What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most controversial or unpopular political/economic/social opinions?

I get worried about the direction some parts of the church are heading, or rather aren't heading in. I really want the problems which plague the Southern Baptists to NOT occur in the RCC, but I'm also worried some parts see them as a guide rather than a "do not do this".

I get worried about the direction some parts of the church are heading, or rather aren't heading in. I really want the problems which plague the Southern Baptists to NOT occur in the RCC, but I'm also worried some parts see them as a guide rather than a "do not do this".

Can I ask what problems you are referring to?

Can I ask what problems you are referring to?
Keeping in mind i'm reffering to the really out there ones. The pursuit of political influence/general association with politics, hardline stances on many social issues and generally being schismatic like its 1515. Also the Prosperity Gospel.

The Japanese politics are comparable to the GOP one, complete with massive right-wing media bubble and the party outright in bed with racists and fascists, except there are no Democrats but only the ineffective and sometimes even worse third parties.

They are still better than the GOP because they actually try to rule the country if only because there is no Democrats-equivalent in Japan to blame everything (and they don't really have to worry about elections, considering how long they have been in power) and screeching about Koreans won't get them too far.

British America where the USA is stillborn doesn't automatically mean a better place for the Africans and the Native Americans.

People who seriously claim that seem to conveniently ignore the British Empire's own long and bloody history with colonialism and expansion, while magnifying every flaw the USA have.

British America where the USA is stillborn doesn't automatically mean a better place for the Africans and the Native Americans.

People who seriously claim that seem to conveniently ignore the British Empire's own long and bloody history with colonialism and expansion, while magnifying every flaw the USA have.
British America likely would have been less developed india

Yeah, but those kind of people never mentions what happened in India, or Kenya, or the Canadian history with the First Nation.

Dont even get me started on people who ignore canadas dark history.

Or that India broke away from the empire for a reason.

And Kenya? Uuuuhgh just awful.

All empires were gods damn awful.

that is rather telling

It is and its obnoxious reminds me of tankies that bash america but ignore USSR and PRC abuses

I am starting to despise the people crying 'Both the Same!' and 'But America!' regarding Hong Kong and PRC.

I can understand the Chinese doing it, but others? Especially those from the democratic countries?

I wonder what they would have written if they were around the Tiananmen. Sadly, there is a high chance that I would find out soon.

And as for the Westerners who say "Why do you don't like the Rising Sun flag? It is all in the past!", I'd say this: Would you say the same thing to the people proudly flying the Confederate battle flag? In front of the African-Americans?

And as for the Westerners who say "Why do you don't like the Rising Sun flag? It is all in the past!", I'd say this: Would you say the same thing to the people proudly flying the Confederate battle flag? In front of the African-Americans?
Haven't seen that one. Who actually flies the old version?

Haven't seen that one. Who actually flies the old version?
That was a hypothetical scenario. But I did saw someone openly displaying CSA battle flag on their window, twice, on Texas.

Another excuse for the Rising Sun flag is, "It's traditional!", rather similar to how the defenders of CSA flags said it's about the State's Rights.

Depends on what it signifies in the mind of whoever was flying the flag. If it means "my vague cultural heritage" or "girls with big butts" to him. I don't care. I don't think most Americans care either way. It's not actually a big symbol.

I had actually completely forgotten that there was a Confederate battle flag.

Depends on what it signifies in the mind of whoever was flying the flag. If it means "my vague cultural heritage" or "girls with big butts" to him. I don't care. I don't think most Americans care either way. It's not actually a big symbol.

I had actually completely forgotten that there was a Confederate battle flag.
It's literally the one anyone remembers. You never see the "but muh heritage" folks flying either the actual national flag of the confederacy, or the state flags that would theoretically have more importance to an actual confederate citizen at the time, or even the battle flags of confederate military groups other than The Army of Northern Virginia. Somehow it's always the one flag that got repurposed by racists for generations when they want to show their "heritage"

It's literally the one anyone remembers. You never see the "but muh heritage" folks flying either the actual national flag of the confederacy, or the state flags that would theoretically have more importance to an actual confederate citizen at the time, or even the battle flags of confederate military groups other than The Army of Northern Virginia. Somehow it's always the one flag that got repurposed by racists for generations when they want to show their "heritage"

I don't believe that. I don't think the creators of the Dukes of Hazzard were spreading pro-racist propaganda.

I personally don't remember people rhetorically equating the Confederate Flag and racism until the mid-90s.

Maybe this is one of those things where people in the media started equating the flag and racism, then racists saw them doing that and started using the symbol because they thought it was racist?

I don't believe that. I don't think the creators of the Dukes of Hazzard were spreading pro-racist propaganda.

I personally don't remember people rhetorically equating the Confederate Flag and racism until the mid-90s. The

Maybe this is one of those things where people in the media started equating the flag and racism, then racists saw them doing that and started using the symbol because they thought it was racist?
It always was. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_battle_flag

It would follow from this that the Dukes of Hazzard is racist.

When I was growing up, that flag had no popular connotation of racism. Like I said, my first exposure to the idea that it stands for white supremacy was I think the 1990s. In pop culture, previously it meant good ol' boy, yee-ha!, country music.
No, the show isn't. But it intentionally implies that all Southerners are. Remember, it's a comedy about how backwards and corrupt the South was. Even the "heroes" casually display symbols of "The Lost Cause"

Aren't you not from the US? I could be remembering wrong, but someone not from here would not have the same context.

No, the show isn't. But it intentionally implies that all Southerners are. Remember, it's a comedy about how backwards and corrupt the South was. Even the "heroes" casually display symbols of "The Lost Cause"

Aren't you not from the US? I could be remembering wrong, but someone not from here would not have the same context.

I'm from San Diego, lived in the US until 2000 (for context, I'm 49).

You're reading way to much into the show. The flag is on Bo and Luke Duke's car and serves to signify that they are good ol' boys never meanin' no harm, been on the run from the law since they day they were born, yee-ha!, country music. Because that's what it signified to the TV audience in the 1970s.

At this point, I won't be surprised if the American far left-wing (small as it is) goes full circle and starts praising Russia in the 20s-30s.

Last edited:
Authoritarianism isn't inherently bad as long as it is use for progressive and enviromental causes.

Problem is that is very very rarely the case.

And even if it starts out that way it usually progresses and ends in blood, tears and repression.

Back
Top Bottom