What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Andor

At fists I thought it was some Lord of The Rings spin off.

But its Star Wars.

Milk that money cow Disney!

I'll watch it, but it sure isn't looking to be great for a series about rebellion.

Unless this is the teen rebellion part, with large gongs and throat singing, and not the fighting a massive empire rebellion.

What I want most is to meet that red droid, and for us to be friends.

Saw the name and thought what the heck is Disney+ doing with a Wheel of Time property, Amazon is already ruining it.

Turns out it's one of those Star Wars thing.

Decided to watch this because my Disney+ subscription is running out soon.

This show is substantially better than the Obi Wan show. The pacing of the first 3 episodes so far is quite slow but I think it made it up by spending its sweet time getting familiar up the titular character + some worldbuilding, this show is probably the most we see of the "lower levels" of the Star Wars universe: the rebellion doesn't seem to even exist yet, the bad guys are megacorp goons, no empire, and the story seems to be focusing on Andor primarily with only hints of future rebel stuff in the third episode.

But even it is hilarious that they're putting much more effort into a spin-off show about a character that died in the very same movie he debuted than into a show about the franchise's most iconic character. I think this show even have bigger budget than Obi Wan.

I'd dare say that this show is on par with season 1 Mandalorian so far. Even make me want to lengthen my subscription.

I think the writer have figured out that if it doesn't have the Jedi or the 'main cast', Kennedy doesn't give a shot about it so they can play around and give their best.

It shows.

I like how Andor doesn't start as some plucky heroic underdog, he's a bottom-feeding criminal who aside from finding his sister, just swindles his way through life and is chased by corpo security not for doing something heroic but cold-blooded murder out of convenience when he accidentally killed one of theirs.

Really hoping the Empire when they show up won't be their typical bumbling Disney-self but an intimidating presence with everyone at risk if you draw their ire.

Definately better than Kenobi or the Boba Fett show, where I just stopped caring early on because of bad writing and directing.

Honestly the show feels too mature, with the scene of when Syril gets fired for his fuck-up, he has to drag his belongings in travel cases through a space port and public transport only to end up at his mom's tiny flat because he has nowhere else to go.

Or that the Rebellion's biggest concern is not Faith or Courage but simply Money because being a rebel ain't cheap.

And I like how the bad guys are the Imperial Security Bureau, doing typical government bureacracy instead of gloating how many puppies they snapped the necks of. Their director being Qyburn from Game of Thrones helps a lot in the mundane evil aspect.

Absolutely hilarious that the nerds complained about the first 3 episodes "lacking easter eggs", and in this episode they are dropping massive references left and right from the Rakatans to fucking Starkiller.

Spoiled children, what can you do? *Shrugs*

I'm not really a big fan of Star Wars, for several reasons (it leans on too much fantasy for my taste, poorly thought-out scenes/dialogues, etc.), but I'd say this: give a good writer some leeway, and he'll make it better.

IMO, that's what happened here. This show feels much more mature than say... Mandalorian which, btw, begins in the most boring way: a Mandalorian walks into a bar... :rolleyes:

Another banger episode from one of the good Star Wars media in the past 10 years*. Continues going strong with the character-driven story, decent worldbuilding interspersed in the dialogues naturally, actually pretty big lore drop of Mon Mothma having a daughter (future Glup Shitto), slow burn as always but they made every second worth it, and they also call blasters "guns".

*how sad is that?

Must be a world with history with slugthrowers, or the writers didn't check their terms.

I loved the Imperial goon on Ferrix who wanted the job title of 'Prefect' and Blevin going 'WHATEVER MOTHERFUCKER!'.

So Motha has a husband and a daughter who both are absent in the OT, a little 'MY FAMILY IS DEAD' drama in the works that pushes Motha to go full Rebel?

And Karn's mom is really asking to get smothered in her bed Joaquin Joker-style.

Honestly given how utterly evil Imperials have been in almost every SW story, having Imps use reverse psychology to slowly drive natives from their sacred lands instead of just killing them all at once seems almost absurdly progressive. Or that officer risking his life to get the family out of harm.

That was some Dark Eldar shit right there.

"We once exterminated an entire alien race over them objecting to us putting down a fuel station on their world, and their dying wails reduced our comm officers to broken wrecks. So naturally we thought they'd make a good interrogation tool, especially the wails of the children."

That was some Dark Eldar shit right there.

"We once exterminated an entire alien race over them objecting to us putting down a fuel station on their world, and their dying wails reduced our comm officers to broken wrecks. So naturally we thought they'd make a good interrogation tool, especially the wails of the children."

Ballsy of the writers. Good for them.

Ballsy of the writers. Good for them.

I also like them being upfront with the female Imperial being a fascist thug, instead of the Girlboss Cringe so many other shows have going on.

I wonder too and I hope we'll know soon because right now he's annoying as hell...
He thinks he's the detective hero in a film noir, that's how I explain his behaviour because he's Patrick Bateman-ing it hard.

I´ve a question....
The prison depicted in the Show, why does it look so familiar.
Could it be that they used the same type of Building/Prison in a different Media maybe a Game ??

Back
Top Bottom