What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian and Chinese soldiers injured in cross-border fistfight

Yeah, they'd kick off the Himalayan War. People take football (soccer for Americans) seriously here.
I was thinking more of Joyeux Noel, but...I guess a soccer-themed apocalyptic war between the two most populous nations on earth counts as 'differently'.

(Joyeux Noel is a movie about the true story of French and German soldiers in WWI who called a truce on Christmas to have a holiday celebration in No Man's Land, with gift exchange and pick-up soccer game. For the Christmas celebrators here it's a good viewing on Jesus' birthday.)

I was thinking more of Joyeux Noel, but...I guess a soccer-themed apocalyptic war between the two most populous nations on earth counts as 'differently'.

(Joyeux Noel is a movie about the true story of French and German soldiers in WWI who called a truce on Christmas to have a holiday celebration in No Man's Land, with gift exchange and pick-up soccer game. For the Christmas celebrators here it's a good viewing on Jesus' birthday.)

Too much bad blood between the Indian and Chinese soldiers stationed there for that kind of miracles.

That's assuming the missiles lift off successfully... I'm not very confident on obsolete technology :/
Nuclear weapons don't need very good technology to be highly destructive. A lot of old & crude missile designs were in fact specifically meant to rely on nuclear warheads to make up for their primitiveness.

Also, China isn't going to be interested in taking risks on that scale without a lot better reason than "well, maybe their missiles won't actually work". They aren't trying to win an argument on the internet, they have to worry about actual dead people.

Too much bad blood between the Indian and Chinese soldiers stationed there for that kind of miracles.

Shame about that. I mean, I'm a bit of a nationalist, in that I place the interests of my own country over and above the interests of other countries. But I don't have anything against the people of those other countries. (China, for instance, is a nation whose ascendance bodes nothing but ill for the US, imo. But I wish actual Chinese people well. No reason do dislike individuals just because of their membership in an opposing group.)

I'd kind of hoped that this was a bit similar, in that each side's soldiers want their nations to be on top, yet sort of see their cross-border counterparts as being in the same boat.

Oh well. I guess if they're throwing rocks and punches at each other over reasons of nationalism I guess that was out of the question.

Besides, they really want to do it like in Top Gun, shirtless volleyball. Totally not checking the other side out... officially.

"Remember everyone, we're here to have fun, but also to win. Good sportsmanship, but beat some ass. Now, we're all set, I think. The play area's cleared, the net is up. We've got a ball, we've got plenty of spray bottles full of baby oil. Ok, everyone take of their shirts and get greased up! Oh, and as always, NO HOMO!"

"Remember everyone, we're here to have fun, but also to win. Good sportsmanship, but beat some ass. Now, we're all set, I think. The play area's cleared, the net is up. We've got a ball, we've got plenty of spray bottles full of baby oil. Ok, everyone take of their shirts and get greased up! Oh, and as always, NO HOMO!"
*chanting*

NO! HOMO!
NO! HOMO!

*chanting continues*

This turned out rather outdated, I suppose. 20 dead on our side, and no idea about the Chinese. But Pompeo was very eager to give (probably inflated, since the man is a crook) number of Chinese casualties and China to not mention them, so I guess it was about the same.

Quite irrelevant though. This was....a rather pointless affair. I wonder what China is thinking with these pointless shenanigans.

This turned out rather outdated, I suppose. 20 dead on our side, and no idea about the Chinese. But Pompeo was very eager to give (probably inflated, since the man is a crook) number of Chinese casualties and China to not mention them, so I guess it was about the same.

Quite irrelevant though. This was....a rather pointless affair. I wonder what China is thinking with these pointless shenanigans.
Reminding who's boss, maybe.

Reminding who's boss, maybe.
I wouldn't put posturing past China, considering it is China.

But no, that can't be it. India has not recently made any moves on Chinese territory, except the parts they keep claiming, and this incursion was more like their typical encroachments but with less control.

This is quite absurd. Why is Beijing ticking off every local power at the same time? A cyberattack on Australia, encroachment on India, diplomatic blustering against the US, threatening Hong Kong at this time.....

