What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Trump Supporters Racist?

I ask if we can judge Trump Racist based on his behavior and you go off about me asserting that most white americans are racist? Huh

Look you strange person. The subject under discussion is whether Trump supporters are racist. Since most white American men are Trump supporters, it would follow that most white American men are racist. Is this true?

I have presented a study written by scientists and stuff. Here is another. They're not hard to find.

Look you strange person. The subject under discussion is whether Trump supporters are racist. Since most white American men are Trump supporters, it would follow that most white American men are racist. Is this true?

I have presented a study written by scientists and stuff. Here is another. They're not hard to find.
You have and? Quotes or something or do you expect me to do your work for you?

You have and? Quotes or something or do you expect me to do your work for you?

I gave you the whole abstract of the first one. Which is actually me doing your work for you. If you claim to understand something, you're supposed to have studied it, which takes work. In this case, what is the evidence that Trump supporters are racists? You have yet to give me it; no one has. That's because you have not actually studied it and therefore do not understand it.

I gave you the whole abstract of the first one
You edited that in after the fact. If you wan't people to notice things don't edit it in after the fact.
Which is atcually me doing your work for you. If you claim to understand something, you're supposed to have studied it. In this case, what is the evidence that Trump supporters are racists?
Literally the first page right before you chimed in
Are they all racist no their just all to willing to look the other way.

Literally the first page right before you chimed in

Dude, then you are just pushing the question back. What is the evidence that Trump supporters, who are not racist themselves, are "looking the other way," instead of not believing that he is racist or has racist policies to begin with -- which is in fact what they say they believe? (Are they lying?) You need actual data to support these assertions. What are they?

The reality is that a lot of this RACISTRACISTRACIST stuff is Dem agitprop, put out for the reasons that I have mentioned -- get Dems to vote out of fear, avoid looking at economic issues, avoid looking at the electorate's general disgust with the establishment.

Dude, then you are just pushing the question back. What is the evidence that Trump supporters, who are not racist themselves, are "looking the other way," instead of not believing that he is racist or has racist policies to begin with -- which is in fact what they say they believe?
Because that requires them to be morons?
Are they lying
People lie to themselves all the time
You need actual data to support these assertions. What are they?
Uh why? It's like I have experience with these fucking people or something.

Breaking news! Republican insists that Republicans are good people, despite evidence. It's not just about words. He doesn't have to directly say "kill the niggers" to be racist, he just has to act the part. And with frequent statements like "they're bringing drugs, they're bringing crime, and some, I assume, are good people" or "send these American but coloured women back to their own countries, which I assume to be not-America" he is definitely acting the part.
Uh why? It's like I have experience with these fucking people or something.
Yes, but for Republicans to do or be anything bad is not just impossible, but inconcievable, therefore you must be wrong.

Trump has a 42% approval rating, according to google. If 42% of the US population is racists, you have serious problems.
That's... not how this works.

That's... not how this works.

The question is "are Trump supporters racist?". If we say "all Trump supporters are racist" and If we identity "Trump supporter" with "person who thinks Trump is doing a good job," then 42% of Americans are racists.

The question is "are Trump supporters racist?". If we say "all Trump supporters are racist" and If we identity "Trump supporter" with "person who thinks Trump is doing a good job," then 42% of Americans are racists.
I mean did you read?

Because it's clear his direhard ones are.

I mean did you read?

That some % of Trump supporters are racist is not in doubt. We know that because they say so. Whether they are representative members of the group, or "hard-core", is another issue. The CPUSA endorsed Hillary Clinton, but that certainly does not mean that all Clinton supporters are secret CPUSA fellow-travellers.

That some % of Trump supporters are racist is not in doubt. We know that because they say so. Whether they are representative members of the group, or "hard-core", is another issue. The CPUSA endorsed Hillary Clinton, but that certainly does not mean that all Clinton supporters are secret CPUSA fellow-travellers.
That comparison would hold a lot more weight if I did not have to look up who CPUSA even are meanwhile trump supporters go chant shit like send her back.

That comparison would hold a lot more weight if I did not have to look up who CPUSA even are meanwhile trump supporters go chant shit like send her back.

The point is that it does not follow from a subset of Trump supporters chanting something that this applies to Trump supporters as a class.

I seem to recollect Keith Olbermann's hilarious "Russian scum!" rant, which is a classic of xenophobia. (in fact I'm going to watch it again now because it's so funny.), as well as Maddow's truly unhinged xenophobia and scare-mongering. I do not believe that these beliefs are characteristic of the Dem electorate.

The point is that it does not follow from a subset of Trump supporters chanting something that this applies to Trump supporters as a class.
It goes back to what I said doesn't it
Are they all racist no their just all to willing to look the other way.
I seem to recollect Keith Olbermann's hilarious "Russian scum!" rant, which is a classic of xenophobia. (in fact I'm going to watch it again now because it's so funny.), as well as Maddow's truly unhinged xenophobia and scare-mongering. I do not believe that these beliefs are characteristic of the Dem electorate.
Nobody voted for these people and if you want to compare individuals to chanting crowds be my guess. It's not like you have never made false comparisons before.

I think it is safe to say that, of the set of Trump supporters, some are racist and some are not?

