What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawkeye

Lerticus

Senile Old Coot
☭ Communism ☭
AKA: Lucky the pizza dog and friends

No one expected this to be so Christmassy. Like Die Hard, but without the super powers.

Lert likey.

So...she's not related to Clint in the MCU then? I don't recognize the face. So, it's Kate Bishop then? I guess the rumours of Young Avengers must have some substance to them then.

So...she's not related to Clint in the MCU then?
Correct.
I don't recognize the face.
Hailee Steinfeld. Best known in the nerd fandom as that girl in Bumblebee.
So, it's Kate Bishop then?
Correct.
I guess the rumours of Young Avengers must have some substance to them then.
They have introduced almost every single member of that team. Seems like a rumor with legs.

Seen:
Wiccan/Speed (Wandavision) - pretty sure they will be back
Stature (Ant-Man movies) - Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania will probably power her up
Patriot (The Falcon and the Winter Soldier) - Eli Bradley still needs fleshing out, possibly in Captain America 4
Kid Loki (Loki) - self explanatory
Iron Lad (Loki) -sort of, being a Kang variant
Kate Bishop (Hawkeye)

Coming:
Miss America, my eternal enemy, Chavez (Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness)

Possibly not coming:
Hulkling - Kree/Skrull hybrid heir to a galactic throne that doesn't really exist in the MCU
Marvel Boy - Alternate reality Kree super-soldier. Weird backstory that might stretch MCU credibility.
New Vision - A future version of Iron Lad in a synthezoid body. Too many Visions already, so unlikely.

Possible replacements from announced projects:
Ms. Marvel (Ms. Marvel series, The Marvels movie)
Ironheart (Ironheart series) - May also appear in the Armor Wars series.
White Vision (Wandavision)

First two episodes are out. I'm liking it.

Quick version: Ronin suit pop comes into Kate's possession. Tracksuit mafia wants to get even with Ronin. Clint looks to get the suit back and close the books on his Ronin days. Side stories are that Clint has turned into a bad dad and his kids barely tolerate him, Kate might be getting framed for a murder, and Kate's mom is getting married to a sleez who is probably connect.

Thoughts:
  • I could do this all daaaaaaaaay!
  • Kate's mom is probably a bad guy.
  • the sleezoid is none other than the Swordsman! Might be good, bad, or a bit of both with his comic book history.
  • Bro.
  • Kate's friend is named Greer. Might be a coincidence, or they might be aiming to bring Tigra into the Young Avengers side of the MCU
  • Pizza dog is good.
  • Bro!
  • Chekhov's candy.
  • How do you mess up that badly with cleaning a wound and sticking on a bandage suture?
  • Bro?

I really appreciate how Kate is a talented amateur who despite her well-developed skillset fucks up all the time because she's superduper new at this. Feels rather refreshing from the deluge of insta-competent girlboss characters, like Skye in Agents of SHIELD who needed like a week betweens Season 1 and 2 to become a Black Widow-level Super Agent.

I really appreciate how Kate is a talented amateur who despite her well-developed skillset fucks up all the time because she's superduper new at this. Feels rather refreshing from the deluge of insta-competent girlboss characters, like Skye in Agents of SHIELD who needed like a week betweens Season 1 and 2 to become a Black Widow-level Super Agent.
The strange reason why I am already liking this show better than other Disney+ shows? Hawkguy isn't the main character.

Wandavision... have an adventure with B-list heroes, end up basically at the same point.
Falcon and the Winter Soldier... have an adventure with B-list heroes, end up basically at the same point.
Loki... have an adventure with a B-list hero, end up basically at the same point.

They are all heroes who currently cannot carry their own movies, so they get a show. Things happen that will affect the MCU, but don't expect it to be referenced too heavily in the movies because they are the cash cows.

Hawkeye is instead giving us a new hero. It is like an origin movie, co-starring that Avenger who uses a bow and arrows. He has his own role to play, but the focus is on raising a new generation of hero. When you think about it, this is where the whole idea of Young Avengers begins. Other characters have been shown in shows and movies, but they were just teases, while Kate Bishop is the first new hero of that younger generation.

This feels like the beginning of a moving Phase 4 MCU. Black Widow was a tale from Natasha's past. Shang-Chi was a standalone origin story. Eternals was a standalone origin story. Fine movies, but they give almost no momentum to the next big event. Spider-Man No Way Home will finally start the ball moving faster on the movie side by making the multiverse more of thing, but this show starts the parallel development of a new generation of heroes. It is pushing forward instead of floating in a bubble of time.

