What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian and Chinese soldiers injured in cross-border fistfight

But as for sinking an Indian SSBN, what assets does the PLAN have to do that with? The Indian Ocean's not quite within their normal reach.
Mate, please... Although they do not possess the capabilities of the USN, the Indian Ocean is within their reach. They can use their subs and ships to hunt it and, as their capabilities increase over time, will be able to deploy larger forces there.

It's already happening. Hell, we've noticed an increase — minimal overall but still an increase — of their presence in the Med... Which is basically *our* own turf.

The Indian Ocean is of paramount importance to their interests. If you really believe they don't have the capability to eliminate India's SSBN and won't develop it, you're delusional. Not only they have the capability to ensure regular deployments in the Indian Ocean but they're going to develop it further. And they can do so much more faster than India. India is already struggling to keep its head out of the water, let's not even consider keeping up with them...

Mind you, I would gladly welcome an India finally willing to do the necessary for its economic development, population, corruption,... And be capable of ensuring a good balance of interest in Asia, doing its part for international peace. Theorically, they have all the resources. They "just" need a better government willing to do the proper reforms, stop the nationalist BS, and actually get to work to improve the country. It's sad to see wasted potential. I sincerely hope that one day they will get better. An India we can rely on and work with on a deeper, trustworthy level.

Last edited:
Not good.
The more vulnerable a country's nuclear deterrent is, the more of a "use it or lose it" situation they would themselves in, should serious war become likely.

But as for sinking an Indian SSBN, what assets does the PLAN have to do that with? The Indian Ocean's not quite within their normal reach.
The PLAN does have SSN, which are improving pretty quickly in quality and number, definitely, while India has exactly one SSN being leased by Russia.

The point, Mr Duck, is that in a comparison between the military power of two different countries, counting only what one country already has while for the other country including stuff they have yet to actually build, let alone deploy, is skewed arguing.

If you want to take China's future capabilities into account, you must do the same for India's.

The point, Mr Duck, is that in a comparison between the military power of two different countries, counting only what one country already has while for the other country including stuff they have yet to actually build, let alone deploy, is skewed arguing.

If you want to take China's future capabilities into account, you must do the same for India's.
Issue is, with China, future capabilities eventually become present while India's future capabilities tend to remain eternally in the future. I linked Tejas as an example of what they end up having when they claim things.

Remember, Tejas is the thing on which Doc_Holliday and I agreed upon in great shared hilarity.

Issue is, with China, future capabilities eventually become present while India's future capabilities tend to remain eternally in the future. I linked Tejas as an example of what they end up having when they claim things.

Remember, Tejas is the thing on which Doc_Holliday and I agreed upon in great shared hilarity.

Bear in mind though, that we probably have more open information about the shortcomings of IAF hardware than about the Chinese stuff.

Bear in mind though, that we probably have more open information about the shortcomings of IAF hardware than about the Chinese stuff.
Chinese hardware flies in less than 30-40 years. The level of incompetence of Indian military procurement has no Chinese equivalent.

Chinese hardware flies in less than 30-40 years. The level of incompetence of Indian military procurement has no Chinese equivalent.

Well, it probably does, from time to time, but such people's careers would tend to end rather shortly and sharply, with a bang, if you take my meaning.

Well, it probably does, from time to time, but such people's careers would tend to end rather shortly and sharply, with a bang, if you take my meaning.
Or, you know, China isn't the caricature of James Bond villains some wanna portray it as, and a quite more developed and organized country with a strong engineering and scientific corps as well as proper methodology.

Or, you know, China isn't the caricature of James Bond villains some wanna portray it as, and a quite more developed and organized country with a strong engineering and scientific corps as well as proper methodology.

None of which is incompatible with giving people the death penalty for corruption. Which is a thing the PRC does.

None of which is incompatible with giving people the death penalty for corruption. Which is a thing the PRC does.
For corruption, yes. Not for incompetence, though setting up a level of systemic incompetence similar to the one in the Indian MIC would probably lead to the firing squad in China.

Back
Top Bottom