What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eastern Europe News

So apparently the Belarusian president did a speech in front of a battle map of the conflict, and didn't do anything to hide the fact that the map shows planned attacks into Moldova

Jesus fucking christ

So apparently the Belarusian president did a speech in front of a battle map of the conflict, and didn't do anything to hide the fact that the map shows planned attacks into Moldova

And a landing on Odessa, though it might be the one that was claimed on Twitter to have stopped due to mutiny of the Russian Marines.

WTF ??
Ok, its confirmed. They have lost their f*cking mind completely.

Ukraine war: Russians wait in queues for cash as rouble plunges and hyperinflation looms

Ordinary Russians faced the prospect of higher prices and crimped foreign travel as Western sanctions over the invasion of Ukraine sent the rouble plummeting and people queuing for cash outside banks.

The Russian currency plunged about 30 per cent against the US dollar on Monday after Western nations announced moves to block some Russian banks from the SWIFT international payment system and to restrict Russia's use of its massive foreign currency reserves.

The exchange rate later recovered ground after swift action by Russia's central bank, which more than doubled the key interest rate to support the rouble.

Source: https://www.euronews.com/next/2022/...sh-as-rouble-plunges-and-hyperinflation-looms

Already the situation on the domestic side ain't looking too good.

Question:
Assuming they really further move into Moldova...
Now, iirc, then Moldova is currently governed by romania.
Since romania is a Nato Member, wouldnt this been seen as a attack on Romania (Art. 5) ??

It's not actually governed by Romania. Russia already has lots of troops in Transnistria, Moldova. Linking up with them doesn't really change much.

Lets hope it stays that way...
I´m not really keen on seeing russia moving from moldova to romania.

Considering the current performance of their military operation, Putin and his ilk must be wondering whether they could avoid being steamrolled by Romania, let alone the rest of NATO.

Moldova has a more stronger defense pact with NATO than Ukraine has, so there won't be the same figleaf excuse for Russia as in Ukraine.

Apart from that, supplying the troops in Moldova going to be a bigger challenge, as I don't expect southern Ukraine to remain quiet, and currently displayed Russian logistics are hilariously bad. And in case the NATO safety pact kicks in, you can expect the possible supply routes getting extra special attention from a lot more NATO assets.

Last edited:
NEWS

Aparently Russians control de facto South Ukraine, Azov coast is lost. Kherson controlled. Since yesterday VKS is becoming increasingly active. Since 5 days there are no mentions about all these Ukrainian operational troops from Eastern Ukraine nor Ukrainina Air Forces. Russians are not consolidating their gains and bringing in artillery and supplies.

And Rufus, start reading maps rather than social media memes.

I´ve just heard in the news, that the german Weapons have arrived.

Also in the news, some russian jets have entered / violated swedish Airspace.

Edit:
As soon i have a Link for the Weapons Thing, i´ll post it.
Right now i have only a Link in German.....

Last edited:
NEWS

Aparently Russians control de facto South Ukraine, Azov coast is lost. Kherson controlled. Since yesterday VKS is becoming increasingly active. Since 5 days there are no mentions about all these Ukrainian operational troops from Eastern Ukraine nor Ukrainina Air Forces. Russians are not consolidating their gains and bringing in artillery and supplies.

And Rufus, start reading maps rather than social media memes.
Do you have links to non-russian media? Your post contains only statements

Russian media statements are fact. Anything else is memes.

By the way, @<Reaper>666, I see you have no comment on the fascinating and very revealing leaked article from RIA that was caught by the Wayback Machine. From you superior holistic knowledge of all things warfare, how do you characterize a plan that has a 200k military force occupy and annex a country of 40 millions in four days (the stated goal from the article that these bumbling idiots released automatically before realizing that reality decided to barge and fuck their plan)? Additional question: how do you characterize that plan when it involves fucking up the logistics so hard that you have a 60 km column of vehicles paralyzed barely a few dozen km away from their staging grounds... for days now?

I am sure your mastery of warfare will somehow answer the question without using the words "retarded", "idiotic", "suicidal", "absurd" and "what the fuck".

Please, sempai, teach us your secrets! Oh, and since I'm talking to you: bright light bright light bright light

Try 'only believe because I see that, and even that is difficult to understand', 'even Saddam is better at logistics', 'AI's in videogames do better'.
Is good enough for you?

1646254911245.png

1646255043866.png

Relevant - road net and geography of the Kiev operational area.

So now you see the real directions of attacks and characterictisc of operational area.
Also, pay attention to the informations published by the Ukrainian MoD and contrast it with whole campaing area.

