What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Horizons: Inner Sphere - Quest

So many vital things to do so little time time...

We get to stuff as we can or as we are forced to really. Right now we need to deal with uplifting and integrating what was the Circinus federation. It's colony worlds we will get to I assume once we we got Circinus squared away and once the pirates make themselves a convenient target. Though we do need to spread the word we are claiming those worlds. No one should be able to claim them but never know. They are vulnerable enough anyone could probably take them now.

As for patrols we need to be able to get a inside a week response time. The thing with raids unless the pirates use insanely risky Lagrange point, aka pirate points, can take weeks to pull off. A week traveling from jumpship to target world. However long it takes to complete the raid and/or butchering and then a week to return to jumpship to leave. We catch them in transit awesome we can gank them easy. We get there and take their jumpship they can riot on the world but they are otherwise done.
Well... Ideally, we find out how well the HFEG plays with the Jump drive, so that we can jump in a Squadron or two with a jump ship, after discovering a pirate raid via Ansible... *wink wink nudge nudge*

Well... Ideally, we find out how well the HFEG plays with the Jump drive, so that we can jump in a Squadron or two with a jump ship, after discovering a pirate raid via Ansible... *wink wink nudge nudge*
Yeah that would be hilarious but we still got to get there. Ideally yeah pirates jump in and by time they can undock and start moving we jump in a kill squadron. We will not stop all raids. If they were smart or sane they would not be pirates but if we become a black hole of check in but don't check out eventually most will get the message. This will also, with trade, be the big incentive to join up with us as we prove to be very useful neighbors.
Uh they did seem in my tabl;et. They seem fine now?
Saw some stuff like where put one more day instead one more turn and some spelling stuff but nothing worth mentioning really. Hell spelling is probably just translation from German.

Well... I know that in one or two instances I write day instead of turn, so I might have missed a thing or two there.

Additionally, they had already talked to several dock yards, which were willing to build the large Primary Ansible Node Satellites, powered by large 50GW fusion reactors and making use of large conventional heat radiators, while orbiting the primary about 1 AU inside the Heim-Feynman Limit of the primary on highly ecliptic orbits. Based on the TSAC proposals, three Primary Nodes would orbit every star, allowing a larger number of parallel connections, as the data throughput in general is limited per connection.
So… From an IG perspective this makes me think that there would be server farms attached to the local ansibles, which would provide low latency access to locally (as in the same solar system) cached data. This would lift a burden the ansibles would otherwise need to shoulder and eat into the max bandwidth. The 1AU ansibles would still be connected to the planetary ansibles, of course, but by hosting data directly next to the intersolar ansibles, the intrasolar connections can be kept relatively free.
Why you ask? Well, imagine you're on Beta Hydri and want to watch a video from a Sol producer.
Welcome to the Universe of Battletech, where 50 years ago a very rare multiversal event had exchanged an area of space fifty lightyears in diameter, centered around a point just a lightyear away from Sol.
This... well, it confuses me a bit. Beta Hydri is 24ly from Sol, 61 Virginis is 28. Shouldn't the Quetzal have noted the change about 28 years before, followed by the Tiaunt shortishly after? I mean, I just noticed that, so I'm wondering. The Walker Cluster did have HFEG FTL and were in cultural and scientific exchange, right? If they did, I'd expect the local anniversaries to be something of a noted event.
Slowly, the two jumpships unfurled their sails behind them, the immense area of the solar arrays capturing energy to recharge the jump drives.
I once again note my confusion. The com buoys are powered by 5GW fusion power (which is in top ten of any power plant globally 2020), yet the jump ship can meet its power demands with solar power? That seems… improbable. If I'm generous, then there'd be about 100 W/m^2 solar irradiance near the HF limit. for parity at really high effectiveness (50%), to meet the low end of 5GW, you'd need to unfold 100 square kilometres (40 square miles) of recharging sails. That seems, well, hard to stow away, if nothing else. But maybe I'm too married to current tech, BT tech is supposed to be a thousand years ahead in some aspects and I honestly don't know the lore of that setting.

Which brings up another thing or two:
Jump ship value. Are they simply not being built anymore at all and forgotten tech, or are they difficult to build (manufacture only in IS), or what? In the narration the surviving Jump ship captains almost immediately surrendered after they saw their fellows being shot shortly after jumping into Beta Hydri. Because in both cases we could get a big leg up if we're the sole manufacturer—and exporter— of Jump ships. To outsiders the manufacture shows our technological and industrial prowess, while the latter would profess that the WCDC is confident enough in their military that they allow the export of easily weaponisable (by attaching mercenary drop ships) ships.

I want to seed all surrounding systems (starting with the WCDC systems and colonies, then generally inhabited systems if amenable[1], then the closest uninhabited neighbouring systems) with a small constellation of spy/survey satellites that are (ideally) tied into a local ansible node (probably separate from the regular ansible net). Aaaand since I'm remembering the surveillance satellites just now, well, these really ought to be connected to ansibles, given the volume of satellites and space I'm talking about. Preference would be given to systems in the 120º arc facing IS/spinward. I feel like that should give us a very good chance of detecting all incoming and passing through jump ships. Since I expect there to be identifying features on jump ships, these observations would allow our intelligence to draw conclusion from individual or also general movement patterns that the superluminal wave detector wouldn't. Incidentally, we'll still want that. Even unconnected constellations would yield a lot of information on the systems (prospecting) as well as activity (verifying alibis of mercenaries and traders), with data downloads happening during the usual patrols. Though manual data collection with patrols would likely require increase in patrols of uninhabited systems.

[1] Since there are a lot of tech levels in the setting, some planetary populations may not know or understand what we want to do; these could safely be spied on[2]. If they have a sufficient understanding and knowledge base and/or orbital infrastructure, negotiating with them for the rights to emplace in-system satellites (that is, outside of easy reach by jump ship, for instance in asteroid belts or orbiting uninhabited planets)
[2] Since we'd be by some measure use their system, or rather the bait / roadside stop their system may present, the WCDC may grant them an allotment of something like development credit they could cash in when they get a high enough tech level (unlikely in this quest), or introduce non-disruptive technologies that help them climb the tech ladder with less obstructions.
Do we want safety? We build star fleets and fortify our systems, build the FTL detector and slaughter anyone foolish enough to come our way in space.

Do we want to make a better future for the galaxy? That is a tall order but doable in the bounds of diplomacy and trade.

Mass genocide does not a viable strategy make.
Yes, we want safety, but also growth. I propose a looping two-phase approach. It would work like this:
1 – Consolidation inward
Turtling up so every inhabited system has defence stations and mobile forces defending it, then invest heavily in (orbital) industrialising the system until it's at a level where it can maintain the stations and squadrons itself. I'd set the minimum consolidation level at something like ≥3 defence stations (Nadir, Zenith, Orbit), ≥3 squadrons, minimum 10 million inhabitants.
This is already achieved for inner core system of Sol, Beta Hydri, 61 Virginis. Next targets would be Proxima Centauri (Alden is settled, don't know the population) and Epsilon Eridani (Eridu is a garden world and settled, no pop numbers, but I expect them to grow massively) as pre-event settlements of the OG WCDC, following/concurrently with the new (outer core) members Hannover (joined Turn 17/2178 CE, already in the process of industrialisation, might be able to produce squadron of their own by now), Washington (joined Turn 21/2179 CE), and Solidarność (joined Turn 27/2181 CE).​
Every unsettled system may be settled barring systems of WCDC interest (examples: designated staging systems for dealing with hostile polities, buffer systems to problematic polities, scientific/archeological systems, diplomatic treaties, etc)
While we do that, we expend some low key efforts on the 30 ly periphery on the survey of systems, building scientific outposts, constructing military forward bases and observation/listening platforms (where prudent), opening diplomatic channels to peripheral polities, all the while preparing for coming growth phase.
Also, the outlying systems of the most recent Growth Phase get preferential treatment in getting them up to minimum consolidation level so they can do double duty in projecting power inward (against piracy and such) and outward.
2 – Growth outward
Using the data from our low key surveys, we start charm offensives and put on the pressure to local polities. If they're amenable to us, make inroads with the end goal of them joining us. If they're not inclined, let them, and where necessary isolate them. They can keep their settled system(s), but any claims to other systems they will need to be able to actually enforce with diplomacy at least.
At the same time we open the peripheral systems to settlement and economic exploitation by any WCDC member willing. We incentivise that with grants, cheap long term credit, etc., while simultaneously scouring the periphery systems militarily. Any pirate activity is ruthlessly stamped out. An settlement is guaranteed a squadron for protection, regardless of size.
When there is at least 1 settled system every 30 ly, the current growth phase is throttled down and we shift back to consolidating this former periphery (maybe inner periphery?).

