What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you call the current GATE fanfiction scene here?

Its more like tripple Sturgeon. 90 percent are absolute crap, 9 percent are crap, 0.9 percent are somewhat crap and the remaining 0.1 percent are decent/good.
Got any of that decent/good stuff? I admit that I can't think of any Gate fic that isn't utter garbage myself.

Got any of that decent/good stuff? I admit that I can't think of any Gate fic that isn't utter garbage myself.
Well, there is The Janus Campaign, mostly done on SB; then there is my own fic GATE: and so the Iron Pact Fought; then there are those on the TVTropes rec page for GATE...

... that isn't as good as people like to tout it, especially since it uses a lot of 'popular' history instead of actual history for the actions of the various nations.
What I liked in the story was that the empire was not chucked into the dustbin as a non-entity as the author's own pet factions end up taking over the story.

People generally give me two main criticisms with Janus Campaign:

1) Too Optimistic!

2) Not enough blood and guts and curb stomp

BTW: Flame Dragon died as characters heroicly reconned the nest area so a Reaper Drone could blast it in its nest with two 500# bombs and followed by four Hellfire missiles. Dark Elves NOT used as disposable fodder to sate the kill count while preserving cast immunity.

Need to keep going. Imperial Civil War coming up shortly.

I actually laugh at those complaints. Optimism is as valid a goal as being broody and nihilistic. As for those who want curb stomps? They can look elsewhere. Frankly, I don't intend for off-world forces to have an Offensive role in the Imperial Civil War, since that by its very definition would reduce Pina to being the puppet ruler of a marginalized Empire with little legitimacy.

I actually laugh at those complaints. Optimism is as valid a goal as being broody and nihilistic. As for those who want curb stomps? They can look elsewhere. Frankly, I don't intend for off-world forces to have an Offensive role in the Imperial Civil War, since that by its very definition would reduce Pina to being the puppet ruler of a marginalized Empire with little legitimacy.
Eh, my goals towards the end is basically the US/Japan coalition wanting the idiots captured and given a one-way trip to the Hague while the Iron Pact wants to prevent this entire song and dance to happen again by basically rebuilding a nation in a nation-building exercise that -for them- only happened on such a scale once previously with what would become the African Federation.

Turning the Empire and it's vassals into economic partners that would help strengthen the economy is simply a happy side effect...

Well, I'm sure their comments are better than the 'Curbstomp' crowd... though probably not by much.
No, they're not. :( I've seen fics die because of these sort of people...

Too much of those people on SB.

Well actually, I think of them as a minority but they tend swarm to Gate and Isekai's and screech about the suffering of the bottom they can enjoy.

Too much of those people on SB.

Well actually, I think of them as a minority but they tend swarm to Gate and Isekai's and screech about the suffering of the bottom they can enjoy.
I hadn't encountered those people when I was still there... so I must have been lucky.

I hadn't encountered those people when I was still there... so I must have been lucky.
Some of the worse examples popped up after you got perma'd

so yeah. Lucky.

Some of the worse examples popped up after you got perma'd

so yeah. Lucky.
Well, from what a mod told me, I could file for a return... in 2021... I will not reveal the mod in question though... but now that I look at it... I can see how bad it gotten...

I found a number of the guys who wrote some of the early big GATE fics over on Discord. They really seem to not particularly want to discuss it in the Discord GATE chat. They sound burnt out and dismissive. A shame I suppose.

I found a number of the guys who wrote some of the early big GATE fics over on Discord. They really seem to not particularly want to discuss it in the Discord GATE chat. They sound burnt out and dismissive. A shame I suppose.
Wait, seriously? Man, I would be happy to see them to ask for various tips and tricks. :)

Wait, seriously? Man, I would be happy to see them to ask for various tips and tricks. :)
The guy who did "Here We Go Again" Is talking about a full redo but doesn't really say anything about what he wants to fix. But yeah. not much creative discussion there.

Back
Top Bottom