What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dune (2020)

Alias

Wonder how weird it will be compared to the original.

I laugh, because everyone was all hyped about Tenet, and it ended up being... OK.

This. This is what I have been waiting for. This better do well enough that there are sequels. We need this franchise of "also starring: Duncan Idaho".

I dunno...Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho is cool and all but it's kinda sad to see Bro-moa dead halfway through the movie.

He'd make a better Gurney Halleck in my mind, what with his wild child act.

I dunno...Jason Momoa as Duncan Idaho is cool and all but it's kinda sad to see Bro-moa dead halfway through the movie.

He'd make a better Gurney Halleck in my mind, what with his wild child act.
Duncan Ida-bro.

But, you see, this is actually genius! He leaves for a while, and then he reappears again and again as a ghola! A Bro-la, as it were.

The saga spans thousands of years, it is nice to have a good actor to rely on for binding that all together.

One is made by a good director, the other is made by Nolan.
He shares the ability of Shyamalan to say, "Look at me! I am being SUBTLE and DEEP!", but is still good with cinematography. Unfortunately, people are drawn more to the visuals and have built their cult around that, much like how they have done with Cameron.

Nolan has made some good movies, but is not as perfect as some like to portray him. A Dune movie by him would likely be sub-Lynch and still beloved by millions because pretty pretty. I much prefer what is happening here.

I like Memento. Honestly when I saw the trailer for Tenet I didn't think "Inception" I thought of Memento with its weird sideways-backwards timeline and it felt like he was trying to force another Memento tbh.

This looks good but not as good as the original imo, although that may be due to having a weaksauce trailer

Last edited:
Saw it. It was okay-ish, not much to love or hate.

Though I doubt it will have a sequel despite it's bold 'Part One' subtitle and it's 'You have seen nothing yet!' ending, as WB has refused to even greenlight it, let alone start production, with them blatantly not thinking it will be an succes with it being released in Europe a full month and a week before US release.

with them blatantly not thinking it will be an succes with it being released in Europe a full month and a week before US release
That's not the reason. They are actually optimistic about Euro theater sales.

The problem they face is that they already promised a simultaneous release with HBO Max. This way they get the maximum global ticket sales, since HBO Max is only in the US.

They way that digital releases have been going, they likely expect to lose a fair bit of revenue due to pirating. Maybe not as much as movies like Black Widow which was charging a premium on top of subscription fees, but a fair bit.

It's about keeping clean digital copies at bay as long as possible so they maximize revenue. Not about the movie being predicted as bad.

A little under 40 million in the first week isn't so bad. The real test right now is what the drop-off may be. Mediocre reviews by critics might mean a sharp decline, but moviegoers may raise interest to counter this.

This is about what Black Widow made on release, and it is up over 450 million now. And that was with large-scale pirating on day one.

Dune doesn't have the MCU cachet, but it has a chance to make good money. Warner Bros. also said that it was looking at HBO Max subscription numbers, but not going to hold low returns against the opportunity of a sequel.

I think it has a fairly good chance to get Part 2 made. Unless a movie flops it will generally do better with a direct sequel than waiting years for another remake. Especially if there are enough threads remaining incomplete.

Looking more and more likely that a part 2 will happen.

A bit over 40 million in the US on opening weekend, and you can't walk more than a block without someone raving about it. Drop-off for next week will likely be low, or even one of those rare examples where it makes more on a consecutive weekend.

Global intake is around 220 million, not including HBO Max. Those numbers are being kept secret, but the streaming service has held subscribers quite well this year with their decision to release the big movies online the same time as theaters.

But you know what I want?

I want to stop retelling this first story and get on with the insanity that is the sequel books!

[...]I want to stop retelling this first story and get on with the insanity that is the sequel books!

I liked the new version, current and earlier one. Film is more than OK. I am waiting for part two and through it rebirth of the franchise to the rightful place in the s-f canon. Becouse in that kind of stilistic Dune should be made, and it's spin offs, especialy tales of the Butlerian Jihad becouse with good scenario and some security field specs we could actually get a good mil s-f out of it.
Also it gave me some BATTLETECH vibes, becouse actuall given the stilistic, especially when Imperial representant cames to the Caladan.
Pity we heve not seen Corrino and Imperial Palace splendor, and Guild machinations, but wait we must.

We may get as far as, say, God-Emperor Leto. If Denis Villenuve could get the political drama that is Dune Messiah off.

Though that could be why Jason Momoa was cast as Duncan Idaho...sequel bait!

I watched the movie and liked it. Hopefully it will continue to part 2.

I liked the new version, current and earlier one. Film is more than OK. I am waiting for part two and through it rebirth of the franchise to the rightful place in the s-f canon. Becouse in that kind of stilistic Dune should be made, and it's spin offs, especialy tales of the Butlerian Jihad becouse with good scenario and some security field specs we could actually get a good mil s-f out of it.
Also it gave me some BATTLETECH vibes, becouse actuall given the stilistic, especially when Imperial representant cames to the Caladan.
Pity we heve not seen Corrino and Imperial Palace splendor, and Guild machinations, but wait we must.
They definitely cut out the Guild Heighliner sequence. It's kind of obvious there was one given how abrupt the transition was.

I watched the movie and liked it. Hopefully it will continue to part 2.

They definitely cut out the Guild Heighliner sequence. It's kind of obvious there was one given how abrupt the transition was.
Yes. As long as the Navigator was not like oborted mutated fetus it was bad.
But nontheless landscapes were breathtaking, especially space. Also I liked it was properly adjusted to the modern esthetics with blend of the original - you actually seen guns on deep desert patrols and drones in use. Pity we haven't seen the insides of the carrier ships and warships though.

Back
Top Bottom