These phases would be more like guidelines, of course. For instance with the current fracas and follow-up with Circinus, systems facing that direction would be turtled up first.
Or another case, a strong, but currently D.t.J.[3] polity would be left alone, but we'd keep luring them with our sweet, sweet economy and technology. We wouldn't contest any of their claims to systems facing away from us, but would protest harshly any claim on systems facing us.

[3] Disinclined to Join

with two Sleipnirs remaining in the air to further secure the landing site,
…how? Does the Sleipnir point its torch drive towards the ground and goes "good luck poor sods underneath"? From what I understand the noise and vibrations and alone, would kill or incapacitate anyone in kilometre scale radius, and woe be whoever was actually underneath the drive cone? I mean, it's a space ship that has a fusion torch as its main drive; it can't just hover on the force of its will alone, and I honestly doubt it's got enough aerodynamic lift for it to matter, not at its mass.
Than again, its a periphery world and I'm running with a population of the entire planet of about five million people.
What?
Circinus has a population of 5 million? As the capital to a multi-system periphery polity? I'd have expected much, much more.
Gun shots fell from inside the building and the massive glass windows to a balcony above the entrance doors were opened, and civilians pulled a struggling man along. Someone put a rope around his neck from behind, before several strong men threw him off the balcony.

H.R. McIntyre, the former President of Circinus, never reached the ground.
Not so fun fact: Hanging someone properly is difficult. You have to have the right length of rope; too short and they asphyxiate (the whole struggling while on the rope thing you see in movies), right length and the sudden snap breaks the neck (what you intend to do); but if it's too long, well… there's a word for that: decapitation.

Yes, we want safety, but also growth. I propose a looping two-phase approach. It would work like this:
1 – Consolidation inward
Turtling up so every inhabited system has defence stations and mobile forces defending it, then invest heavily in (orbital) industrialising the system until it's at a level where it can maintain the stations and squadrons itself. I'd set the minimum consolidation level at something like ≥3 defence stations (Nadir, Zenith, Orbit), ≥3 squadrons, minimum 10 million inhabitants.
This is already achieved for inner core system of Sol, Beta Hydri, 61 Virginis. Next targets would be Proxima Centauri (Alden is settled, don't know the population) and Epsilon Eridani (Eridu is a garden world and settled, no pop numbers, but I expect them to grow massively) as pre-event settlements of the OG WCDC, following/concurrently with the new (outer core) members Hannover (joined Turn 17/2178 CE, already in the process of industrialisation, might be able to produce squadron of their own by now), Washington (joined Turn 21/2179 CE), and Solidarność (joined Turn 27/2181 CE).​
Every unsettled system may be settled barring systems of WCDC interest (examples: designated staging systems for dealing with hostile polities, buffer systems to problematic polities, scientific/archeological systems, diplomatic treaties, etc)
While we do that, we expend some low key efforts on the 30 ly periphery on the survey of systems, building scientific outposts, constructing military forward bases and observation/listening platforms (where prudent), opening diplomatic channels to peripheral polities, all the while preparing for coming growth phase.
Also, the outlying systems of the most recent Growth Phase get preferential treatment in getting them up to minimum consolidation level so they can do double duty in projecting power inward (against piracy and such) and outward.
2 – Growth outward
Using the data from our low key surveys, we start charm offensives and put on the pressure to local polities. If they're amenable to us, make inroads with the end goal of them joining us. If they're not inclined, let them, and where necessary isolate them. They can keep their settled system(s), but any claims to other systems they will need to be able to actually enforce with diplomacy at least.
At the same time we open the peripheral systems to settlement and economic exploitation by any WCDC member willing. We incentivise that with grants, cheap long term credit, etc., while simultaneously scouring the periphery systems militarily. Any pirate activity is ruthlessly stamped out. An settlement is guaranteed a squadron for protection, regardless of size.
When there is at least 1 settled system every 30 ly, the current growth phase is throttled down and we shift back to consolidating this former periphery (maybe inner periphery?).

These phases would be more like guidelines, of course. For instance with the current fracas and follow-up with Circinus, systems facing that direction would be turtled up first.
Or another case, a strong, but currently D.t.J.[3] polity would be left alone, but we'd keep luring them with our sweet, sweet economy and technology. We wouldn't contest any of their claims to systems facing away from us, but would protest harshly any claim on systems facing us.
Anything that ensures our safety and prosperity without mass extinction events has my vote.
What?
Circinus has a population of 5 million? As the capital to a multi-system periphery polity? I'd have expected much, much more.

Welcome to the BT periphery home to the desperate, bold and outcasts.

Keep in mind that many of the Periphery planets were founded by a few thousands initial settlers, said settlers being religious nuts, crashlanded ship crews, fleeing mercs and their dependents, initial colony efforts by the inner sphere powers that were abandoned for many reasons, mainly warfare and sabotage and other such small groups.

Most outer periphery worlds are 300-400 years old, generally without access to the medical and tech developements of the inner sphere, many living in Neo feudal Neo barbarity.

That is the reason at all that what ammounts to a short regiment of mechs that are the Black Warriors can maintain control in a dozen systems. The are dirt poor, sparcely populated and in many cases failing terraforming.

Use of non-lethal force, followed by the Regiment's medical personnel setting up a field hospital to treat those injured during the mob suppression, reinforced a positive view of the civilian population towards the 1st WCDC Expeditionary Regiment.
…I worry what would be considered non-lethal 150 years in the future. Especially if it's set to work on something like half a dozen different species, with different pain thresholds and such. Maybe different ordinances? Unless they have 'taters that choose the appropriate ordinance. Tough this would still make dealing with interspecies mobs difficult.
Reward: Better diplomatic relations to the ten known worlds, +5 to diplomatic actions with the ten worlds
That reminds me, Warringer, could you please mark or highlight the WCDC worlds in the google known worlds doc, and maybe add the OG WCDC worlds when you're at it as well?
And since I'm making wishes here, maybe add population numbers to the worlds? Something like 10+ billion for Earth, 2+ billion for 61 Virginis, etc. Unless you want to keep it vague, but the appropriate order of magnitude at least would help. I know we have the numbers for the OG WCDC worlds, but if we had the others and coupled that with their tech level we could make guesses on their industrial level.
There were even dreams of circuits of jump ships exchanging dropships to facilitate relatively quick travel from one side of the Inner Sphere to the other.
Interstellar pony express is a go!
Several systems of the Lyran Commonwealth close to Circinus have been seeded with Surveillance Satellites and can now be used to intercept HPG Radio Backscatter.
Ah wiss, motherfucking surveillance satellites!
As far as the planets closest to the Circinus Federation are concerned, Circinus has been invaded by a pirate band of deep periphery primitives and that the worlds near the border should improve their security to defend against raids.
Ah, right. 'Primitives's I don't know how well known the apparently manipulative and backstabbing nature of Comstar is to the general population (and how much they care), but I wonder if the relevant analysts in the various polities read between the lines here or if they take it at face value.
Several worlds within the border regions between the Circinus Federation, the Lyran Commonwealth and the Free Worlds League have been seeded with surveillance satellites, though they are not yet equipped with Ansible links.
Damnit!
[] Operation Market Garden: active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 65%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 98 - Crit Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 48 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 146/105 (100% success barring critical failure)
[] Operation Mekong Delta: active
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 75 - Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 57 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 132/105 (100% success barring critical failure)
[] Deep Cover Intelligence: active
Time: 10 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 10, Roll 1d100: 93+10 = 103 - Success (Permanent Squadrons)
Roll 2 of 10, Roll 1d100: 62+10 = 73 - Success
Roll 3 of 10, Roll 1d100: 69+10 = 79 - Success
Roll 4 of 10, Roll 1d100: 20+10 = 30 - Failure
Roll 5 of 10, Roll 1d100: 37+10 = 47 - Success
Roll 6 of 10, Roll 1d100: 61+10 = 71 - Success
Roll 7 of 10, Roll 1d100: 31+10 = 41 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 444/400 (100% success barring critical failure)
[] Marian Intelligence: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 33+10 = 43 - Failure
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 4+10 = 14 - Failure
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 15+10 = 25 - Failure
Current points towards overall success: 82/200 (100% fail barring critical failure)
[] Real Time Deep Space Signal Intelligence: active
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 40%
Roll 1 of 5, Roll 1d100: 92 - Success
Roll 2 of 5, Roll 1d100: 5 - Failure
Roll 3 of 5, Roll 1d100: 61 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 158/300 (52.7% chance of overall success)
[] Long Range Diplomacy - Illyrian Palatinate: active
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 6, Roll 1d100: 51 - Success
Roll 2 of 6, Roll 1d100: 20 - Failure
Roll 3 of 6, Roll 1d100: 87 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 158/300 (52.7% chance of overall success)
[] MBT & Battemech Development active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 31 - Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 89 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 120/90 (100% success barring critical failure)
[] Combat Landing Craft: - 4 votes active
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 90 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 90/105 (92.5% overall success chance)
[] Hypercom III: [active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 60+10 = 70 - Success (Research Center Sol)
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 25+10+10 = 45 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 41+10+10 = 61 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 176/120 (100% success barring critical failure)
[] Advanced Dropship Collar: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 55%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 97+10 = 107 - Crit Success (Research Center Sol)
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 37+10+10 = 57 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 55+10+10 = 75 - Success
Current points towards overall success: 239/180 (100% success barring critical failure)
We get to stuff as we can or as we are forced to really. Right now we need to deal with uplifting and integrating what was the Circinus federation. It's colony worlds we will get to I assume once we we got Circinus squared away and once the pirates make themselves a convenient target. Though we do need to spread the word we are claiming those worlds. No one should be able to claim them but never know. They are vulnerable enough anyone could probably take them now.
Do we want to claim them though? I mean, I don't know the history they have with Circinus, if they joined willingly or not, and so on. They might appreciate or resent our decapitation of their federation. Regardless, I would suggest that offering them a leg up for a year or two so they can sort themselves. They might decide to join or not (I hope not, they're relatively distant and close to the Inner Sphere, I'd much rather survey and possibly/hopefully swallow up the current WCDC periphery systems), but that decision would come from them, not be forced upon them because their government was moustache twirling bad guys.
As for patrols we need to be able to get a inside a week response time. The thing with raids unless the pirates use insanely risky Lagrange point, aka pirate points, can take weeks to pull off. A week traveling from jumpship to target world. However long it takes to complete the raid and/or butchering and then a week to return to jumpship to leave. We catch them in transit awesome we can gank them easy. We get there and take their jumpship they can riot on the world but they are otherwise done.
How high/far are jump points from the primary, 1 AU?
That is the reason at all that what ammounts to a short regiment of mechs that are the Black Warriors can maintain control in a dozen systems. The are dirt poor, sparcely populated and in many cases failing terraforming.
Neofeudal yet terraforming. That sounds like schizotech.

