What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Infantry-scale Electro-magnet/Directed Energy weapons, are they more safe or dangerous for the User?

HeavyArmor

Trust me, I'm a Tech-Priest
Author
So a thought (or should I say question) occur to me when I was watching Ian Mccollum of Forgotten Weapons handling the GR-1 "Anvil" Gauss Rifle on a gun match...

So when the technology for Infantry-scale Electro-magnet-accelerated and/or Directed-Energy Weapons had mature to the point of reliably deploy in the battlefield and have equivalent "killing potential" or "destructive potential" as chemical-propelled projectile Firearms.

Would the these EM/DEW in the hands of infantry grunts, be safer or dangerous to handle compared to chemical-propellant Firearms of the same tech-level?

And by safety I don't mean a dumbass pointing the muzzle at his eye for "inspection" or "dry firing" when bored.

I'm more curious as to the handling safety aspects and potential catastrophic failures compared to, maybe handling procedures of modern firearms?

Well it depends... if you are using a microwave weapon (like a radar, which actually fits in that category), if it suddenly gives off a sudden strong pulse and you are right in the path of that pulse, you either get some very bad burns and potentially boiled alive. Try sticking your hand in a microwave to get an idea. Part of the issue is that if there's a huge electric surge in the system and

With laser weapons, you probably won't get much of a problem, since it's unlikely you are get a huge flash of light if the crystal like cracks or something.

I'm more curious as to the handling safety aspects and potential catastrophic failures compared to, maybe handling procedures of modern firearms?
A modern firearm is very safe. I don't see any reason why a mature EM system would be any less so.

I mean a chemical gun can explode in your face so an electric gun can electrocute you. But in both cases the reason would be user error.

It heavily depends on the circumstances, to be honest. Like if you overdo it with your powder means that you can turn your round into a mini-bomb. Or, to use WH40k, treat your plasma gun badly (i.e. use it as a club, let the heat get into the red, don't give it proper maintenance, the like) and it'll blow up in your face.

Back
Top Bottom