Also seriosously, when Ukrainians show destroyed platoon as large victory or speciallists picturing small scale raids and reconaissance in force as attempts of taking and holding fortified capital or large city, well, one should take a pill.

Last edited:
Try 'only believe because I see that, and even that is difficult to understand', 'even Sadam is better at logistics', 'AI's in videogames do better'.
Is good enough for you?
Pretty good indeed.

Also:

bright light bright light bright light

The Georgian government just indicated its desire to join the European Union. It really looks like everyone has reached the conclusion Russia is a paper tiger made of wet paper. Fucking LOL.

The Government of Georgia is applying for the European Union membership, the ruling Georgian Dream (GD) party chairman Irakli Kobakhidze said on Wednesday.
At the special briefing Irakli Kobakhidze stated that the Government of Georgia, led by Prime Minister Irakli Garibashvili, was already preparing an application for EU candidate status.
Georgian Dream (GD) party chairman stressed that the application for EU membership backed by new reforms in 2024 would have had an advantage over applying hastily.
However, given a general political context and anew reality, following the consultations with the members of the party's political council and, first of all, with the Prime Minister, the Georgian Dream's political team made a political decision to apply for EU membership immediately, Irakli Kobakhidze said, adding that the application for EU candidate status will be officially submitted to the EU structures on behalf of the Georgian government tomorrow.

The ruling Georgian Dream party chairman called on the EU structures to consider the application on an urgent basis and to make a decision on granting Georgia the status of EU candidate.
The Committee on European Integration of the Georgian Parliament on Tuesday prepared a draft resolution on the country's integration into the European Union, calling on EU member states and institutions to take all necessary steps to accelerate Georgia's accession to the Union.
Heidi Hautala, a Member of the European Parliament from Finland said "Ukraine and Georgia deserve European prospects" in an interview released by Georgia's Imedi channel on Wednesday.
The strong thrive. The weak are picking mushrooms in the forest near their stuck vehicle.

bright light bright light bright light

Double post, but I think something must be made very clear here. This is Georgia:

1646255390174.png

This is a small country whose biggest border by very far is with Russia. Russia is currently doing a large military operation and the European Union, which is very far from Georgia and has no land border with Georgia, has become so openly hostile to Russia the best description for it would be co-belligerent in a war against Russia.

After very careful evaluation of the Russian military potential, their government decided to send a MASSIVE diplomatic fuck-you and to request being allied to an open enemy of Russia.

I will leave as an exercise to the reader the conclusions to take as for the utter failure of the Russian military that might have motivated this decision. I will leave as an exercise to the idiots the mind-bending required to explain this in their universe where the Russian military is now anything else than laughable.

Also, in the meantime, you can see the awful traitors to Russia being rightfully arrested by the heroic police for talking up against the highly successful campaign to kill nazis:

Elena Osipova, survivor of the Leningrad siege, now apparently Western-controlled traitor to Russia.

Well duh, they're fighting on Ukranian soil, Russia doesn't have any civilians on the battlefield to kill. That's not my concern here though, which has to do with how people want Ukraine to win so badly that I fear it may be distorting the media presentation as to be completely divorced from the actual situation on the ground. How much of what we are hearing is real, and how much of it is just us being told what we want to hear?
The media is a complete circus; twitter is even worse. TBH I don't think there are (nor can be) any 'actually good' sources of public information in this mess, but speaking personally, I've on-and-off followed some Ukrainian bloggers, although a probably biased section in that they're all pretty much anti-Zelensky (ok, not all of them were such during his election, as some only turned against him when it became clear Ze had no intention of peace in Donbass). I really can't remotely keep up this stuff anymore, even watching at double speed; e.g. Sharij alone now streams around 8 hours a day—he's was good EU-based journalist (but worse politician) that has several reporters working for him, but damn.

I like Aleksandr Semchenko (Kiev-based), especially because he puts in a lot information about what the Ukrainian officials are saying. One thing I've learned from him just today is that that according to Ukrainian intelligence, documents captured from the Russian 81st Marine division show that this special operation was planned to take 15 days. I don't really know if that's true, but it's the most verisimilar number bandied about so far that's not obviously pulled out of somebody's arse. Of course, plans and reality are different, but this puts some bounds what the Russian military might have expected going in.

One can indirectly learn a bit from the Ukrainian propaganda. For example, recently they've put out a notice warning people that soon, Russian propaganda will claim that the cities of Chernikov, Kharkov, Kherson, Nikolev, Mariupol, and Odessa are taken. What this probably means is that Ukraine expects to lose control of these cities soon (in fact they have done so of Kherson).