Unrelated but fun to play with is this interactive BT map I found, set at 3025: https://www.gruese.de/innersphere/

Forgot to vote…
Turn 32 - Summer 2182/3032
(…)
WCDC Diplomatic Corps:

[] Long Range Diplomacy - Illyrian Palatinate: active (3 turns)
In the wake of the raids of the Marian Hegemony on thge Palatinate, it might be preferrable to open diplomatic contact to the nation and potentially offer some support.
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: Diplomatic Contact with the Illyrian Palatinate

[] Charm Offensive IV:
In the wake of the Black Warrior Attack and the fears that are still around in the nearby systems, it would be a good idea to alley their fear.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 60%, Reward: Better diplomatic relations to the ten known worlds, +5 to diplomatic actions with the ten worlds

[] We need new members:
There are 8 nations in the Three Systems that have declined to become members of the WCDC. The Three Systems can't effort to have some nations working on cross purposes and endanger the entire rest of the Walker Cluster. So there is a need to get them aboard and into the WCDC.
Time: 2 turns, Chance of success: 25%, Reward: 1d6 nations of the 8 nations that declined WCDC membership initially, become WCDC members

[] Invite Others III:
The WCDC was working out nicely and maybe it was time to invite one of the other worlds outside the Three Systems into the WCDC?
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 35%, Reward: The selected world joins the WCDC as a member
Please select a world from the list of Known Habited Worlds neat the Walker Cluster

[] Humanitarian Aid III:
With the formation of the Prometheus Foundation, it would be a shame not to make use of it. As such, it might be advantageous to send out a diplomatic mission to one of the neighboring systems discovered recently, and offer the planet some humanitarian aid. Rumors within the Foundation note they have been able to produce a couple of Planetary Settlement Kits, usually meant to establish new settlements on habitable worlds.
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 50%, Reward: +10 on diplomatic action on targeted world, targeted world is slowly brought up to a Walker Cluster tech level
Please select a world from the list of Known Habited Worlds neat the Walker Cluster

[] Circinus Uplift:
While this is partially an economic situation, helping to uplift the industry and economy of Circinus to be much more independent from other sources is going to help massively in the diplomatic front, improving and possibly speeding up the recovery of the planet from the previous government. It will also hopefully improve future diplomatic relations to any gorvernment that might be able to form during the occupation.
Time: 4 turns, Chance of Success: 60%, Reward: Slow growth of Circinus economy.
(…)
1 Action for:
Diplomacy
[X] Circinus Uplift

And to raise this above a low effort post, let me reiterate my desire to smother them with kindness, hence my vote, but I also want to offer Humanitarian Aid to nearby systems I know that's only in three turns, but still. We know about two dozen worlds outside the WCDC, seven of which are eligible:

Craigh1940sEmbassy, +15 dipl. actionsThe Gaelic look okay, the shoot at pirates with jet planes.
Llyn Ogwen1980sEmbassy, +20 dipl. actionsThese Welsh settled the whole planet and offer good resistance to pirates. They may need help the least, but an offer here may influence them towards us, especially if its orbital defences or cultivation of previously unarable land. They're also in the other direction, away from IS.
Santa Alvarez1960sEmbassy, +15 dipl. actionsSanta Alvarez looks complex, but I'm finer with that than the homogeneity in other worlds.
Farnham's Planetearly industrial levelEmbassy, +15 dipl. actionsTechnically we might want to choose Farnham's planet, since they're on the lowest tech level, which would raise the value of this help, except the two dominating power blocks are in an unstable balance. Whatever we do there might lead to hands in woodchippers.
Pandemoniumearly 1830sEmbassy, +25 dipl. actionsPandemonium (Cockney beduins) are almost guaranteed to be a success with the bonuses there, but they received the previous Humanitarian Aid package, se they're tentatively out as well.
Bernstein1970sEmbassy, +15 dipl. actionsBernstein is theocratic, which is somewhat at odds with science.
AmmannEmbassy, +20 dipl. actionsAmmann was the Amish world, so they'll always be behind on the tech curve. They're no luddites, but very slow to adopt change.
Zaltek16th centuryEmbassy
Rovaniemihunter-gathererEmbassy
Reykjavikbronze age
Woomera1970s + Drop/JumpshipEmbassy
Mafine1940s
Mikhaylovka1930s
Ohakune1970s + Drop/JumpshipEmbassy
Lopbariearly 19th century
Tolhuin1880s
Telluslate 19th century
Malwalate 18th centuryEmbassy
Kafue1950s
Willard's Worldmid 18th century
Whatiiron age

PS: Warringer, could you update the map in the information post with the missing systems?

Last edited:
Warning I am sick and a bit loopy results may vary...
This... well, it confuses me a bit. Beta Hydri is 24ly from Sol, 61 Virginis is 28. Shouldn't the Quetzal have noted the change about 28 years before, followed by the Tiaunt shortishly after? I mean, I just noticed that, so I'm wondering. The Walker Cluster did have HFEG FTL and were in cultural and scientific exchange, right? If they did, I'd expect the local anniversaries to be something of a noted event.
We were apparently brought here by a god like being who says he did not also play with the light while he was flipping 60 lightyear radiuses between universe?
I once again note my confusion. The com buoys are powered by 5GW fusion power (which is in top ten of any power plant globally 2020), yet the jump ship can meet its power demands with solar power? That seems… improbable. If I'm generous, then there'd be about 100 W/m^2 solar irradiance near the HF limit. for parity at really high effectiveness (50%), to meet the low end of 5GW, you'd need to unfold 100 square kilometres (40 square miles) of recharging sails. That seems, well, hard to stow away, if nothing else. But maybe I'm too married to current tech, BT tech is supposed to be a thousand years ahead in some aspects and I honestly don't know the lore of that setting.

You ask a fundamental question people have fought over for decades. The thing with BattleTech is the original developers where not expecting it to ever get this big and were playing with 80s Mad Max tropes in space. A good argument can be made the whole setting needs a hard reboot to even out all the inconsistencies that have creeped in or baked in. Just remember its BATTLECH! Reason need not apply as long as the story is told.
1 – Consolidation inward
2 – Growth outward

This is pretty close to what I want us doing. We need to build up our core and absorb the surrounding close by polities and uplift them and build more colonies to our north and west and just prepare. We cant do shit to the Houses but we can expect trouble eventually so we need to build up to house size ourselves or we will have trouble sooner or later. Don't want to use the outer worlds as ablative shield but we need that anyway because we have no idea what's coming but I expect something truly horrible will upset the apple cart by the 3050s if not sooner and not just the clan invasion.

What?

Remember most periphery colonies are founded and reinforced by people trying to get away from the endless wars and fighting closer in and in this case they are not that big. They had seed population and some scary fighters to loot stuff and kidnap more settlers and most all their daughter colonies are still very small affairs. That and again BATTLETECH! reason and sane world building need not apply.

Do we want to claim them though? I mean, I don't know the history they have with Circinus, if they joined willingly or not, and so on. They might appreciate or resent our decapitation of their federation. Regardless, I would suggest that offering them a leg up for a year or two so they can sort themselves. They might decide to join or not (I hope not, they're relatively distant and close to the Inner Sphere, I'd much rather survey and possibly/hopefully swallow up the current WCDC periphery systems), but that decision would come from them, not be forced upon them because their government was moustache twirling bad guys.
They are surrendering so we need to at least honor that and otherwise they could be useful as a new sources of veteran soldiers to learn from. Presumable they have not committed serious offensives so until noted otherwise we can use them to bolster our forces while we continue to spin up our new armies and navies.
How high/far are jump points from the primary, 1 AU?
Neofeudal yet terraforming. That sounds like schizotech.
BATTLETECH!

@Schreiben Please note that I am doing an Arithmetic Mean for the Multi Turn Rolls, and than go for the overall performance of the rolls.

I've done some population numbers and updated the Information Post. I am going to do an update on the Space Forces soon-ish as well.

Also, based on the feedback earlier, I got a few maps! Including the results of the war, for the most part. Need update do the FedCom Drac border...

Its largely a bad map edit, as I do not have access to a proper image file with the various layers needed to properly work with the colora and bordera and the like...

Also included a little legend about the system and lines for the existing FTL com links.

joM5Ai9.png

8ZU2SYn.jpg

Last edited:
Ah very useful. Those three grey brown nations? We want them. If we don't get them they will probable get gobbled up by marik or someone so they have closer bases to us. They are now valuable real estate if only to get at us. Then we want to add colonies between us and the Lyrans and anything close to the Sphere needs to be hardened as fuck because the IS only real export is crazy and war. Then we want to see about colonies away to the west as hopefully relatively safe zone for growth and expansion. Lets see New ST. Andrew? Oh yes the world with 4 clans that cant stop petty fighting even as raiders burn down their everything around their ears. Need to contact them soon if we have not yet, don't think we have, and see about establishing relations and maybe help them stop fighting or perhaps offer to move whole clans away to new worlds? We have several not using we can share. Erdvynn we need to get around to as a waystation and forward base for the Lyran front. Think its a dead world we can recolonize if rolls stop screwing us.

Oh Hunters Paradise is a fun place wish could send biologists to. It's got predators so badass need mechs to fight them and mech can lose. About only world more nasty iirc would be Hesperus. Despite being settled for centuries and being a major industry world the population has never grown to even a million and beyond the factory complexes the world is so hostile. They stopped sending expeditions to the equator even with mech escorts because they just kept dying. Sulfur base reptile life, that they know of, with absurd thick jungles and atmosphere pressure averaging 3 bars and 80 degrees c.

Oh Hunters Paradise is a fun place wish could send biologists to. It's got predators so badass need mechs to fight them and mech can lose. About only world more nasty iirc would be Hesperus. Despite being settled for centuries and being a major industry world the population has never grown to even a million and beyond the factory complexes the world is so hostile. They stopped sending expeditions to the equator even with mech escorts because they just kept dying. Sulfur base reptile life, that they know of, with absurd thick jungles and atmosphere pressure averaging 3 bars and 80 degrees c.

Heh love how the fannon goes on and on about *No Aliens/Alien life in BT!* despite Hesperus being a thing.

Who's on Hesperus? 'w'

Are they sentient vicious, flesh eating, sulfur breathing, mech rending lizards?

Ah very useful. Those three grey brown nations? We want them. If we don't get them they will probable get gobbled up by marik or someone so they have closer bases to us. They are now valuable real estate if only to get at us. Then we want to add colonies between us and the Lyrans and anything close to the Sphere needs to be hardened as fuck because the IS only real export is crazy and war. Then we want to see about colonies away to the west as hopefully relatively safe zone for growth and expansion. Lets see New ST. Andrew? Oh yes the world with 4 clans that cant stop petty fighting even as raiders burn down their everything around their ears. Need to contact them soon if we have not yet, don't think we have, and see about establishing relations and maybe help them stop fighting or perhaps offer to move whole clans away to new worlds? We have several not using we can share. Erdvynn we need to get around to as a waystation and forward base for the Lyran front. Think its a dead world we can recolonize if rolls stop screwing us.
Those three nations are the Lothian League, the Illyrian Pallatinate and the Marian Hegemony. And they have not been 'gobbled up' in centuries, and even in canon, the League and Palatinate had been invaded by the Marians and taken over. Marik is simply not interested in those dirt poor and primitive periphery worlds.

We cant do shit to the Houses but we can expect trouble eventually so we need to build up to house size ourselves or we will have trouble sooner or later. Don't want to use the outer worlds as ablative shield but we need that anyway because we have no idea what's coming but I expect something truly horrible will upset the apple cart by the 3050s if not sooner and not just the clan invasion.
How big is House size? Like, how many systems can I expect that to mean? And yes, using peripheral system as ablative shields is sensible but morally wrong, hence general turtling. I wouldn't mind limiting our growth anti-spinward to keep it out of the general IS's eyes, if not for the need to industrialise and fortify systems facing a possible danger.
@Schreiben Please note that I am doing an Arithmetic Mean for the Multi Turn Rolls, and than go for the overall performance of the rolls.
Arithmetic mean, I got that. But that also mean that we can succeed at an option overall before all rolls came in, if the initial rolls were high enough. Like, for a three turn option at 60% success rate, any roll (+bonus) of above 40 is a successful roll for that turn. But by the same token we need to have ≥120 for the overall action to succeed. So when the first and second roll add up to 120 or above, then the third roll may fail (when 1d100<40), but overall the option will succeed.
Also, based on the feedback earlier, I got a few maps! Including the results of the war, for the most part. Need update do the FedCom Drac border...
Much praise to that which lurks deep within HF space :)

Looking at the map, let's see…
First of, I'll refer to deep blue as the inner core, middle blue as outer core, and light blue as survey space (to avoid confusion with IS periphery, which we are).
Sheesh, our occupied system is direct neighbours with two major IS powers. I really wanna drop the former Circinus Federation like a hot potato now.
We have limited ansible links to the former CF worlds? I thought the surveillance satellites didn't have that yet? Also, only one connection from us to them? If anything I'd have expected that one to go over FOB pine gap, if necessary with com buoys. Wait, did we have those yet… you we have. So this is a single fault vulnerability we ought to deal with (unless the defence council is on the ball there on its own).
Hm, all outer core worlds (the 'ten worlds' mentioned in the various options, except with the recent new members in the WCDC it's more like seven worlds) have embassies, that's good.

We have 'only' 57% of the survey space surveyed, there might be interesting stuff there, especially if there're 12–50 worlds (10+2d20). Not all will be settled, naturally, but some will, and others might prove to be valuable archeological or scientific sights. I'd like to see some progress there. Furthermore the Initial Survey of the Outer Core took 2+2 turns, while the Further Survey is at 4+4+4=12 turns (at 26%+1%+30% for 57% total). At 65% chances of success, I estimate we need 2–3 further completed actions (8–12 turns) before we've fully surveyed the survey space. We have a +10 bonus, shifting the chance closer to 75%, but dice be fickle yo. Since we already got 9 systems in survey space, there are at least three more, with even odds it's actually 20+ systems. Hm… going a bit meta here, that might translate to another multi-system polity with a tight bundle of systems, with some of the systems being currently outside our survey bubble.
Thinking a bit further on it, if we go with the rather planar approximation of BT wrt to the spherical expansion, then the next bubble (90–120ly) of survey space is double the size (1.8 times) of the 60–90ly bubble. Even with current bonuses that would take us probably 40+ turns, unless each overall successful action would again uncover ca. 25% of the systems, which is... doubtful.
Buuut, before we do that there're the abandoned worlds to consider and explore. Might be bad luck the original settlers are gone, but it also might be space horrors.

Anyway, Woomera and Ohakune are prime candidates to support since they're the (currently) only multi-world polity (ANZAC Union) in 'our space', which is something we should support, I think, especially since we as the WCDC are a buffer for them in regards to IS influence; they should be open to us for that feature alone. Furthermore they only had primitive jump ships and are pretty far from the IS, so we're in a privileged trade position. We might be able to leverage that, especially if we introduce our advanced technology like regular jump ships.

