What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Last movie you watched.

Senmut

Author
MIne was The Enforcer, 1950. With Humphrey Bogart.

Thor: Love and Thunder, 2022. With Natalie Portman and Christian Bale.

a forgettable movie. I actually wanted to say, Topgun II but I did watch something after it.

Why forgettable?

Why forgettable?
donno, I forgot I saw it.

I did see LA Confidential 1997 last night. With Danny Devito, Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, Russel Crow, and Kim Basinger.
Quite a starcrossed production.
That is a fun movie. It wasn't the first time I have seen it. Still an interesting late-night TV offering. The commercial breaks made it into a 3-hour viewing and I still watched it from beginning to the end.

1984, which was Richard Burton's last film. Prophetic, but depressing.

Again something I re-watched on late-night TV.

Seksmisja (1983)
Directed by Juliusz Machulski, Staring Jerzy Stuhr.

The only good Sci-Fi movie ever made in Poland*. It has a cult following.

The year is 2044 and after WWIII, only women living in underground bunkers have survived.
Two men who in 1991 have undertaken a hibernation experiment are dug up by archeologists.
It is a lighthearted comedy about the end of the world.
It takes on some heavy themes and still got past the censorship.

*Yes it is, fight me!

I just now watched "Shadow in the Cloud"
a 2020 movie about a woman manning the ball turret of a B-17 bomber.

The movie was weird.

I picked the movie out because thriller/suspense drama inside a ball turret sounds like something I would enjoy.

Also...
How in the name of Allah can you mess up aerial photography?!?
There are 3 dimensions, constant movement, clearly defied rules, and the shit looks gorgeous without trying to be.
There were air combat scenes in this. They sucked!!!eleven!!one!
Turns out an Aichi E13A can exceed its top speed in a vertical climb.

And no one can tell me that making interesting air-combat footage is hard, or expensive. You can take the late 1990s or an early 2000s video game and make it there.
I would not mind, and you would get a better scene than the shit the movie served.

Then again this movie had some good bits. So I guess I enjoyed about 20 minutes out of the 1 hour 23 minutes 22 seconds run time.

I watched that in one of my college classes. Good movie.

I watched that in one of my college classes. Good movie.
Yep. I watched it again because I recently watched — "endured" would be more appropriate — the TV show Colony and one scene made me remember the movie.

The Train, 1964. Burt Lancaster & Paul Scofield.

The Train, 1964. Burt Lancaster & Paul Scofield.

Excellent movie.

I'd also suggest The Train/Le Train 1973. It's for the most part in French and in somewhat different genre. Still excellent movie. If nothing else Romy Schneider alone makes it worth watching.

For old school Hollywood I'd also recommend Von Ryan Express. Which surprised me.

Black Adam. 2022.

I don't know why people say it's good.
Same reason why Dwayne Johnson is considered a good actor.

Last edited:
For old school Hollywood I'd also recommend Von Ryan Express. Which surprised me.
Yes. I remember first seeing part of it, as a kid. It was on a double feature at the local theatre, with Disney's The Jungle Book. Go figure. Interesting to see Sinatra in a part where he isn't singing. And Edward Mulhare was funny.

Movies I watched this year:

King of Comedy
The only movie not from this year, on Disney+. Watched it because people said that 2019 Joker was greatly inspired by it, and I have to say Rupert Pupkin is much more insane than Phoenix's Joker.

Uncharted
Bland on all front. They managed to make the iconic cargo plane scene of the franchise boring.

The Batman
I very much like this version of Batman that is much more disheveled and inexperienced, compared to the borderline mary sue he is written as in most depiction. Also best take on the Riddler yet, the movie is PG-13 but they really did their work in pushing that limit.

Everything Everywhere All at Once
Heartfelt family drama mixed with a genuinely very good action choreography that experiments with a lot of style. The humor is also hilarious it but I think people older than me would probably find it rather juvenile.

Nope
Terrifying sci-fi horror that played it straight like old sci-fi horror, just a bunch of people vs an alien terror out for blood. And even then the movie is still more than that meet the eyes and made me think about its theme outside the theater. Legitimately made me afraid of apes.

Shin Ultraman
I'm definitely not the target audience for this movie, it's basically a tribute to the Ultraman franchise and most of the references just flew over my head. Hideki Anno did well in showing off his specialty in crafting giant critters fighting around power lines in the greater Tokyo area.

The Menu
Absolutely hilarious and absurd dark comedy that took a stupid premise and put 100% effort into making it work. They just kept pushing the envelope on how silly the plot with how serious they took it, is until they tops it off with a comically hokey ending that worked by sheer great acting alone.

I said it in the thread but yeah, honestly I think it's too long and I quite simply does not care for the special effect spectacle. I do not care about the drama and characters at all, but Cameron flexed his action movie credentials here and those intense action setpieces I felt made the 3 hour runtime worthwhile.

Last edited:
Top gun Maverick.

Great film . Watched it with my daughter who never seen the first one. Thought the first half was just them wasting tax payers money. Misson was thrilling though.

Annihilation (2018)

Tried it on a whim and honestly thought it was pretty good. The story wasn't as good as some movies of the same sort of style (e.g. Arrival) but the creatures and environments were absolutely beautifully designed. The film screams symbolism the entire time (a quick Google search said Is symbolised cancer, which in hindsight is kinda obvious). I can't decide whether or not I want to kiss or punch the sound designer as that bear thing that is shown in the trailer will haunt my dreams.

I'd give it an 8/10.

I went on a little movie binge...

Everything Everywhere all at once. 2022

Starring Micheal Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis.
Quite interesting, if far more vulgar in places than I expected.
Also, I think I got spoiled by the superb choreography of Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies. This movie is not on the same level. Still a serviceable action flick with an interesting concept.
It is quite upbeat I would say. It sort of subverts the surface portrait of nihilism. If nothing matters let's have fun together as we go along.

The Menu. 2022

Starring Ralph Finnes.
This thing came at me out of nowhere. I was actually intrigued by what was going on.
Not going to spoil it.
It deserves a wholehearted recommendation. The genre is horror, but it is not graphic, so an artsy fartsy horror done well.

Cold Mountain. 2003

This movie has so many excellent actors in, it's hard to count. Even bit parts are more star-crossed than some whole movies.
This thing was falsely advertised to me as a war movie about the Siege of Petersburg in the US civil war. That part was only about one-sixth of the movie.
IMDB lists this as Adventure Drama Romance. That is again false advertisement, it is a war drama. In the sense, it is a drama about war and the people that suffer through it, those who suffer are the civilians and not the soldiers for the most part.
The closest I can link this to Der Untergang. Short version is; War is Hell.

Triangle of Sadness. 2022.
This is sort of strange. It rehashes tropes that have been present in fiction for quite a long time. The running theme is the shittiness of human spirit. It paints a very bleak picture of humanity. Someone called it a modern take on Orwell's "Lord of the Flies" with "Animal Farm" added in. Yeah ok, I can see that. But this is a dark comedy.

Soldier 1998

Starring Kurt Russel.
This is a re-watch for me. Still an excellent Sci-Fi action flick. The running theme is the dehumanization of an individual by the military. Action is good. It is not a very deep movie, but what it does it does well.

Puss in Boots: the Last Wish

Watched it because of my fondness of the first two Shreks. Turns out to be much better than expected, great and very "anime"-esque action scenes. The plot is very simplistic with all the plot beats of modern animated movie but it works with a cast of entertaining characters.

The Shrek franchise fell apart because it morphed into unironic kids movie when it started out as an off beat adult parody of children fairy tales, but in this movie I think they're returning back to its root.

M3gan

another AI is evil story. Nothing groundbreaking but a fun diversion. If there was some big name attached to this movie it would likely be a big hit.
Worth a watch.

Everything Everywhere all at once. 2022

Starring Micheal Yeoh and Jamie Lee Curtis.
Quite interesting, if far more vulgar in places than I expected.
Also, I think I got spoiled by the superb choreography of Jackie Chan and Jet Li movies. This movie is not on the same level. Still a serviceable action flick with an interesting concept.
It is quite upbeat I would say. It sort of subverts the surface portrait of nihilism. If nothing matters let's have fun together as we go along.

Et tu, Marek ? Really !?

I found it to be a mess of a movie in pretty much every way. It's like they had a kernel of an idea here then hired TikTokers to flesh it out further. Who promptly threw everything they could randomly think of at the screenplay. And there you have it. A juvenile and painfully dull movie, filled with random nonsensical to poorly done " gags" if you can even call them that ...after another without any real story to tie it all together. And from the looks of it filmed by a music video director from late 90 early 2000's.

This "movie" is pure ass.

Et tu, Marek ? Really !?

I found it to be a mess of a movie in pretty much every way. It's like they had a kernel of an idea here then hired TikTokers to flesh it out further. Who promptly threw everything they could randomly think of at the screenplay. And there you have it. A juvenile and painfully dull movie, filled with random nonsensical to poorly done " gags" if you can even call them that ...after another without any real story to tie it all together. And from the looks of it filmed by a music video director from late 90 early 2000's.

This "movie" is pure ass.
I would watch Micheal Yeoh fling buggers at traffic and still be entertained. It is a silly movie elevated by great cast.

Anyway.
Wako. Rules of Engagement.
It is a documentary about 1991 shoot out between a sect and first the ATF and later the FBI. I guess it was well made because it made me angry.
But I personally would not recommend it. What is the Point of getting angry at something that happened 30 years ago?

I would watch Micheal Yeoh
I remember her ...used to be in classic Hong Kong gems like Yes Madam and Lucky Stars, Those where entertaining movies unlike this shit.

Speaking of those movies. Personally was a fan of Cynthia Rothrock. She was such a babe in Righting Wrongs and damn those legs of her where perfection.

Mother's Day 2010.

Starring Rebecca De Mornay

This movie is not a cinematic masterpiece. But it is the best fictional depiction of female psychopathy I ever got to see on screen.
Yes, there is a difference between male and female psychopathy. You can argue that it is the same disorder for both sexes and I would be inclined to agree. However, the visible difference is in how a female psychopath acts.

This movie beautifully shows how the main villain controls those around her by painstakingly making her children unable to function without her. She infantilizes adult people to the point any problem any hurdle is something they need Mom's presence or guidance to overcome.

I remembered this movie because I stumbled on a YT video about the Harley Quinn character. Margo Robbie has charisma, but the character she plays is underdeveloped to the point of being two-dimensional.
There is a lot of talk about strong female protagonists, but Rebecca De Mornay's Mother is a very rare example of a Strong Female Antagonist. So rare that I cannot name a single strong female antagonist other than this.

Back
Top Bottom