What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Greece to boost military amid tensions with neighbor Turkey

The duck family grows larger
What I find amusing is that for the same number of planes, the Colombian deal will be 40 % cheaper than the German one with F-35. And here I was told the Pigeon was cheaper.

What I find amusing is that for the same number of planes, the Colombian deal will be 40 % cheaper than the German one with F-35. And here I was told the Pigeon

Well Russia being reduced to a Pariahs Pariah with all it entails both politically and the international infamy gained by their crapage weapons certainly helped a certain country boost sales? :p

Heard the Turks are throwing a tantrum and threatening to shoot missiles into Greece if they buy more stuff or something like that?

Heard the Americans had to park a carrier group in the Aegean Sea and base themselves in Italy.

Well Russia being reduced to a Pariahs Pariah with all it entails both politically and the international infamy gained by their crapage weapons certainly helped a certain country boost sales? :p
Thank the US too, with their legislation sanctioning those buying Russian planes, Indonesia moved from Su-35 to Duckie in its plans.

Heard the Turks are throwing a tantrum and threatening to shoot missiles into Greece if they buy more stuff or something like that?

Heard the Americans had to park a carrier group in the Aegean Sea and base themselves in Italy.
Yea Erdo and his pet fascists are growing progressively crazier unfortunately.

Elbit Systems has landed Greece's first two M-346 training aircraft at the country's recently-constructed Hellenic International Flight Training Center in Kalamata.

The handover is part of a Hellenic Air Force's program to train and familiarize pilots with the service's modern fighter jets.

The delivery also supports the Greek and Israeli defense ministries' efforts to enhance strategic aerospace cooperation.

'Significant Milestone'

Built by Leonardo, the M-346 tandem-seat aircraft is equipped with digital flight controls, heads-up displays, and a fly-by-wire control system.

Greece's recently-delivered M-346s are integrated with Elbit's virtual avionics that simulates realistic aerial combat scenarios.

The aircraft's onboard simulation technology is operated with a ground-based training system to optimize fleet training management.

And in accordance to our venerable tradition of buying a bit of something from everyone Greece just recieved its first 2 brand new Italian Built M-346 trainers slated to replace the venerable T series.

tn_2-3.jpg

The resulting mid level diplomatic faction that followed gives me a greater understanding of the significance of such tbh.

Greece has ever been a client to Great Powers and host to military missions.

From the French military missions to the Brit and US naval missions to other weapons diplomacy, there is a low level but persistent hard to accurately gauge diplomatic activity and contact involved in high end weapon programs and purchases.

Our defense minister for example has made France his second home frequently visiting the shipyards where the Belharas were laid out.

Vacation opportunities!

Last edited:

And by the looks of it the Indian Navy Force preffers the ducky for its needs despite US courting and pressure.

I guess Trump and the real possibility of any potential R american president blowing up important international deals for internal consumption still looms large on everyones mind

And by the looks of it the Indian Navy Force preffers the ducky for its needs despite US courting and pressure.

I guess Trump and the real possibility of any potential R american president blowing up important international deals for internal consumption still looms large on everyones mind
Various reasons for this choice. Politics, of course, and as usual, the French policy of "you buy it, we don't care how many so-called war crimes you do with it, we'll sell you ammunition for it" helps a lot, especially compared to the US' tendencies of micromanaging sales. Then, as you pointed out, the instability of future US politics. In the technical aspect, Rafale M outperforms the Super Hornet in numerous aspects and this is likely to be even moreso in the future as the US stops producing these while France will keep producing and upgrading its Rafale for decades to come. Finally, the logistics and training: Rafale M is 80-90 % identical to B and C, which allows a ton of savings and simplifications for the overall management, especially if they eventually intend to produce their own Rafale in-house.

Apparently, when one orders duckies, they tend to want more quite soon afterwards. Still early phase, but that would be a pretty cool development, and in addition, the grapevine says they want to upgrade their current fleet to the F4.1 standard, with better radar, EW, new weapons and better networked communication systems. If they buy more, they'd most likely be standard F4.2, which will include deep internal hardware changes compared to versions F2 and F3 (F4.1 is F3 upgraded with the F4.2 allowed with the previous hardware configuration).

Well yes obviously when you make a major purchase of a vital weapon system like a war plane it goes without saying you will upgrade and maintain the fuck out of it.

That.s how Greece got a solid 4 decades of service out of its Mirage-2000s.

I expect the Rafale to have the same long service with all the required upgrades and shit ofc.

BelharraKIMON.jpg

The first of the three FDI HN "Belharra" frigates ordered for the Greek Navy was launched on Wednesday at the Naval Group's site in Lorient, France.

The launching of frigate "KIMON" took place in the presence of Greek National Defense Minister Nikos Dendias, his French counterpart Sébastien Lecornu, the chief of the Hellenic Navy General Staff Vice Admiral Ioannis Drymoussis and a large number of high-ranking officials.

BelharraKIMON.jpg

Frigate "Kimon" is 122m long and can reach a maximum speed 27 knots, while it is equipped with advanced digital technologies such as the Panoramic Sensor Intelligence Module, the advanced sonar system CAPTAS-4 and the fully digital radar Sea Fire.

Video: Belharra launching

Click 'I agree' to enable Youtube
Cookie Policy
I agree

The first frigate of the three in total is expected to be delivered to Greece after a year. The contract was signed between Greek PM Mitsotakis and French President Macron in 2021.

Each frigate costs one billion euros, MEGA TV reported, adding that it is the first ship for the Greek Navy after 25 years.

First new ship to join the Greek Navy in 2 decade and she is...

Well a beauty goes without saying but she also looks brutal!

So MBS after they refused to give him Eurofighters decided to join the duck family :p\

In Salah bork!
Not yet. The Saudis asked for a quote, which is a political message to the US and the EF consortium to say 'If you don't sell to us, we can buy elsewhere.', which is what the Saudis themselves did to the US when Washington was unsure about selling F-15 to Riyadh and quotes were asked for the Mirage F1 for this very reason.

Not yet. The Saudis asked for a quote, which is a political message to the US and the EF consortium to say 'If you don't sell to us, we can buy elsewhere.', which is what the Saudis themselves did to the US when Washington was unsure about selling F-15 to Riyadh and quotes were asked for the Mirage F1 for this very reason.

That the customer can and will go somewhere else, if he is offered a better deal there, seems like Business Commonsense 101 to me.
But I wonder if the American MiC really groks that concept.

That the customer can and will go somewhere else, if he is offered a better deal there, seems like Business Commonsense 101 to me.
But I wonder if the American MiC really groks that concept.
Fighter jets business isn't business, it's politics, so it's all about balancing politics, performance and budget, which in turn is the core of all arms trading and the various niches found by producers. Germany's niche is selling to democracies that need a peacetime army, South Korea is selling to US-approved buyers who need a shitton of land forces fast, France sells to people who don't want to be seen buying from US or Russia and who want no question or red tape.

Fighter jets business isn't business, it's politics, so it's all about balancing politics, performance and budget, which in turn is the core of all arms trading and the various niches found by producers. Germany's niche is selling to democracies that need a peacetime army, South Korea is selling to US-approved buyers who need a shitton of land forces fast, France sells to people who don't want to be seen buying from US or Russia and who want no question or red tape.

I'm imagining someone in a trench coat and beret leaning out of an alleyway and saying "Pssst buddy, want to buy some anti-air missiles?"

Back
Top Bottom