What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guardians of Balance [Pokemon Mystery Dungeon]

Index and Prologue

StolenMadWolf

Author
Disclaimer: I do not own any of the properties that will be mentioned or explored in this story. They are all owned by individuals with alot more clout then I do. I do not make, nor intend to make any money off this story. It is a fanfic that is for fun and to get myself out there, and not for profit. That is all on the matter.

Note from the Author: Right, since this is my first second time writing a fanfic, feel free to go ahead and rip parts of this to shreds. It is mainly out here for fun. After all, I need something to keep my sanity up. This fanfic will be avaliable on Spacebattles, Sufficent Velocity and Frozen in Carbonate, thought I might expand it to other sites, such as the main fanfic site at a later date. As for when I can get posts up, I don't know myself, but I will aim to get updates within around 1-4 days if I can. Do note that I am actively employed, I run a large RP and I am currently working on and awaiting responses for my first novel and have started work on a short story, so I can't guarentee rapid replies. Please don't prod me, I will get round to it!

Also, as a warning. This series will get dark at times. Sure there are a few laughs and heartwarming moments, but it is a dark setting compared to regular PMD. There will be curses and possible gore in here, although I will be always keep this SFW. Either way, you have been warned.

Now, without further ado...

Just a space for chapters when no one wants to bother with threadmarks:

Guardians of Balance
Prologue
Chapter 1 - Waking Up

For now, enjoy a short prologue to get you excited.

PROLOGUE
And so… it begins.

Come with me, if you will 'Observer'. For you are about to enter a new world. One of many. It's a peaceful world, where individuals of many different species come together… to work together… for the betterment of all.

Now… I imagine… we should start with a quick personality quiz?

Something chuckles in the darkness…

I'm joking.

That something now sighed…

I shouldn't in truth. It's not that simple. This world has often teetered so close the edge so many times that… it's inhabitants have changed somewhat. They aren't as kind or as noble as they had been decades ago. Of course, some do hold onto those ideals. Try and help people or make new discoveries… but it is not an easy path. Even before the calamities it has been like this but now… it's been slowly made even worse. Every time this world comes closer together, it breaks apart just as quickly. There has been too much strain… and pain that it's inhabitants have suffered.

Would you be surprised that these inhabitants were Pokémon?

Do not forget, these are living beings. And they are not the Pokémon you may remember.

Or perhaps you do remember? The way
they arrive has always been shrouded in some kind of mystery until the end and even when the answers are revealed… it's never been entirely consistent.

Something brings
you here. Are you here by choice? Or are you lost on this world?

Hmm… until you find that answer. Please, come with me. Follow my voice. You may sense me only as a presence, at the corner of your spirit… but in truth I'm not actually with you. I am elsewhere in this world, working at unravelling at truth that has evaded me for so long.

But I will watch you all from a distance. To the best of my ability. I can promise you that.

Don't be afraid. None of you alone.

…I see… you can sense their arrival. Another one… I figured the world was reaching another period of danger… I cannot make certain of who they are or what they may become… or even what they are here
for. However, this cannot be a coincidence.

We will have to find that confirmation at another time. Stay close to them. But don't get too close… you don't want them to lose their mind.

Trust me… I know…

And who knows? Maybe there will be more to this world... and beyond... that meets the eye...

Last edited:
Chapter I - Waking Up
POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON
GUARDIANS OF BALANCE

ALWAYS AUDACITY
CHAPTER I - WAKE UP

Initially, he could only see darkness. It was all he knew. Just this inescapable, unknowable blackness.

Then, slowly, little by little, the light began to appear before him. Constantly shifting and evolving, flowing almost like water. The reds shifted into oranges, then yellows and so forth. His mind wandered, wondering what he had to have had in order go get such a vision. Something in the water maybe, he imagined. Then again, his body didn't feel sore.

Wait… I've just woken up… how do I know what water and a body feels like? Wait… yeah, of course I know what a body is… I should have one!

No, scratch that, this was worse… he couldn't feel his body at all. Legs, limbs, head… and yet… he still had senses… at least partially anyway. He could see these colours, obviously. And he could hear a faint hum that almost sounded oddly… rhythmic.

Okay… is this… some kind of dodgy dream?