Funny idea: foster cultural exchange between Mikhaylovka and Farnham's Planet, let the three flavours of communism exchange ideas. Though I'd limit them to not FTL communication, if given the option, and encourage deliberation between letters.

I fully expect for Warringer to write them be sentient, regardless of BT lore, if the WCDC ever get that far out. Luckily Hunter's Paradise is about 180 ly coreward from us, so way outside our usual survey space.

Also, I do not share your aim to gobble up the Lythian League or the Illyrian Palatinate. For one, they're rather distant, which means a long logistics train, but not just that. Since they've been alive for centuries, their culture will be very set and influenced by the IS. Since you keep mentioning that the IS' main export is crazy, I'd rather not deal with them before necessary. Bulwark our spin ward systems, yes, grow slowly in that direction, sure, but if you don't mind I'd like to keep a moat of space (and watchtower systems) between them and us.
That doesn't mean we can't get into diplomatic contact, of course, but militarily… please no. We have enough an our plate with the former Circinus Federation, that'll keep us busy for years / 10 rounds, I fear.
Incidentally, I suspect the Marian Hegemony to take up the mantle of immediate threat to us. They're somewhat distant, but they may want to bud into the power vacuum / hunting grounds the CF's collapse has opened up.

PS:
Further thoughts: What's the range of our ansible? Wait… 20 ly, with secondary nodes as repeaters where necessary. So for instance Sol–Beta Hydri has at least 1 secondary node between, the same with 61 Virginis. Hm… Blue lines have often >1 secondary nodes, probably connect to nearby other secondary nodes as well, just for a tighter mesh / redundancy (e.g. the secondary nodes along the Washington–Sol/Hannover/61 Virginis route likely connect to each other as well). The limited bandwidth links tying into the CF probably are probably their max distance only initially, but with a second set laid down w/ <10 ly distant from each other to facilitate redundancy.

Last edited:
... ok was going to try to multi post but it's to complicated now on my phone. Because this website hates my phone and gives it conniptions. Sometimes tonight when finally get home if still got the energy will push out nice fat response.

Much praise to that which lurks deep within HF space :)
No comment on that...
We have limited ansible links to the former CF worlds? I thought the surveillance satellites didn't have that yet? Also, only one connection from us to them? If anything I'd have expected that one to go over FOB pine gap, if necessary with com buoys. Wait, did we have those yet… you we have. So this is a single fault vulnerability we ought to deal with (unless the defence council is on the ball there on its own).
Those were set up in the last turn by the Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network Operations Office. Also that 'single' connection is in fact multiple redundant, with a thernary node every about ten lightyears over a five lightyear Diameter corridor. Just in case a node get destroyed somehow.
Further thoughts: What's the range of our ansible? Wait… 20 ly, with secondary nodes as repeaters where necessary. So for instance Sol–Beta Hydri has at least 1 secondary node between, the same with 61 Virginis. Hm… Blue lines have often >1 secondary nodes, probably connect to nearby other secondary nodes as well, just for a tighter mesh / redundancy (e.g. the secondary nodes along the Washington–Sol/Hannover/61 Virginis route likely connect to each other as well). The limited bandwidth links tying into the CF probably are probably their max distance only initially, but with a second set laid down w/ <10 ly distant from each other to facilitate redundancy.
Well... A large number of systems in the 30ly core zone, and parts of the 'outer core' have secondary nodes in them, connecting to other nodes and the like, creating one big mesh of network nodes all connected to each other. The blue lines are actually the main communication lines, even if some packets from Sol to Bety Hydri might get routed through Hannover.

*Shrug*

Who knows.

They certainly don't like humans mucking about their jungles and oceans and any and all explorer teams are lucky if they manage to come back at all.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hesperus

Well more like the local life looks close enough to reptiles that is what it is caused and no one is quite sure because conditions are so hostile no one has returned from the expeditions. Probable not sapient life in there but it s that damn hostile.
Those three nations are the Lothian League, the Illyrian Pallatinate and the Marian Hegemony. And they have not been 'gobbled up' in centuries, and even in canon, the League and Palatinate had been invaded by the Marians and taken over. Marik is simply not interested in those dirt poor and primitive periphery worlds.
Er you mean Lothian, Illyrians, and Circinus who we are in the process of eating? Marians are farther down outside our immediate sphere and frankly don't give a crap about them. Either we beat them down to deal with their roman wannabe nonsense or the Free Worlds eats or beats on them just because. As for other three the free worlds never cared because there was no value in conquering periphery neobarb's with nothing worth looting especially when they have bigger problems on their other borders but now we are here with our advance and divergent tech and growing state. Suddenly those neobarb worlds are more interesting and relatively soft targets for absorption and with comstar egging them on they will probable want to push up to our border so as to better try to eat us as well. Those minor powers/worlds are getting snatched. Either by us and uplifted or by the Free World League as buffer between us and true league worlds and staging grounds for operations against us down the line.
How big is House size? Like, how many systems can I expect that to mean? And yes, using peripheral system as ablative shields is sensible but morally wrong, hence general turtling. I wouldn't mind limiting our growth anti-spinward to keep it out of the general IS's eyes, if not for the need to industrialise and fortify systems facing a possible danger.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Successor_States

Ok look up at that map and see those huge colored areas? Those are the Great Houses. Each one is like 7 centuries old and ruled, largely, by the same families the entire time. Each is made up of hundreds of star systems with inhabited worlds. Everyone of them is a unique thriving culture, save for the Combine which is so sick and insane it literally only functions because of Developer fait but lets not get into that. And for us the Capellans who after centuries of war finally got demolished. The problem is by the nature of how they were formed they have been fighting each other since forming with all sorts of ugly grudges and nationalistic manifest destiny nonsense. The highlight of peace was when the Cameron dynasty controlling Earth and the Terran Hegemony convinced the other houses to unite behind them in Star League which extoled freedom and brotherhood of man.... and enforced it by launching the single most horrific and bloody war Humanity knew at that point forcible enslaving the periphery houses at the edges of Human space into the League and use them as loot boxes to full their own economies. The houses still fought shadow wars but by and large this was a incredible time of progress and plenty... unless you were in the periphery.

Still times change and new leaders came and went and short sighted greed grew. Then came fucking Stephan Amaris. House Amaris was the only periphery house to join the league with the Amaris family descended from a terran ambassador. They were also bloody tyrants that would make Pol Pot or Mao proud. When the league formed they were quite busy being boxed in their palaces by a popular uprising that was only put down by SLDF troops, Star League Defense Force, like nine years into the Reunification war. They were rather pissed about that and quietly swore vengeance. Not that the SLDF was not rather busy. Back then the periphery houses were nearing great house status themselves and the Taurians functionally were. The SLDF had to spend twenty years alone committing every atrocity known to man and then some breaking them... But I digress. Stephan Amaris was able to get close and become chief advisor and "uncle" to young Richard Cameron after his father was killed in a total accident totally not a assassination and the House Lords name the SLDF General Kerensky to be his regent knowing the man was to busy running about putting out fires and other problems to do a proper job. When Richard came of age Stephan roused the other periphery house to rebel to pull the SLDF out to the frontier then helpfully offered his troops to Richard to cover the core. At the right moment Amaris murdered Richard and then the entire Cameron Dynasty himself while his troops launched a coup to seize the Hegemony. After a totally "fair" election he was crowned Director General of said Hegemony and then declared to the whole Inner Sphere the birth of the Amaris Empire and called upon his subject Lords to declare fealty and General Kerensky to become his right hand man.

Kerensky said "No."

The House Lords ignored the usurper and began preparing while the SLDF hastily concluded actions on the rim to return to the Hegemony and began the long grind against its defenses. This was a unspeakable campaign were Amaris and his troops committed ever atrocity they could to buy time and when defeated slaughter entire worlds with nukes and poisons to deny them to Krensky but in the end Amaris died and the House lords reconvened to decided what was next. First the stripped Kerensky of his position out of fear of what he could do and their second was to elect Jerome Blake to lead the Star League communication burau because interstellar comms was to important to ignore, This became comstar a nominally neutral humanitarian body totally not evil illuminati, and then three was to deadlock on who was to replace the Cameron dynasty and First Lord of Star League. The Houses began maneuvering for the war to come and a exhausted and bitter Kerensky knowing the SLDF was to weak at this point to fight the houses and the Hegemony to shattered to be a base for operations took 80% of the SLDF into exile beyond the rim before the houses could lure more away to their sides so at least these soldiers and weapons would not be used in the war to come.