Deng must be rolling in his grave. China is pulling an Imperial Germany here.

I wouldn't put posturing past China, considering it is China.

But no, that can't be it. India has not recently made any moves on Chinese territory, except the parts they keep claiming, and this incursion was more like their typical encroachments but with less control.

This is quite absurd. Why is Beijing ticking off every local power at the same time? A cyberattack on Australia, encroachment on India, diplomatic blustering against the US, threatening Hong Kong at this time.....

Deng must be rolling in his grave. China is pulling an Imperial Germany here.
The US is becoming less and less relevant, so reminding the minor powers like India and Australia who's boss is a decent way to make sure they don't get stupid ideas. China isn't Imperial Germany, because there's noone to beat it here and everyone knows it. TBH, it's pretty obvious both Australia and India will roll over, knowing China has total superiority in the area and even an US alliance isn't worth the paper it's written on, these days.

Even the USN is pretty afraid of going into Chinese waters, so Australia and India? Bugs on the windshield.

The US is becoming less and less relevant, so reminding the minor powers like India and Australia who's boss is a decent way to make sure they don't get stupid ideas. China isn't Imperial Germany, because there's noone to beat it here and everyone knows it. TBH, it's pretty obvious both Australia and India will roll over, knowing China has total superiority in the area and even an US alliance isn't worth the paper it's written on, these days.

Even the USN is pretty afraid of going into Chinese waters, so Australia and India? Bugs on the windshield.

You never fail to amaze me, Rufus.

With that said, the US sending 3 ACs west must have, on some level, rattled them. It would explain the rapid deescalation followed by trying to make peace. Trump has escalated to a level where we may honestly be looking at Cuban Missile Crisis 2.0, except without the nukes.

You never fail to amaze me, Rufus.

With that said, the US sending 3 ACs west must have, on some level, rattled them. It would explain the rapid deescalation followed by trying to make peace. Trump has escalated to a level where we may honestly be looking at Cuban Missile Crisis 2.0, except without the nukes.
And the US will do what? Blockade China? Effing lol, mate, because noone will side with the US in this. Then there's the 'small issue' that having three CVBG doing hostile actions near China would lead to live reports of the carriers sinking.

You're delusional if you think China is like Cuba.

And the US will do what? Blockade China? Effing lol, mate, because noone will side with the US in this. Then there's the 'small issue' that having three CVBG doing hostile actions near China would lead to live reports of the carriers sinking.

You're delusional if you think China is like Cuba.
Neither was the USSR, which was the real antagonist to the West during the 62 crisis.

Thankfully, that event ended peacefully. Hopefully so will this one. A hot war between China and the US will destroy the world economy regardless of who wins.

Neither was the USSR, which was the real antagonist to the West during the 62 crisis.

Thankfully, that event ended peacefully. Hopefully so will this one. A hot war between China and the US will destroy the world economy regardless of who wins.
Oh boy, you somehow think the US could have blockaded the USSR directly now? Because that's what blockading China would mean, except that China trades a lot more with everyone else. Stop being silly and go educate yourself.

Tom Cooper, an author and aviation expert, expressed his surprise that the Indian air force reportedly wants Su-30s and MiG-29s to meet its emergency requirement for a couple squadrons worth of jets. The Su-30, while seemingly impressive on paper, lacks performance and combat capability compared to Western models.

"Your air force has got 200 to 250 Su-30s," Cooper pointed out on Facebook. "Still, when you want to bomb a terrorist gang in the neighboring country, you need almost 40-year-old Mirage 2000s, instead."

Cooper was referring to the February 2019 clash between Indian and Pakistani forces over disputed Kashmir, roughly in the same region where Indian and Chinese troops would collide more than a year later.

Indian Air Force Mirage 2000s initiated the combat with a precision strike on a suspected terrorist base inside Pakistani territory. Pakistan responded with F-16s. When the dust settled, the Indians had lost a single MiG-21 fighter.

Those same Mirage 2000s had been decisive during an earlier conflict in Kashmir back in 1999. India's Russian-made fighters had struggled to strike Pakistani bases high in the mountains. But a single coordinated strike by Mirage 2000s hauling Litening camera pods and laser-guided bombs succeeded in knocking out a key Pakistani headquarters.