Even without his body, he could sense himself moving… somehow… forwards. No… he was being pulled onwards. It was strange, he couldn't move… if he even had a body at this point. Maybe he was just dreaming. But… where was he sleeping? In a house? Had to be. He tried to imagine having an actual arm… and yet… nothing happened.

The colours wavered before him, and a very faint star seemed to blink into view before him. Growing that little bit brighter… that bit bigger.

Am… maybe this is me waking up… it's certainly a weird way of doing it.

And with that, the star began to blink. Hang on… what's this…

"Hello?"
came a quiet voice, "Can… can you hear me?".

He felt a strange warmth run through him… compelling him to move further on… H-Hi? I can… what's going on? Is this some dodgy dream or something?

There was a moment of silence, the light star ceasing to blink for a moment, before it started again… "You can? Great! Listen… I don't have much time…"

The voice wavered for a moment… and with that… he began to feel drowsy… the lights seeming to dim before him. "Oh no… listen to me! You need to save…"

What? I… I can't hear you… I'm…
His thoughts began to blur together, the lights now fading away, the hum ceasing… the star the only thing left he could even see. "Please! All of this… it needs saving…

Save… save what…
He could sense himself slipping away. I… can't…

"You need t-"

The light faded away… and he slowly… so did he…

"Sam!!-"

*****​

He moaned as he slowly come to, feeling his body ache in protest. He immediately snapped his eyes open, only to cry out as the light flashed onto his retinas. Nearly blinded, he squeezed them tight again. Was he under attack? No… he could feel the warmth soak through his skin.

The Sun? Yeah, has to be… just like… wait...

When did I last feel sunlight?

Hang on… did he even know his name?

"Sam!!-"

He shivered… that voice… they had called him…

Sam?

The memory rushed through him… and with that it clicked. Sam… my name is Sam! Damn, glad I remember that at least!

Sam opened his eyes again, much more carefully this time. Thankfully, instead of being blinded, he slowly gained a blurry view of the world... he could just make out trees around him and blue skies above him. His other senses started to emerge. He felt himself curled up on his side, smell the fresh grass he was on... and hear the sound of leaves rustling peacefully in the wind and the light trickle of flowing water.

Water.

At that point, Sam felt his throat itch sharply, forcing him to take a sudden breath in surprise.

Damn... he was thirsty! How long had he been out?

If he had even been out at all?

His arms even more blurred than the trees around him, he slowly pushed himself up to his hands and knees. His eyes flickered around and settled on the familiar shape of a pool of water. Vision be damned, he could at least tell that.

Grunting, he crawled over to the pool and, without delay, scooped up some of the water in his hands and gulped it down, feeling the cool water that spilled out drip down his chest.

Damn... seriously, how long was it since he last drank?

He blinked as he stared down at his hands... they remained blurred, but he could make out they were some kind of gloves... completely black and with silver tips... wait.. they were very pointed...

What did he even look like?

He splashed a bit of water into his face and quickly wiped it. With a quick shake of his head, he looked at his hands and at last, his vision began to clear.

Sam's hands drifted back into view, white and… covered in fur… hang on… that cannot be right… he was… he…

I'm human…

And with that, his vision cleared entirely. He realised they weren't hands… they were paws with four little digits. Wait… huh?

He dropped the paws, and with that, he could see what looked like… a weird rabbit staring back at him from the water. Covered almost entirely in white fur… save for a little patch of orange across it's nose, a flash of reddish orange on the tops of it's ears, and finally orange iris…

It's mouth dropped open, showing a pair of brilliant white buckteeth. "What?"

That was when Sam realised it… That's… that's…

He sprung upright, paws snapping upto his chest, digits running through his fur and past his ears as the instinctively flicked aside. It can't be…

"I'm a bloody Scorbunny!? What the flying…" he stumbled backwards, and fell back onto his backside. He panted, trying to bring his heartrate down, his breathing under control. "H-How? I'm human! Now I'm a Pokémon? How's that supposed to…"

His voice trailed off… and he crawled back forward towards the water's edge. And once more, the reflection of that Scorbunny… him… Sam… stared back up at him… "I…" he fell silent, simmering in the fact that was staring back at his face…

Chapter II - Forwards and Onwards
POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON
GUARDIANS OF BALANCE

ALWAYS AUDACITY
CHAPTER II - FORWARDS AND ONWARDS

The sky was almost picturesque. A big bright sun, a few fluffy white clouds over there. Lots of strong trees topped with emerald green leaves. Not that they were actually emeralds just regular…

Groaning, Sam thumped his head against the tree he leaned against. He was still half convinced that this was some kind of dream, even if the slight throb running down his forehead seemed to confirm that, yes, this was all real.

