What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International Greece to boost military amid tensions with neighbor Turkey

Thing is... it's also a pretty good deal for us as we're providing used versions, due to a "small detail" in the plane's roadmap. See, one of the duckie's very strong points is that its upgrades are insanely easy to set up, you can go from an old standard to a new one directly in the hangar, without going back to the factory, swap equipment and the like very easily. At least, until the next standard, the F4. That one will involve new cable setups and equipment that isn't retrofittable to previous planes without some really big work, so there will be a F4.1 and a F4.2 standard, respectively for the current planes being upgraded (that will have the upgrades to existing sensors, the new software, weapons, etc.) and the new ones to be built, which will not be compatible between each other. So, by offering lightly used planes to foreign customers, we can make the sales quickly while using the money to get newly-built F4.2 planes will all the bells and whistles as a much lower price.

We dont care.

All your Canards belong to us!

And if the generals get their way we will be dropping the F-35 in the far off future options along with the legacy Block 30 F16 and will be getting +2+20 Canards to plug the gaping holes in the HA left by more than a decade of austerity along with the offered French frigates.

For all the time I have been lurking in some vet FB pages I have never seen such enthusiasm over French weapons.

It is usually F-35 this or the latest Russian *superweapon* that. Lately they have been all about Rafales, their dr00lworthy missiles and sexy sleek French frigates!?

We dont care.

And if the generals get their way we will be dropping the F-35 in the far off future options along with the legacy Block 30 F16 and will be getting +2+20 Canards to plug the gaping holes in the HA left by more than a decade of austerity along with the offered French frigates.

For all the time I have been lurking in some vet FB pages I have never seen such enthusiasm over French weapons.

It is usually F-35 this or the latest Russian *superweapon* that. Lately they have been all about Rafales, their dr00lworthy missiles and sexy sleek French frigates!?

My mind is definitely in the gutters today, as that sentence brought about the images of burly Greeks doing some sweaty stuff to French...objects. Brrr!

*goes off to find brain-bleach*

My mind is definitely in the gutters today, as that sentence brought about the images of burly Greeks doing some sweaty stuff to French...objects. Brrr!

*goes off to find brain-bleach*
68f.jpg

We dont care.

Huh? Source on this?

Israel will sell 10 Aermacchi trainers, and will help the training of Greek pilots.

I don't know how Greece can sustain all this expenses.
They modernized the F-16, bought the F-35 and the Rafales, and now this.

Israel will sell 10 Aermacchi trainers, and will help the training of Greek pilots.

I don't know how Greece can sustain all this expenses.
They modernized the F-16, bought the F-35 and the Rafales, and now this.
Simple: the EU decides to look elsewhere, money is cheap thanks to the pandemic and they bought off France right away to make sure noone would complain loudly.

Simple: the EU decides to look elsewhere, money is cheap thanks to the pandemic and they bought off France right away to make sure noone would complain loudly.

Fiscal compact is deader than disco, now we will see how our countries will go on

ps: Italy will go broken, unlike Greece

Er all that is part of the 10 billion major buy that will be stretched out for like a decade plus.

The only things we are getting now are the French thingys, the rest can be put in the next years budgets.

And the contract is signed for 18 planes, @Eliar, congratulations for joining the Duckie family! An interesting detail about the sale is that it includes, among other armament, Meteor and Scalp missiles. The first will make Turkish pilots piss themselves as they, well, have zero counter whatsoever in air superiority now. The second will piss off the air defence generals, as it outranges even the yet-to-be-activated S-400 they ordered and is stealthy enough to reliably strike most places of value in Turkey without leaving Greek airspace.

Muahahaha Canards GET!

Local news also report that the French defense minister brought a very good proposal for 4 of dem sexy frigates.

We will see how that one goes though

Well the conditions my government is putting forward in order to buy those frigates are rumored to be harsh -tech transfer, 2 of the frigates to be built in Greece etc- but I believe none can accuse us of being India :p

*Grabs the absinthe*

Well the conditions my government is putting forward in order to buy those frigates are rumored to be harsh -tech transfer, 2 of the frigates to be built in Greece etc- but I believe none can accuse us of being India :p

*Grabs the absinthe*
Le Meh, tech remains in Europe, agreements can lead to higher production runs and lower costs through distribution of work, etc. We had similar conditions for the Australian submarines derived from our Suffren-class SSN.

@Eliar Apparently, Naval Group and the French Navy would offer to lease two frigates to Greece if Athens goes with the FDI offer, the Jean Bart anti-air frigate and the Latouche-Tréville anti-submarine frigate. They were both launched around 1988-1989 and, according to Greek officials who visited them as part of the offer, are in surprisingly good state. Jean Bart comes with modernized SM-1 missiles and an actually pretty modern 3D radar since its refit in 2012 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART-S). Latouche-Tréville carries two ASW helicopters and both of them are fielding Exocet, of course.

