What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

James Webb Satellite Telescope.

DukeofDawn

So the date has been set:

"The process should take about two hours. Launch is set for 25 December 12:20 GMT/13:20 CET "

If this fails for whatever reasons during the launch that would be a massive loss of credibilty on the ESA side .

But i'll have to pray that everything goes smoothly.

Thoughts on this?

So the date has been set:

"The process should take about two hours. Launch is set for 25 December 12:20 GMT/13:20 CET "

If this fails for whatever reasons during the launch that would be a massive loss of credibilty on the ESA side .

But i'll have to pray that everything goes smoothly.

Thoughts on this?
I blame the English.

I blame the English.

I would like to do so and get away with it as well, but i don't think it's going to cut it.

Although on the good side, we only have to worry about sending it into space.
Whatever happen after that is no longer our fault, so there's that.

By the way, Rufus, i know it's a bit late but JOYEUX NOEL A TOI.
You have my best wish for the rest of the year
And beyond.

Last edited:
If some shitte happen, we can blame the English at the UN and get a landslide vote in favour, so there we go.

Well yes, but that's going to be very few wriggling room.

And i also wouldn't like for Arianne 5 to have a major ( but ultimately insignificant blunder considering it's safety record) blunder on it's history record.

It's no longer our fucking problem! Sure, it'd be good if everything else works, but we did our job correctly.

I think the worst part now is that if there's something wrong with the telescope, not sure if the secret Dynasoar can even go up there to fix the telescope.

I think the worst part now is that if there's something wrong with the telescope, not sure if the secret Dynasoar can even go up there to fix the telescope.
Now? Yeah, it's on its own. If everything does go well and JWST lives up to its promises, it's likely some service vehicle will be designed to refuel it at L2 and possibly do some maintenance, but nothing for sure until it gets there.

Now? Yeah, it's on its own. If everything does go well and JWST lives up to its promises, it's likely some service vehicle will be designed to refuel it at L2 and possibly do some maintenance, but nothing for sure until it gets there.

So, as i was not able to find an answer online, do you have an idea of what was concretly gained from this? like, what does 10% of funding allows you to negotiate?

As well as actual acess to collected datas?
Could you elaborate , or tell (if you what) what do you think the ESA will get out of this, that will give them an advantage over others cocurrent?
The term is "time-sharing". People pay to use the telescope and they are charged by the hour. But in general, this is complicated by how much initial investment the various parties put into the project and the ones with the most investment generally have the greatest say on how many hours are given. It essentially can get very political, which was why the US is now in a bad position when it comes to large particle accelerators because the stark majority of US accelerators are shut down and the LHC is the only big game in town.

As Solarion said. ESA will for example probably have the final say on the telescope's use for X percent of its entire life, will have had some input in its design (various of its main sensors were designed and built in Europe). Beyond this, quid for pro arrangements can be done beyond JWST like having access to data or being able to piggyback stuff on other missions like getting ESA sensors on Mars rovers, etc.

toughgang.gif

Oh, and the launch went so well, that Webb's mission will last at least twice what was expacted.

Oh, and the launch went so well, that Webb's mission will last at least twice what was expacted.

Sounds like they'd not planned on everything going perfectly.

It's a space launch, you expect it to go withing the expected parameters, and you set at first your expectations to the lowest. In this case, Ariane 6's trajectory was so good, that James Webb won't have much, if any, trajectory corrections to do by itself, as thus saving its fuel reserves.

Back
Top Bottom