"Come on!" he growled, pounding his paw into the bark. "I've got to remember something from before… err…" He chewed on his lip, his mind going blank. "Okay okay… my name is Sam… I'm – was human… obviously I'm a guy… unless I'm non-binary or… hang on, where did I hear about that?"

"Dang it." he hissed, "No idea."

Slowly, he began to pace, questioning his memory. Trying to glean something from before. Where did he come from?

No idea.

Okay, what did he look like as a human?

…nothing.

He grumbled to himself. How old was he?

"25."

His eyes widened in delighted, "H-Hey! I know my age at least! So what did I-"

Sam's mind went blank again. "Dang it!"

Angrily, he swivelled round and booted the nearest tree. But as his paw connected, his entire leg turned to jelly as the pain rushed up it. Crying out, he hopped away, clutching his foot as it throbbed. Okay mate… calm down, stop acting like some bratty kid!

Taking a deep breath, Sam forced himself to relax, rubbing the back of his head. Probably some weird fire rabbit hormones or something he figured.

And then there was that voice. The… star? If it was even one. Asking him for help. But help with what? Did they want help? Someone else? He shook his head, maybe it was tied to him being a Scorbunny?

He frowned to himself, They knew me too… but… how? I don't… damn it, I can't remember that either.

With a shake of his head, he rubbed his paws together. Alright, forget about the memories… I need to find some help first.

He slowly spun on his foot, scanning his surroundings. Other than the pool of water he had found himself next to, the only other feature of note was an opening in the trees that was a barely marked, dusty path that cut into the woods. Well… it's better than nothing.

And with that, Sam started to jog his way down the path.

It was fairly easy going, twisting and curving through the trees even if the path was barely… well… that at all. The canopy offered plenty of shade from the sun high above his head too, so he wasn't going to cook anyway.

Well… technically I'm already cooked… you know… being a fire type Pokémon and all…

He stopped mid stride, rubbing the back of his head. Hang on… Pokémon have awesome powers right? I should be able to do some fire moves! Err… what moves can I do… Ember I think?

Err… how do I do that?

He frowned to himself as he started walking again. So Ember… works out of the mouth right? But I've got ha- paws so… does it come from t-

"-hat seeds are these? Blast Seeds?"

"No, they're regular ones, I told you!"

Sam slowed down again, his ears already twitching around to track down the source. Well, that didn't take long… sounds like… huh, further down the track.

Beating his feet into the dirt, the Scorbunny rushed on ahead, picking up speed as he rushed on ahead. "Damn… they just look the same, you know?"

"The same? They've all got symbols on them you nitwit!"

"You know what I'm like! It's pretty easy for me to mix that stuff up!"

"Symbols!"

Blast Seeds… what? Nevermind. Should be some regular people to talk to.

He emerged into the clearing, paw raised in greeting, "Hey there, look, I'm a bit lost can you?"

The Rattata and Pidgey spun towards him, eyes widening in surprise.

"Ah right… you guy's are Pokémon… right… this is going to be weird, but are there any… trainers near here? I kinda need an idea-"

The Pidgey snapped it's beak with an audible crack, "Trainers? What the hell are you talking about?"

Sam's mouth hung completely open, as the full gravity of what just happened hit him like a sack of bricks. How can I be so stupid?! I can talk so…

It was obvious… he was a Pokémon and could talk regardless… and so could these guys. And frankly, there was only one word he could say in response…

"…crap."

