What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dune: Part Two

Alias

Really liked part one. One of the Harkonnens looked like the tall aliens from Prometheus.

Given how they fucked up adapting the space politics part of the book before it went to shit with the Messiah stuff, doubt I'll be in the theatre seeing 3 hours of STARING MEANINGFULLY INTO DISTANCE.

I've never read the book, so what the difference in politics between between the first movie and the book?

oh, are those the Gladiator Pits mentioned in the Book ?
Also wondering if all inhabitants of Giedi Prime look like the Engineers from Prometheus. Tall, Pale, Bald.

Was that the Emperor´s mobile Palace we saw in the Trailer ?

oh, are those the Gladiator Pits mentioned in the Book ?
Also wondering if all inhabitants of Giedi Prime look like the Engineers from Prometheus. Tall, Pale, Bald.

Because Giedi Prime is covered in smog all year round. The Harkonnen destroyed Giedi Prime to fuel their economy. Mind you, they rule another planet, that one is more planet Scandanavia. Look up Lankiveil and Abulurd Harkonnen, the only Harkonnen who isn't a piece of shit. Pity the dude got killed by Glossu Rabban (his eldest child).

We can always use more Dunc.

Noth as a reference to the weird font they use, and to Duncan Idaho. May the franchise run long for Momoa, including the freaky sex stuff.

Returning from the cinema, after viewing Dune 2.
Time well spent.

Divergences that I see from the book.
All the action passes in a single year so,
Alia is still not born - but is conscient and 'speaks' with Jessica
No child of Paul and Chani (who is killed by Sardaukar in the books)
Is Paul that kills the Baron
Is Gurney that kills Raban
Stilgar turned into an 'idiotic' fanatic, blindly following Paul
Chani departing because is against the Jihad (not knowing if is pregnant with the twins or not)
The film ends with the Great Houses not accepting Paul's rise to power - starting the Jihad.
No presence at all of the Guild/Navigators.

Divergences that I see from the book.
All the action passes in a single year so,
Alia is still not born - but is conscient and 'speaks' with Jessica
No child of Paul and Chani (who is killed by Sardaukar in the books)
Is Paul that kills the Baron
Is Gurney that kills Raban
Stilgar turned into an 'idiotic' fanatic, blindly following Paul
Chani departing because is against the Jihad (not knowing if is pregnant with the twins or not)
The film ends with the Great Houses not accepting Paul's rise to power - starting the Jihad.
No presence at all of the Guild/Navigators.

Sounds like Villeneuve streamlined the book to fit it for (a pair of) films.

It is pointing to a third film - Dune: Messiah.
But the divergences for that one are growing fast and complicated.

Considering just how dense the Dune series books are with multiple characters, storylines and ideas (I know I had to have a second reading just to get through Leto's adventure in Jacarutu) are despite how thin (comparatively speaking) the actual books are, not surprised.

Last edited:
If you go for a purist point of view, then the Dune 2000 miniseries (and the Children of Dune part of said miniseries), is the one that is more loyal/true to the books.
Villeneuve pair of movies are excellent on the visual/music side, amazing even, but he takes several liberties with the personages.
I concede that some work well, some even better than the originals, but from a purist 'full story' pov, I prefer the books/miniseries.

Now, other than that, Dune 2 for me, is easily one of the best sci-fi movies of the last decades.

Thufir Hawat is not present in the second movie
The guild is not present/talked even
While I like Florence Pugh as an actress, she is miscast as Princess Irulan. Irulan is physically very different from Pugh, see the actresses that portrayed her in both the 1984 movie and miniseries. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Madsen, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Cox
Chani is completely rewritten. In the books she follows/loves Paul, in Villeneuve movies, she is contrarian and goes away, creating a lot of problems for the next phase of the story (Messiah)..
Stilgar is portrayed in the second movie as an idiotic fanatic - completely different from the savvy, politically wise, naib he is.
The motive for Irulan to marry Paul is political, to give credence/legitimacy to his government, not to save her father.
Much of the political nuances are absent from the movies.
The war/insurgence takes several years and, in the movies is compressed leading to the next point
Aria has not been born yet, creating several discrepancies, the same for the (killed) first child of Paul and Chani.
The end of the movie seems rushed.

All in all, while a cinematographic masterpiece, the 2000 miniseries (and the following, Children of Dune miniseries), is much more loyal/true to the novels than the Villeneuve work of art.
But, for someone who doesn't care too much about the novels, yes, is an amazing story/movie.

If you go for a purist point of view, then the Dune 2000 miniseries (and the Children of Dune part of said miniseries), is the one that is more loyal/true to the books.
Villeneuve pair of movies are excellent on the visual/music side, amazing even, but he takes several liberties with the personages.
I concede that some work well, some even better than the originals, but from a purist 'full story' pov, I prefer the books/miniseries.

Now, other than that, Dune 2 for me, is easily one of the best sci-fi movies of the last decades.
Agreed, the miniseries is pretty awesome, and its aesthetics for the costumes is kick-ass.

I have seen the 1984 movie, both miniseries, and both 202x movies. And I have all the books - the 6 originals and some of the xxx from his son.
Faithfull to the Dune novels - the miniseries easy.
1984 - what can be done by that time with the limits of said era.
202x - Several liberties with the story, but amazing cinematography.

Perfection - the people behind the miniseries with the means and money of the 202x movies.

Another no-small gripe for me.
Zendaya is a really bad Chani option.
Barbora Kodetová, that as done that personage in the miniseries is so superior, that is not even funny.
One is a hot, powerful, and sophisticated woman, that understands her place in the political system. And plays the game well.
The other is a spoiled brat.

Last edited:
Saw Dune earlier today at the cinema. I'm guessing the critiques this time are going to come from those who read the books instead of Dune part 1 where the critique I heard came from those who didn't read the books saying the pacing is off; the movie could stand to be shorter.

Heh. Sometimes there's no pleasing anyone these days.

For me, Austin Butler plays up Feyd-Rautha's menacing ways very nicely, you feel he will kill you if you cross him in any way while not being over the top like other potrayals of Harkonnen members. Also love the cinematography for Giedi Prime. Really plays up how eerie and brutal the place is.

Everybody concurs that the cinematography is top-notch.
It is the deviations from the book that some (like me) disagree.
The only actress that I consider bad is Zendaya. Florence is miscast, physically Irulan is very different in the books.
Stilgar received the idiot ball in the Villeneuve interpretation, in the books is a savvy naib, but here he is a dumb fanatic. But, hey, the actor does an excellent job.
The end looks a bit rushed.

Irulan in the miniseries and the 1984 movie.
th-2141901734.jpeg th-1305743006.jpeg

I saw and enjoyed it. Though some stuff I would have liked more of, like the work that Paul mom and her group was doing to convert the southern tribes. Just seemed like an afterthought for the movie.

Dune is not filmable, like most books without streamlining. Still we are missing something like two hours of film with the theathrical release.
Current version is pretty much well made.

Dune is not filmable, like most books without streamlining. Still we are missing something like two hours of film with the theathrical release.
Current version is pretty much well made.
For me, the miniseries (both parts) are the most close to the books.
This pair of movies is great cinema, but for me, Villeneuve takes too many liberties.

Back
Top Bottom