What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm wondering is it a good Idea to add politics in a series?

Sailorpizza

examples of this

Dub Lucoa: oh those pesky patriarchal social demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes.
Or
Prison School: You got a stick up your ass, or are you one of those dumbass GamerGate creepshows!

So just I'm wondering and a bit confused from many people try to add politics/feminist/social justice warrior agendas/propagandas on any different fictional franchises for some reason?

It depends...
So just I'm wondering and a bit confused from many people try to add politics/feminist/social justice warrior agendas/propagandas on any different fictional franchises for some reason?
Thing is fiction always had a political undertone (or, every so often) overtone) to them. HG Wells's now-famous War of the Worlds was a piece against colonialism and imperialism for example.

Either you read a piece of fiction ignoring or despite the dumbass politics the author may try to sneak in or focus on other pursuits.

Dont really think there can be any middle ground.

It depends...

Thing is fiction always had a political undertone (or, every so often) overtone) to them. HG Wells's now-famous War of the Worlds was a piece against colonialism and imperialism for example.

Oh alright thanks for the comment and i was just a bit confused about donald trump stuff in current marvel

Meet_ad2a76_5965908.jpg

I guess writers would have to do politics in a balanced way.

You'll find that most people like that will find a way to read in politics into a work. So you're always going to find some

That being said, avoid anything blatant, inserting real life politicians into a story like Trump or Hillary and bashing them is obviously too much.

That being said, avoid anything blatant, inserting real life politicians into a story like Trump or Hillary and bashing them is obviously too much.
That is rather hard, considering reality took a right turn to fiction-ville in 2016. :p

Problems usually come from activists, a very vocal fanatics incapable of reason that want to advance their political agenda from any means necessary without much of the thought put into it. And they see their political agenda everywhere, even where there isn't one. Number of those people in media increased dramatically, reviewers are often political, but now they started to take over creative processes as well. And ruin things. Because they aren't writers, they don't know anything about writings, or making story interesting, they don't know anything about the universe, or lore, they only care about agenda and see it everywhere, put it everywhere, even if it doesn't make sense in the context. Or never was there in the first place. And what is worse, when someone point out that story itself doesn't work, they can't comprehend bad writing, they see it as an attack on the agenda they believe they are advancing, as a result all discussion becomes political cesspool regardless if it was intended this way.
And this is "putting politics in fiction" these days.

It honestly depends on how well you execute it. Like forcing a political viewpoint like a lot of modern stuff does is just stupid. Being subtle is king.

Sure, just be open about it and let them know what you have in mind. Always did love Monarchy and the royal class ruling over peasantry.

Fictiob could always use might makes right from protagonist perspective.

examples of this

Dub Lucoa: oh those pesky patriarchal social demands were getting on my nerves, so I changed clothes.
Or
Prison School: You got a stick up your ass, or are you one of those dumbass GamerGate creepshows!

you ask a Supremely broad question but give a very very specific example.

There's a difference between expressing your politics and expressing your views and beliefs. The latter may well have a political lean, in fact I'd be surprised if it didn't, but you don't frame it in an obvious fashion. It falls under show don't tell, and all too often people like to tell us their political affiliations instead of demonstrating them through the characters.
Or I guess what is more accurate is they like to tell you the politics of a bunch of people they don't like is bad instead of showing why their system is good.

See- Communists.

Problems usually come from activists, a very vocal fanatics incapable of reason that want to advance their political agenda from any means necessary without much of the thought put into it. And they see their political agenda everywhere, even where there isn't one. Number of those people in media increased dramatically, reviewers are often political, but now they started to take over creative processes as well. And ruin things. Because they aren't writers, they don't know anything about writings, or making story interesting, they don't know anything about the universe, or lore, they only care about agenda and see it everywhere, put it everywhere, even if it doesn't make sense in the context. Or never was there in the first place. And what is worse, when someone point out that story itself doesn't work, they can't comprehend bad writing, they see it as an attack on the agenda they believe they are advancing, as a result all discussion becomes political cesspool regardless if it was intended this way.
Yeah...

Like, just go to sufficient velocity you'll see insanity there.

I agree with you and thank for answer

examples of this

Or

I know I'm late to the party, but to give my thoughts.

I've always thought that fiction, or at least popular fiction that is, always tends to 'swerve' around being blatantly political. This could be just me seeing too much into things. But whenever I see a movie, or watch anime (I don't read much TBH), it always feels that the authors always tend to be a bit too 'tip toey' in terms of whether or not they should include politics or not.

BUT, It is a definitely good idea to add politics to say, any fiction. And to be honest? I prefer people to be more blunt about their politics and not do it 'tactfully' or whatnot. It gets on my nerves whenever someone tip-toes around a political issue via fiction.

One example that I know of is this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075KNPZWG/ref=nav_timeline_asin?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Based on the summary, this book is very blatantly political, discusses about issues regarding portrayal of women in fiction, and holds no punches, I'm busy reading it so I'll get to you later on how the book handles itself, but based on the reviews. It looks quite good.

Cringe-worthy as it may be, anything that contributes to g*ymer genocide is a good thing in my book.

The problem is, when most people think "Politics in fiction", they think "THIS IS A METAPHOR FOR BREXIT AMIRITE!", and go "fuck that!"
when some one goes "fuck that" that usually means they wish they didn't hold that view internally and project that anger at the ones doing anything or then echoing fuck that

when some one goes "fuck that" that usually means they wish they didn't hold that view internally and project that anger at the ones doing anything or then echoing fuck that

It's more they are sick and tired of Brexit consuming their daily lives and go "fuck that!" When a show goes "BREXIT AMIRITE"

It's more they are sick and tired of Brexit consuming their daily lives and go "fuck that!" When a show goes "BREXIT AMIRITE"
avoiding realty like that is not a winning move, UK has been hours from collapse at times due to a pretty stark break from reality already, going further down that hole is only going to hurt people worse,

avoiding realty like that is not a winning move, UK has been hours from collapse at times due to a pretty stark break from reality already, going further down that hole is only going to hurt people worse,

So what do? Consume ourselves in perpetually corrosive bitterness as we turn daggers against one another at the first sign of trouble?

Never heard of George Orwell? Mary Shelley? William Shakespeare Hell, Homer?

Back
Top Bottom