What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets Talk About Our Lives

It's an old ass car and I don't care as long as it gets fixed since I need it to get to anywhere to do anything.

Old vehicles that are being used regularly will throw breakages with increasing frequency.

That can be mediated with regular maintenance but old is old.

Depends on how often you use it and at which point throwing money at it stops being viable.

Old vehicles that are being used regularly will throw breakages with increasing frequency.

That can be mediated with regular maintenance but old is old.

Depends on how often you use it and at which point throwing money at it stops being viable.
It's a Toyota Camry though, those bastards will keep on staying alive past all reason and logic...

I saw Avengers Endgame last weekend. I also finally have a modern-=ish mobile phone, instead of a much older one that was purely usable poorly as a phone with an inbuilt keyboard.

And today I finally got around to getting a Nintendo Switch and Pokemon Go Go Pikachu, since Sword and Shield being Switch Exclusive means I have to change consoles.

This has been a very eventful few weeks in a very boring life.

I remember this old mobile game I once had

Was about refugees fleeing a war (with you being one of them)

You ended the game in Europe, having outran the fanatical armies in your motorised cart filled wit the brim with pilundered food and water and other spoils of war
while you are decked out in metal armor and fighting off cops and thugs with a motorised warhammer (or motorised battleaxe).

The cops also had motorised battle axes and war hammers

Last edited:
Went to the Ramadhan Bazaar (lots of dishes there) and splurged. Bought some;

Grilled skate (the fish, not the shoes)
tukabak.PNG

Fried catfish with chilli
1502159924-ikan_keli_berlada_pinggan_pinggan_2.jpg

Roasted chicken with honey
resipi-ayam-panggang-madu-750x400.jpg

And some mutabbaq (wonder if @LCDR Stormwalker is familiar with this one)
featured_image.jpg

Yeah, I'm going to end up feeling bloated after iftar tonight.

This is a rather embarrassing story when I was a child. I'm telling you this because... eh, I find this story to be amusing. And reflecting upon it, it feels like my own version of 'lost in translation'

See, when I was in grade school, we had mandarin classes where we had to learn about mandarin. They flew in teachers from China to teach at my school, and for the most part. I don't really remember much about them. I do know how to spell Apple in Mandarin though, and that is Ping Guo. So It's not a complete and total loss.

Still, I didn't get good grades throughout my 6 years in grade school. And It's most likely down due to many reasons, but chief among them is that I don't know what Pin yin actually means. And AFAIK, the teachers never told me what it is until I learned it, much, MUCH later.

See, there are two forms of writing Mandarin in the modern day, Hanzi and Pinyin. Hanzi is this.

It's the 'moon runes' form of mandarin, the ones we are all familiar with. But pinyin is this.
píng guǒ

It's mandarin but adapted to be written into the English Alphabet.

I know that there are two forms of Mandarin from the get go, but what I DO NOT know is that Pinyin is the form of Mandarin written in the English Alphabet. Even worse, when the paper says Pinyin, I thought that the exercises asks for my OPINION in the matter, and that the teachers have always been spelling opinion wrong. So in each of the exercises, I always gave my opinion on what this letter means, or what that letter means. Safe to say, that experience learning mandarin soured me big time. It's also one of the reasons why I don't wanna learn mandarin even to today.

So yeah, a slice from my life. Any thoughts?

Meh @Eliar, Mandarin only have, what, 4 or 5 tones? Try Cantonese instead, 9 tones. Sure killed any interest I have for learning how to speak it.

Meh @Eliar, Mandarin only have, what, 4 or 5 tones? Try Cantonese instead, 9 tones. Sure killed any interest I have for learning how to speak it.
Four and a neutral that does not count as its own tone.

In some ways Cantonese isn't so bad since it is treated far less formally. People trip up the tones all the time, but it is taken in context. Except for official translation and such, but that is often mocked for being too stuffy.

What is far worse is the people who speak both, and they slip into atonal speech patterns while supposedly speaking Mandarin. It presents a lot of confusion and people literally cringing as they listen to that monster.

Four and a neutral that does not count as its own tone.

In some ways Cantonese isn't so bad since it is treated far less formally. People trip up the tones all the time, but it is taken in context. Except for official translation and such, but that is often mocked for being too stuffy.

What is far worse is the people who speak both, and they slip into atonal speech patterns while supposedly speaking Mandarin. It presents a lot of confusion and people literally cringing as they listen to that monster.

Try Hokkien then, I think the Taiwanese teach it in school. 7 tones.

I find it encouraging that people are saying Mandarin instead of Chinese.

Yes, although effectively the defacto language of China is Mandarin. There are several other languages like Cantonese, Hokkien, and other languages in the west. I find it a bit grating when people mention Chinese instead of Mandarin, It's less accurate IMO.

Jakarta, should Eliar be scared if you're learning Mandarin?

C'est moi? @Eliar, tu a concerne si j'étudie Mandarin?

:p

radaplan.jpg

Back
Top Bottom