What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Iran's General Soleimani killed in airstrike at Baghdad airport

At least the US is deescalating.

...deescalating planes filled with 3,500 troops as a quick response group into Kuwait, and from there into secret deployments.

The 600 mostly young soldiers at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, were headed for the Middle East, part of a group of some 3,500 U.S. paratroopers ordered to the region. Kuwait is the first stop for many. Their final destinations are classified.

"We're going to war, bro," one cheered, holding two thumbs up and sporting a grin under close-shorn red hair. He stood among dozens of soldiers loading trucks outside a cinder-block building housing several auditoriums with long benches and tables.

Days after President Donald Trump ordered the drone killing of Iranian military commander Qassem Soleimani, raising fears of fresh conflict in the Middle East, the men and women of the U.S. Army's storied 82nd Airborne Division are moving out in the largest "fast deployment" since the 2010 Haiti earthquake.

At least Trumpy is consistent. After more than 15,000 confirmed lies it would have seemed odd if at some point he actually told the truth, especially about something as big as leaving the Middle East and stopping the endless wars there. One big truth could undermine his entire reputation!

To be slightly fair to Fox, here's a take:

Sometimes I wonder how Tucker even has a job at Fox. Though he seems to ignore the potential implication to international relations generally (not just in ME), etc., he's still right to call BS on this.

Tucker is consistent in being inconsistent. Usually he is "get out of Middle East at all costs", but then he will whiplash into insane partisan conspiracies.

In the eyes of 'Murica the matter is dealt with. Just like with a corporation with a gag order on their settlements, the government gave away some money without acknowledging any responsibility in the matter. By taking the money they think that Iran is now obliged to forget that anything ever happened, and maybe they could show a bit of gratitude for that payoff.
Well, even if they don't admit it, the simple fact that they paid money…

So supposedly part of the Iraqi government is now starting to regret that vote calling for US troops to leave, as Canada and some European countries have used this as a chance to withdraw their own troops and the fear among other things foreign investment into Iraq going way down with the withdraw of of foreign troops and that the fight to keep ISIS cells in Western Iraq suppressed is going to be negatively affected due to the loss of logistical support, air support and the training of Iraqi soldiers.

Well, even if they don't admit it, the simple fact that they paid money…
It is treated as a final transaction. People died, families got money to pay for those dead people, now the families/government/whoever supposedly are not allowed to still feel upset.

The US as a society has become very obsessed with lawsuits, thinking that money is the solution. Once the trial/mediation is over the matter is considered final, and if you still feel bad you need to get over it. Emotions don't work that way, but it is hard for some people to consider that a foreign country might not view the death of hundreds of their citizens as being a concluded transaction, and that for them the matter may still be an open wound.

Then again, there is always the "remember Pearl Harbor" and this "there were 52 hostages decades ago" sort of thing in the states, so nothing is ever truly over (pretty sure that "The South Will Rise Again" is still a thing in some places). It is only bad to hang onto a vendetta if it is in a foreign country.
That seems a bit incongruous with all the other reports. It seems much more likely that they just want the US out so they can't start a war, and that other national forces are still welcome.

Then again, this is one of those articles that is based entirely upon an anonymous source supposedly close to the PM. I wouldn't give it a lot of weight until more reliable reports appear.

Missile attacks on US base. At least 20 dead so far according to sources (have not confirmed casualties yet, but possibility is high).

EDIT:

Sure doesn't look like a hoax. This is the opening of a new, fucking ugly, chapter.

Last edited:
tumblr_n2gbplv1Uz1qfsdpfo3_250.gifv

tumblr_n2gbplv1Uz1qfsdpfo4_250.gifv

tumblr_n2gbplv1Uz1qfsdpfo7_250.gifv

Perfectly appropriate? :p

Last edited:

This seems fitting cause at this point because I honestly can't see deescalation being possible anymore.

This seems fitting cause at this point because I honestly can't see deescalation being possible anymore.
Which seems like a rational reading of the situation. But since we are not in a rational world any more we get:

"Nah, no war from us, we just wanted to respond to your assassination."

Which lead the temperamental retarded toddler-brain to say:

"Everything is fine! Have a good night, sleep well!"

I'm pretty sure that someone hid the nuclear launch codes and told the giant Oompa Loompa that a proportionate response is not turning Iran into glass and ash. Or maybe he was drugged and replaced with a robot programmed to behave itself lest the love of its non-life, the document shredder, will be slowly disassembled before its robo-eyes. Because this is almost a properly diplomatic response.

That, and the fact that he is a bully and a coward who got popped in the nose. Nobody is willing to jump in and save him (he has already faced some major resignations after his threats of war crimes), so he is forced to back down since he can't fight for himself. Also possible.

...or I wake up to find myself in a nuclear wasteland because he nuked Canada instead. Trudeau did Mean Girls him after all. I really don't know any more.

And of course this happened at the end of the night. The plane was very recent, so I give it even-odds chances that Iran just did its very own USS Vincennes incident. 180 dead.

There's a lot of irony if it were a Vincennes incident, and it's involving a Ukrainian airline of all things.

Especially with the president of Iran invoking the memory of Air Flight 655 yesterday.

Apparently no casualties. Iran was flexing and making a point, not escalating.

Of course it gets stupider. Trumpy and his cohorts are pandering to their base by threatening even more sanctions, which by my accounting is already at around 800%, so I doubt that will be changing beyond more fear-mongering, warmongering, and possibly fish-mongering (as well as previously undiscovered forms of mongering).

At the same time they are saying that they need a deal to make sure that Iran does not get nuclear weapons (like the one they tore up... because Obama). Then back to the threats of how they will stay in the ME to meddle and encourage NATO to do the same, blatantly ignoring Iraq's "get out" order. Iran has also stated that they want the US out of the region and will consider forcing the issue in the future, so things remain stupid for everone.

