What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How would you call the current GATE fanfiction scene here?

The guy who did "Here We Go Again" Is talking about a full redo but doesn't really say anything about what he wants to fix. But yeah. not much creative discussion there.
Still, if their experience can help me improve my fic, I would be happy... but still, given the environment around the GATE fanfic community...

I don't think I will be going there, if only because I have a feeling people won't like me making the Saderan's somewhat competent in my Fanfic!

The guy who did "Here We Go Again" Is talking about a full redo but doesn't really say anything about what he wants to fix. But yeah. not much creative discussion there.
Yeah, I have a feeling I'm not going to be welcomed there if I try to enter that Discord server.

That author specifically has a low opinion of me thanks to several of my deleted fanfics and confusion of one fic with another totally different fic.

This combines with system where it is impossible to actually find good stories because there isn't any real way to distinguish between those and myriads of bad ones without reading through them from start to finish, there is no function that keeps popular / and thus potential good / stories on top of the list.

Re: the issues with FFN, I find it's mostly the fact the ui is still stuck in the goddamb 90s. FFN Is clunky to use and hard to look at. AO3 is a significant improvement in comparison

Honestly I'd say I prefer AO3 to reading fic on SB/SV because the experiance of reading them on a fourm is just kind of unpleasant. Not to mention that with AO3/FFN the default is recently updated while fourm Threads are based on which got any kinda reply.

Re: the issues with FFN, I find it's mostly the fact the ui is still stuck in the goddamb 90s. FFN Is clunky to use and hard to look at. AO3 is a significant improvement in comparison

Honestly I'd say I prefer AO3 to reading fic on SB/SV because the experiance of reading them on a fourm is just kind of unpleasant. Not to mention that with AO3/FFN the default is recently updated while fourm Threads are based on which got any kinda reply.
Now have idea for plugin. O:

Though would be lot of work.

What do your ideas entail?
The idea is a Mass Effect/GATE one where a Systems Alliance cruiser appeared at GATE World and crash landed on Alnus Hill after they escaped the Crucible's energy blast at the end of the Reaper War. This idea of mine is kinda like a very sci-fi mix of the TV series Terra Nova and Lost.

Most parts in the story focus more on drama, conflict and dynamic interaction between characters, as well as the development and exploration of both characters, plus the sociopolitical factors involved. While having less emphasis on:
  • "Fuck 'em, we have guns and democracy!"
  • Go full jingoism wank mixed with imperialism on a backward feudal world.
Furthermore, the story focuses on the Systems Alliance cruiser's crew trying to survive and thrive in an unknown fantasy world while dealing with realistic issues.

Such as the deteriorating mental health of some crewmates as a result of witnessing the horrific aftermath of the Battle of Alnus Hill and being cut off from their home and family for a long time, along with trying to reach and maintaining a continuous, balanced diplomatic relationship with neighboring nations and tribes, resolving the indefinite issue of limited resources and materials to keep their modern equipment in good shape, repopulation, leadership crisis and so on.

Like, the list below shows you what I've planned for the fanfic idea. The differences between the JSDF and the Systems Alliance cruiser crew should be very clear, especially with the themes involved in the canon story (from what I understand) and my fanfic idea.

JSDF:
  • Clash between two different cultures - modern and fantasy
  • Japanese right-wing and nationalism overtones
  • Glorification of Japanese military (or Nippon Fuck Yeah! and Continuous Nippon Wank)
  • Coming to Special Region for natural resources
  • RL politics being parodied
  • Main character is an otaku and got into harem
  • Serious situation being downplayed(?)
Systems Alliance cruiser crew:
  • Clash between two different cultures - sci-fi and fantasy
  • Having realistic and serious issues
  • Got into survival situation
  • Drama and conflict between the crew
  • Limited production capability on extracting natural resources
  • Dwindling rare and exotic resources such as iridium and eezo
  • Emphasis on character building and depth
  • More variety of characters - ethnicity, personality, preference etc
  • Main characters are an Afro-French female, Finnish male, Korean female and Bosnian male.
There are also things I want to put in my Mass Effect/GATE fanfic idea. More interesting dialogue and drama not just between ME and GATE characters, but also between the Systems Alliance cruiser crew themselves. With their own survival at stake, their principle and psyche being tested with the ever changing conditions they're in as well as the many unknowns that GATE World has to offer, it would become an interesting yet challenging fanfic for me to write.

Different characters with different personalities dealing with all sorts of problems, including realistic ones, whether on a personal level or involve a lot of people.

But since the ME characters are from the Systems Alliance Military, the story would have some elements from Band of Brothers and The Thin Red Line (1998). While the story follows the perspective of different ME characters in an armed conflict with the Saderan Empire and hostile beings in GATE World, it's when they're not active in combat and living at the crash site that fleshes out the story more.

Their thoughts and interaction with each other which shows how each of them are more than just being "Alliance Military personnel; soldiers, officers, technicians, sailors". How in the end, no matter what, they're just people.

Something that I've thought...

most fics swap earth for another faction. Wonder what would happen with a swap to the fantastic side.

Something that I've thought...

most fics swap earth for another faction. Wonder what would happen with a swap to the fantastic side.
It depends on what fantastic realm comes pouring through the GATE. The actual GATE (LN I think) had a GATE in Falmart open up to an Aliens type setting they only barely shut in time. If that had happened on Earth, it could have been a global disaster. LoTR type stuff won't go well for Sauron...

Luckily, the Ginza Gate was used by an enemy severely ill-prepared to handle what was on the other side.

I'm thinking more on the final fantasy XIV. Garlemald comes in, with their magic'n'tech.

Back
Top Bottom