Chapter III - Shoulda seen that coming
POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON
GUARDIANS OF BALANCE

ALWAYS AUDACITY
CHAPTER III – SHOULDA SEEN THAT COMING

Other than the soft rustle of leaves above his head, silence dominated the clearing. The bird and rat Pokémon staring him down with a mixture of confused and annoyed looks. Sam held his ground, frozen in place with his paw still hanging in mid air in greeting. Okay… this is awkward…

He lowered his paw, "Yeah… sorry about that… didn't exactly have the greatest night." He said, rubbing the back of his head. "Still a little bit… err… hungover…"

The Pidgey and the Rattata glanced at each other, the disgust now being replaced with disbelief. The Pidgey clipped their beak as they looked back at him. "Hungover?"

"Err… yeah?"

"At your age?"

Sam blinked at that, mind initially drawing a blank. Ah… Scorbunny is a pre-evolution right? Err..

"I was…" he started slowly, trying to work out another solution, "drinking a lot of juice… but I think someone spiked it."

"Really?"

"Yeah…"

The two Pokémon glanced at each other again, and Sam could tell they didn't quite believe him. The Rattata seemed to shrug half-heartedly, so at first glance, it seemed like they were going to let it slide. Okay, let's get them distracted…

"Hey, I'm kinda lost… do you happen to know where the nearest town is?"

The Pidgey cackled, "Really? It's not that big an island and you managed to get lost?"

"I'm kinda new here. And-"

"You got hungover?" the Rattata interrupted, whiskers twitching.

"…yeah."

Twitching an ear, Sam straightened up, "So can you… you know… point me in the right direction?"

Their eyes flicking back for a second, almost distractedly, the Pidgey nodded. "Sure, just follow the track that way." He pointed an arm towards another, more defined path through the trees on the other end of the clearing. "That'll take you to the main road."

Suddenly, the Rattata spun on it's feathered companion, eyes narrowing. As the Pidgey leaned in, it began to whisper.

Too bad it didn't really recognise the fact that Sam now had pretty big ears. "What are you doing? We don't know where this kid came from!"

"Says the guy who couldn't work out his seeds."

The rat quivered, "Look, you know how no one's evolving again, he could be from one of the teams, or those hunters! Besides, I've never seen Scorbunny around here."

"Come on." The bird hissed, "You said yourself, he's just a kid."

Ears twitching, Sam merely raised up one paw. "Err… first of all… I'm not a kid…"

Well, that's what I think anyway…

"…secondly… look, I can see you guys are a bit on edge. So I'll just get out of your hair and hit that road."

He started strolling over to the path, keeping one eye on the two Pokémon, "I won't tell anyone you're here either. So you don't have to worry about th-"

That was when he saw the yellow shape, jutting out from behind the back of the Rattata, and with that, he stopped mid stride. He was about to brush it off, consider it nothing… but curiosity nibbled at the back of his mind and so… it got the better of him. "Hey, what's that?"

Taking a step back, the Rattata hid the yellow shape away. "It's nothing." The Pidgey said. "Just some berries."

"You said you were looking at seeds though…" Sam mused, taking a few steps closer, trying to peer round, "Unless you guys have berries to-"

The yellow shape reappeared into view… and he recognised it as an arm attached to a little yellow and brown body… covered in blood. Sam froze, his entire body stiffening, "W-wait… is that a-"

He cried out as the Pidgey slammed into his chest headfirst, pain surging across his body as he was sent flying away and onto his back. Groaning, he shoved himself up, just in time to see the Rattata dive towards him, teeth flashing.

"Shit!"

Kicking his feet into the ground, Sam rolled and bounced back and just about evading the attack as the rat slammed head first into the grass. Landing back on his feet, he raised his paws up, eyes flicking between the now hovering bird and the rat. The bird was slowly shaking his head, "I was kinda wishing you didn't see that."

"Now can we deal with the brat?" The Rattata snapped.

"Gonna have to now."

Snarling, Sam began to bounce from one foot to the other, his heart pounding that little bit harder, ready to fight them off. "So what? You two are just some murderers?!"

The Pidgey snapped his beak, "We're just trying to make a living, this guy just got in the way!"

"Murder is still murder!"

Dragging his feet into the ground, the Rattata growled back in response, "Can't let you tell the authorities about us…"

Pulling a mock punch, Sam flashed a grin, the confidence flooding through him despite the throbbing chest. "I'm not helpless you know." He said, "Just me against the two of you? It's not like I'm dealing with some big dude huh?"