For some reason he also goes "we don't need their oil anyway". Which should be good, because the current strategy of defend the oil/we can take all the oil we want was quite stupid. But the fact that the subject even came up in regards to an attack on military bases means that we sadly did not get a robotic doppelganger after all.

Apparently no casualties. Iran was flexing and making a point, not escalating.

Of course it gets stupider. Trumpy and his cohorts are pandering to their base by threatening even more sanctions, which by my accounting is already at around 800%, so I doubt that will be changing beyond more fear-mongering, warmongering, and possibly fish-mongering (as well as previously undiscovered forms of mongering).

At the same time they are saying that they need a deal to make sure that Iran does not get nuclear weapons (like the one they tore up... because Obama). Then back to the threats of how they will stay in the ME to meddle and encourage NATO to do the same, blatantly ignoring Iraq's "get out" order. Iran has also stated that they want the US out of the region and will consider forcing the issue in the future, so things remain stupid for everone.

For some reason he also goes "we don't need their oil anyway". Which should be good, because the current strategy of defend the oil/we can take all the oil we want was quite stupid. But the fact that the subject even came up in regards to an attack on military bases means that we sadly did not get a robotic doppelganger after all.

Whoremongering.

When you speak of Trump never forget the whoremongering.

Whoremongering.

When you speak of Trump never forget the whoremongering.
It fits.

She doesn't want to be called an ex-hooker, so just call her a hooker. Or the whore to be mongered as it were.

In other news, the Iranian counterpoint to Trumpy's lame and high-as-fuck speech was to drop a couple of rockets into the Green Zone. Just to make sure that the "standing down" narrative is seen as the complete bullshit it is, and as a personal insult to Agent Orange (or whatever that fucking horrid color he currently is).

Do not call any woman that is not a hooker, a hooker. Second do not ever call a woman a whore or a whore to be mongered. This is the one and only warning that will be given on this matter.

Well, this news is "fun".
Mr. Trump, after the strike, told associates he was under pressure to deal with Gen. Soleimani from GOP senators he views as important supporters in his coming impeachment trial in the Senate, associates said.
While starting a war for a distraction remains a possibility, we now know that this was done to shore up support among the warhawks for the impeachment trial.

No clip yet, but...

The last few days this whole "imminent attack" thing completely fallen apart. At one point Trumpy says that there was going to be an attack on an embassy, then it became four embassies (all of that planning somehow thwarted by taking out one man :rolleyes: ).

Republicans call bullshit:
"They're appearing before a co-equal branch of government responsible for their funding, for their confirmation, for any approval of any military action they might undertake. They had to leave after 75 minutes, while they were in the process of telling us that we need to be good little boys and girls and run along and not debate this in public. I find that absolutely insane. I think it's unacceptable."
"They were asked repeatedly, what, if anything, would trigger the need for the administration to come back to Congress for a declaration of war or an Authorization for the Use of Military Force," Lee added. "At one point, I believe one of the briefers said something like, "I'm sure we can think of something." But they struggled to identify anything."
Oh, and the answer to the people authorized to handle critical intelligence while they are in a shielded room is "we can't tell you that, it's classified".

Everyone knew that the entire argument of imminence was bullshit, but Trumpy had to tell those lies to the people and to the other branches of the government. So now they are frantically going around making new lies that contradict each other while pretending they have actual evidence, and going "nuh-uh" to every report that they did this for purely partisan political reasons.

*Shrug*

Weapons of mass destruction deja vu anyone?
At least they had 9/11 that allowed people who were angry and hurt to turn a blind eye to the situation. The intelligence agencies were bobbing their heads saying that it was totally true, and the legislative branch had a chance to see what was happening (even if the reports were all fake).

Here there are a few partisans saying "hey, we totally have proof, but we can't tell anyone" and there was no actual attack beyond "a contractor died a few weeks ago, and this guy was bad, so we thought that we had to stop the next attack which would probably happen eventually".

Anyway, we see what happens when millions of people are conned into thinking that a know liar can be trusted to change his ways and start to tell the truth once in office. If they were so easily fooled then, the moron will probably get reelected and the world pays for their ignorance.

Not like I'm complaining. The eventual snap back to the left will over-correct into something better. Maybe a nice communist revolution.

EDIT: And maybe Soleimani owed him money
The US government made the unprecedented move to blacklist another country's military because, Mr Trump said, the IRGC "actively participates in, finances, and promotes terrorism as a tool of statecraft".
But according to a 2017 report by the New Yorker, the Trump Organization signed contracts in 2012 with developers to build a skyscraper in Azerbaijan that appeared "to be a corrupt operation engineered by oligarchs tied to Iran's Revolutionary Guard".
The Trump Tower Baku project carried some classic hallmarks of a money-laundering operation, including firms being paid in cash, some of which was transferred in duffel bags.

Classic "I know for a fact that he is a criminal because I was his partner in crime!".

Last edited:
Iraq is now officially occupied.

I sure hope that the rest of NATO gets the fuck out before they are drawn into this. Partisans and Iraqi patriots now have freedom to fight back against the invaders, and the Iraqi government that the US set up to rule their own country are now within their rights to accept this as an act of war.

But at least the dipshit 'Muricans can beat their chests about how manly they are to stand up to those Iraqis who want them to get out. How dare they tell anyone that unilaterally bombing ministers of foreign governments in their own country is somehow bad. :rolleyes:

Maybe this will utterly fracture NATO. But who knows? The Western Europeans (excepting the UK) are less keen to get drawn into the quagmire but the Eastern and Central Europeans might be willing to buddy up the US.

Back
Top Bottom