What's new
Frozen In Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets Talk About Our Lives

Eliar

*Sigh*

So my grandmother just tested possitive for COVID on a self test.

She is elderly but has done both doses of the vaccine and so far its just a light cough without fever.

I tested a few minutes ago and I am negative but I expect to test positive as well at some point.

The moment I waited and feared for the past year is here. Hopefully it will pass without consequences.

StolenMadWolf

Author
Well, for some good news, I've finally managed to get away on a holiday before all the lockdowns inevitably kick in again. So I can stop thinking about shitty work for a couple of weeks (I arrived a couple of days ago) and I can focus some time and effort on writing and catching up with some art. Plus handling RP and fic stuff.

On the negitive side, my grandmother is ill again. Apparently all her blood sugar levels were out of whack and her kidney's nearly gave in. But luckily she is stable for now on on the recovery path. I hope anyway.

In addition, I think this flu jab I recently got wasn't exactly... right... as a few days later I'm suffering flu symptoms... after just wrapping up a bloody cold. I was half terrified I wouldn't get on the flight.

StolenMadWolf

Author
Right, before I go ahead with this update, I might as well say one thing first. I've been questioning my gender for the better part of a year now and may actually be non-binary. I might be overthinking it but I am just experimenting with it for now. With that in mind:

Well, whilst things have been a mixed bag. Coming out as someone who is questioning if they are non-binary online has gone well. The holiday has mostly been alright and relaxing, and I've managed to make some progress on the writing and art front (though no closer to publishing).

And yet, it's not been great. First of all, my gran is recovering, but she is now getting even more frail than ever to the point my dad might have to move in with her for a while. So there is a general feeling she is on her last legs. I mean, I hope she is around for a lot longer but... it's not been easy.

Meanwhile my parents are once more starting to get to me again. Both ended up inquiring about my Roleplaying and forum activities which I like to be private about (trying to lean on my screen to wind me up didn't help). Asking if I made any money on Roleplay also secretly pissed me off even after I explained it was just for fun. I mean, at this point they are all looking at ways I can make $$$.

Then just today, my mother ended up discussing about retirement. My parents want to move to Turkey in order to retire, but because we are 'a very close family' and they don't want worry about me managing things in the UK, they will only go if I go with them.

Frankly, whilst Turkey is a nice place to visit, I wouldn't want to live there. There are other places I want to visit and potentially live, including with stuff in the UK. Plus, whilst LGBT rights in Turkey are fairly advanced by the standards of the Middle East, it definitely wouldn't be a nice place to live as an enby who is trying to explore their identity.

But despite me constantly telling them I would rather stay in the UK, they still won't move without me. They are trying to sweeten it up saying we can keep a smaller place in the UK for me to go back to every so often or have my own place for cheap in Turkey (which admittedly they are, as UK house prices are ridculous meaning I would be dependent on a flat) so I can live on my own but neither of them seem to recognise that I want to be able to have the space to spread my wings so to speak, especially with a little more freedom back home in the West. It just feels like they are trying to keep me shackled as close as they can to them. They already kept dropping food parcels to me during Uni even though I managed. And if I want to check something out myself, they want me to try and bring one of them along. I don't want to spend the rest of my life with my parents constantly trying to keep me close by and want space. Having increasingly divergent political opinions doesn't help either, with my parents showing an increasingly conservative side to my liberal progressive one.

I know they care for me and it's the same the other way, but I just want to be able to live my life my own way and being in Turkey is not the way for me to do that. I want them to be able to retire out there without having to worry about me. I'm not out as someone who's questioning either, non-binary or not which complicates things too, as I'm not sure how they nevermind the rest of the family will react.

I just want to be able to live by myself without feeling tied up somewhere.

I'm also afraid of flat out saying all this because I don't want to upset or piss them off.

<Reaper>666

I found out yesterday I actually have a heart condition/disease and I would have to take the medication to fix the heart rate. Didn't dare to take the meds today, but I'll have to ... kinda worried about what they would do.

Like the whole Covid and vaccination nonsense wouldn't be enough.
Well, If you do not take medication you will know what they could prevent.

Also, what nonsense?

<Reaper>666

Fact that you have get an allergic reaction from medicine does not excuse your ranting nor your abhorrence of mandatory vaccination. Fact that that was not introduced before only made things worse and IS making things worse now.

<Reaper>666

Vaccination is mandatory.
You can't punish people for not taking voluntary action.
They do punish the unvaccinated, thus it turns voluntary vaccination into a mandatory one.
Not exactly.
It is enforcement mechanism, which is based on voluntarism and choose. Manipulated but nontheless letting people to have illusion of choice.
By mandatory vaccination, you are running around with military and vaccinate people sector by sector, street by street, name by name.
And do it forcefully on all who don't agree.