As for actual military operations, I have very little clue, though ironnically the previously plugged Podolyaka seems to my completely amateur eye (so really YMMV) to have the best summaries. Ironically, he's been dismissed as a Marsupial for being too pro-Ukranian by some Russian posters here (perhaps because he was an organiser in the 2004 maidan and is now Crimea-based).

The media is a complete circus; twitter is even worse. TBH I don't think there are (nor can be) any 'actually good' sources of public information in this mess, but speaking personally, I've on-and-off followed some Ukrainian bloggers, although a probably biased section in that they're all pretty much anti-Zelensky (ok, not all of them were such during his election, as some only turned against him when it became clear Ze had no intention of peace in Donbass). I really can't remotely keep up this stuff anymore, even watching at double speed; e.g. Sharij alone now streams around 8 hours a day—he's was good EU-based journalist (but worse politician) that has several reporters working for him, but damn.
The media, both regular and social, is definitely a massive circus, but the tactical situation doesn't change much regarding the strategic aspect:

A) Something went REALLY wrong with the Russian logistics/organization, and capital letters aren't enough emphasis for how wrong it went and how much of a shitshow the operation has been until now.
B) The virtual absence of the Russian Air Force and the, well, very sub-par level of the airborne operations (with airborne troops being apparently used as more regular forces but with their superior training) indicates some awful execution of plans considering that invasion plans of Ukraine must have been written and improved yearly for twenty years at least.
C) The RIA article indicates pretty clearly that the short-term objective of the war is the full annexion of Ukraine in Russia, something that is beyond what the fuck insane optimism even if the operation didn't turn into a shitshow from Day 2.
D) Foreign governments are now openly evaluating the Russian military and government as a virtual non-threat if Georgia is actually filling its candidacy for the EU, which has now become an openly hostile military alliance against Russia, considering the candidacy process will literally last years and that Georgia has no land border with EU. This is an insane move unless they are highly confident that Russia will not be a threat to Georgia in the next decade.
E) The diplomatic movement around Russia looks less like "sanctions" and more "vultures turning around a dying prey" with a large part of the Russian foreign currency reserves frozen or unavailable.
F) The Ukrainian population has been quite galvanized and is showing strong morale, making a peaceful annexion de facto impossible.
G) The EU is going all-in on gutting as many economic ties with Russia as possible and tries doing it as fast as realistically possible, even if it implies spending a shitton of money to do it.
H) Finland is openly in favour of joining NATO.
I) Germany is rearming and debating the reintroduction of conscription.
J) Guns, missiles, intelligence and people (including highly-trained soldiers such as technically deserting French Foreign Legionnaires) are joining the fray just to inflict as much damage as possible to the Russian forces.
K) The Russian government feels the need to punish with up to 20 years of prison the very act of protesting against this war.
L) F to I combine to apply constant losses in men and equipment to the military for the inside while simultaneously imposing higher demands from it for the outside.
M) The only realistic alternative to the sanctions is to fully integrate Russia's economy with China's, and I doubt anyone seriously believes this is a survivable move considering how China acquires everything of value in terms of intellectual property before leveraging its much higher population and financial resources to outcompete the plundered country.

I don't know about you, Vorpal, but these facts makes me look at the situation and reach the conclusion that no matter how it goes on the ground now, Putin is in a situation that has no winning scenario. The news, memes or twitter are, well, irrelevant unless these facts can be removed somehow. Trying to endure with all of these is a clear recipe for national catastrophe.

And I think I must emphasize D very much: the Georgian government, whose country was pretty much assraped by Russia quite recently, literally bet their country's continued existence and probably their own lives on the notion that Russia will not be a threat to Georgia not for a few weeks, not for a few months, but for a good decade. That is... a strong assessment they made, and they are ready to bet it all on it.

Last edited:
The media, both regular and social, is definitely a massive circus, but the tactical situation doesn't change much regarding the strategic aspect:

A) Something went REALLY wrong with the Russian logistics/organization, and capital letters aren't enough emphasis for how wrong it went and how much of a shitshow the operation has been until now.
B) The virtual absence of the Russian Air Force and the, well, very sub-par level of the airborne operations (with airborne troops being apparently used as more regular forces but with their superior training) indicates some awful execution of plans considering that invasion plans of Ukraine must have been written and improved yearly for twenty years at least.
C) The RIA article indicates pretty clearly that the short-term objective of the war is the full annexion of Ukraine in Russia, something that is beyond what the fuck insane optimism even if the operation didn't turn into a shitshow from Day 2.
D) Foreign governments are now openly evaluating the Russian military and government as a virtual non-threat if Georgia is actually filling its candidacy for the EU, which has now become an openly hostile military alliance against Russia, considering the candidacy process will literally last years and that Georgia has no land border with EU. This is an insane move unless they are highly confident that Russia will not be a threat to Georgia in the next decade.
E) The diplomatic movement around Russia looks less like "sanctions" and more "vultures turning around a dying prey" with a large part of the Russian foreign currency reserves frozen or unavailable.
F) The Ukrainian population has been quite galvanized and is showing strong morale, making a peaceful annexion de facto impossible.
G) The EU is going all-in on gutting as many economic ties with Russia as possible and tries doing it as fast as realistically possible, even if it implies spending a shitton of money to do it.
H) Finland is openly in favour of joining NATO.
I) Germany is rearming and debating the reintroduction of conscription.
J) Guns, missiles, intelligence and people (including highly-trained soldiers such as technically deserting French Foreign Legionnaires) are joining the fray just to inflict as much damage as possible to the Russian forces.
K) The Russian government feels the need to punish with up to 20 years of prison the very act of protesting against this war.
L) F to I combine to apply constant losses in men and equipment to the military for the inside while simultaneously imposing higher demands from it for the outside.
M) The only realistic alternative to the sanctions is to fully integrate Russia's economy with China's, and I doubt anyone seriously believes this is a survivable move considering how China acquires everything of value in terms of intellectual property before leveraging its much higher population and financial resources to outcompete the plundered country.

I don't know about you, Vorpal, but these facts makes me look at the situation and reach the conclusion that no matter how it goes on the ground now, Putin is in a situation that has no winning scenario. The news, memes or twitter are, well, irrelevant unless these facts can be removed somehow. Trying to endure with all of these is a clear recipe for national catastrophe.

And I think I must emphasize D very much: the Georgian government, whose country was pretty much assraped by Russia quite recently, literally bet their country's continued existence and probably their own lives on the notion that Russia will not be a threat to Georgia not for a few weeks, not for a few months, but for a good decade. That is... a strong assessment they made, and they are ready to bet it all on it.

The greatest logistical problems are in the north due to the constrainments of the geography and transport infrastructure. Destruction of the train carrying fuel by Ukrainina UCAV did not made it better.

Also take a natoe that in the Russians have reached outskirts of Kiev by the second day, with push from Crimea reaching Dniepr at the day 1 along the Kherson bridge and Kakovka, thast roughly 40 km in a straight line from starting position. Since day three you have stabilisation in the Kiev region, consolidation and gradual encirclement. The same goes for Kharkov and other large cities.
Ukraininas have chosen to fortify the urban areas, like Kharkov, and surrounding zones into fortresses. No one will even try to take them either head on or at all, unless someone beliefs that these platoon columns destroyed while on the move in rural areas or small towns are these attempts.

Also VKS is becoming more active since yesterday, mainly becouse they started bringing in maintenance and supplies into the bases from which they operate. The same goes for gound elements as times goes on and rears are being stabilised, of which increasingly prerelevant artillery fire, mainly with MRLS's. Ukrainians are declared mass mobilisation and want to conscript prisoners, in Kiev they were handing out weapons to general population. Also Zelensky's requests for NATO provided no fly zone, basically no activity of Ukrainian Air Forces, nor even mentioning of anything else from conventional troops. There is no footage from supposedly great battles, no columns of mass surrenderring Russians, only individual conscripts, destruction of few Tigrs or tanks from obvious ambushes as supposedly devastating defeats. No high ranking prisoners have been taken.

Eyes of the world are on Kiev and Kharkov, but no one is looking to the south, which is basically lost, and Eastern part of the country from the Dniepr river soon after. With Azow sea coast controlled, then there is another way of bringing supplies and reinforcements, which will only speed up clearing the Eastern Ukraine.

On the other hand, in Poland we have slowly growing nuclear scare.

Last edited:
One can indirectly learn a bit from the Ukrainian propaganda. For example, recently they've put out a notice warning people that soon, Russian propaganda will claim that the cities of Chernikov, Kharkov, Kherson, Nikolev, Mariupol, and Odessa are taken. What this probably means is that Ukraine expects to lose control of these cities soon (in fact they have done so of Kherson).
That's basically consistent with what I'm seeing; the Telegraph just reported Russian paratroopers landing in Kharkiv so that might be next. While the "Russia bad" narrative is here to stay, the "Russia weak" narrative might not be long for this world.

On a sidenote to this entire sh*tshow:

The German supermarket chains Aldi, Rewe and Edeka are currently checking which Russian products they will remove from their range. The supermarket discounter Aldi is removing Russian vodka from its range indefinitely.

But also in other countries such as the USA, Russian products are boycotted.

As the saying goes: Even small fry make a mess.

Back
Top Bottom