What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coronavirus Thread

I'm not an expert but it seems that Russia attempts to go everything normal during the Delta outbreak went badly wrong and most people are saying Russian statistics cannot be trusted, due to both reluctance to try an accurate count and the sheer scale/difficulty of getting an accurate count

One of the funny things is wondering whether Covid had an impact on her current performance in Ukraine. It would be a throwback to WW2 when disease had a major impact on a war and military performance, egged on by incompetence at the top (looking at you IJA ) .

One should also note that a LOT of reductions in deaths come from social welfare.

The best example and why the CDC argued for a rent moratorium was how this policy helped reduced cases and subsequently deaths. Covid hit hard amongst the homeless, although the destitute nature meant official statistics are hard to come by.

You can actually trace a line between which country provided more welfare to their citizens and how many people died. Well, apart from Singapore but we did escalate welfare payment.

France welfare is better than UK, so their death toll is lower.

Vietnam provided food and rent free , at least during the first two waves before Delta overwhelmed them and the costs rose too high.

China had companies pay workers half pay, with SOE paying full salaries, although this ignored the migrant workers/contracters/freelancers etcetcetc and their death toll is super low.

In contrast, Peru, Brazil, Russia,well nuff said.

India did try welfare but they were too poor, the scope was simply too large to apply any. You could contrast them vs Pakistan.

I mean, the argument that welfare= less deaths will require way more rigorous methodology than what I'm posting here but the individual crumbs all point that way, even in FreeDum USA.

Well. Especially USA since we have California with their huge caseload to contrast with states which ended rent moratorium to compare.

Last edited:
You can actually trace a line between which country provided more welfare to their citizens and how many people died. Well, apart from Singapore but we did escalate welfare payment.

Oh yeah, still remember the days when most of Malaysia's cases were from Immigration's half-way lock-ups of undocumented aliens. Immigration were forced to declare an unofficial end to hunting down UA cases (UA=undocumented aliens) and take care of the ones in custody like the ministry of health had said would happen.

Oh yeah, still remember the days when most of Malaysia's cases were from Immigration's half-way lock-ups of undocumented aliens. Immigration were forced to declare an unofficial end to hunting down UA cases (UA=undocumented aliens) and take care of the ones in custody like the ministry of health had said would happen.
What's your take on the covid relief/assistence program?

I remember that flooding disrupted a lot of effort and just .... Fucked people who were being fucked with too much.

Ditto to India eastern state.

What's your take on the covid relief/assistence program?

I remember that flooding disrupted a lot of effort and just .... Fucked people who were being fucked with too much.

Ditto to India eastern state.

Thank goodness the relief effort in Malaysia happened, because a lot of our lower income folks would have been fucked. Also some other countries efforts were fucked by handing monies out directly.

Also thank goodness in Malaysia that our flood coincided with the dying down of the delta/omicron wave. Our numbers could have been worse.

Yeah. But that's not what Scottty is trying to say...

Crowd people together more, and diseases spread more.
Get people to wash their hands more, and diseases spread less.

Those are not the only factors, but those observations should be in the "well that's obvious" category.

There are lots of other things in play. In the very early stages of the pandemic, some people were claiming that people of Subsaharan-African genetics would not get Covid, that it could only infect Eurasians.
Well, the blacks didn't get it... until they did. Now no one says such a thing anymore.

Because an uptick in cases seperate from opening/relaxation of NPI appears to be ongoing in multiple countries.

Start by opening as many windows as the weather allows, said Joseph Fox, a heating, ventilation, and air conditioning engineer for a large school district in Ontario, Canada. If possible, open windows on opposite sides of the home to create a cross breeze, which can help sweep viruses outside and bring fresh air inside.

For extra protection, place a box fan in the patient's window, facing outward, to draw germy air outside. Seal any openings around the sides of the fan, said Jim Rosenthal, CEO of Tex-Air Filters, a company that manufactures air filtration products in Fort Worth, Texas.
Some simple and cheap ways to help improve ventilation at home, whether you nursing sick people or just want to reduce your chances

Covid is old and boring now. No government even wants to acknowledge it is still a thing.

Monkeypox is the new hotness. Surely the anti-vax dipshits will find a way to both create a pandemic and somehow be victims of government overreach. They live the attention.

Ook-ook. 🙉 🙊 🙈

Covid is old and boring now. No government even wants to acknowledge it is still a thing.

Monkeypox is the new hotness. Surely the anti-vax dipshits will find a way to both create a pandemic and somehow be victims of government overreach. They live the attention.

