What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you call the current GATE fanfiction scene here?

Garbage, everything is basically garbage.

There could be a few good bits here and there but I can't be fucked putting in the effort searching

I lost interest in GATE halfway during second season of the anime.

I don't have much reason in actually following associated fan-fiction. Still, I've read a few, however I don't think they can do much with the scenario. If I should summarise current GATE fanfic scene in one world, it would say "uninteresting"

The GATE Fanfiction scene is filled with dirt with a few diamonds in the rough as it were. I'm currently writing one of the more interesting ones right now alongside a MLP:FiM/XCOM fanfic. There is a handful of recommendations at it's TVTropes page, but the Janus Campaign is an absolute gem...

Not so bad... compared to Fanfiction.net.

Now, that, that is where all the shit goes.
Sturgeons Law applies to all fanfiction, 90% of it is trash, only 10% are decent/good.

Sturgeons Law applies to all fanfiction, 90% of it is trash, only 10% are decent/good.
Its more like tripple Sturgeon. 90 percent are absolute crap, 9 percent are crap, 0.9 percent are somewhat crap and the remaining 0.1 percent are decent/good.

I'd argue about 95%, but that would be semantics.
Too true... but then again I wouldn't be as far as I have without fics like and Thus the Soviets Conquered and GATE: The Janus Campaign.
Its more like tripple Sturgeon. 90 percent are absolute crap, 9 percent are crap, 0.9 percent are somewhat crap and the remaining 0.1 percent are decent/good.
... that is different than most people...

... that is different than most people...
Have you been to ff.net or AO3 lately?

There is a reason why I go to SB and SV for my fanfiction fix. In both places bad fiction lasts only one single story post most of the time in a reverse Sturgeon of 10 percent crap, 90 percent decent/good.

What exactly would you say makese the Janus campaign so good?
One, it isn't that over-the-top jangoistic BS; two, it makes the empire not be idiots to be smashed; three, acceptable changes to canon to make everyone not look like idiots... and I'm probably forgetting more because I'm fighting a cold right now...

Fan-fiction.net isn't that bad.

It's main problem comes from the fact they are large site with a very little quality control, a large number of stories and authors, with very little limitation on what can be actually posted. No one deletes or bans the bad stories. This combines with system where it is impossible to actually find good stories because there isn't any real way to distinguish between those and myriads of bad ones without reading through them from start to finish, there is no function that keeps popular / and thus potential good / stories on top of the list.

Manually listing the number of stories in the Fanfictions section, there are roughly four, including my own. There are five, if you wish to count GATE: and so the Iron Pact Fought There Informational Thread as a story.

All of them are crossovers (As of the time of this post), though one is less a story and more a place for the author to dump information down, which is not a bad idea.

Edit: Here is a link to the stories, if you would like to perouse through them.

Arrival From the Gate: Gate x Warcraft crossover.
GATE: and so the Iron Pact Fought.
GATE: The Janus Campaign
Mojave Roulette (Metro 2033/Fallout: New Vegas)

Manually listing the number of stories in the Fanfictions section, there are roughly four, including my own. There are five, if you wish to count GATE: and so the Iron Pact Fought There Informational Thread as a story.

All of them are crossovers (As of the time of this post), though one is less a story and more a place for the author to dump information down, which is not a bad idea.
That was before the site got the Threadmarks operational, so I couldn't distinguish informational posts and story posts. There is less need for it now but I'm practically stuck with it right now.

This quote basically sums up most of not all writers of this shit.

From SB strangely. A place this shit happens a lot.

>People complains about something, let's put an example the battle of Alnus Hill being warcrimes everywhere for the use of machine guns to fend a group of murderous people. And at the next post is praising a fic about throwing a nuke in a peasant village as nuanced, grounded, realistic persue of the gray morality realities of the war.

People need to know more Spellcross.

11-8jhXIUb.png

Funny thing to notice, quite a few people hate the MC for treating his position at the JSDF as a job instead of fighting for the his country which translates to fighting for GLORIOUS NIPPON

Everyone else hates him cause they hate the harem genre in general.

Of course there are also those creepy fucks who are "jealous" of a fictional character and would probably make a sexual SI of themselves banging everyone
but thats a minority.
I hope.

Last edited:
The fanfiction scene for the Gate series is boring and uninteresting. There comes a point when you go through various fandoms and see the typical scenes be changed up to show the badass side of the various characters at the Battle of Alnus Hill, Fight Against the Flame Dragon, and Battle of Italica. Then the author in question gets stuck by having literally nothing beyond that point because they did it for the epic and awesomeness in showing their best side.

I've seen a couple that try to be creative of the situation such as the tanker fic that tried to do something different like having an M1 Abrams get into a fight with the Flame Dragon with the tank commander looking at the scars on his armor and go "I'm going to get that bastard for sure" like some scene in Moby Dick. Another is crossed with the Warhammer Fantasy universe and tries to be a bit more cordial with the Empire as Princess Pina and Emperor Karl-Franz's son are falling for each other - leaving these moments where the audience wants to know what their relationship will be like "Will the dad hate the girlfriend he brought home or would he welcome her?" kind of reasoning.

Then there are the ones that are filled with complete shit.
Gatefic with brownshirts rescuing the people of Berlin, painting themselves as heroes.
Gatefic with PMCs being "hard men making hard choices" that result with Itami getting killed despite the fact that PMCs can't have an offensive war due to the Geneva Convention.
Gatefic with the Third Reich taking Falmart.
Gatefic with one American being a proponent for having sex with children.

Now I can go on and on with examples, but the point is that they still fall into the trap of lacking originality by going through stations of canon and are there to express how awesome one's people are. It's boring and been done to death, but that is the state this fanfiction fandom is in.

Thankfully, the manga and bits of the light novel can be useful enough to get away from the stations of canon and bring a bit of life into the Gate universe.
Whoops. :oops:

The same author wrote a New Vegas/Gate story and I definetly mixed up the stories!
You're still mixing them up. :)

The fic I have on SB is called From the Shadows Redux (Metro/Gate) - which is kinda a rewrite of a poorly thought-out idea that still interests me, but with a better compelling plot for me to work with and for readers to enjoy. It's one of those fics I enjoy typing up when I have the time to spend on post-apocalypse Russians with the JSDF, USA, Mordor Modern Russians, fantasy races, and medieval/classical societies.
Everyone else hates him cause they hate the harem genre in general.
To be honest, it just doesn't sit well with me. A man in the company of what appears to be underage girls - yes, I'm fully aware of several characters who have long lives, but the appearance alone doesn't excuse it - has wacky adventures with them and carries some degree of romance with girls based on romance, history, intellect, etc.

I generally like the isekai or the path into another world stories, but the harem antics just seem to ruin such worldbuilding for obvious fanservice - like Itami looking at the mage girl's chest and creeping out over it.

Familiar of Zero and several other isekais did this, but Gate broke the camel's back for me.
creepy fucks who are "jealous" of a fictional character and would probably make a sexual SI of them banging everyone
Not all of us are that perverted.

If I wanted to look for that, I'd go in the Naruto and Harry Potter fanfics. There is no shortage of them in there.

Back
Top Bottom