What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cats?

Why not?

It's basically The Producers 2.

That is indeed the consensus.

Most of the videos on trailer channels have a 2/1 dislike to like ratio, so this looks like it will be very artistic and loved by critics (maybe; Broadway and the movie industry have a long and bitter rivalry) while being a complete flop.

Or not, since the Swift fans will probably swarm the theaters, but I doubt they will be able to make up that kind of a loss.

First Miley in BM now this?

In the future is it just going to be one person who plays every role in every movie and every band and draws all of the pictures and does all of the things forever?

I believe this to be the general reaction to the trailer...

ab70920.png

The more inspired suggestions for this movie that I heard were to have all the actors doing voice-over work with real cats on screen, or to just have regular actors with voice overs by actual cats (maybe subtitles?).

Those both make much more sense than this.

Anyone else notice the film seems to be confused on the size of an actual cat if that's what the actors are supposed to represent? The scaling seems off for the actors and their surroundings and it doesn't look like it's completely consistent.

So, what changed?
Nothing changed. That's the point. This is just the second trailer.

People looked at Sonic the Hedgehog and screamed in terror. The studio saw the reaction and immediately sent the film back to redo the CG.

People looked at Cats and screamed in terror. The studio laughed like an old-timey Disney villain, and made sacrifices to ensure the furpocalypse comes at the appointed time.

Nothing changed. That's the point. This is just the second trailer.

People looked at Sonic the Hedgehog and screamed in terror. The studio saw the reaction and immediately sent the film back to redo the CG.

People looked at Cats and screamed in terror. The studio laughed like an old-timey Disney villain, and made sacrifices to ensure the furpocalypse comes at the appointed time.

As someone that is a major fan of Cats.

And owns the album.

Ive seen it live on stage.

I looove this musical.

My opinion is

1. I predict this to do alright cats has a much larger fanbase than people realize.

2. The reason the execs dont think anything of this is because this is pretty much the identical reaction to the stage musicals release.

Cats is uh look theres a lot to be said about Cats.

3. I predict the film to somehow have less of a plot.

3/4 of the musical is literally just character introductions. There is maybe 3 somgs that move the plot.

And even thats hard to explain

Here is 4 of the biggest songs from the musical.

Thats who James Corden is playing.....DONT LOOK AT ME. Ask weber what drugs he was on.

Say hello to gay subtext the song.

The second most known song from this musical

Also Tim Curry if he were a cat

Aaand the biggest song of the musical of which all ballads are measured against. Memories.

4. The reason they are human looking is because cats is like 75% dance the musical was famous for being one of the biggest musicals focused on dancing you remove dancing from cats you might as well not make the film

It could be like 90% less weird but I have a feeling the execs okayed it because its kind of expected that cats looks fucking creepy.

The Cats movie has a 14 percent score so far on Rotten Tomatoes as of this post.

Some rather funny quotes by the critics I noticed.

"I didn't hate it."

"There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it."

"Oh God, my eyes."

The Cats movie has a 14 percent score so far on Rotten Tomatoes as of this post.

Some rather funny quotes by the critics I noticed.

"I didn't hate it."

"There is a thin line between idiocy and genius, and Cats pukes a hairball on it and rubs its ass all over it."

"Oh God, my eyes."

Aka its a bunch of CATS reviews.

This is not shocking.

Cats has never been a critical darling oh sure in hindsight it is but not at the time.

Not really familiar with Cats. I was just expecting more of a balance between positive and negative reviews.

Not really familiar with Cats. I was just expecting more of a balance between positive and negative reviews.

Cats had some postive reception on the west end....Broadway critics were less than enthused.

It has also been called the beginning of "the mindless blockbuster era of broadway" because of the fact that calling Cats story a Plot is a insult to the the concept of storytelling.

and the fact that it made a loooooooooot of money.

its 95% introductions and like 5% actual development of plot.

The musical was also celebrated for being a dance focused msucial which is sort of the reason you can't just do normal cats for the musical cutting the dancing out of cats is like cutting Paris out of Les Miserables.

Dancing is sort of a major fucking part.

It has never really been liked by critics.

and analysis of CATS is some of the oldest of modern broadway discourse.

Everyone into musicals had a hot take for CATS and what it means and mean't for musicals in general.

TBH discussion of CATS doesn't exist without people talking about how weird, plotless, insane, perverted, Horny, and horrifying it all is.

It's part of the reason I said what the critics are saying is more of a reason to see it as it looks to be more of the same.

Aka its a bunch of CATS reviews.
Actually, no.

Even people who love Cats hate this. The studio took a musical without any real plot and then added a terrible plot, and the director decided to film a dozen different movies (acting style and tone is different for almost every single character) and then smashed them together into whatdafuckness. Even the sets are dissonant, where it is supposedly sized for cats in a human world, but then the cat-people themselves appear to be either human-sized, cat-sized, or even tiny mouse-sized because fuck consistency or making any sort of sense.

This is not some sort of projection of the sins of the musical onto the movie, it is just a bad movie.

Though it will almost certainly take on a new life among the class of people who love to watch bad movies (or at least like to watch them while under the influence). It may just dethrone The Room as the go-to example of something that is intended to be good and "artistic" but fails on every level (maybe not though, since they don't yet have a director like Wiseau to attack reviewers/ haha, it was meant to be like that, no big deal/ but seriously, it was a serious and great film/ "Oh, hi, Mark." meme levels).

I still like it.

EDIT: not just because of well everything.

I also love it for rather personal reasons that made everything more fun and the sad moments way more powerful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom