What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets Talk About Our Lives

Yea I know. I will see the doctor tommorow and will discuss options
Do what you must now dude. Your knees start fucking up you are in deep shit. My mom is waiting for double knee replacement right now because she refused to take care of herself and is functionally a invalid unable to walk far without a knee cap slipping on her.

My cold's now gone. So I don't need to worry about being ill from that for a while. Still got to be careful with COVID though even with the full vaccine course.

In other news, just finished my latest art piece which might could potentially double up as cover art for the short story/novella idea (or at the very least serve as the foundation of one). Speaking of which, I've started writing that. Slowly, because of the start, but I am taking baby steps with that first draft. Meanwhile, I'm also trying to work out whetever or not traditional publishing is really the best option for me. The main reason I have been looking at it is because it would help get me to a wider audience and my lack of knowledge of marketing.

On the flip side, self-publishing would be faster and could help build up some attention, as well as getting a focused audience. But again, I don't know if I would even be capable of marketing it properly as I have little idea how marketing actually works.

Just gotta keep going I suppose. My art might be slowly getting attention since someone has inquired about requests so... that is something else to work out.

Just need to get to work with that website of mine. I now have the theme/program set up, it's just a matter of working out the software and how it works.

Perhaps this would be helpful? I have heard that amazon barely makes any money for you from production costs even for actually successful authors. ShaperV, on qq now mostly i think but was SB, from what I understand has a number of books published including 2 series and told me once he might make a dollar or so off a paperback book bought of amazon.

Perhaps this would be helpful? I have heard that amazon barely makes any money for you from production costs even for actually successful authors. ShaperV, on qq now mostly i think but was SB, from what I understand has a number of books published including 2 series and told me once he might make a dollar or so off a paperback book bought of amazon.

I've been reading through that, and whilst the potential money is nice, I still lack real marketing experience nevermind the fact I'm not sure going for Amazon alone would allow me to reach a wider potential audience.

That, and I would have to handle the costs of editing. For the short story, The Ship of Aurora that isn't so bad, but for Nyulfur? I'm going to be coughing up thousands just for proofreading alone.

Editors normally look over stuff that is sent through the traditional way before it's properly published. There is nothing stopping authors from self publishing without going through an editor, but it does come with it's risks.

I would rather send something through an editor just to play it safe and make sure either story is the absolute best they can be before publishing.

Thousands? Do you have to run it by some editor just to get it seen or out to the public?

If you want to publish anything by yourself better find sponsor, becouse costs are insane, everywhere. You can also just go to your collage, university or academy, but then it is for free, ie. you do not get money, but, you know fame is priceless.

Speaking of costs. I'm actually seriously considering doing some art commissions myself. But I have no idea how to go ahead with that.

I'm just curious, how much should I charge for some of the art I do? If it's only with £5 for me, then be frank with me.

If you want to publish anything by yourself better find sponsor, becouse costs are insane, everywhere. You can also just go to your collage, university or academy, but then it is for free, ie. you do not get money, but, you know fame is priceless.
Eh in my limited experience free exposure just means you get used for a pile of work and if very very lucky someone else might hire or look at you.
I'm just curious, how much should I charge for some of the art I do? If it's only with £5 for me, then be frank with me.
Try 15 as base price and haggle depending on size and detail? 5 is the lowest you should even think of going because that makes you look desperate. Well at least to me.

Eh in my limited experience free exposure just means you get used for a pile of work and if very very lucky someone else might hire or look at you.

Very true, but it also helps you judge the potential market and presence. Other side is an internet. basically you must flood market with your pieces and analyse feedback. Then you can create a product that have any chances to actually sell and be profiteable.
Writing and art creation is the same job as working and organising production in a factory. When you establish a brand you can make some art ie. pieces you create entirely without looking back at the public feedback. Only then you can have any remote chances that your art will bring you money.

In a few weeks is goes from so hot that I am unable to sleep without AC and then so cold that I cannot go outside in normal clothes and my city is not even that far north of the equator.

Try 15 as base price and haggle depending on size and detail? 5 is the lowest you should even think of going because that makes you look desperate. Well at least to me.

$15 could be a starting point, I'm just currently getting some ideas together.

Very true, but it also helps you judge the potential market and presence. Other side is an internet. basically you must flood market with your pieces and analyse feedback. Then you can create a product that have any chances to actually sell and be profiteable.
Writing and art creation is the same job as working and organising production in a factory. When you establish a brand you can make some art ie. pieces you create entirely without looking back at the public feedback. Only then you can have any remote chances that your art will bring you money.

Yeah, this. I noticed that I often got a crapton more views and favourites when I hold back and post stuff out all in one go rather than putting stuff up one at a time.

Or even better, try and stagger and release things in short bursts to keep the attention up. Of course, keeping up that kind of pace is a challenge.

Or even better, try and stagger and release things in short bursts to keep the attention up. Of course, keeping up that kind of pace is a challenge.

That's why you need to organise your work like in a manufacture or assembly plant, literaly.
If you lack ideas or need help with ideas you know where to hit.

Just need to vent this but what the fuck? I put in a application to electrolux weeks ago for a tech job and after one email about how i was being considered a week and a half ago i get one today saying i am rejected because of internal guide lines on "due to disciplinary/occurrences".

