What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going Nuclear to Desalinate Seawater

Paulo Brito

Author

Well, the Saudis use oil and have the biggest desalination installation in the world - 1 million m3 / day.
Yes, I know, they are the Saudis.
For the rest of the world, nuclear is the way. You have a serious lack of potable water in the world, bigger than the one of energy.

Well, the Saudis use oil and have the biggest desalination installation in the world - 1 million m3 / day.
For the rest of the world, nuclear is the way. You have a serious lack of potable water in the world, bigger than the one of energy.

Yeah, shortages of potable water (and by relation food) are going to be major drivers of conflict this century especially given increasing climate instability, so having the energy generation powerful (and cheap) enough to generate potable water is going to be critical both on Earth (and in the long run any future off-planet ventures to boot).

And you can still taste the hint of salt. In Saudi Arabia, drink only bottled water, from wells or throughly reverse osmosis the tap water (and eat your multivitamins and mineral supplements if you drink RO water for extended times). Personal experience and advice from locals and fellow expats.

Actually, make it most of the Arabian Peninsula.

Back
Top Bottom