And then the Succession wars began with House Kurita declaring themselves First Lord with the others fast following leading to a holocaust were 5 Houses to blinded by greed to realize none could win a dead throne hammered the literal hell out of each other till exhaustion then after a short rest did it again and then again. The damage was so bad Humanity total population dropped by at least half and many worlds were lost and so much tech was lost, with help from comstar, they could barely build jumpships or new weapons with many remaining factories blackboxed affair run by master/apprentices who barely understood what they were doing. Even the periphery was not spared because the league had them dependent on imports for critical infrastructure, like water plants and fusion reactors, that was no longer coming and in many cases the houses raided them for supplies to continue the fighting.

After the third inconclusive war the Lyran leader of the time Katrina tried peace negotations to end the pointless fighting but only the Davions were interested but from this came a new alliance with the two house trying to combine to spectacular success. For us that means the Capellans are dead and the Combine might be on its way out to. Though will be at least one more war but with it's heir Theodore dead who canonically saved them in the next war they are probable fucked. Functionally the Star League is reborn... and only thing protecting us is fact its leaders are by and large decent people, this generation, and to busy eating the other Houses to notice us or care about us yet and they will have plenty to keep them occupied. Next generation if thing stay mostly on rails at least one of the heirs will be batshit insane and cunning enough to seize power and become a major problem. Right now we are relatively save because no house can afford the power projection to break us but as the Federated Commonwealth grows and our tech leaks that will change so we need to grow and fortify and tech up fast. To say nothing of the clans who descend from the SLDF as degenerate techno barbarians and what ever the threat we keep getting hints of...

Here have two links to BattleTech wiki and a great 2 part primer video. Bring snacks and drinks the first part by itself is a hour long.
https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Amaris_Civil_War https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Succession_Wars_(disambiguation) Amaris civil war youtube
I fully expect for Warringer to write them be sentient, regardless of BT lore, if the WCDC ever get that far out. Luckily Hunter's Paradise is about 180 ly coreward from us, so way outside our usual survey space.
I rather doubt it but who knows maybe the god thing that moved us here did something and there is a threat yet unseen that might be there for all we know.
Also, I do not share your aim to gobble up the Lythian League or the Illyrian Palatinate. For one, they're rather distant, which means a long logistics train, but not just that. Since they've been alive for centuries, their culture will be very set and influenced by the IS. Since you keep mentioning that the IS' main export is crazy, I'd rather not deal with them before necessary. Bulwark our spin ward systems, yes, grow slowly in that direction, sure, but if you don't mind I'd like to keep a moat of space (and watchtower systems) between them and us.
That doesn't mean we can't get into diplomatic contact, of course, but militarily… please no. We have enough an our plate with the former Circinus Federation, that'll keep us busy for years / 10 rounds, I fear.
Incidentally, I suspect the Marian Hegemony to take up the mantle of immediate threat to us. They're somewhat distant, but they may want to bud into the power vacuum / hunting grounds the CF's collapse has opened up.
Let me rephrase. I don't want to gobble them up. I want to absorb them. Circinus we are eating militarily because they are a pirate state that will continue being a problem till dealt with but the others are tiny nation states that can become full members of the WCDC and be great contributors once uplifted. As for Marians? HAHAHA no. They are jumped up pirates who struck it rich on a germanium find, critical resources to build jumpdrives, and are slowly building up to something. We can crush them practically at will if it came down to it.

Turn 32 - Summer 2182/3032 - Results
Turn 32 - Summer 2182/3032

WCDC Defense Council:

[] Operation Market Garden: active
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 98 - Crit Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 48 - Success
Roll 3 of 3, Roll 1d100: 82 - Success
Combined: 76 - Success

Over the course of summer, most unrest could be put down, largely with the help of non-lethal weapons, with the informants and ring leaders put into custody to await the trail by the interim military government of Circinus. To help this, a military tribunal was formed of various legal officers to ensure due progress for the resulting criminal suits.

The 2nd WCDC Expeditionary Regiment arrived in mid Summer, together with the replacement of men and material lost during the invasion of Circinus, reinforcing the troops. This allowed the military government to put some troops into other settlements, with the general order being to support the local civilian population wherever possible in a 'Hearts and Minds' operation to create good will and an attempt not to be regarded as an occupation force.

Additionally, civilian personnel arrived in the same convoy, largely bureaucrats and other governmental workers, to help and bring the local Circinus government up to a more democratic standard, in an attempt to build a better nation, one that could be released into 'the wild' and possible become a WCDC member.

However, the possible creation of a Pirate Haven in a nearby system was considered a problem, and General Tiast Kerod Ildunt requested the permission to deal with it.

In late Summer, a jump ship, arrived in Circinus, carrying Cranston Snord's Irregulars. Since they had been in the general area, they had been asked to investigate the Circinus situation and the supposed 'invasion of periphery primitives'. Snord himself was not with the Irregulars, as he, and Wolf, were on the way to Tharkad to report on the WCDC to the Archon.

Snord's daughter Ronda was in command of the operation and surprised about the relative ease the WCDC had when invading the world, noting most people hated pirates and would be coming around to the WCDC, if they reduced the number of pirates, contrary to the information Comstar was spreading at the moment.

Reward: Destruction of the Mercenary/pirate Forces at Circinus, Comstar overplaying the invasion, additional contact ti Snord's Irregulars

[] Operation Mekong Delta: active
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 75 - Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 57 - Success
Roll 3 of 3, Roll 1d100: 44 - Success
Combined: 59 - Success

Diplomatically, the Patrol Routes were a boon for the WCDC, with all patrolled worlds willing to support the patrols by supplying the crews of the patrol squadrons with food and other supplies, as well as limited opportunities for R&R.

On the military end of Operation Mekong Delta, the WCDC military formed ten Patrol Squadrons and assigned them fixed routes, though the commanders were open to choose how rapidly they would take those routes over a deployment time of six months before the crews were to get a longer vacation.

By the end of summer, the ten squadrons began their operation, though it was noted extending an ansible network with surveillance satellites at least in the 60 ly zone would allow for an accelerated quicker response time.

Reward: Permanent Patrol Routes through the 60ly Zone and part of the 90ly zone, 25% chance of a pirat attack being intercepeted by a patrol, +5 on diplomacy for the worlds in the 60 and 90ly areas

WCDC Survey Office:

[] Deep Cover Intelligence: active
Time: 10 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 10, Roll 1d100: 93+10 = 103 - Success (Permanent Squadrons)
Roll 2 of 10, Roll 1d100: 62+10 = 73 - Success
Roll 3 of 10, Roll 1d100: 69+10 = 79 - Success
Roll 4 of 10, Roll 1d100: 20+10 = 30 - Failure
Roll 5 of 10, Roll 1d100: 37+10 = 47 - Success
Roll 6 of 10, Roll 1d100: 61+10 = 71 - Success
Roll 7 of 10, Roll 1d100: 31+10 = 41 - Success
Roll 8 of 10, Roll 1d100: 21+10 = 31 - Failure

For the second time on the trip, the A Ship With A View had a jump drive casualty, during which the jumpship was stranded in the Gienah system, close to the border of the Lyran Commonwealth to the Free Worlds League. Again, the work on the casualty needed several weeks, during which the dropships landed on Gienah, where they were able to purchase several examples of Inner Sphere combat vehicles from the local Gienah Automotive.

active for 2 more turns

[] Marian Intelligence: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 33+10 = 43 - Failure
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 4+10 = 14 - Failure
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 15+10 = 25 - Failure
Roll 4 of 4, Roll 1d100: 86+10 = 96 - Success
Combined: 44 - Failure

Finally, after the successful invasion of Circinus, the eye of the Survey Office can turn towards the Marian Hegemony, and even make some headway with the governmental structure and possible military assets, but the lack of any success in the previous quarters makes the project in its current form a failure.

There is little in actual intelligence that could be gained, thanks to the pre-occupation with Circinus, and so the Marians remain a potential future problem.

Result: Marian Intelligence is a failure for the time being and cannot be attempted or 2 more turns

Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network

[] Real Time Deep Space Signal Intelligence: active
Time: 5 turns, Chance of success: 40%
Roll 1 of 5, Roll 1d100: 92 - Success
Roll 2 of 5, Roll 1d100: 5 - Failure
Roll 3 of 5, Roll 1d100: 61 - Success
Roll 4 of 5, Roll 1d100: 89 - Success

Slowly the real time communication links of the DSSIN were extended outside for the Circinus Federation and into the Lothan League and the Illyrian Palatinate, while an additional redundant communication link was placed from FOB Pine Gap over Ammann to Espilon Eridani, where it connected directly back into the main Ansible Network.