"In these attacks, the target was acquired through the Litening pod's electro-optical imaging sensor at about nine miles out, with weapons release occurring at a slant range of about five miles and the aircraft then turning away while continuing to mark the target with a laser spot," Air Force Magazine noted in 2012.

Cooper's point is that, for decades, the Mirage 2000 has been a more effective fighter in Indian service than the Su-30 has been. The Rafale, the French-made successor to the Mirage, likewise is among India's better fighters. But the country has ordered just 36 Rafales.
The Su-30 not only lacks the latest precision air-to-ground ordnance, it doesn't perform well from the high-altitude air bases that support Indian operations along the so-called "Line of Actual Control," the border between Indian and Chinese forces in the Himalayas. Diplomats drew that line as part of truce talks following a bitter, bloody border war in 1962.

It should be obvious. Indian firm HAL builds the Su-30s under license in India. Buying Sukhois funnels Indian money to Indian companies. Although, as Cooper pointed out, with adequate political will India could license the Rafale, too.

"The experiences of last year should've brought the Indians to their senses," Cooper said. "They could've bought more Rafales."
lol

China was won all of its wars except with Russia, Japan and Mongolia (the latter two it later came back and won against). India's past is... a LOT more checkered. A LOT.

India was a colony at one point. I don't recall if China ever was, at least not all of it unlike India.

lel guys.

They both have nukes and the means to deliver them.

End of story.

Can China take India in a limited war?

Sure, any day of the week.

War to the hilt though?

nah,
Well no shit, there aren't any winners in a nuclear war... lol

China was won all of its wars except with Russia, Japan and Mongolia (the latter two it later came back and won against). India's past is... a LOT more checkered. A LOT.

India was a colony at one point. I don't recall if China ever was, at least not all of it unlike India.
Mate, century of humiliation. Am I the only one here who reads history?

Not that it matters in any way, considering that both forces have undergone restructuring since the last few decades. India after 62 since the colonial remnant proved insufficient, and China literally all the time since their military records.......well, the Chinese military has historically performed the best in civil wars.

Their talents lie in more useful spheres than merely the military.

Well no shit, there aren't any winners in a nuclear war... lol
Don't worry. We aren't the US. We don't use nukes for any little thing.

That's the Qing Dynasty and Republic of China, not the People's Republic of China. Read your histories with more attention to detail, yeah?
I did. Hence why I know the only wars they have "won" are the times they surprise attacked with a ridiculous troop advantage and the other side decided escalation wasn't worth it.

And they also lost the war in Sikkim, lost against Vietnam, had their counter invasion of SK very decisively crushed, and since then have been sitting with their thumbs in the air.

So as I said, pardon me if I don't take them particularly seriously as compared to their *economy*, which will absolutely certainly crush India like a Jack Russel terrier against a bullet train....if it ever turns into a hot war, god forbid.

lel guys.

They both have nukes and the means to deliver them.

End of story.

Can China take India in a limited war?

Sure, any day of the week.

War to the hilt though?

nah,
It is VERY discutable that India has the means to deliver these weapons. Their air force part of the triad wouldn't get through, while they have exactly one hilariously shitty SSBN that is likely to be sunk in the opening hours. Remain the IRBM, which are vulnerable by definition.

India only exists as a unified state due to having been part of the British Empire. Before that it was a collection of smaller kingdoms and so on.

China absolutely has been "colonized" during it's history, in part or in whole. It was for a time part of the Mongol Empire, for example.

Oh and...
438px-China_imperialism_cartoon.jpg

It is VERY discutable that India has the means to deliver these weapons. Their air force part of the triad wouldn't get through, while they have exactly one hilariously shitty SSBN that is likely to be sunk in the opening hours. Remain the IRBM, which are vulnerable by definition.

Not good.
The more vulnerable a country's nuclear deterrent is, the more of a "use it or lose it" situation they would themselves in, should serious war become likely.

But as for sinking an Indian SSBN, what assets does the PLAN have to do that with? The Indian Ocean's not quite within their normal reach.

Back
Top Bottom