What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merkels Operation Walküre - Discussion

I had posted the vehicle registration plate signs of the German counties east of the Oder-Neiße line. Indeed in OTL such plate systems were made in the early 1950s and indeed used, when the reunifiaction happened. The other plates are not used though for obvious reasons. But sometimes AH isn't so alternative...

Anyway, for the system the German plates have one to three letters for the county or city. So for example B for Berlin, HH for Hamburg (Hansestadt Hamburg) or BÜS (Büsingen am Hochrhein). If you live in a county which has merged with another, you can still apply in some federal states for the old sign. So there are still new PCH plates given out, even if Parchim is now part of the county of Nordwestmecklenburg (NWM).

After these letters one or two other letters follow, then a number with up to 4 digits. So for example B-A 1 is the shortest possibility, NWM-ZZ 9999 the longest. You can choose them as well. So it would be possible to use your initials and your year of birth. In some cases the letters are not allowed due to historic reasons. There is no SS or SA allowed. So as her initials were SS a classmate of mine could never give her car such a plate.

In some cases there are words possible. OD (County of Stormarn)-E 123 or OD-IN 123. Some are cooler: SE (Bad Segeberg)- X 123 or SE-XY 123. There are more possibilities:

Modern German military equipment, being available and working correctly? Now THAT is definitely ASB. Moreso than the ISOT thingie.
Of course, there's also the part where the ISOTed Germans join forces with the downtimers, who are the original Nazis. That too is pretty out there.

Of course, there's also the part where the ISOTed Germans join forces with the downtimers, who are the original Nazis. That too is pretty out there.
True dat. I forgot about that particular nonsensical hilarity back when I stumbled upon it several years ago. Isn't that the timeline where uptimer Germany fully annexes Alsace-Lorraine as well, in a way that no modern German would seriously contemplate?

Took me way too long to realise that this was only the Discussion thread 😅 and that the story is posted in the story only thread... Congratulations @Tyr Anazasi on finding a forum that is more tolerant!

True dat. I forgot about that particular nonsensical hilarity back when I stumbled upon it several years ago. Isn't that the timeline where uptimer Germany fully annexes Alsace-Lorraine as well, in a way that no modern German would seriously contemplate?
I'll admit, I didn't actually read it. I'm not really into AH threads. I do know that the ISOTed Germans punish Nazi war criminals with minor demotions, followed by being given authority over German men and materials. That too is pretty out there.

Took me way too long to realise that this was only the Discussion thread 😅 and that the story is posted in the story only thread... Congratulations @Tyr Anazasi on finding a forum that is more tolerant!
Someone mentioned that he'd moved to The Sietch. That's fine, I say, let him stay there with the other Nazi apologists. We could do without his sort here.

I'll admit, I didn't actually read it. I'm not really into AH threads. I do know that the ISOTed Germans punish Nazi war criminals with minor demotions, followed by being given authority over German men and materials. That too is pretty out there.

Someone mentioned that he'd moved to The Sietch. That's fine, I say, let him stay there with the other Nazi apologists. We could do without his sort here.

How do you mean? He is posting on this forum, isn't he? Also, pretty rich saying that it's Nazi apologism without having read the story, but you do you, fella.

How do you mean?
When the story includes contemporary Germans joining forces with the Nazis, when the Nazis are not punished for their actions beyond very minor slaps on the wrist, when the author insists that not just the Wehrmacht but parts of the Shutzstaffeln were clean... I feel pretty confident in calling it Nazi apologism.

When the story includes contemporary Germans joining forces with the Nazis, when the Nazis are not punished for their actions beyond very minor slaps on the wrist, when the author insists that not just the Wehrmacht but parts of the Shutzstaffeln were clean... I feel pretty confident in calling it Nazi apologism.

I never did this. If you don't like it here, you're free to post somewhere else. Nobody is forcing you reading my story, especially that you seem not having read it. But posting an opinion WITHOUT having read something is really intelligent. Qui tacuisses, philosophus manisses!

Before some post here again, I want to make it totally clear that I am no Nazi apologet. Indeed I see that as an insult. Neither the Nazis nor their deeds are celebrated in any of my TLs. Quite the contrary.

In TTL the Nazi leadership is either dead or captured to await trial. I don't want to make a spoiler, but according to German law the harshest possible sentence is life imprisonment with a special grade of guilt, meaning, that they will have difficulties to be released on parole after serving at least 15 years. That is determined by many factors. Also the guilt of the deeds one of these factors. Still, I can't see Göring, for example, avoiding such a sentence.

The next level are especially the units of the SS and Wehrmacht conducting war crimes/crimes against humanity. They will face a trial at home after the war. But in the meantime they will serve in penal units. The 13th army is such. If you read carefully that army had severe losses in the battle of Minsk. Indeed this level is punished harder than the main war criminals, as in many cases this is de facto a death penalty! Not de iure of course, but de facto. The ones, who survive, will have a reduction in the punishment after the war. For them it's obligatory to tell the truth in the truth commission, similar, what the South African did after Apardheid. If they want to get the bonus of serving in such units.

Such a punishment is similar to the decimating of old times. If a unit or several soldiers had conducted a severe crime, 10% of them were shot. Here it is even more. Of course, some reject to fight. They are imprisoned as well. This is, too, no slab on the wrist.

And the others? The members of the NSDAP for example, who had NOT killed someone or were otherwise involved in the Holocaust or similar actions? Well, the Allies had their system, which is adopted here as well:

1. Major Offenders
2. Offenders
3. lower offenders
4. Followers
5. Exonerated persons.

The degree of guilt determins, in what category someone is incorporated. A follower will indeed get the "slab on the wrist", while Göring can book a long time room in Spandau.

Again, I can't see Nazi apologism. If one argues, every member of the Nazi party needs to be shot, well, then we are in a discussion, which has nothing to do with a state of justice and thus won't be discussed here.

If anyone is not liking my TL, he is free not to follow.

I got over some data, that two former Danish torpedo boats had to be added to the German navy. That has been done.

And as such, you are free to write as many Nazi heroes as you wish, of course.
Have you read the timeline, to begin with?

UT Germany washes their hands of an SS unit (I don't recall if it was an army or corps sized) encircled by the Soviets (when TTL's Operation Bagration gets launched) and doesn't bother with helping them at all. Plus I don't think it would be reasonable (at least during the war) to start wholesale Nuremberg style trials when they have the Allies attacking them from all sides in Europe.

Post-war trials have to be harsh and heavily publicised, damn the political and other consequences. At the very least high ranking DT German officers won't have a say or effect on the Bundeswehr later on. Lots of house cleaning is in order post-war.

The TTL equivalent of the Nuremberg trials will come. As I already said at another point: The Nazis are punished partly harder than OTL, partly, due to the German laws, lighter. I don't spoil too much, when I say, that the main war criminals will get life time terms. With the special grade of guilt determined. Simply, the German laws forbid the death penalty and this is the strongest punishment possible. The soldiers/thugs in the units having condone war crimes were in Minsk. So their number is reduced greatly. The question of guilt will rise, but later, as it isn't the time for this. They are very public. And that's the reason, among others, to do it after the war. And as Germany is a state of law, even they need a good defense. And will get them.

The highest ranking officers of the former Wehrmacht will be after the war writing an analysis of the war. They won't have much to say. Generally. Officers like von Saucken are exceptions... I don't want to spoil much. This discussion will take place after the war.

tenor.gif

Very nice story....
Can´t wait for the next part.
Speaking of the next part, when can we see it ?

So far for new updates soon. But RL is very busy right now. So I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy new year! Updates will come next year.

Back
Top Bottom