What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Benefits, Work, and Poverty

Horton

Cat
Administrator
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/opinion/benefits-work-and-poverty.html

Here's an interesting article that shows that there seems to be a correlation between higher levels of welfare spending and decrements in poverty, my only concern here with it would be that it's quite a small sample size and relies on cross country comparison that have always been slightly dicey. It also lines up with the historical data which show that it did result in a decrease.

I don't think a lot of these people though are really aiming for the reduction in poverty, the smarter libertarian ones seem to be getting for a reduction in taxes as they view it as a violation of human rights that people are forced against their will by the government to fund these programs. However I view that as the cost for reducing poverty and the concept doesn't bother me at all.

Any thoughts FiC?

We should -in all honesty- simply take the mentality of 'work to live' behind the shed and give it a 12-gauge retirement. All we're really doing right now is simply band-aiding something that requires stitches and/or outright surgery.

We should -in all honesty- simply take the mentality of 'work to live' behind the shed and give it a 12-gauge retirement. All we're really doing right now is simply band-aiding something that requires stitches and/or outright surgery.
Don't forget getting rid of the Protestant work ethic as well!

... the smarter libertarian ones seem to be getting for a reduction in taxes as they view it as a violation of human rights that people are forced against their will by the government to fund these programs.
This is amazingly stupid from a wider picture standpoint. Not only is it outright heretical from a Christian standpoint (Pay unto Caesar and helping fellow man), it is shockingly furthest away from the human condition without going full-on socio/psychopathic. :mad:

As one wise man said:
quote-i-like-to-pay-taxes-with-them-i-buy-civilization-oliver-wendell-holmes-34-84-97.jpg

As technology goes forward, the cost of living and civilization also goes up. We're also at the point where job numbers are shrinking, not growing or stabilizing like in days previous. To ensure that the nation-state's continual existence, it has to set up systems to minimize this problem while keeping a regulated free market.

Back
Top Bottom