1616596752479.png 1616596759891.png

They would be loaned to Greece until delivery of the FDI if Athens goes with the deal.

Yea I know.

Honestly local analysts say that the French offer while pricy, for Greece anyway, is very very good and we would have already taken it had Trump won the US elections.

He did not though and the Americans really want a piece of the 10 billion pie that Greece has earmarked for defence.

Problem for them is that we have already bought the Duckies, while their F-35 is not really up for export for a long time to come while their naval offers are... Less than attractive to say the least.

There is only so much we are willing to compromise for political capital, not that the Americans are not doing their own diplo love attack this period :p

Anyway there seems to be a serious grindlock in the highest levels over what to buy for the navy.

My bet is that we will probably opt for an upgrade program for some of our F-16 to appease our American masters friends and grab the French frigates in the end.

Its amazing how many friends one can discover when they open their purse :p

Anyway the French defense minister came today as a guest of honor for our 200 celebration of kicking the Turks out so we may have news soon.

Uh so according to local media Turkey actually bought the long retired Brazilian carrier Sao Paolo?

And they claim they can totally reconfigure and fix it.

Officially as a trainer, unofficially they are making noises about buying SU 27s to go with it?

Whatever the loving fuck is happening over there...

Uh so according to local media Turkey actually bought the long retired Brazilian carrier Sao Paolo?

And they claim they can totally reconfigure and fix it.

Officially as a trainer, unofficially they are making noises about buying SU 27s to go with it?

Whatever the loving fuck is happening over there...
Short answer: no.

Long answer: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. The former Foch's elevators are literally unable to support the weight of an empty Su-27, let alone the heavier navalized version Su-33. They would barely manage to carry an empty F-4 Phantom, and the catapult would suffer trying to launch a F-4 with any amount of fuel, without even talking about ammunition.

Then there's the issue of why the flying fuck would they need a carrier? Every single fuckin' potential target is within range of land-based aircraft, and the Med is so small while being so covered by Greek-French-Italian-Israeli forces that the carrier would be tracked 24/7/365 with torpedoes ready to sink it within minutes. It has literally no use for Turkey, so your best hope is that they actually try to waste money making it a "prestige project".

I'll let you translate this page about the carrier's specifications: http://www.netmarine.net/bat/porteavi/foch/services.htm
  • 2 catapultes a vapeur longues de 50 m, permettant au maximum de lancer des masses de 20 tonnes.
  • 2 ascenseurs, avant et latéral. Masse maximale 15 tonnes
2 steam catapults capable of launching 20 ton max loads
2 elevators with a maximal mass of 15 tons.

Naval variant of Su-33: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-33
  • Empty weight: 18,400 kg (40,565 lb)

Conclusion? LOL

Short answer: no.

Long answer: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! No. The former Foch's elevators are literally unable to support the weight of an empty Su-27, let alone the heavier navalized version Su-33. They would barely manage to carry an empty F-4 Phantom, and the catapult would suffer trying to launch a F-4 with any amount of fuel, without even talking about ammunition.

Then there's the issue of why the flying fuck would they need a carrier? Every single fuckin' potential target is within range of land-based aircraft, and the Med is so small while being so covered by Greek-French-Italian-Israeli forces that the carrier would be tracked 24/7/365 with torpedoes ready to sink it within minutes. It has literally no use for Turkey, so your best hope is that they actually try to waste money making it a "prestige project".

Well they already have a heli carrier and they have been making noises about wanting a carrier for some time now so probably prestige project?

I mean I tried googling to get some confirmation but the best i found is that Sao Paolo was sold for scrap March 12 to an undisclosed company.

Thing is the local channel that broke the news that Turkey was the one that bought it along withe rest I stated above has a very very good score on securing scoops about Turkey so I cannot dismiss it as wild rumors.

Anyway looks like Turkey got themselves a White Elephant at a time their economy is slowly crashing so more power to them?

Ok.

Apparently a Turkish company bought it in order to get it to a Turkish yard for scrapping and some Turkish officers current and ex said that the Turkish Navy should totally buy it and put it to service.

Well it is not as bad as I thought bad still I will watch this with great interest.

Ok.

Apparently a Turkish company bought it in order to get it to a Turkish yard for scrapping and some Turkish officers current and ex said that the Turkish Navy should totally buy it and put it to service.

Well it is not as bad as I thought bad still I will watch this with great interest.
And many people hope they actually go for it, wasting tons of resources for zero effect.

Back
Top Bottom