What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Horizons: Inner Sphere - Quest

[X] Establishing Headquarters:
One of the first things to do is of course to search for a place to build or rebuild a headquarters for the Defense Council. For the time being there is precious little that can be done without headquarters and a bureaucracy to deal with the things that will come up sooner or later.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 90%, Reward: +1 action
Please write in a potential HQ
Cheyenne Mountain Complex

[X] Initial Survey:
The first few surveys have discovered three systems with habitable planets and human populations. It is the best if there was a much more intense initial survey of the space surrounding the local cluster.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 75% Reward: (40+3d20)% of all systems outside of the Walker Cluster surveyed (up to 60ly), followup action allows to survey the remaining space

[X] Why not remain?:
With 14 nations not taking part in the WCDC there are some nations that are on the edge of leaving the WCDC and join one of the three (okay lets be real, its actually just two) rival organizations and gain 'better' status.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 85%, Reward: the 1d6 nations that thought about leaving, remain in the WCDC

[X] Stronger Economy:
With the knowledge about the sheer size of the policies outside of the local cluster, some of which count several hundred systems, immediate action is needed. When they get contact they could well flood the markets of the local cluster with cheap goods made in hundreds of systems. So the WCDC needs to prepare for that inevitable moment and strengthen the economy and give incentives to build closer links of trade within the local cluster.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: +10 on internal trade actions, the beginnings of a WCDC merchant marine (of sorts)

[X] Central Campus:
The research campus is of course one of the traditional ways to centralize research, but too centralized is always a bad idea as things can become entrenched and the scientific method ignored. So instead there needs to be a place that can take in information, make decisions and offer grants to any research project that can help the local cluster in the long run.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 80%, Reward: +1 scientific action
Seoul, Korea

Get an extra two actions. Hopefully prevent some nations from leaving, start a proto merchant marine, and do some more surveys.

[X] Navy Men

No landed dropships, no Mechs stomping your cities.

[X] Initial Survey

[X] Selecting a Main Office

I suggest Luxembourg, just for kicks.

[X] Agile Economy

[X] New and old Physics

Edit: deleted one of my WCDC actions. Ooops?

Last edited:
You picked two actions for WCDC Defense Council when you can only pick 1 action for that category.

[x] Establishing Headquarters:
One of the first things to do is of course to search for a place to build or rebuild a headquarters for the Defense Council. For the time being there is precious little that can be done without headquarters and a bureaucracy to deal with the things that will come up sooner or later.
-Beijing
Because US or Eurocentrism always is booooring

[x] Spy Central:
As the nascent intelligence agency for the WCDC, the Survey Office does need their own headquarters, where data can be gathered, collated and suggestions be made for the Defense Council.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 90%, Reward: +1 intelligence action
-Berlin -Spread it out!-

[x] Why not remain?:
With 14 nations not taking part in the WCDC there are some nations that are on the edge of leaving the WCDC and join one of the three (okay lets be real, its actually just two) rival organizations and gain 'better' status.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 85%, Reward: the 1d6 nations that thought about leaving, remain in the WCDC

I really wanted the extra action but a firm foundation and all that

Much like any other organization, there needs to be a central point where decisions can be made by the economists of the WCDC to make more and better decisions with the information available.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 80%, Reward: +1 economic action
New York -A must at this point!-

[x] Central Campus:
The research campus is of course one of the traditional ways to centralize research, but too centralized is always a bad idea as things can become entrenched and the scientific method ignored. So instead there needs to be a place that can take in information, make decisions and offer grants to any research project that can help the local cluster in the long run.
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 80%, Reward: +1 scientific action
Jerat Imperial Palace -Earth centrism would probably reflect even worse.-

Jerat Imperial Palace -Earth centrism would probably reflect even worse.-
Indeed...

There is no need to put everything on Earth. Just go ahead and make up places and even one or two nations outside of Earth...

Also Jerat is home to about eight different nations.

With the limited voting we get here, I wonder how I'm going to deal with a situation where everyone votes differently... >_>

For one I expected everyone to go for the HQs...

EDIT:

Would be nice to get some help in that regard...

Last edited:
Please don't move the quest. :(

Denver, Colorado.