The government of Amann was asked for permission to emplace a network node, just like previously the government of Craigh had been asked during the initial stages of Operation Market Garden.

active for 1 more turn

WCDC Diplomatic Corps:

[] Long Range Diplomacy - Illyrian Palatinate: active
Time: 6 turns, Chance of success: 50%
Roll 1 of 6, Roll 1d100: 51 - Success
Roll 2 of 6, Roll 1d100: 20 - Failure
Roll 3 of 6, Roll 1d100: 87 - Success
Roll 4 of 6, Roll 1d100: 77 - Success

Even in the aftermath of the successful invasion of Circinus, the diplomatic contact with the Illyrian Palatinate remained on the high status it had been during its initial stages.

There are some talks about supporting the education sector of Illyria as well as offering some mining knowledge, considering that the worlds of the Palatinate are heavily dependent of mining and selling of ores. During the talks it is mentioned the WCDC could offer some advanced technologies to refine and separate the ores without needing to build furnaces, providing the Palatinate with a way to relatively easily create high quality metals and even alloys.

active for 2 more turns

[] Circinus Uplift: - 5 votes
Time: 4 turns, Chance of Success: 60%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 80 - Success

While Operation Market Garden was still on going, the status of the world itself was a cause for some deliberation in the diplomatic community. With orders from General Tiast Kerod Ildunt to do 'Hearts and Minds' work to his soldiers, it was decided that humanitarian aid to the world to uplift it technologically and hopefully sociologically, would go a long way to get on the positive side of the planetary population.

To this end, the Prometheus Foundation was asked to provide their expertise to help with the uplift program, while diplomats and governmental workers and advisors were sent to Circinus to begin the work to set up a working governmental structure to replace the former more dictatorial government.

active for 3 more turns[/i]

WCDC Trade Organization:

[] MBT & Battemech Development active
Time: 3 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 31 - Success
Roll 2 of 3, Roll 1d100: 89 - Success
Roll 3 of 3, Roll 1d100: 31 - Success
Combined: 50 - Success

The final designs were entered into the design contest and several prototypes tested over about two weeks, following the official end of the RFP phase.

It was a hard contest, with the final selection being judged largely on the quality of the vehicles in question, as well as the ability to be used by the other species of the WCDC, as they were very close in performance.

The new standard tank would be the Krauss-Maffei Wegmann Karakal II Main Battle Tank, which won out over the Oshkosh M5 and the Norinco Type 122. This MBT had been primarily designed to be fast on and off-road, even with a mass of 70 tonnes it could move with a speed of up to 100 km/h off-road in suitable terrain, with the targeting systems able to act at such a speed and fire at a target. Equipped with a remote controlled turret, the base model was equipped with a 125 mm Helical Rail Gun, a Hex Cell Reloadable Missile Launcher, a 5MW Laser AMS and a more conventional .50cal Gauss Gun. Variants could be equipped with a 100MW Pulse Laser, a 75GeV Wakefield Particle Beam Projector, or a heavy missile battery. Protected by 16.5 tonnes of Advanced Composite Arnor, it was hoped the loss rate, compared to combat on Circinus, would be reduced.

The first natively designed and built Battlemech, however, was the original Fusilier, as designed by the Design Team, of the failed BattleMech Program. Designed to be a medium-sized support Battlemech, the M1 Fusiliers' design differed from Inner Sphere Mechs, largely on account of the deeper knowledge of adaptive motive algorithms, which eliminated the need for an oversized gyroscope as well as neural helmets. Additionally, the cockpit was designed to be comparable to attack helicopters to house a pilot and a commander, with the pilot responsible for control, while the commander dealt with the mech's weapons and the command of the vehicle. Massing 55 tonnes, it would support the Karakal II with its 75 mm Helical Raingun, two Hex Cell Reloadable Missile Launcher, a 5MW Laser AMS mounted in the machine's arms, while a 20MW Laser and two conventional .50cal Gauss Gun was mounted in a chin turret mounted beneath the helicopter like, heavily armored cockpit.

It was hoped these weapon systems would provide the firepower needed to fight longer campaigns against possible Inner Sphere aggressors.

Reward: New MBT & Battlemech designs, +5 to ground combat

[] Combat Landing Craft: active
Roll 1 of 3, Roll 1d100: 90 - Success
Roll 3 of 3, Roll 1d100: 53 - Success

Many of the designs for the Combat Landing Craft that came in, based on the RFP, were not designed to take the marginal comfort of the troops to be transported into account. As such, only a few of the designs were actually taken into further consideration over the initial phase of the design contest, though the Military did allow the designers of the other space craft to update their designs to be more comfortable.

The RFP did not seek luxury liner levels of comfort, but more a level that up to a thousand people could remain in close proximity over several months during transit.

active for 1 more eturns

WCDC Office for Science and Development:

[] Hypercom III: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 70%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 60+10 = 70 - Success (Research Center Sol)
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 25+10+10 = 45 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 41+10+10 = 61 - Success
Roll 4 of 4, Roll 1d100: 21-10+10 = 41 - Success
Combined: 54 - Success
Com System: HPG - even, Black Box - odd, Roll 1d6: 2 - HPG

Continued work on the HPG lead to the security problems to be solved to the general satisfaction to the researchers, the Military and the Surveillance Office, while the Hyperwave Communication System needed a lot more work on the security front.

As the project slowly wound down, the researchers had developed an Enhanced Range Secure HPG, capable of transmitting over a distance of up to 75 lightyears, with measures in place to reduce the HPG Radio Backscatter as much as possible. This had been solved largely by almost eliminating the capacity of univertantly creating an EMP like effect at the target point of the HPG, as the conventional version was capable of doing. Additional quantum based encryption shemes for the transmission further reduced the likelyhood of the weak Backscatter being useful for someone listening. And while making use of the Ansible Packet Protocol APP will make the ERSHPG incompatible with the conventional Comstar HPG network, this was seen as worthwile.

Reward: Enhanced Range (75ly) Secure HPG developed and ready to be implemented

[] Advanced Dropship Collar: active
Time: 4 turns, Chance of success: 55%
Roll 1 of 4, Roll 1d100: 97+10 = 107 - Crit Success (Research Center Sol)
Roll 2 of 4, Roll 1d100: 37+10+10 = 57 - Success (Research Center Sol, Interstellar Communication Network)
Roll 3 of 4, Roll 1d100: 55+10+10 = 75 - Success
Roll 4 of 4, Roll 1d100: 52+10+10 = 72 - Success
Combined: 78 - Success

The final Advanced Dropship Collar was considered a logical development from the conventional one that was in use over centuries within the Inner Sphere, by the researchers responsible to design it and even test it, using the Size Isn't Everything Experimental Jump Ship as test platform, and both a Sleipnir and a Leopard Dropship as vehicles to test the carrying capacity.

Weighting only 500 tonnes, compared to the original's 1000 tonnes, one advanced dropship collar could be added to a jump capable spacecraft for every 20000 tonnes of vehicle mass, which was believed to be the lowest that could be achieved without completely redesigning the basics of the Dropship Collar and forgoing downwards compatibility.

For the development of new jump capable ships this meant that to carry an entire squadron of conventional combat space craft, a jump ship would have to mass at least 400000 tonnes.

Merely for the intellectual challenge, the research team responsible for the development, had designed a plan to possibly equip SLS Belisarius with twenty Advanced Docking Collars, space so it could carry a full squadron of Drashy, as the need would arise.

Reward: Advanced Dropship Collar

Deep Space Signal Intelligence Network Report:

Lothian League:

Following the previous offer to connect the entire Lothian League into the Caldran Ansible Network, even through a low bandwidth channel, is taken up by Grand Mistress Logan. While there would be a central communication link into the Network per planet out of necessity, the Ansible installation is largely an automated one, and faults are directly transmitted to the Network Operations Center in Beta Hydri and in most cases can be dealt with by remote access.

This is a far cry from Comstar, who would demand a substantial compound and installation for an HPG, followed by apparent proselytizing about 'Saint Blake', and additionally a real time link to the other worlds, allowing Grand Mistress Logan and her cabinet to be much better informed about the other worlds and deal with problems as they appear, though it is believed it's largely to allow the various mercenary groups in the employ of the Lothan League to deal with pirate attacks.

On a sidenote, this allows us to officially set up a real time surveillance link into the Lothian systems.

Illyrian Palatinate:

There is little of note to say, aside from the setup of a small Ansible network for real time surveillance.

Circinus Federation:

By now, at least one pirate band has arrived at Clayborne II and landed on the planet and apparently terrorize the small population.

