What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 US Midterm elections

I think DeSantis is most likely going to be our next president, Democrats have a knack for snatching defeat from the jaws of victory when it comes to the White House

eh everything else aside, if Desantis is the next Rep candidate, the optics of pitting a 46 year old then against an 83 year old Biden will not be good.

The Dems have a severe gerontocracy problem.

Not that the Reps are much better in that front but the Dems truly have some eye opening cases.

eh everything else aside, if Desantis is the next Rep candidate, the optics of pitting a 46 year old then against an 83 year old Biden will not be good.

The Dems have a severe gerontocracy problem.

Not that the Reps are much better in that front but the Dems truly have some eye opening cases.
I think they're going to have a Boy Who Cried Wolf moment, because DeSantis is Trump Cubed. It'll be bad, but hopefully he can't get away with as much as Trump did

Here's the thing, politics is not a field for the young. Never was. People forget that practically every time.
Well it is now

"The lobbying group's $28.5 million blitz could make Democrats think twice about criticizing Israel."

Don't count on it bub

"The lobbying group's $28.5 million blitz could make Democrats think twice about criticizing Israel."

Don't count on it bub
The more they support the Republicans, the more they alienate both the youth of the US, and the diaspora itself outside the ultra-orthodox.

This is poor future planning.

So they have both the office and the house?
I wonder how could they fuck this up?

criticizing Israel is like trying to defend Hitler.
You will be both wrong and morally repugnant.

So they have both the office and the house?
I wonder how could they fuck this up?

criticizing Israel is like trying to defend Hitler.
You will be both wrong and morally repugnant.
Bullshit. Israel's government is a corrupt far rightwing mess, that literally plans on changing the law to prevent the PM from being convicted in cases that are currently ongoing.

So, what part of that was wrong, and which part was morally repugnant?

Bullshit. Israel's government is a corrupt far rightwing mess, that literally plans on changing the law to prevent the PM from being convicted in cases that are currently ongoing.

That is not criticizing, that is stating a fact.

The Democrats definitely need more leaders and candidates who aren't ancient white men. Especially since men like Sanders and Biden are going to start dying faster and faster on them from sheer age, no matter how badly they want "peaked in the 1960s" to be a requirement for the position.

Obama scared everyone so much that after he was out it was 10 years of White Old Med detox time

The Democrats definitely need more leaders and candidates who aren't ancient white men. Especially since men like Sanders and Biden are going to start dying faster and faster on them from sheer age, no matter how badly they want "peaked in the 1960s" to be a requirement for the position.
Mainly because, up until the 1960s, it was only white men. Politics is not a hobby but a job in itself and one for old, well-connected men. The latter requires a lot of work to get the required connections. A lot of people don't get that.
Obama scared everyone so much that after he was out it was 10 years of White Old Med detox time
Obama's ripples caused the GOP to go into MAXIMUM OVERDRIVE in the party purity shenanigans and forced the window right even more. While Obama caught some independents, they were fair-weather at best (given that a fair number of them went to TRUMP last I've checked...).

Looks like progressives and moderates have officially buried the hatchet. Everyone fearmongering about the progressives tanking the party looks pretty hysterical right now.

Looks like progressives and moderates have officially buried the hatchet. Everyone fearmongering about the progressives tanking the party looks pretty hysterical right now.
Oh, they finally realized they have zero chance of winning on the national level with their platform?

A sensible move I guess but does not change the fact that Biden is old.

Hopefully he will remain reasonably cognizant and spry.
Here's the thing, movers and shakers of politics are needed, and people keep forgetting that. Obama was paired up with Biden in the first place because he was a far more experienced politician than Obama and thus was able to get plenty of wheeling and dealing with getting policy done.

Here's the thing, movers and shakers of politics are needed, and people keep forgetting that. Obama was paired up with Biden in the first place because he was a far more experienced politician than Obama and thus was able to get plenty of wheeling and dealing with getting policy done.
I know that in the context you are talking about what you said is correct.
However, the sentiment that they are needed is in my view problematic.

Robin Williams once said "Remember this ladies and gentlemen: It's an old phrase, basically anonymous, politicians are a lot like diapers, they should be changed frequently, and for the same reasons. Keep that in mind the next time you vote,"
Someone attributed the quote to Mark Twain, others disputed it coming from him.

The longer someone is in power the more entrenched he gets. The more entrenched he gets the less worried he is. The less worried he is the less in touch with reality he becomes.
And someone divorced from reality makes dumb decisions.

Not retiring old guard in time is how institutions fall.

A sensible move I guess but does not change the fact that Biden is old.

Hopefully he will remain reasonably cognizant and spry.
Yeah because there aren't many good options for the Democrats to run in 2024. If the best alternative to Biden they can come up with is Buttigieg and Kamala they might just want to stick with Biden for one more go. Give the Fettermans, Josh Shapiros, Raphael Warnocks and etc time to marinate.

Yet they still did it. Criticize Israel and you'd get 'Antisemite' thrown at you.

Back
Top Bottom