Phoenix0995

Theoretically an engineer
I had too many nasty side effects from other medication that was considered quite safe, actual allergy included.
Depending on where you live, you may be able to use this to get a medical exemption from the vaccine (especially if you've got it documented and/or some of those side effects have been caused by other vaccines). On the other hand, before you decide to do that, I advise you to very carefully weigh the risks of getting a covid shot against the risks of not getting one — if you've got other health conditions (such as, for example, heart problems), that can make it more likely that a covid infection would lead to your hospitalization or death. I don't know about you, but I'd take feeling like shit for a while in return for a much lower chance of getting a disease that's already killed a few million people worldwide. I suggest you talk to your doctor about it and get them to help figure out which decision is better for you.

<Reaper>666

Depending on where you live, you may be able to use this to get a medical exemption from the vaccine (especially if you've got it documented and/or some of those side effects have been caused by other vaccines). On the other hand, before you decide to do that, I advise you to very carefully weigh the risks of getting a covid shot against the risks of not getting one — if you've got other health conditions (such as, for example, heart problems), that can make it more likely that a covid infection would lead to your hospitalization or death. I don't know about you, but I'd take feeling like shit for a while in return for a much lower chance of getting a disease that's already killed a few million people worldwide. I suggest you talk to your doctor about it and get them to help figure out which decision is better for you.
Also Ibuprofenum is not COVID vaccine. Not vaccinating becouse you have had undesireable effect from some drugs (also what exactly?) without prior consultation with physician is more like panicking rather than warranted caution.

beast_regards

Author
Also Ibuprofenum is not COVID vaccine. Not vaccinating becouse you have had undesireable effect from some drugs (also what exactly?) without prior consultation with physician is more like panicking rather than warranted caution.
It's pointless. For you, it's a political struggle to remove opponents. I give up. I was an idiot to write here.

<Reaper>666

It's pointless. For you, it's a political struggle to remove opponents. I give up. I was an idiot to write here.
You are not an idiot, that's one.
Two, it is not a political struggle to remove opponents but to save lives and social stability.
For discerning cases for vaccination you have physicians and laboratories, not oneself uninformed "I say so".
And you are not the only one who have allergy to certain drugs. And these people usually want to be vaccinated or seek information about risks of allergic withdrawls related to the procedure.

StolenMadWolf

Author
Well, just handed in my notice tonight. I had long run out of steam and was getting fed up with my current employment especially with a few dumb moments in the last few months. That being said, I've managed to sign up for some training on teaching folks to swim. I'm not a massive fan of teaching, but the alternate is staying in a job I was now frustrated with completely, and I love the water anyway, so I'll find some part of it enjoyable.

As a bonus, whilst I doubt the pay will be as good as with my previous job (I will have to give up some pay whilst training, although not for long), I'll end up getting shorter shifts with hopefully a bit more notice on rotas/shifts, so I should be able to plan alot more stuff in advance (the last job had rotas coming in a week in advance and often changed each week, leaving with me with very little time to make any plans for myself, friends and family because I couldn't plan ahead.) for myself, friends, family and other stuff. That, and I should have more time to pursue my creative interests, namely writing and hoping I can find an agent or self publish which is a plus. Oh, and getting a new qualification which should help my CV out.

Lerticus

Senile Old Coot
☭ Communism ☭
Blood pressure spiked as I seethed with rage again. Package to "inform" me of how great a merger of two gold companies would be, and how I can vote with my shares in about a week's time.

Except the first time I raged was when they made the announcement of intent. Dumped all of my stock.

It was the shittiest offer I have ever seen. The smaller of the two companies would essentially be bought, but it is called a "merger" because some of their exec will be put in fairly high positions. The larger company sucks balls, and is grossly inefficient in extraction and refining, which is why I went with the smaller company that was about 25% more efficient.

The offer was... 1% above the share price at announcement. One fucking percent, in an arena where acquisitions routinely offer 10, 20, or even 30% premium. Good thing that I sold my stock so fast, the stock price on both companies has tumbled about 10% because only a complete shithead would think that this is a good deal. There are plenty of complete shitheads around though, so the deal will probably go through.

Yeah, yeah, yeah... how capitalist of me. Whatever. I just find it infuriating that the execs thought it was a good idea to insult their shareholders like this. To insult me. How dare they.

At least my anger protected me, and I made money on the trade instead of having them fuck me with their corporate shitdicks. #LertWorldProblems

t-dugong

Beach bum, Esq.
Glad you didn't lose money from your stocks, @Lerticus.