I dont work there and have not be actually contact at all and can see no way to contact or email them so again what the fuck?

Uh,

I assume you gave your bio and your former jobs. Were you in loggerheads with any of em? As in official reprimands and such?

Last edited:
Uh,

I assume you gave your bio and your former jobs. Were you in loggerheads with any of em? As in official reprimands and such?
Not that I know of. Some stuff more than 10 years ago when I went through a job a year but then i worked one place near 8 till it closed then went to another for a solid 2 year then went back to school. That place might have screwed with me because the gm was a narcissistic psycho but far as I know she did not and i have gotten a job at another retailer to pay bills and they apparently have not seen anything bad. It might be a wrong form or something but i guess I will need to find a number and check why they sent it like that.

Narcisstic psycho managers - most pharmacists with master degree - they do not know how to run buisness and think they are only entitled to pay at all, rest should be happy that can breath the same air.

Well, the family is now shoving me around. I've asked for help with getting some art up to get some awareness up about myself, and now they've booked in an appointment with a candle company whilst I'm away to get some art put up there.

However, they want me to either sell off the art I've done completely or at least bring it back down to it's most basic elements and basically recolour and skin it. Almost like some cheap ingame cosmetic.

Given this includes personal art of my own characters, I rightfully said fucking no to this, as I fully intended to use said characters to as examples to do completely original commissions, but my family is more concerned about the $$$ and want me to do reskins which feels cheap to me. Now they are saying if I do it my way and get some non personal examples and bases together, they won't help at all.

Fucking hell, I should have stayed quiet about this. I knew I was jumping into this too soon. Any advice?

Well, the family is now shoving me around. I've asked for help with getting some art up to get some awareness up about myself, and now they've booked in an appointment with a candle company whilst I'm away to get some art put up there.

However, they want me to either sell off the art I've done completely or at least bring it back down to it's most basic elements and basically recolour and skin it. Almost like some cheap ingame cosmetic.

Given this includes personal art of my own characters, I rightfully said fucking no to this, as I fully intended to use said characters to as examples to do completely original commissions, but my family is more concerned about the $$$ and want me to do reskins which feels cheap to me. Now they are saying if I do it my way and get some non personal examples and bases together, they won't help at all.

Fucking hell, I should have stayed quiet about this. I knew I was jumping into this too soon. Any advice?

Do as many others - start patreon-like site. Advertise yourself through other similar art sharing communities, like deviantart to build up preasence and start making polls. Then you will know what to produce. And I mean produce, becouse you will be producing pictures and stories en masse and in personalised matter. Make access to the art as service with optional ability to buy individual pieces or bundles.
That way you will get some money, but not enough to supplant any kind of regular job.
Unless you will become full time painter and start making original watercolour paintings and others like that. Actually you could most likely rake good money from that becouse such workd would have high collector value for subculture you are aiming to produce for.

Do as many others - start patreon-like site. Advertise yourself through other similar art sharing communities, like deviantart to build up preasence and start making polls. Then you will know what to produce. And I mean produce, becouse you will be producing pictures and stories en masse and in personalised matter. Make access to the art as service with optional ability to buy individual pieces or bundles.
That way you will get some money, but not enough to supplant any kind of regular job.
Unless you will become full time painter and start making original watercolour paintings and others like that. Actually you could most likely rake good money from that becouse such workd would have high collector value for subculture you are aiming to produce for.

It does sound like a good idea. I think I need to work on getting the basics set up before I can start putting art up for commissions or patron. Alot of the problem stems from everything moving far too quickly before I'm even ready to do this stuff proper.

Come to think of it, my focus has mainly been inspired by doing things digitally, whilst my family wants me to post it out to real life places for selling, even though the art I've done so far hasn't really been set up to work for traditional posting up and the like.

Either way, I'll start looking into the patron angle. I might even be able to get some stuff sorted out through it for the novels too.

You might also want to have back up options and a exit strategy ready. If the family really starts fucking with you you might need to get some space or the ability to not let them dictate terms to you. That is burning bridges level though but better than going blind if forced to leave...

You might also want to have back up options and a exit strategy ready. If the family really starts fucking with you you might need to get some space or the ability to not let them dictate terms to you. That is burning bridges level though but better than going blind if forced to leave...

Oh, I doubt that would needed. But I have been keeping it in mind due to increasingly bullshity moments and differences in opinion. Tricky bit is finding somewhere decent to stay, though I would likely have to give up a fair bit to make it happen.

It does sound like a good idea. I think I need to work on getting the basics set up before I can start putting art up for commissions or patron. Alot of the problem stems from everything moving far too quickly before I'm even ready to do this stuff proper.

Come to think of it, my focus has mainly been inspired by doing things digitally, whilst my family wants me to post it out to real life places for selling, even though the art I've done so far hasn't really been set up to work for traditional posting up and the like.

Either way, I'll start looking into the patron angle. I might even be able to get some stuff sorted out through it for the novels too.

First make yourself known on the market, and that begins with saturation - free saturation. Most on deviant art does that and it works. Then you take on with comissions and paid content.

Back
Top Bottom