Marian Hegemony:

Preparations are nade to set up a real time Ansible link towards the Marian Hegemony to tie the surveillance satellites into the Ansible Network.

Inner Sphere:

Lyran Commonwealth:

Preparations are made to set up Ansible Links to the surveillancce satellites in the obrder regions of the Lyran Commonwealth. Outside of this, not much out of the ordinary is happening.

Federated Suns:

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as can be decerned.

Draconis Combine:

Nothing out of the ordinary as far as can be decerned.

Free Worlds League:

Preparations are made to set up Ansible Links to the surveillance satellites in the border regions of the Free Worlds League.

There are reports of probing raids into the Dutchy of Andurien, against Shiro III, Ryerson and several of the former Capelland systems of Pella II, Jasmine and Campertown.

Dutchy of Andurien:

Following the probing raids, it appears that the Dutchy of Andurien is having talks with Candance Liao, the Dutchess of St. Ives, and by extension with the Federated Suns. As there is little in the way of knowledge concerning the deeper political situation of the Inner Sphere at the moment, it is unknown whether this would lead to a request for support against the Free Worlds League, or not.

Either way, there appear several medium sized mercenary companies that have taken up contracts with the Dutchy of Andurien to improve the defense, after being let go of by the Federated Suns.

Comstar:

Comstar appears to step up its propaganda in the border worlds concerning the 'periphery primitives' that have invaded Circinus, persisting in trying to entice panic and rash reactions, as seen with the appearance of Snord's Irregulars over Circinus, something that was fostered by Comstar, it appears.

Expansion and Suggestions:

There appear to be several smaller single system polities in the operational area that should be put under surveillance, New St. Andrews and Niops.

Random Event - Nothing happens

Karakal II MBT and Fusilier Medium Mech
Karakal II Main Battle Tank

AvWshFk.jpg

Code:
Mass: 70 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: 240 rated Fusion + Superconducting Batteries
Cruising Speed: 97.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 129.6 kph
Armor: Advanced Composite Armor
Armament:
     1 125mm Helical Rail Gun
     1 Hex Missile Launcher
     1 5MW Laser AMS
     1 .50cal Gauss Gun
Manufacturer: Krauss-Maffei Wegmann, Licenses
     Primary Factory:   Munich, Sol
     Secondary Factory: Varies
Communication System: Spread Spectrum Radio Communication
                      Mesh Networking capabilities
Targeting & Tracking System: Combat Information System
                             Recon Drone
                             Smart Dust
Introduction Year: 30XX
Cost: 8.5 mio €

Type: Karakal II
Technology Base: Walker Cluster Mixed
Movement Type: Tracked
Tonnage: 70
Battle Value: 1,062

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                   12
Engine          240 rated Fusion
                Superconducting Batteries            12
	Cruising MP: 9
	Flank MP: 12
Advanced Heatsink:             10                     0
Control Equipment:                                  4.0
Power Amplifier:                                    0.0
Turret:                                             1.5
Armor Factor (Ferro)          295                  16.5

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Front                   8         71    
     R/L Side               8/8      59/59   
     Rear                    8         47    
     Turret                  8         59    

Weapons
and Ammo                         Location    Tonnage
Recon Drone Launcher               Rear        0.25
Smart Dust Disperser               Rear        0.2
5MW Laser AMS                     Turret       1.0     
Hex Missile Launcher              Turret       3.5     
125mm Helical Rail Gun            Turret      10.0     
.50cal Gauss Gun                  Turret       1.0     
125mm Helical Rail Gun Ammo (100)  Body        1.5     
.50cal Gauss Gun Ammo (2000)       Body        2.0     
Hex Missile Ammo (60)              Body        4.0
Recon Drone (10)                   Body        0.25
Smart Dust                         Body        0.3

Lore:

The Krauss-Maffei Wegman Karakal II Main Battle Tank is the result of the Advanced Main Battle Tank Project of the WCDC.

It is a further development of the Karakal Main Battle Tank used by the German Bundeswehr and several other European, African and Asian militaries.

Powered by a 240 equivalent Fusion reactor and superconducting batteries, the Karacal II is the first Main Battle Tank using the MIL-STD-102343-B Standartized Ground Weapon System Interfaces. In Standard, it comes equipped with a turret mounted 125 mm Helical Rail Gun, a Hex Missile Launcher, a 5MW Laser AMS that can also be employed against ground targets and a conventional .50 cal Gauss Gun. The vehicle is equipped with a Spread Spectrum Communication System and a Conbat Information System that allowed to tank to create a battle field Mesh network with other units, be they tank, light vehicles or infantry and can deploy both recon drones and Smart Dust.

The Karakal II was designed to be viable on a battlefield ruled by Battlemechs and to outmaneuver and outrun a 'Mech, with the ammunition of its main gun designed to penetrate Inner Sphere Standart Armor. However, any of the main weapon systems can be replaced within a short time, due to the remote controlled turret. As such, the 125mm Helical Rail Gun can be replaced by a 100MW Pulse Laser, a 75GeV Wakefield Particle Beam Projector, or a heavy missile battery.

Krauss-Maffei Wegmann has licensed out the production of the Karakal II to various other companies within the WCDC, allowing the WCDC to equip its armed forced with the Karakal II Main Battle Tank within a relatively short time frame.

M1 Fusilier

MWO_Bushwacker.png

Code:
Mass: 55 tons
Chassis: Standard Biped
Power Plant: 240 rated Fusion + Superconducting Batteries
Cruising Speed: 75.6 kph
Maximum Speed: 97.2 kph
Jump Jets: None
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Advanced Composite Armor
Armament:
     2 .50cal Gauss Gun
     2 Hex Missile Launcher
     1 5MW Laser AMS
     1 20MW Laser
     1 75mm Helical Rail Gun
Manufacturer: Varies
     Primary Factory: Varies
Communication System: Spread Spectrum Radio Communication
                      Mesh Networking capabilities
Targeting & Tracking System: Combat Information System
                             Recon Drone
                             Smart Dust
Introduction Year: 30XX
Cost: 5.5 mio US$

Type: Fusilier
Technology Base: Walker Cluster Mixed
Tonnage: 51
Battle Value: 1,223

Equipment                                          Mass
Internal Structure                                  6.5
Engine      240 rated Fusion
            Superconducting Batteries                 8
	Walking MP: 7
	Running MP: 9
	Jumping MP: 0
Advanced Heatsink             12 [22]                 1
Cockpit                                               3
Armor Factor (Ferro)          204                    12

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    3         9     
     Center Torso            18        36    
     Center Torso (rear)               12    
     R/L Torso               13        27    
     R/L Torso (rear)                  6     
     R/L Arm                 9         13    
     R/L Leg                 13        27    

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper Arm, Lower Arm, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo                         Location  Critical   Heat    Tonnage
Recon Drone Launcher               Head       -         -       0.25
Smart Dust Disperser               Head       -         -       0.2
20MW Laser                          CT        2        12       4.0
5MW Laser AMS                       CT        1         1       1.0
Recon Drone (10)                    CT        -         -       0.25
Smart Dust                          CT        -         -       0.3
.50cal Gauss Gun Ammo (1000)        RT        1         -       1.0
.50cal Gauss Gun                    RT        1         0       0.5   
CASE                                RT        1         -       0.5   
75mm Helical Rail Gun Ammo (200)    RT        1         -       1.0   
Hex Missile Launcher Ammo (60)      LT        1         -       4.0   
.50cal Gauss Gun                    LT        1         0       0.5   
CASE                                LT        1         -       0.5   
Hex Missile Launcher                LT        1         2       3.5
75mm Helical Rail Gun               RA        7         3      10.0  

Lore:

The Fusilier Battlemech is the only Battlemech design that survived the failure of the Original Battlemech Project Group into the Advanced Combat Vehicle Design Project. It was further developed into a capable weapons platform using the new MIL-STD-102343-B Standartized Ground Weapon System Interfaces.

It was designed with advanced neural adaptive motion algorithms, eliminating the need for a gyro, as well as the Neural Helmet. This in turn allowed to a crew of two, one commander and one pilot, into the 'Mechs cockpit, which is reminiscent of combat helicopters. The commander responsible for using the 'Mechs weapon systems, while the pilot controlled the movement.

This control scheme makes it mostly unusable to an Inner Sphere 'Mech pilot without extensive retraining.

Like any other Combat vehicles, it is equipped with a Spread Spectrum Communication System and a Combat Information System that allowed to create a battle field Mesh network with other units, be they tank, light vehicles or infantry, and can deploy both recon drones and Smart Dust.

The Fusilier Battemech is designed to be a capable Weapon System Carrier to provide fire support and counter some Battemechs of the Inner Sphere nations, should the need arise.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom