What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early-warning system cooperation between China and Russia

Vorpal

Administrator
Administrator
On Thurs (Oct 3), during the Valdai Discussion Club conference in Sochi, it was revealed that Russia will be helping China to develop their own early-warning system to identify and react to long-range missile launches, including ICBMs.
[TASS] "I don't think I will reveal a big secret, this will become evident after all," Putin said. "We are now helping our Chinese partners to create a missile warning system. This is a very serious thing, that will drastically enhance the defensive capacity of the People's Republic of China. As currently, only the US and Russia have such systems," he added.​
The Russian system currently involves a newtork of three types of Voronezh] radar stations and a few satellites, with a command centre a bit north of Moscow. A substantial part of the past station network was dismantled following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, which Voronezh is intended to replace.

Military cooperation between them is getting stronger, with a recent delivery of S-400 anti-aircraft system and Su-37e fighters from Russia to China, along with Chinese participation in Russian military exercises (East 2018 and Centre 2019) and a joint patrol near South Korea and Japan.

I wonder whether this might eventually evolve into a common security policy between them.

Voronezh-M said:

The Russian system currently involves a newtork of three types of Voronezh] radar stations and a few satellites, with a command centre a bit north of Moscow. A substantial part of the past station network was dismantled following the dissolution of the Soviet Union, which Voronezh is intended to replace.
I think the Don-2N close to Moscow is still operating, it's necessary for the A-135 SAMs defending Moscow (it's running an Elbrus-2 supercomputer, yay :) ). Then there are some new over-the-horizon radars which also fulfill the early warning role, too - one 29B6 Container (using stratospheric signal reflection, deployed in Mordovia to watch the South-western sector, more installations are coming) and some Podsolnukhs (using surface wave over the sea).

I wonder whether this might eventually evolve into a common security policy between them.
I've read that the Russian and Chinese early warning systems are to be linked - which, if true, is very big news because it would be direct day-to-day defense cooperation.

Reactions: Kol
Back
Top Bottom