So, when are you going to buy me and doggo some hot chocolate? Share the wealth, dedushka!

StolenMadWolf

Author
Well, I've now officially left my job. Ended quietly and well enough, now I have a few days off before I'm cracking on with the new training. That will mean I'm mostly off over the Christmas, and fingers crossed, that will lead to a job by around Jaunary if not a little bit later. Like I said on the plus side, that means I should have a bit more time on my hands which my last job was just eating away at. Namely more time to spend with my friends and family with a bit more freedom in shifts, some more time on my own writing and artistic endevours (both for agent hunting/publishing and actually doing said writing/art) and a bit more time to go and do some research and check out potential better jobs that I could take up at the end of the coming year, namely fairs rather than just applications after hearing some advice. Just got to make the whole thing count, so fingers crossed I'll have a better job and have some more success with creative works.

There is a double edged sword to all this though. I'm currently living with parents to help save money until I can securely move out, especially with the prices of living in the UK being as high as they are. They have recently learnt that it might be possible for them to start a gradual process of retiring in the next year or so rather than five or more. I've said before they also want to move to Turkey for their retirement, but will only actually do it if I'm secure here in the UK. If not, they will want me to come along with them.

I don't want to move to Turkey, despite them refusing to go unless I'm there with them or secure here, despite me insisting on them not having to worry about me. Which means I am now properly on the clock to get into a secure position before they retire. I want them to be comfortable in moving to Turkey without having worry about me, so I'm going to need to either get this book and/or short story out to become a big success, or get into a better job and a place of my own before they either beg me to come with them so they can stay around as helicopter parents or decide to work for longer.

So yeah, so much for less pressure. I get more pressure instead. Fantastic.

StolenMadWolf

Author
Right, to add a bit further to my last post, I've been doing a little bit more stuff regarding my creative endevours, specifically with the novel. I've sent a few more applications off to some agents and started inquring in a few channels about whetever publishing the traditional way or going for self-publishing would be best for me. In case anyone doesn't know, traditional publishing is where you work through an agent to get a book printed by a publisher as normal. Self-publishing on the other hand being exactly what it says on the tin, you publish the book yourself.

Going the old fashioned route does have it's perks, you don't get as much of a share of the profits and lose some control how it's done, but you do get all the support a publisher can throw to get your book out with minimum expenses on your part. Self-publishing technically gives you full control of the book's prices, cover etc, and you get a bigger share of the profits. However, you obviously have to everything else. Editors, cover artists, marketing, advertisement... the whole nine yards.

Thing is, my novel is 210,000 words long, and that is extremely long even by sci-fi standards and very much so for a first time author. I've asked for a few pointers, and most have said that means it's pretty much impossible to get a book of that size published the traditional fashion unless it's frankly perfect.

Since I can't cut the book down any further (I've already had to take 20,000 words out of the thing!), a few people have suggested that I split the book into the volumes. However, I've shot this idea down, as there isn't really a good point to actually break the book up. Not without going ahead with significant changes to the original material to make it work in a satisfying fashion.

I'm still working on getting a website sorted out, but whilst I'm waiting and finishing off some additional applications in the odd chance I catch someone's attention, I'm going to start seriously looking into self-publishing. The thing is, trying to get a book of this size out is going to be a challenge. Just hiring an editor is going to cost in the realm of £4000 alone (I came across an admittedly well known editor who was charging 11k, although he was also incredibly helpful) thanks to the book's sheer size. And that's on top of the costs of getting a cover sorted out and actually learning how to do marketing to try and stop the novel from flopping.

So now, that's another job to work on. Getting the website up and running whilst at the same time trying to work out ways to improve the novel's success by building up a reader base before I release. Setting up a Patron has been up on my mind, but actually putting up things up on said Patron would be a challenge, both for writing and an art front, as whilst I can do cool art, it takes a long time for me to get it together and it's not to the same level as many other artists. I've also written off commissions for the same reason, I'm just not ready to actually go ahead with them. I've still got the short story on the table, but that will take time to prepare and will still need to go through the same editing process if I self publish, albeit alot cheaper. Obviously, having a website helps too, and I've even dabbling in fanfics in case that potentially helps, although these are churned out at a much more rapid pace than even novellas.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on how to go ahead with that front, let me know. I really want this novel (and the novella) to be as successful as possible, at least enough to make a series possible (ironically what most people are also suggesting by splitting the book up which again, I'm not doing).

What makes matters worse is with this Omicron varient now in the UK, I'm now worried that on completion of the training, I might not even get into work at all. Well shit...

Top Bottom