What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Penguin Plays RULE THE WAVES

Unfortunately it may take a while for us to get RTW2 and carrier operations.

Guys, it's been a month of no power and internet. Due to the unreliability of cellular internet losing downloads every few minutes or so, it may take up to 30 mins just to finish making a LP post. I don't want to have to ask this, but please. It is too rainy to keep the batteries charged via solar. 😭

Even just $50 buys two weeks of gas and internet. ($3 per day gas, $1 gb internet/day). I am effectively unemployed because of this shit internet, all my work is done online - except for digital art, which needs hours of uninterrupted power.

I may have power restored by the middle of Dec though.

63.3 WAR! - Small Engagement off Northwestern Spain
2020-09-25_025307.png

peng-smallfaces04b.jpg
Those 10-inch guns don't seem to be doing much damage.
Is this really ok?

2020-09-25_025318.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Don't be scared.
>> CA ADONTBE> Sssh.

>>DD PLUTON 4> ... ma'am I am terrified beyond my ability to comprehend.

2020-09-25_025340.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Ow.
>> CA ADONTBE> That's hitting below the belt.

>> CA ADONTBE> That's not... nice.

peng-smallfaces05.jpg
I SPOKE TOO SOON!
Another engine hit!

2020-09-25_025436.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Come back.
>> CA ADONTBE> I just want to be friends.

2020-09-25_025504.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Come back...

2020-09-25_025559.png

>> CA ADONTBE> WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME.

peng-smallfaces04a.jpg

peng-smallfaces02a.jpg
... Yup.
You sure are an ADOBO-class too, all right.

2020-09-25_025602.png

>> CA ADONTBE> I am so disappointed.
>> CA ADONTBE> But that's all right.

>> CA ADONTBE> Someday... we will catch them and drag them and raise them up right.

peng-smallfaces-08a.jpg

(what the hell is wrong with my ships?)

63.4 AFTER ACTION REPORT - Small Engagement off Northwestern Spai
2020-09-25_025603.png

peng-smallfaces02a.jpg
Hmm.
That came off surprisingly even.

2020-09-25_025614.png

peng-smallfaces-01.jpg
So this is the track.

We started off at just around 12NN.

Things were doing fine until about 14:00, when CA ADOBE took a below the belt hit.

She slowed down to 15 knots, which was fine for a while until 15:00 when flooding (not flotation damage) from high speed caused her to slow down to 8 knots.

Then it was too dark to see anything.

2020-09-25_025610.png

peng-smallfaces04b.jpg
So the VETTOR PISANI really was just... cowering and hiding there.

>> CA ADONTBE> Oh the poor dear.
>> CA ADONTBE> Don't worry. I don't bite.

peng-smallfaces-08a.jpg
That...
That sounds like a lie.

>> CA ADONTBE> (looks excessively innocent)

2020-09-25_025618.png

peng-smallfaces02a.jpg
It is becoming clear that speed may be of more value to us than armor.

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
... is CA FANTASTICA actually Rainbow Dash?

63.1 WAR! - Spain vs Italy - June, July 1910
2020-09-25_025620.png

peng-smallfaces-01.jpg
Lots of actionable Intel this month.

1) Austria Hungary getting a BC might be trouble in the future, we don't have any capital ships capable of faster than 21 knots.

2) Regarding France's ballistic capabilities - there are two ways to get a read on that.
-- a) Sneak in get drunk and get a copy of their ballistic performance data tables, or
-- b) Look at the Design screen and ask for a build spec and see if their guns are Quality +1 compared to our Quality 0 guns.

3) Why do we even care about what the CSA are doing?
-- Because anything that distracts the US from roflstomping our enemies for free is bad for us.

4) Italy... is behind us in light forces and torpedo warfare, because apparently they have gone all in on the battlewagons and their DDs aren't making any suicide torpedo runs.

5) France is doing shenanigans against Italy too.

2020-09-25_025640.png

peng-smallfaces02.jpg
Very good.
Quality over quantity, boys.

2020-09-25_025641.png

peng-smallfaces02.jpg
Also good, we can free up MS back into Foreign Service.

2020-09-25_025644.png

>> CA ADOBO> BOOGA CHAKA BOOGA CHAKA BOOGA CHAKA!
>> CA ADOBO> THIS RAID TRAIN HAS NO BRAKES WAHAHAHAHA!

2020-09-25_025647.png

>> CA ADOBO> ** crashes into an office building somehow **

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
Go to your room.

