What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

Aetherius

Author
So, i´ve saw this on the news...

For the whopping amount of 68.7 BILLION Dollars, Microsoft buys Acvtision Blizzard...

As a former WoW Player, who fled the sinking ship, i say meh...
But as a owner of a Microsoft Gamepass, this is a interesting development.
I mean, sure, MS has the Money to spend, but Activision Blizzard ??

So, does this mean we can see another Buying Frenzy happening in the Gaming Industry ??

Last edited:
Is Micro$oft still buying out competitors just to put them out of business?
More like integration of the AAA game industry in a similar way seen with movies: that shit is becoming so expensive and with such long cycles it makes a bit of sense for the individual actors to regroup in a structure with everything from the development tools to the hardware while receiving more regular funding through stuff like the subscription plans compared to the huge revenue hikes followed by long cycles of spending during dev'. It's a bit of a two-edged sword for the consumer: obviously, the concentration of assets in fewer hands isn't exactly good for us, leading to exclusivity deals, anti-competitive practices, etc., but OTOH, it can give more creative freedom to smaller studios, a good example being in Activision-Blizzard where the studio that made Spyro Remastered and Crash Bandicoot 4 was shanghaied into becoming a support asset for the Call of Duty cycle because that's the milk cow of the owners - a situation a bit less likely to happen under the umbrella of M$ since there's the subscription system providing regular revenue in the way the CoD cycle did for A-B thus making such increased production rythm less necessary.

Wait and see, I supposse, and hope it doesn't fuck us too much.

If you don't mind my asking, Rufus, what sort of games do you like to play?
I never thought you'd be the kind who always wants to buy the latest one.
Depends. A handful of AAA now and then, usually some more obscure stuff and old classics.

Back
Top Bottom