Ook-ook. 🙉 🙊 🙈
Damn it. I just created that thread. Go pox the blisters there:)

Because an uptick in cases seperate from opening/relaxation of NPI appears to be ongoing in multiple countries.

Some simple and cheap ways to help improve ventilation at home, whether you nursing sick people or just want to reduce your chances

Ventilation is generally good.
As long as you aren't somewhere where there's more Covid in the air outside than there is inside.

Damn it. I just created that thread. Go pox the blisters there:)

For the record, I looked for a thread on it right before posting here.

You can't get mad at me for not posting in a thread that didn't exist, just like you can't punish someone for breaking a rule that had not yet been written. It's the law. ⚖️

For the record, I looked for a thread on it right before posting here.

You can't get mad at me for not posting in a thread that didn't exist, just like you can't punish someone for breaking a rule that had not yet been written. It's the law. ⚖️
I bet a bottle of vodka I can change that law.

I bet a bottle of vodka I can change that law.

But can you change it retroactively?

Generally though, prosecuting people for something that had not yet been made illegal at the time they did it is recognized as a bad form of governance. Doesn't stop some governments from doing it.
There have been governments that passed laws declaring specific people legally guilty of things that everyone knew they never actually did!

For those who remember my thread about how Covid negatively affected POC in the US, first due to active neglect by the government and subsequently due to structural racism during Biden adminstration, there's always hope that Biden managed to reverse this. By directing resources towards black areas and combating misinformation, more access to vaccines was made available .

This .... Should had been helpful for Omicron.

Sadly, black people were still revisiting ED and hospitals at higher rates during Omicron than other races when adjusted for age (there's less old black people, so sheer numbers obscure the issue ).

So.... For Ba1/2/3/4/5, the next big thing is treatment.

Monoclonals were not given to black at equal rates, although remdesivir and dexamethasone inequity was less noticeable.

Paxlovid doesn't have federal data. However, the limited data we do have

Suggest black people get less access to treatment too.

We don't know why, but the usual guess would be limited access to healthcare as well as some other factors like internet access...

I'm sorry. Structural racism during the Biden admin? They adopted an already failed response infrastructure that had incredible distrust. How were they expected to overcome then while deaths dropped widely, people got fed up, and it became incredibly politically inconvenient to maintain the lockdowns? That's a real slanted criticism when it is mostly the fault of Trump

Also, proof that all the conspiracies were bullshit. A template for controlling the population? No one in DC actually stuck to severe lockdowns. There were still small house parties, outdoor mass gatherings, etc. In a region that staunchly supported lockdowns. The instant mask restrictions lifted here there was no going back. Progressives weren't happy about what we had to put up with either. Not responding to the above post but looking at the seething basket case who still posts here on occasion.

I'm sorry. Structural racism during the Biden admin? They adopted an already failed response infrastructure that had incredible distrust. How were they expected to overcome then while deaths dropped widely, people got fed up, and it became incredibly politically inconvenient to maintain the lockdowns? That's a real slanted criticism when it is mostly the fault of Trump

Also, proof that all the conspiracies were bullshit. A template for controlling the population? No one in DC actually stuck to severe lockdowns. There were still small house parties, outdoor mass gatherings, etc. In a region that staunchly supported lockdowns. The instant mask restrictions lifted here there was no going back. Progressives weren't happy about what we had to put up with either. Not responding to the above post but looking at the seething basket case who still posts here on occasion.
Structural racism isn't the fault of Biden. Biden did attempt to overcome said issues by redirecting vaccine centres and etc towards black areas.

vaccine uptake by blacks increased significantly as a result. However, blacks are still suffering more from Covid due to long standing structural racism, which cannot be resolved in a single year.

That distinction is essential to differentiate between the poor Covid outcomes during Trump adminstration, which was due to active neglect such as vaccine desert, removing access to PPE and etc vs Biden I tried but I can't change 300 years of racism in 1 year.

Is this really the thread for "all black people's problems are due to Structural Racism" stuff?
To be blunt, when it comes to America, that comes very close to being accurate. So much effort was spent in keeping them down, first with laws, then with violence, then with coordinated business practices, that we'd need a full century without a single racist judge, district attorney, or elected official of any level before you'd be able to actually fix it all.

France healthcare system got stressed by Covid and is entering summer, a typical busy time with potential breaking points.

Anyone knows what a heatwave has to do with ER in France?

France healthcare system got stressed by Covid and is entering summer, a typical busy time with potential breaking points.

Anyone knows what a heatwave has to do with ER in France?

I'm going to guess that it's something to do with the buildings being too hot, and the staff getting exhausted from working in such temperatures.

Back
Top Bottom