Something thumped into the ground just behind him, and with that, the two Pokémon before him seemed to flash… smirks. Sam's smile melted away. "That's exactly who's behind me right?"

"Yep." Replied a deep, rumbling voice behind him.

Slowly, Sam spun on his heel to come face to face with a gigantic Pokémon with two heavily built arms and shorter legs. Not only that, but it was also covered in orange padding and grey fins… a Swampert. It flashed a toothless grin as the confidence vanished and Sam stumbled back… "Fancy your chances now?"

The Scorbunny resisted the urge for his body to shake. "Err… yeah… I think so…"

With that, he snapped forward, crying out and willing the Ember to fire away.

Nothing happened. Blinking, Sam jabbed both paws forward, trying to focus on them, encourage flames to form. "Err…" He did it once more… and still nothing happened.

Okay… kinda need a new plan…

Run?

Yeah… run.

The Swampert frowned. "You know… even if you knew what you were doing I'm a water type?"

"Err… yeah… point taken."

And with that, he leapt straight up at the muscular mon. It's eyes widened as it tried to pull back in surprise. But the little Scorbunny was faster, grunting as he booted the bigger Mon in the face. Another few kicks, and Sam was up and over the Swampert to get behind it. "At least I can still move mate!" he teased.

And with that, Sam shot off, running for the woods as fast as his legs would allow. "What are you waiting for you idiots!?" the Swampert rumbled, "After him!"

POKÉMON MYSTERY DUNGEON
GUARDIANS OF BALANCE

ALWAYS AUDACITY
CHAPTER IV – STUFF AIN'T WHAT'S IT'S MADE UP TO BE

Sam ducked and weaved, trying to make up the distance between himself and those murdering sods. Licking his lips, he forced a determined look on his face, looking to keep up his confidence as he fled.

The truth was with his heart now pounding in his chest and threatening to blow out of it, he was terrified. Pokémon don't murder things! Do… do they?

He slowed, taking a sharp breath. Okay okay, just need to get to that road… oh shit, what if they were lying about that!?

"Stop pissing around and find that little brat!"

Head snapping round, he could hear the thumping footsteps of that Swampert coming up from behind him. Still chasing him… Dang it… even if I can outrun him, the Pidgey will keep place… I need a better idea and q- wait, the trees!

Eying one particularly big oak, Sam kicked himself up and onto the first branch, grunting as he scrambled to pull himself up and onto it… only to half gasp as he nearly slipped off the otherside with a creak, grabbing hold of a small branch to hold himself there. Right… I have no idea how to climb a tree…

"He went this way!"

Gulping, Sam pulled himself back upto his feet, looked up, and leapt again. Making his way that little bit higher into the tree with each and every jump. Just as he broke into the leaves proper, the Swampert forced his way into the clearing below, eyes narrowed as they scanned all directions. The Pidgey hovered in next to him and finally, the Rattata came in at their rear. Tightening his grip on one of the bark. Come on mates… move on move on…

The Swampert's head snapped towards the Pidgey, a low growl rumbling forth. "I told you not to lose him!"

The bird merely narrowed his eyes, "If we were on a field. Easy. I can either track him or dodge trees. I can't do both."

As the Rattata marched onwards, the big amphibian could only let out a heavy growl in reply, "Grr… Well he can't have got far. If we split up, we might be able to cover more ground."

"He's a Scorbunny, he ain't exactly slow."

"I'm not an idiot! Just… let me think."

The Rattata was now out of view with the other two Mons still at the edge of the clearing. Sam held his breath, trying to not shiver in the treetop. Come on you assholes… get out of here…

At last, the big Swampert seemed to straighten up, eyes fixed on something further ahead on the ground. "Well, let's go a little bit further, see if we can track down that rat a little further. If not, who's gonna believe him anyway? We'll get rid of the bodies and be off this rock before anyone bothers to look."

Bodies?

Sam watched as the Swampert and the Pidgey drifted by underneath him and out of sight. But he didn't move. He stayed frozen where he was, not even daring to breathe as the footsteps began to fade away.

He waited one minute. Then another.

And after the third, he finally let out a sigh of relief. Okay… better drop down and go a completely different direction bef-

An massive crack rang out beneath him, the entire tree shuddering as the Scorbunny was thrown forward, wrapping his arms round his branch. His heart pounded again as he squirmed. What the flying f-

Something snapped… and he could feel the air shift as the tree began to topple over. "Oh come on!" he barked, as he struggled to get his feet onto the branch… and with another kick, blew clear of the leaves.

Straight into the Pidgey.

Crying out, he tried to throw a wild punch, hoping to catch the bird's wing… but it only tasted thin air as he flailed helplessly before finally hitting the ground with a dull thud. Moaning, Sam pushed himself back up to find himself staring down the Swampert, rubbing his front paws together. That tree was just a punching bag! But how-

Down next to him, the Rattata was flashing a toothy grin at him. Complete with a rather big branch with a handful of leaves hanging out of his mouth. Plus the other pristine leaves all scattered across the ground. He bit of a curse at that. Damn it… must have broke it off when I tried to climb it up! Pushing himself back up to his feet, Sam glared back at the three Pokémon blocking his path again. The Swampert merely pulled it's toothless grin once more. "Think you were being clever huh?"

Suddenly sensing a flare up of heat within him, the Scorbunny raised his paws. "You've still gotta catch me yo-"

All other words were destroyed as the beam of water slammed into his chest. Pain tore through him, his ribs feeling as if they were being crushed as he was thrown back. His breath stolen away. I-I can't m-

He felt his head snap back against something hard, and he saw no more.

*****​

Sam groaned as he slowly came to, his entire head throbbing as if someone had rammed an electric toothbrush in his skull. His chest too ached, and for a moment he half thought his ribs were broken. Slowly and weakly, he moved one paw up onto his chest, taking in a sharp intake of breath as pain pulsed along his skin… but it felt intact. His vision blurred, his paw drifting back to behind his head… and when the furry hand came back into view the pristine white paw was now red and dripping with ichor.

"Damn, you survived that? You're tougher than you look."

In that moment, Sam realised that he was being dragged across grass under an open sky. T-The c-clearing? "W-W-Wha… W-Where are you t-taking me?"

"To give you a choice buddy."

The injured Scorbunny could only moan in response, barely noticing his leg getting dropped as his vision cleared a little bit… the dark shape of that big leader. "I was just gonna kill ya. But you're not half ballsy for a rabbit." He grunted, "So I'm gonna give you a choice. You can join our crew and we'll patch you up. Or… well… you can end up like this lot."

Something pushed… no, pulled Sam upright, and his vision, whilst still dark around the edges, cleared up. It was the clearing he had first encountered them and…

His heart went still, unable to tear his eyes away from the bodies. The yellow body from before he recognised as a Pikachu. Their eyes were shut and their face was relaxed… but the amount of blood covering them, especially round their neck… His eyes flicked over to the others. A light blue coloured turtle, it's head twisted at an awkward angle. And another larger bug like mon, wings torn up… and another yellow mon, even smaller than the Pikachu with-

Unable to look any longer, Sam tore his gaze away, his stomach churning from both pain and… that damn sight. "You…" he gasped, "Want me to join you? To kill!?"

"Eh, ruffle them up sure. Kill? Eh, we try and avoid that. But you know what us Pokémon are like. Once we start fighting it's not easy to stop, you know?"

Eyes squeezed shut, the Scorbunny could only shake his head. "B-But that is just killing! You've torn them apart!"

He could hear that damn Swampert chuckle behind him, "Hey. We're just doing what we can to get through life. With the disasters coming back, only makes sense. So, whatcha say?"

Feeling the tears forming at the edge of his eyes, Sam slowly pushed himself up, he took a step forward, stumbled. His vision was clearing now, and a quick glance behind revealed the Swampert flanked on both sides by the Pidgey and the Rattata… with bodies in plain view next to them.

No… I'm… he punched the ground and shakingly pushed himself back up. I'm- I'm not…

Stumbling once more, he managed to turn round to face the team, his breathing laboured. "No… I'm not becoming a killer just to stay alive for a few days longer!"

Weakly, he raised his paws up, trying to ready himself for the next blow. "I… I'd rather die."