[X] Deep Signal Intelligence:
With the information provided by the mercenaries of Köhler Military Services it is possible to begin some long range intelligence gathering missions. Initial targets of these missions would be the Lothian League and the Illyrian Palatinate.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%, Reward: Simple signal intelligence network that needs to be regularly visited to collect the intelligence
Good SIGINT seems like a great start.

[X] Stronger Economy:
With the knowledge about the sheer size of the policies outside of the local cluster, some of which count several hundred systems, immediate action is needed. When they get contact they could well flood the markets of the local cluster with cheap goods made in hundreds of systems. So the WCDC needs to prepare for that inevitable moment and strengthen the economy and give incentives to build closer links of trade within the local cluster.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: +10 on internal trade actions, the beginnings of a WCDC merchant marine (of sorts)
Good Economy!

[X] New and old Physics:
The Heim-Feynman theory is the basis of a number of advanced technologies used systems used to travel between planets and stars, but there is now a new theory that has come to the attention of the scientists at CERN, the Kearny-Fuchida theory. Perhaps Darcia Sandoval from the mercenaries can be brought to CERN and give a series of lectures on the properties of the Kearny-Fuchida theory to make the scientists there more familiar with the new theory.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 75%, Reward: Kearny-Fuchida theory, 2 new research options

Neat quest.

Denver, Colorado.

With the information provided by the mercenaries of Köhler Military Services it is possible to begin some long range intelligence gathering missions. Initial targets of these missions would be the Lothian League and the Illyrian Palatinate.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%, Reward: Simple signal intelligence network that needs to be regularly visited to collect the intelligence

[X] Stronger Economy:
Good Economy!

[X] New and old Physics:
The Heim-Feynman theory is the basis of a number of advanced technologies used systems used to travel between planets and stars, but there is now a new theory that has come to the attention of the scientists at CERN, the Kearny-Fuchida theory. Perhaps Darcia Sandoval from the mercenaries can be brought to CERN and give a series of lectures on the properties of the Kearny-Fuchida theory to make the scientists there more familiar with the new theory.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 75%, Reward: Kearny-Fuchida theory, 2 new research options

[X] We want to help:
Three systems outside of the local cluster have been discovered to be the home of humans. Every one of them remembers a bit of their past and it would be a good idea to offer them help and in the least open diplomatic relations with them.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 65%, Reward: diplomatic relations with three human systems, new Trade option available

Last edited:
Neat quest.

Denver, Colorado.

[X] Stronger Economy:
Good Economy!

[X] New and old Physics:

Hey! I think you're copying my vote! :mad:

Anyway, for my diplomatic vote.

[X] We want to help:
Three systems outside of the local cluster have been discovered to be the home of humans. Every one of them remembers a bit of their past and it would be a good idea to offer them help and in the least open diplomatic relations with them.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 65%, Reward: diplomatic relations with three human systems, new Trade option available

Updated the Map with all three already discovered worlds.

And added a short list with those worlds, their distance to Sol, and a note about the world.

I got only a body :(

Would make a dozen sockpuppets to vote all over the place but would never be able to remember so many different accounts 😭

Anyway drop a note if you do. Will follow it whereverer
You would also get banned if you tried to do that. :p

You would also get banned if you tried to do that. :p

Yy I know I know.

Too much effort anyway :p

PS: I was kidding ofc. Literally the only time I even considered making a sock out of sheer curiosity, many many years back, I gave up on the second step.

I kinda admire the sheer dedication of people actually going through with it. I mean, make a new email adress? Much less more of them? Different passes? Remember them? New nicks?

Brrrr, not even once.

Hey! I think you're copying my vote! :mad:

Anyway, for my diplomatic vote.

[X] We want to help:
If I copy your votes then that means it'll go through for sure!

@Warringer, if you are confused with the lack of a clear majority, I suggest that you either go for the plural vote, or possibly, even choose the one that interests you the most. That's what I usually do for quests that has a low response rate.

If I copy your votes then that means it'll go through for sure!
I take it that you'd go for Jakarta's diplomatic vote as well?
@Warringer, if you are confused with the lack of a clear majority, I suggest that you either go for the plural vote, or possibly, even choose the one that interests you the most. That's what I usually do for quests that has a low response rate.
I might do that...

MAybe I should go for counting each option as one vote for any of the actions, instead of one vote for a series of actions.

