What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Articles 11 and 13 Have Passed

People are more themselves online with the screen between them and their prey.
Indy this isn't a SB mod bashing thread take it somewhere else.

I wouldn't trust anything posted by Arcanist. That guy is a sociopath if I ev er saw one.

I think you meant the OTHER Arcanist. Not the belgian one.

How, if at all, will it affect us in the States?
Well, for the large content providers who host their own sites on their own hardware and bandwidth, if they just operate in the US, then it means very little, given fair use and safe harbor. For said large content providers' European presences, however, it means they'd still have to build up the filtering capacity to automatically block out any copyrighted content owned by a European company. There's only a couple ways around this: they pull out their physical presence from the EU (meaning, essentially, they close up shop in any offices they have in the EU) and continue serving up content to the EU from outside, or they block off access to all their content from the EU (Google did this with Google News in Spain and Germany IIRC).. Since doing the latter would basically cede the market to domestic competition and effectively lock them off from servicing European customers, probably the less painful of the two approaches would be to just pull out of the EU and flip it off from within the relative safety of, say, the US (boy does that statement ever sound ironic).

For places like these forums who are almost invariably hosted by larger hosting providers (IIRC, SV is hosted by Equinix, SB and FiC are hosted by Linode, QQ is hosted by GTT), then it depends on how those companies determine whether it's worth the trouble of building out the filtering capacity to abide by the EU law (US law re: the DMCA makes this way easier on hosting providers because it puts the onus on enforcement on the copyright holder to enforce the copyright, so they generally abide by DMCA takedown notices; this doesn't necessarily translate into the willingness to build out the active filtering capacity to do the enforcement of others' copyrights automatically themselves) versus just pulling out of the EU to continue to serve up content from outside the EU. This almost invariably means that it won't actually affect us much, because said hosting providers will want to keep as much hosting income as they can, even from their European customers, and just close up shop within the EU itself (it'd be way cheaper to lay off employees and sell off redundant office assets than to lose paying customers). Lacking presence and assets in the EU, about all the EU could realistically do is force European ISPs to block access to hosting providers who don't abide by the law, as if that'll stop anyone with a VPN.

Uh remind me about that, I heard about it but I keep forgetting which Arcanist is who arcanist.

There's two Arcanists in SB AFAIK. The Belgian Arcanist (who is a very cool guy) and another Arcanist IndyFront might be referring to. I've met him and his arguments sparsely, but... yeah, you'll notice THAT Arcanist right away, he's not the Belgian Arcanist by any measure.

There's two Arcanists in SB AFAIK. The Belgian Arcanist (who is a very cool guy) and another Arcanist IndyFront might be referring to. I've met him and his arguments sparsely, but... yeah, you'll notice THAT Arcanist right away, he's not the Belgian Arcanist by any measure.
Huh? There's another one?

Back
Top Bottom