I like that.

• Maya and the Last Dragon
  • dead daddy, so you know she is future hero material (that, and the announced Echo series)
  • Fatman Begins
  • unicorns are manly
  • a decent fight
  • no war on Christmas yet, only war on hearing aids
  • a fun Nutcracker chase
  • more Kingpin teases
  • how do you go from being fully hearing to deaf with losing only one hearing aid? Clint shows no signs of having no hearing in his other ear
  • Who's a happy doggo? Pizza dog is a happy doggo!
  • more Nutcracker, this time with incompetent hacking
  • ambush!

• Well, there went the fan nerds' theory that there was an ages-old relationship with Clint and Jack, lol
  • Fancy-ass Rolex wearing Avenger motherfuckers
  • Clint's kids hate him more than ever (fun fact, in the old comics the letter ink ran together a lot, and they use only capital letters, so everyone was all "SHUT UP, CUNT!" "WAY TO GO, CUNT!" "I LOVE YOU, CUNT!"; his kids might be thinking of how to use this to their advantage)
  • At least he has a new kid to raise to be his legacy, not like those other brats will grow to be anything special
  • "Thanos was right"
  • My Little Hawkeye: LARPing is Magic
  • Crimes? No problem, we're cops! We will even throw in some extra swag!
  • Everybody was kung-fu fightin'/ You can barely tell what's happenin'/ One was dressed like Night Monkey/ It was the Red Room honkey
Parts of the episode were fun. A lot of it was a slog. Final fight was ass. No bro, bro.

Last edited:
Felt Yelena was introduced too late, like you only have two episodes to deal with Nat's sister being out for revenge, in addition to the Rolex and who's running the Tracksuits, the 'murder mystery' and Clint getting back home.

Also yet to see an angle for the reported Echo show, Maya aside from really good at kicking people seems rather basic and evil instead of a cool anti-hero type. Then again apparently according to the MCU threatening a hero's family or killing their sidekick doesn't make you a bad person like Karli in FATWS.

Hard to keep track of the hanging plot threads. I think at a minimum:
  1. Something something protect the watch.
  2. Get the heat off of Kate.
  3. Convince Maya to not hunt Clint's family.
  4. Tell Yelena, "Naw, dawg. It ain't like that. Your sister threw herself off a cliff so I could gather a precious magic rock."
I don't think they have to fully resolve the Yelena plot thread, just get her to go away until the next MCU appearance.

Maya... I think that she will want to keep going on her crusade and gets shut down by "Uncle". She may take on a secret identity to hide, ends up fighting baddies (Echo was more of an antihero for a long time anyway). Or Clint convinces her that someone else did the murdering, so she chases after them.

The watch seems like a waste of time that will end with, "that was a gift to Bruce Banner by his cousin who will now soon be hurt and need to turn into She-Hulk, coming soon to Disney+".

Reading the plot-line I wonder how many peoblems could have been solved with a "direct approach" and several barrels of concentrated bleach. Or acid.

• See my vest, see my vest, it's made from real... Thanos dust!
  • Kate gets dumped by Avengers husbando, very sad day.
  • Come on. Stop making it so obvious that Kate's mom is actually behind Sloan Ltd and killing the old dude.
  • Sriracha!
  • Yelena is still super adorable.
  • "The trail of blood that follows him, it could wrap around the entire world." Yeah, I would say that.
  • "The Big Guy"
  • Kids may think their dad is the worst, but at least his wife supports his murders plans.
  • Many years later Maya finally asks Kazi why he wasn't at the meeting. For being skilled at tracking people down she really sucks at asking basic questions that any normal person would wonder.
  • Oh, no, Kate's mom is a baddie, who saw this coming?
  • Blurry Kingpin. Could be D'Onofrio. Could be Bruce Willis. Picture taken with potato is bad, potato is for vodka.
So this seems a bit like a retcon of Black Widow. It sure looked like Val was sending Yelena after Clint, but now she is actually on a hit job from the mafia. Looks like this plot thread will be easily tied up with Kate's little talk of "Clint is a good guy. If someone wants him killed, they are probably the real bad guys. I am also implying that would make you a bad guy, but you kill people for money, so you aren't really on the good side anyway." Maya is now on the trail of Fisk, so that is probably where the Echo series will go (as I predicted).

Final episode will have to reveal why that watch is so damn important. Probably a lead-in to another project. Still thinking it will be She-Hulk.

Only other thing to wrap up is what they will do with Jack. Probably not a Swordsman project at this time, but maybe yet another recruitment speech by Val? Or have Yelena offer the invitation so that the Val character does not become all one-note.

• Why can't I just quit you?
  • To the Hawkeye... bench of arrow fabrication.
  • All it really takes to rope in a bunch of first responders into dangerous missions really is LARPing. Magical.
  • Enter... the Green Widow!
  • "So I am here to do a professional hit and get out. I guess I will just start shooting wildly for endless minutes." -Kazi
  • A wild Swordsman appears! He used SLASH! It is super effective!
  • Hanging out at the Hooters tree.
  • "Now we are dressed for medieval adventure! People will listen to us, and our ATK score is multiplied by ten!" - LARPers
  • It's OK, Kate. I really hated that tree. You are doing great.
  • Owl is probably going to eat those people. Oh well.
  • Was Fat Man Auto Repair responsible for maintaining that car? One wonders.
  • Come on, Kazi. You were never the badass. You are one dumb motherfucker for even trying to fight Maya.
  • Cufflink wins.
  • 🎶WEEELL Kate's mom's a bitch she's a big fat bitch, she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world she's a stupid bitch if there ever was a bitch, she's a bitch to all the boys and girls!🎶 Bye, Kate's mom.
  • Hawkeye does, in fact, have a super power. Whistling.
  • Oh, now they remember to walk the dog.
  • "You kept your promise," the children say in a state of shock.
  • Watch was Laura's. Sorry, the REAL Mockingbird's.

Last edited:
As mentioned on SB, it really feels like Kingpin was written and inserted at the last moment, hence why Clint never directly interacts with him and even him saying the line seems ADR'd. Even the watch seems a last moment addition as clearly Jeremy Renner and Linda Cardellini are not in the same room when he hands her the Super Important Watch that turns out to just be a memento to her SHIELD days.

As mentioned on SB, it really feels like Kingpin was written and inserted at the last moment, hence why Clint never directly interacts with him and even him saying the line seems ADR'd.
I think that Marvel Studios wasn't sure what they were going to do with the Netflix shows until they recently made a decision. The story seemed to change partway through production. Partially Covid-related, but all the delays meant that Marvel gained control over those shows, so now they could do things they were looking to do in future projects.

I doubt that they killed the Kingpin though. Either he shrugs off the shot with his superhuman bulk, or he disarms Maya and the gun goes off. Maybe it is just a warning shot, where Fisk was right that she couldn't bring herself to do it. I expect he will have a role to play in the Echo series.

Seems funny that they have decided to continue using the Netflix shows, but Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is being shoved to the side despite it being made by (the TV side of) Marvel Studios. I also expect us to never hear of the Inhumans again. They have mutants back to play with, so they will likely go down that route in the future. Which would be funny to watch a bunch of mutants-turned-Inhuman characters (due to the Fox friction over the years) being reverted to mutants again.

Seems funny that they have decided to continue using the Netflix shows, but Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is being shoved to the side despite it being made by (the TV side of) Marvel Studios. I also expect us to never hear of the Inhumans again. They have mutants back to play with, so they will likely go down that route in the future. Which would be funny to watch a bunch of mutants-turned-Inhuman characters (due to the Fox friction over the years) being reverted to mutants again.
Disney and Marvel Comics who controlled the TV division until now and why we've yet to get a good Marvel cartoon for the last few years, are at odds with each other. In some articles they treat it like a mob war, with the Comics referred to as 'New York'.

The best part of this show is in the last two episodes the insane chemistry between Ylena and Kate. These two together are real gold.

So I've heard d'onofrio's Kingpin in this is pretty much a different kingpin from daredevil!? Any truth to that ?

So I've heard d'onofrio's Kingpin in this is pretty much a different kingpin from daredevil!? Any truth to that ?
Well in personality not much, but he runs a street gang of incompetent simpletons which seems like a massive downgrade to his old Kingpin status and is now explicitly superhuman like ripping off a car door with one hand, and is unaffected by arrows to the chest, an accelerating car ramming him through a store window and then getting blown up without suffering any serious injury except a little sore and tired.

Well that's a bloody shame. Wonder how they will handle daredevil then.

Back
Top Bottom