2020-09-25_025648.png

2020-09-25_025650.png

peng-smallfaces04b.jpg
These guys look happy that ADOBO's gone bye bye.

2020-09-25_025652.png

peng-smallfaces07b.jpg
... how.
The Mediterranean is only so big and Italy is right in the middle of it!

How could you forget to load up on coal?!

duck-smallfaces-01c.jpg
Italy has very poor coal reserves, you know.
Primarily around Tuscany, but even then not of good quality.

Almost all of it has to be imported from Germany and the UK.

peng-smallfaces04a.jpg
So if we just keep on fighting they might... just run out of fuel for their ships?
But if France isn't allowing passage, there is still the Austria-Hungary back door.

duck-smallfaces-01b.jpg
Overland transport would still be much less efficient than sea deliveries though.

2020-09-25_025654.png

peng-smallfaces04.jpg
Now we're talking!
You pastas better not Decline Battle and waste my time!

I'll paella your polpetta!

peng-smallfaces-12d.jpg
Ugh. I am depressed.
Not even sad, just a general 'well fuck this life, then'.

When bad things happen can't even get mad anymore. That's just how things have to be.

peng-smallfaces-12a.jpg
I don't know what happened but I seem to have fried my 3 TB drive.
Fortunately this LP and other important files are on a separate SSD boot drive and backed up to Dropbox.

All I lost were several years of downloaded games, books, movies, comics, and other miscellaneous data. Things I had mostly ceased to pay attention to anyway.

peng-smallfaces02.jpg
No post until later tonight.
It has finally stopped raining and I'm off to stand in line to buy gas.

Stay safe. How expensive is a TB drive?

Stay safe. How expensive is a TB drive?
2 TB new costs about P3500 or $70, but that's not important right now. That could get me another 100W panel or a 40AH battery. Or two weeks of gas.

I'll get one for long term storage once power returns and I can get back to work. My main ssd is 480 GB and the only thing I play anymore is Rimworld anyway, so... this isn't as much painful as 'what a fucking waste'. Sigh.

63.2 WAR! - Fleet Battle off the Balearic Islands
2020-09-25_025704.png

peng-smallfaces05.jpg
Battlegroup FORM UP!

>> BB BARACO> Dreadnought BARACO, reporting!
>> BB BARBARA> Dreadnought BARBARA, reporting!

>> CA ADOBE> Heavy Cruiser ADOBE, reporting!

2020-09-25_025724.png

peng-smallfaces02.jpg
Ok. So ADOBE, we don't need you to scout for the enemy fleet.
Fleet battle tends to have them cross paths soon enough anyway.

>> CA ADOBE> Understood. Turning to join formation.

2020-09-25_025800.png

>> CA ADOBE> Reporting contact -
>> CA ADOBE> One BB, one B, potentially light forces.

2020-09-25_025820.png

peng-smallfaces-010c.jpg
None of those are CLs or AMCs!
INTEL A SHITE!

>> CA ADOBE> To be fair, our intel is pretty good regarding, um, France.

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
I am surprised at how reliable is info gathered from pubs and brothels but that is not the point right now.

2020-09-25_025829.png

peng-smallfaces07b.jpg
STAND AND FIGHT!
YOU PASTAS!

WHERE ARE YOUR BALLS?!

2020-09-25_025905.png

>> BB BARACO> Looks like they lost them.
>> BB BARACO> I don't blame them. 2 BB vs 1 BB and 1 B means twelve 12-inchers versus eight.

>> BB BARBARA> I do have this thing though.
images

2020-09-25_025924.png

>> CA ADOBE> They do still have those DDs.

>> BB BARACO> A suicide torpedo run demands a willingness to die however.
>> BB BARACO> Or more inspiring leadership.
>> BB BARACO> ... or a general insanity.

>> CA ADOBE> I'm an ADOBO-class, I don't want to die. But I'm not going to shirk my duty.

>> BB BARBARA> Hi, ADOBE. You sure took a wide turn getting out of their gun range.

>> CA ADOBE> Sorry about that.
>> CA ADOBE> If they get the nerve I'll do the anti-Destroyer screen.

2020-09-25_030106.png

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
Why are we slowing down?

>> BB BARACO> I... don't know. Give me a second...
>> BB BARACO> There seems to be some sort of... interference...

peng-smallfaces04.jpg
Stop. I know where that line comes from and I don't need THE BEAST cutting loose in my ocean.

Last edited:
63.3 WAR! - Fleet Battle off the Balearic Islands
2020-09-25_030131.png

>> BB BARACO> Noooo.

2020-09-25_030137.png

>> CA ADOBO> We started this at approximately 14:30 or 2:30 PM.
>> CA ADOBO> Half an afternoon is clearly not enough time for this sort of thing.

2020-09-25_030157.png

peng-smallfaces07b.jpg
That does it!
WE NEED BATTLECRUISERS.

>> BB BARACO> Can you afford ripping out our engines and giving us new ones?
>> BB BARACO> It would still be faster than waiting 32 months for a new Battlecruiser.

2020-09-25_030215.png

peng-smallfaces-12a.jpg
Let's talk about that after we win.

63.4 AFTER ACTION REPORT - Fleet Battle off the Balearic Island
2020-09-25_030217.png

peng-smallfaces03.jpg
What?
We have ZERO points for damage.

peng-smallfaces04.jpg
DID YOU *ALL* JUST SO HAPPEN TO MISS *ALL OF YOUR SHOTS* through a *four-hour running battle*?!

2020-09-25_030226.png

peng-smallfaces06c.jpg
From 14:30 to 18:00 the track was a simple line running East.

>> BB BARACO> I have no excuse.

>> CA ADOBE> All our shots?
>> CA ADOBE> Put like that, that does sound... inconceivable.

2020-09-25_030232.png

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
Did the Italians unearth the Lance of Longinus or something?

Okay, that is just unbelievable. This is the first time I saw this result in Rule the Waves. Uh maybe instead of increasing speed, the Spanish navy either needs more guns to make up for abysmal accuracy or new tech that increases accuracy. You have found a solid strategy, you just need the tools and skilled sailors to implement it.

I honestly wonder how the world in this run would react to this kind of news.

Okay, that is just unbelievable. This is the first time I saw this result in Rule the Waves. Uh maybe instead of increasing speed, the Spanish navy either needs more guns to make up for abysmal accuracy or new tech that increases accuracy. You have found a solid strategy, you just need the tools and skilled sailors to implement it.

I honestly wonder how the world in this run would react to this kind of news.
The great naval powers laughing for hours and sending kindergarten-level manuals to the Spanish Admiralty?

64.1 WAR! - Spain vs Italy - July 1910
2020-09-25_030234.png

(rumors of failing morale in the Italian fleet)

peng-smallfaces04a.jpg
And yet...

>> BB BARACO> We're not the main enemy, that's the US instead.
>> BB BARACO> They have been losing Battleships.

peng-smallfaces04b.jpg
Our morale is super high despite being carried by the US and the Spanish Army.
Because of that I will not reinstitute flogging as punishment for such abysmal performance

2020-09-25_030236.png

peng-smallfaces03.jpg
Whoa!
That is a HUGE reduction in Patrol requirements.
What did the Italians lose last month?

duck-smallfaces-01c.jpg
I think it's more about how they lack the strategic initiative that would demand more patrolling ships.

>> BB BARBARA> I think they used up whatever spooky sea magic they had.

>> CA ADOBE> I think they realized it was no match for our lousy dry country magic.

peng-smallfaces04b.jpg
Yes the reason the Spanish had a hobby of invasion was because no one wanted to actually have to live in Spain.

2020-09-25_030328.png

peng-smallfaces02a.jpg
Hmm.
FURIOSA and FANTASTICA are doing Foreign Service instead of Raiders while Lechon is doing that so much she has become the only other Elite crew in the fleet.

peng-smallfaces-12c.jpg
That makes no sense, ADOBO has sunk many more ships.

>> BB BARACO> LECHON is merely useless, not insane.

peng-smallfaces04g.jpg
That... makes sense.

2020-09-25_030330.png

peng-smallfaces-08.jpg
Slowly whittling them down.

2020-09-25_030332.png

peng-smallfaces-08a.jpg
1 CA in Northern Spain vs 2 CA.

peng-smallfaces04a.jpg
Wait, that's ADONTBE.

>> CA ADONTBE> *smiles softly*

Our morale is super high despite being carried by the US and the Spanish Army.
I think it's high precisely because the Spanish fleet knows they are being carried. They know that so long as they don't badly screw up the odds would still be in their favor. And that knowledge would also badly affect the Italian fleet. They could at best only stalemate the Spanish Fleet, while the American Navy and the Spanish Army grind them from the side. They had their chance during the earlier battles when they almost sunk one of your Battleships. But failure to capitalize on that plus the sinking of the their own Pre-dreadnought removed that chance. If I was a sailor in the Italian Navy I would be demoralized as well. It shows that the admirals and leaders were not doing their jobs properly. No amount of effort on the low level could make up for the strategic screw up on the higher level. Plus they ran away from an enemy who did not even hit them. Surely when the Italian Admiral realized that despite being under fire none of his ships were reporting damage he might have grown bold and turned and fight. Instead he just kept running away.

I think it's high precisely because the Spanish fleet knows they are being carried. They know that so long as they don't badly screw up the odds would still be in their favor. And that knowledge would also badly affect the Italian fleet. They could at best only stalemate the Spanish Fleet, while the American Navy and the Spanish Army grind them from the side. They had their chance during the earlier battles when they almost sunk one of your Battleships. But failure to capitalize on that plus the sinking of the their own Pre-dreadnought removed that chance. If I was a sailor in the Italian Navy I would be demoralized as well. It shows that the admirals and leaders were not doing their jobs properly. No amount of effort on the low level could make up for the strategic screw up on the higher level. Plus they ran away from an enemy who did not even hit them. Surely when the Italian Admiral realized that despite being under fire none of his ships were reporting damage he might have grown bold and turned and fight. Instead he just kept running away.
That is an amazing ipso facto justification.

Now if we could just figure out why US and Italy have such a gigantic hate-on... :p

Now if we could just figure out why US and Italy have such a gigantic hate-on
Hmm, maybe it's because Spain has an antagonistic diplomacy with the CSA? I mean unless I am mistaken Spain still retains Cuba in this timeline. Therefore, by keeping Spain close to them the CSA has to worry of Cuba while the US has a friendly naval base in the region. As such, fighting in this war is the price the US is willing to pay to keep such an arrangement. Also I suspect that this war is giving the US Navy both valuable prestige and experience. With the CSA existence I doubt the US Navy has had the opportunity or need to operate so far from home. This war is giving them the practical experience that the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_Fleet would have shown, and arguably more since they had to fight now rather than the courtesy visits the Great White Fleet did.

Hmm, maybe it's because Spain has an antagonistic diplomacy with the CSA? I mean unless I am mistaken Spain still retains Cuba in this timeline. Therefore, by keeping Spain close to them the CSA has to worry of Cuba while the US has a friendly naval base in the region. As such, fighting in this war is the price the US is willing to pay to keep such an arrangement. Also I suspect that this war is giving the US Navy both valuable prestige and experience. With the CSA existence I doubt the US Navy has had the opportunity or need to operate so far from home. This war is giving them the practical experience that the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_White_Fleet would have shown, and arguably more since they had to fight now rather than the courtesy visits the Great White Fleet did.
In the long term, being really friendly with Spain would be a huge boon for the USN projection capabilities. It makes for a strong and hard to invade naval position that can control the Western Mediterannean and seriously threaten Gibraltar as a way to keep UK favourably neutral: after all, with Spain, you have naval bases in the Med that can be supplied trom the Atlantic, and good luck shitting on them from any direction. No Monroe doctrine either means the alliance can help secure the Western Hemisphere adequately.

65.1 WAR! - Small Engagement off Northwestern Spain
2020-09-25_030340.png

peng-smallfaces04f.jpg
It is ADONTBE and her puppies.

2020-09-25_030345.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Oh hello.

2020-09-25_030403.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Nice to see you again.

2020-09-25_030414.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Would you kindly please stay this time?

2020-09-25_030422.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Stay forever.

>> CA VETTOR PISANI-class> ** desperate shooting noises **

2020-09-25_030435.png

peng-smallfaces04e.jpg
Wait - 10-inch guns are supposed to be Heavy guns, right?
Is eight inches really no longer enough to deal with medium guns?

2020-09-25_030504.png

>> CA ADONTBE> Am I doing this right?

2020-09-25_030526.png

>> CA ADONTBE> They say actions speak louder than words.
>> CA ADONTBE> It's really hard for me to speak.
>> CA ADONTBE> Social interaction is so scary.

>> CA VETTOR PISANI-class> ** incoherent screaming **

2020-09-25_030545.png

>> CA VETTOR PISANI-class> ** turns away from the coastline blocking its escape **

peng-smallfaces02a.jpg
You know, if you ram yourself into the beach she can't sink you anymore, right?

Back
Top Bottom