Turn 1 - Results
And we have the results of Turn 1.

I've taken every single department on its own and went for the most votes. In two cases, there were two votes for two actions, where I needed to make a decision. So I rolled a 1d6 for each, with even numbers for one option and uneven for the other.

So, without further ado, the results of Turn 1:

Code:
WCDC Defense Council:
[X] Establishing Headquarters - 4 - Denver(2)
Roll 1d100: 47 - Simple Success

WCDC Survey Office:
[X] Initial Survey - 2
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 75% Reward: (40+3d20)% of all systems outside of the Walker Cluster surveyed (up to 60ly), followup action allows to survey the remaining space
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 31 - Marginal Success

WCDC Diplomatic Corps:
[X] Why not remain? - 2
Roll 1d100: 18 - Just barely a success

WCDC Trade Organization:
[X] Stronger Economy - 3
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 65 - Success

WCDC Office for Science and Development
[X] New and old Physics - 3
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 12 - Failure

That means that next turn, there will only be two actions avaiable for use. Or rather three, due to the Headquarters of the Defense Council.

Last edited:
Turn 1 - Autumn 2174/3024 Content
The Autumn of the Year 2174, or 3024 saw quite a lot of development within the Walker Cluster. The Walker Cluster Defense Committee had been founded and within it five sub organizations had come into being. And within each of these organizations, different things had been prioritized.

WCDC Defense Council:

[] Establishing Headquarters - 4 votes - Denver(2)
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 90%
Roll 1d100: 47 - Simple Success

There had been a lot of back and forth between all the member nations of the WCDC about who would be hosting the headquarters of the newly formed WCDC Defense Council for almost two months from its temporary headquarters in the Imperial Palace on Jerat.

The United States of America first had attempted to use its old power and push the other nations into accepting Colorado Springs and the old Cheyenne Mountain Complex as the new headquarters, stating that it had been the home for aerospace and space defense for the United States for more than 200 years. Extensive upgrade had of course been used to expand and modernize the structure. While there had been some interest, it had been shot down by the US Space Forces themselves, stating that the Cheyenne Mountain Complex was still an active base and the heart of US aerospace defense. So why the fuck were the politicians trying to push it into the hands of the new WCDC?

Beijing had also been on the table as home for the new headquarters and with Colorado Springs falling out of the race, it had appeared to be a good replacement candidate. It was situated in a mega city of more than a hundred million people and as such would have access to all the amenities of such a metroplex. On the other hand, the United States and the European Union noted that Beijing was the capital city of one of the largest nations in Sol, with almost one quarter of the population of the system being Chinese, only barely beating the Indians. And as such, it was feared by more and more of the Sol based nations that Beijing would force itself into a larger and larger role within the WCDC.

While Brussels, the Jerat Imperial City in Beta Virginis, Shaghen City in 61 Virginis had come up, the United States had returned into the frey by suggesting Denver north of their previous choice of Colorado Springs. While previously they had suggested an existing military base, now they were offering the site of the Rocky Mountain Arcology, an arcology project for ten thousand people that had one of the first arcologies on Earth, but had failed just before opening, when Rocky Mountain Arcology Co. had gone bankrupt. There had been multiple attempts to open the arcology in the past hundred years, but all had failed. The structure itself was sound as was most of its infrastructure, even after more than a century, thanks to Rocky Mountain Arcology Co. overengineering the entire project to space born construction standarts. Currently the Rocky Mountain Arcology was owned by the US Department for Housing and Urban Development, who had tried to revitalize the structure for the last fifty years.

The US Government was willing to provide the structure free of charge for the WCDC Defense Council, even planning to pay for half of the costs needed to upgrade it, so that it could be used by the WCDC Defense Council.

After intense talks, and with resistance from China, the WCDC Defense Council had come down in favour of the Rocky Mountain Arcology, though China would provide the majority of technology to upgrade the Arcology.

Reward: +1 action

WCDC Survey Office:
[] Initial Survey - 2 votes
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 75%
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 31 - Marginal Success

The WCDC Survey Office on the other hand decided that choosing headquarters, a full survey of all systems in a sphere 60 ly around the center of the Walker Cluster was needed, as the members of Köhler Military Services had notified that almost the entire 'Periphery' of the Inner Sphere had Pirate Problems. Additionally the people of Llyn Ogwen had been on the receiving end of a Pirate Raid only a year previous and were still rebuinding part of their capital city.

