What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adult Swim severs ties with Justin Roiland

Alias

Adult Swim gots plans for like 70 more episodes. So it’s going to continue for the time being.

Marek_Gutkowski

Author
But will you still need 250 IQ to appreciate this show?
I don't know why people praise R&M so much for being intelligent.
It is a show about depression and alienation.
I heard that the driving philosophy behind it is constructive nihilism. or something.
No, its not!

It is about cynicism and glorifying cynicism is not new nor is it original. You can find that as early as the Enlightenment Period. Denis Diderot's most famous work "Jacques le Fataliste et son maître" published in 1796 similar themes in it. And everything else is laced with improvisational theatre. And lazy improv at that.

In a semi related news;
I just learned that Inside Job got the axe.

Inside Job is a Netflix animated series that borrowed strongly from Rick & Morty.
It was about the shadow government and poked fun at different things at random. Just like R&M does.

So circling back to why R&M is not as smart as people give it credit to.
What with all those shows that are based on the idea of one smart person surrounded by idiots?
That sort of writing shows that the author has little respect for other humans. And far more damning very very limited personal interactions.
It works as a basis of a story. Blackadder is an example from the top of my head. But that way you get caricatures not characters.

My favorite episode of R&M was the universe in a bottle one. Where our main character was pitted against someone of equal intelligence. The triumph however didn't come from any innate superiority Rick had. It came from the playing field between the two not being equal, to begin with.

Rick and Morty as a show has the pretensions of being intelligent. I would also say it does try to be smart, on occasion. But most of the time the show is simplistic.

Marek_Gutkowski

Author
Because those who like it and try to use it to justify being assholes like Rick need an ego-stroking retort when people call them on their behaviour. That's it.
For that to be true it would require the hypothetical person that sings this show's praises to be functionally illiterate. And social recluses.

So I guess the answer is; R&M is a show that looks smart so dumb people feel smarter for understanding it.

Rufus Shinra

For that to be true it would require the hypothetical person that sings this show's praises to be functionally illiterate. And social recluses.

So I guess the answer is; R&M is a show that looks smart so dumb people feel smarter for understanding it.
Functionally illiterate social recluse assholes? Why, yes, you just described the R&M megafans, congratulations. These are people who think themselves the Ricks of this world and find justification for their assholish behaviour when, in fact, they are simply losers.

Top Bottom