EDIT: It is obvious that racism plays some role in Trump's support. However, there has also been an equally obvious attempt to explain Trump's support as being 100% because of racism. This is because a) it is politically effective in rallying support against Trump from the Dem base and b) allows people to avoid looking at other factors (economic, foreign policy), which the political establishment do not want to address.
No candidate in history can really be accounted for as being "100%" supported by this or this. Also if we're going to highlight economic, then I'd argue that poor economic policies over the long run lead to more malleable people which is easy to pray for racist style populists. IE: There have been studies showing the Tories austerity type policies were one of the factor that added to the level of pro Brexit views in the UK in strong labour errors.

This does not affect Morphile's point at all.

What Trump said is that the dregs are coming to the US. This is probably not true, but it is in no way racist. It is not saying that Mexicans (which is not a race, but whatever) are rapists and murderers because of their ucky Mexicanness, but that a lot of the ones coming to the US are.

Anyway, "all Trump supporters are racists" is clearly false. Black Trump supporters are a small minority, but they do exist and they do not think that they are genetically inferior.
I guess here we're looking at. "Does supporting a candidate mean you agree with them on everything"? Like "did the people that supported Stalin when Hitler was coming" mean that those people were all Stalinists? I don't think that really follows unless you're looking at the ethics of utopian ideologues.
Yes, that's what I said. He said that Mexico is sending the dregs of their society, not that Mexicans are all murderers and criminals.

The claim is that 100% of Trump supporters are racist (and by that people normally mean "white supremacist"). His black supporters presumably are not. If you have evidence that they are motivated by self-loathing, I am willing to see it.
Black somehow meaning not racist doesn't follow. Robert Mugabe was racist and he was certainly black.

Also you can argue that because he implies that the entire sample of people coming over the border is bad, it thus means that the Mexicans as a whole are bad. No, the fact they're coming illegally doesn't equate to them all being bad by our premises here either. Seeing as plenty of people that flee from countries are doing it because they're forced out, not because they're necessarily criminals.
Look, here's a crazy idea -- we can look at an actual study!
What?

Like you're looking at a study here comparing people who voted one candidate or another. The candidates in question being some of the most disliked in US history, how does that follow to people voting for one or another being a direhard supporter?

I think a better metric would be primary voters.

A few of my thoughts on the definition of racism, which has been argued about in this thread.

I personally do believe in the more general version of racism used by the left. This definition applies the "if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck" to ideas about cultural determinism. In practice the arguments based social determinism where cultures are transmitted vertically at an early age and are the immutable source of all morality and politics, function identically to racism except replace nature with nature. And the argument that "african countries are shitholes, therefor cultural determinism means their local people are terrible and must be kept out of our country" is a racism argument that has merely traded in nature for future.

Edit: To stop this going in the derail tangent thread, I hold that the Trump voter base holds beliefs about mexicans being predisposed to acting a certain way that is often racist. This is part of an underlying trend where for example mexico won't be classified as part of "Western Civilisation" despite having a western language, western religion, western literary tradition and the like. So I'll say yes, but like most things it comes with a lot of qualifiers.

No candidate in history can really be accounted for as being "100%" supported by this or this. Also if we're going to highlight economic, then I'd argue that poor economic policies over the long run lead to more malleable people which is easy to pray for racist style populists. IE: There have been studies showing the Tories austerity type policies were one of the factor that added to the level of pro Brexit views in the UK in strong labour errors.

OK, what is the evidence that Trump's electorate is motivated primarily by racist-style populism, that this is more important than economic populism?

The way I see it, there are several overlapping groups.

1. People who vote GOP in principle, or are single-issue voters (such as on abortion).

2. People who see Trump as embodying a racist message and approve of it.

3. People who are attracted by economic protectionism and strong anti-immigration positions for economic reasons (this would be the obvious factor for the working class).

4. People who really hate Clinton and the political establishment in general (this would include Sanders supporters who voted for Trump.)

5,. People who think the US gets too involved in overseas matters.

8... there are probably more

Untangling all these reasons is very complicated. "People support Trump because they are racist" is just facile and lazy, and it's going to make problems even worse because underlying issues are not being addressed.

Last edited:
Untangling all these reasons is very complicated. "People support Trump because they are racist" is just facile and lazy, and it's going to make problems even worse because underlying issues are not being addressed.
Were you not the one who kept emphasising the name of the thread?

OK, what is the evidence that Trump's electorate is motivated primarily by racist-style populism, that this is more important than economic populism?

1. People who vote GOP in principle, or are single-issue voters (such as on abortion).

3. People who are attracted by economic protectionism and strong anti-immigration positions for economic reasons (this would be the obvious factor for the working class).

4. People who really hate Clinton and the political establishment in general (this would include Sanders supporters who voted for Trump.)

it's not going to make anything worse anyone's who's standards are low enough to accept trump already has, as such the sane thing to do is call a spade a spade cut out the pc crap and call a racist a racist and just steam roll these morons to one side by out voting them till they stop trying or age out of society

Last edited:
42% approval rating doesn't meant exactly 42% of the country approves of him, that is 42% of the people surveyed... which means it could be waaay different from a non-surveyed/raw result - the amount of Americns who actually support him.

What definitions are we using?

Hardcore trumpets? People that support him for his policies, but dislike him personally? People that voted for him in 2016.

Because I think if you studied 1, then it'd likely be a big reason.

OK, there are a lot of Trump supporters. They have youtube channels and so on. You can go directly to the source and see what they think. It is more complicated than RACISMRACISMRACISM.

Like this guy. His videos were very eye-opening for me.

OK, there are a lot of Trump supporters. They have youtube channels and so on. You can go directly to the source and see what they think. It is more complicated than RACISMRACISMRACISM.

Like this guy. His videos were very eye-opening for me.

57c.png

Back
Top Bottom