As such, the WCDC Survey Office requested spacecraft to set up twenty surnvey squadrons, aimed to speed up the survey of the space around the Walker Cluster as quickly and efficiently as possible. However, only spacecraft of Escort and Guardian types as well as some tanker and supply spacecraft had been requested, as it was expected that Bombardment type spacecraft might not be seen as peaceful by any of the habitated systems. Additionally it was decided to mix the squadrons in nationality in an attempt to foster closer cooperation between the member nations of the WCDC.

Finally, after almost six weeks of setting up and supplying the survey squadrons, they moved out to begin their survey.

By the end of Autumn, the squadrons had discovered two additional habitated systems and prepared for the discovery of more.

Active for 1 more turn

WCDC Diplomatic Corps:
[] Why not remain? - 2 votes
Time: 1 turn, Chance of success: 85%
Roll 1d100: 18 - Just barely a success

As they were blocked during the talks over the WCDC Defense Council Headquarters by almost every other nations, the Peoples Republic of China loudly wondered whether it was a good idea to remain within the WCDC, threatening to leave the organization before it had even begun to really find its own. Additionally several nations in Chinas sphere of influence, the Republic of Korea and Mongolia, were influenced by by China to follow them, should they choose to leave.

This sent panic through the WCDC as China leaving would lead to massive repercussions and might make other nations that had only just become partners, like Brazil, think about leaving. It made the WCDC Diplomatic Corps scramble heavily and intense talks in Beijing were the result.

China was slated to become a core part of the WCDC for the fact that it was the largest of the human nations and massive industrial powerhouse alone. Not to mention the massive fleets of spacecraft the People Liberation Army Space Forces would provide to the WCDC. So the Diplomatic Corps concentrated on these facts, only barely managing to keep China as partner within the WCDC, making large concessions to the Middle Kingdom.

While the WCDC Defense Council would not make its headquarters in Beijing, the majority of all contracts to upgrade the Rocky Mountain Arcology were given to Chinese corporations. Additionally Chien Yue, then Prime Minister of China, was slated to become the first General Secrety of the Walker Cluster Defense Committee.

Reward: China, Korea and Mongolia remain in the WCDC
Additional: Large Chinese influence in the WCDC for the first 20 turns

WCDC Trade Organization:
[] Stronger Economy - 3 votes
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 60%
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 65 - Success

While there were large problems on the diplomatic front, the newly formed WCDC Trade Organization was able to begin their work successfully. While pirate raids were a distanstant possibility, most of the corporations within the nations of the WCDC were more fearful of the large industrial capabilities of the Successor States. With hundreds of planets for each of these polities commanded would come massive industrial complexes churning out goods that could flood the nations of the WCDC, once their existance was known.

To combat these fears the members of the WCDC Trade Organizations began to work on plans to get the economy of the Three Systems onto an even footing. Plans were drawn up provide incentives for increasing the nascant internal trade between the nations and to build more civilian transport spacecraft capable of FTL travel.

Active for 1 more turn

WCDC Office for Science and Development
[] New and old Physics - 3 votes
Roll 1 of 2, 1d100: 12 - Failure

The new Office of Science and Development initially thought about finding new headquarters, but some of the scientists within the organization noted that it was more important to try and come to terms with the new Kearny-Fuchida theory that was so important for the form of FTL travel used by the Inner Sphere as compared to the Heim-Feynman theory used by the Three Systems. After all the KF jump drive was an instantanious mode of transport, while the HF Event Generator was continous and needed time to move between the stars. Maybe it was possible to understand the theory and build their own Jump Drives and combine them with the HF Event Generator? And KD theory apparently had the potential to allow FTL communication, the holy grail of theoretical physics for the last fifty years!

So the Office of Science and Development gave grant money to CERN to try and get Doctor Darcia Sandoval of Köhler Military Services to CERN and explain KF theory to some of the best theoretical physicists on Earth. While the attempt was made, Doctor Sandoval declined the initial offers, stating that she was merely a mechanic and needed to take care of the Battle Mechs. For the time being all further attempts failed.

Active for 1 more turn

Back
Top Bottom