What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Firebombing at Kyoani

Jakarta

Cutest Mod
Man shouting 'You die' kills 33 at Japan anime studio

TOKYO (AP) — A man screaming "You die!" burst into an animation studio in Kyoto, doused it with a flammable liquid and set it on fire Thursday, killing 33 people in an attack that shocked the country and brought an outpouring of grief from anime fans.

Thirty-six others were injured, some of them critically, in a blaze that sent people scrambling up the stairs toward the roof in a desperate — and futile — attempt to escape what proved to be Japan's deadliest fire in nearly two decades. Others emerged bleeding, blackened and barefoot.

The suspect, identified only a 41-year-old man who did not work for the studio, was injured and taken to a hospital. Police gave no details on the motive, but a witness told Japanese TV that the attacker angrily complained that something of his had been stolen, possibly by the company.

Condolensces to the people killed. And man... Kyoani is quite literally my favourite anime studio. Why would anyone do this?

Maybe he thought that they stole a story idea or something related. Though arson seems like a super overreaction.

Is this there only location?

AFAIK yes. Their office in Kyoto's the only one attacked.

This is horrible. It's hard to tell the reason (presumably it'll come out at some point), but really the reason scarcely matters at this point.

If you guys want to donate more directly instead of waiting for Sentai to send to money. Go to the official Kyoani Shop.

And here's a guide for all the Japanese.

This is horrible. It's hard to tell the reason (presumably it'll come out at some point), but really the reason scarcely matters at this point.
For all we know it could be a form of hate crime. I've always thought the people ranting "death to weeboos" on some parts of the net were trolling, but idk now.

Kinda reminds me of the time some asshole tried dropping a chemical weapon on a furry con.

For all we know it could be a form of hate crime. I've always thought the people ranting "death to weeboos" on some parts of the net were trolling, but idk now.

Kinda reminds me of the time some asshole tried dropping a chemical weapon on a furry con.

I highly doubt it's mainly a death to weaboos thing. Primarily because its being done in japan and because the motivation was "something being stolen being". So it's either mere lunacy, or an artist that was fucked with ten too many times.

What anime were they famous for?
Haruhi, Lucky Star, Full Metal Panic, K-On, Hyouka, Violet Ever Garden. Most notably the company has a large percentage of female employees and people jokingly say that's why most of their anime are moeshit. But there is a reason why a lot of female animator work for them. They treat their animators better than other company and has maternity leave. So it's a sad thing all around

Here's a thread about the current situation on the studio. From a dual language speaker translating Japanese news.

I was reading about this elsewhere and I was really upset. Considering fire and drowning are my two biggest feared ways of dieing that are actually likely to happen in reality, and then seeing this with so may. Actually got a little sick to my stomach. And for what! Some nutjob thought they copied him? This is exactly why we cant have nice things. Cause stupid dickheads decide to do horrible shit to good people.

Kyoto Animation President States in Interview That All Materials, Computers Were Destroyed in Fire

In an interview for the mass media on Friday, Kyoto Animation president Hideaki Hatta stated that all of the past animation materials and computers housed in Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio building were destroyed in Thursday's fire in the building. Hatta told the media, "The [monetary] amount of the damage? Extreme. I don't know the full details."

Kyoto Animation's 1st Studio building is located near Rokujizō Station in Uji City in Kyoto. Most of the studio's main line production takes place inside the building. The company also has a head office, a 2nd Studio building, a Tokyo Office, and the Animation DO building in other locations.

Hatta stated in the interview, "I am deeply heartbroken. I can't bear it. I never even in my dreams would have thought such a large disaster would happen." He later added, "This is a serious blow to our company and our industry. Every one of them was an excellent and wonderful colleague."

Source: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...ials-computers-were-destroyed-in-fire/.149142

The silver lining in this is that Sunrise has pledged economic support, Animate is doing a fundraising in their physical stores, and the Sentai Filmworks fundraising is nearly at 2 million at this point.

But god, replacing that many animators who lost their lives is going to be a massive pain in the ass.

Not meant to deprecate the lives lost at this arson attack. Those are priceless for obvious reasons.

Back
Top Bottom