The Swampert merely shrugged, "Welp… sorry to hear that."

With that he opened his mouth, a blue ball of energy beginning to form within, slowly humming.

His arms continued to shake. Sam knew he wasn't walking away from this, nevermind running. This… it's it…

As the orb started to look like a water ball, Sam could only close his eyes… and brace for the inevitable hit. For his bones to break…

Instead, the hum was cut out, and replaced with an almighty crack… and a surprised cry.

He opened his eyes.

Standing between him and the Swampert was a bipedal, avian like Pokémon with predominately red feathers, although also mixed in with yellow and beige ones too whilst cold, blue eyes were fixed on the water type… who had seemed to have backed off, rubbing his chin as his eyes burned. A… A Blaziken!? Where did he-

"I'm going to give you once chance." Stated the fire-type, eyes seemed to get surprisingly colder. "Hand yourselves in."

"Or what?!" The Swampert barked, "You can't kick my ass!"

"I can. And so can this team."

The Rattata and Pidgey rushed forward, as readying their attacks as they came down on the Blaziken… but Sam barely registered the shapes that rushed past him in a blur and past the fire type.

The Gallarde struck first, it's bladed arm rushing up to meet the Pidgey head on. Sam could just make out the bird's eyes widening before the blade slammed into it's body. With a pained cry, the bird shot up well into the sky and out of view. The Rattata, despite being on the ground, managed to leap back just as the Scyther slashed at him with their own blades. It's teeth flashed as it reared back, glowing as it readied itself for-

Too late, as the second blade struck across the whole length of the Rattata. With little more than a gasp, the rat was tossed aside, rolling across the grassy field as a battered pulp.

The Swampert roared as it charged at the Blaziken, rearing back as it tore a boulder from the ground and tossed it towards the avian.

Without even blinking, the fire-type merely stepped to oneside as the rock flew past and bounced past the still frozen Sam, chips flicking off and landing just in front of him. Only then did they finally strike, leaping up into the air with an almighty kick into the earth.

The Swampert could barely react before the Blaziken's clawed foot slammed down onto his head with an almighty crack. Groaning, he stumbled back, but the Blaziken came after him as then came a barrage of punches and kicks, each one striking the bigger mon in the face. Bloodying it up and driving it back further and further. Sam could only look on in shock as the fighter pummeled the water-type into submission as with a final scream, their legs erupted into flames and struck the Swampert with an powerful snap.

The big brute stumbled back moaning, shuddered… and slammed headfirst into the dirt, out cold.

Sam could tell his mouth was agape, his body still shivering from the surprise… from the power of each strike… and with fear.

Brushing it's shoulder off, the Blaziken turned round to face him.

Sam froze, his heart going cold.

The Blaziken seemed to relax as it looked down on him, it's blue eyes not looking as fierce. Likewise, the other two Pokemon had turned to face him too, looks of concern evident even as the Scyther cast a glance in the direction of the corpses.

The Scorbunny was about to utter a word when something blinked in the sky, just behind the Blaziken. A brown and tan shape diving down at high speed… it's wings glowing white. The Pidgey…

And it was diving straight for the Blaziken.

Something burned within Sam, fear replaced by desperation as his eyes widened. Desperation turned into instinct as some new found strength shot through his body. One eye snapped towards the boulder… and one of the broken fragments directly in front of him.

Screaming, Sam dashed forward… feeling a surge of heat running through his legs as he brought his foot back and brought it down with all the force he could muster.

The pebble ignited instantly, the little fireball shooting forward into the air. Eyes widening, the Blaziken jerked to oneside. Not that it was needed, as the Ember rushed past… and straight at the Pidgey.

The bird screamed as the fireball struck it in the face, the glowing wings fading back to normal as it was tossed back and out of the sky, landing with a dull thud.

Even in his state, Sam could see it's chest smoking.

The Blaziken took a second to glance at the downed Pidgey, before it finally turned back towards the Scorbunny… looking almost amazed… or surprised.

His body was already quivering again, feeling like jelly as he looked up at the evolved fire-type.

Sam just managed to muster up the remaining strength to pull a small grin.

"So… that's how Ember works…"

And with that, Sam toppled forward and fell face first into the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom