What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nancy Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry into President Trump

Seriously though, why the fuck do Americans have such an awkward voting process in the modern day and no excuses like the size of the country or manpower shortage compared to voter base. Fucking Canada or Australia (comparatively similar sizes) and India (which have 3 times the population number) wrap up their elections faster.

Part of it is their strange aversion to something the rest of the world takes for granted: a national ID card, and every citizen has one.

Part of it is their strange aversion to something the rest of the world takes for granted: a national ID card, and every citizen has one.
That 1) costs money, 2) gets the Elvengelicals and their thrawls into a tizzy, and 3) the powers between the Fed and the states (military IDs are one of the very few exceptions, as they're used only by the military and their families) is in play.

People keep forgetting that, all in all, it is still less a single nation-state and more like a federation of 50.

All that costs RM40 (about $10) with a lot of functionality without government subsidy. Heck, the government here subsidise the thing, I only paid about $2.50 (RM10) for mine. Fucking skinflints.

Oh, FYI I live in a federal governed system too. Just face the facts, Aaron. Your government is antiquated as hell.

All that costs RM40 (about $10) with a lot of functionality without government subsidy. Heck, the government here subsidise the thing, I only paid about $2.50 (RM10) for mine. Fucking skinflints.
You also forget the other two major problems in play. The Evangelicals are a major US political group that you can't simply ignore and issuing a federal ID like that is going to get some major constitutional wrangling that would only get fucked up in the courts in the current enviroment.

We don't fucking need weird apps to count votes or voting machines, we use tools known as paper and pencil and it works much better.
The American belief that technology can solve everything is apparently a real thing. Often it's just another distraction.
OTOH their ability to innovate is fantastic and something for us smug Europeans to learn from.

I'm honestly surprised considering who rufus is as a person I have yet to see that XKCD about eletronic voting.

Oh well.
voting_software_2x.png

As far as those other systems they sounr divine.

And about the evangelical vote? Fuck them. They can whinge and moan all they want its a net good.

You also forget the other two major problems in play. The Evangelicals are a major US political group that you can't simply ignore and issuing a federal ID like that is going to get some major constitutional wrangling that would only get fucked up in the courts in the current enviroment.

1. Fuck the evangelists. Heck, our own fundie Muslim political party are idiots and they court idiots and they only rule a couple of states.

2. What constitutional right does an Identity Card violate? You people already have Social Security numbers. Are those different in all 50 states?

1. Fuck the evangelists. Heck, our own fundie Muslim political party are idiots and they court idiots and they only rule a couple of states.

2. What constitutional right does an Identity Card violate? You people already have Social Security numbers. Are those different in all 50 states?

A bunch of libertarian idiots think the government having us get national id is Orwellian and will lead to dictatorship. As it will allow them to track people and Idk kill them or something as if they cant do that already.

What I didnt say it made any sense.

A bunch of libertarian idiots think the government having us get national id is Orwellian and will lead to dictatorship. As it will allow them to track people and Idk kill them or something as if they cant do that already.

What I didnt say it made any sense.

A government staying in form by dint of inertia is bad for business, my friend. I guess those preppers do have cause to stockpile all those guns and ammo.

Also, the average libertarians/ right-wingers wonders why illegal immigrants can stay hidden in the country for so long when the answer is literally staring them in the face. Idiots.

he Evangelicals are a major US political group that you can't simply ignore
Sure you can. Just stop letting their insane bullshit take over.

And, let's be serious here, it's not a 'Murica problem. It's a Republican problem.

What are they gonna do when you say that free national ID is to be had for all? Vote Democrat? Make the party less corrupt with fewer quid pro quo donations? Really?

No, the problem is that the GOP is insane and corrupt, but everyone feels the need to treat them like a respectable institution because of both-sides bullshit. Even if, or especially if, it fucks over the majority of the country that doesn't want to be backwards and ignorant.

Well that would make maybe a little bit of sense if you wouldn't have the NSA with all its history ;) A cellphone is 100-times more invasive than a smart card with your photo and name on it. And how about credit cards? Those are basically the same tech, and America loves them.

Well that would make maybe a little bit of sense if you wouldn't have the NSA with all its history ;) A cellphone is 100-times more invasive than a smart card with your photo and name on it. And how about credit cards? Those are basically the same tech, and America loves them.

as stated it doesn't make sense. but they are convinced of it.

Daily reminder this is the libertarian party

and tbh this isnt far off from many republicans as far as ID goes.

That 1) costs money, 2) gets the Elvengelicals and their thrawls into a tizzy, and 3) the powers between the Fed and the states (military IDs are one of the very few exceptions, as they're used only by the military and their families) is in play.

People keep forgetting that, all in all, it is still less a single nation-state and more like a federation of 50.
You mean like the EU is a bunch of countries a shitload more diverse than the US, and a lot of them a lot more recent? Your excuse is bullshit and you know it: the EU is a shitload more diversified than the US and we still manage it despite being twice as numerous as you do and having 24 different working languages in addition of having had a lot more tensions than you could imagine in the US:

1. The Evangelicals control whole swathes of states, so ignore them at your peril. Also, while they don't look like it, they also have their teeth in the more 'understandable' religious types in the US.

2. This is due to various issues (both constitutional and by later laws, I don't exactly know which) as states also have their own IDs as well. Outside of military IDs (which are protected by precedent stretching all the way to the very beginnings of the nation with US Navy hospitals), there isn't one 'ID' shared by the states.
*Looks at recent articles*

Hooo boy my boy Trump is moving the purge machine full speed ahead.

We knew that this was going to happen but he already has lost the US IC and he has been losing the US military as well.

*Looks at recent articles*

Hooo boy my boy Trump is moving the purge machine full speed ahead.

Sondland is out too.

Corrupt senate has asked for and received info from the IRS (that refuses to release subpoenad Trumpy tax records) on Hunter Biden. Sure, he isn't running for office, and there has never been any evidence against him, and they don't actually have any cause to investigate into a private citizen's life, but that doesn't mean that they can't go openly digging up political dirt. Rules are for non-Republicans.

Sondland is out too.

Corrupt senate has asked for and received info from the IRS (that refuses to release subpoenad Trumpy tax records) on Hunter Biden. Sure, he isn't running for office, and there has never been any evidence against him, and they don't actually have any cause to investigate into a private citizen's life, but that doesn't mean that they can't go openly digging up political dirt. Rules are for non-Republicans.

We are talking about the people that wasted who knows how many millions of tax payers dollars, countless work hours and federal resources to investigate Hillary Clinton a dozen times and always came up with a big fat nothing and a bazzilion conspiracy theories.

We are talking about the people that wasted who knows how many millions of tax payers dollars, countless work hours and federal resources to investigate Hillary Clinton a dozen times and always came up with a big fat nothing and a bazzilion conspiracy theories.
Yes, but at least she was vaguely relevant.

The worst that the Deplorables can do is twist the facts around enough to make a nobody look guilty. They have already failed to make Joe himself look bad for "defending his son" by the reality that Joe was enacting US foreign policy in removing a corrupt prosecutor that everyone wanted gone.

This is great because it reeks of desperation to deflect from their own complicity in Trumpy's crimes, but it is also quite pathetic and shows just how little the entire party cares about actually winning on policy or principles. The first thing they do after getting shamed for the sham trial is to try and do even more shady shit.

Yes, but at least she was vaguely relevant.

The worst that the Deplorables can do is twist the facts around enough to make a nobody look guilty. They have already failed to make Joe himself look bad for "defending his son" by the reality that Joe was enacting US foreign policy in removing a corrupt prosecutor that everyone wanted gone.

This is great because it reeks of desperation to deflect from their own complicity in Trumpy's crimes, but it is also quite pathetic and shows just how little the entire party cares about actually winning on policy or principles. The first thing they do after getting shamed for the sham trial is to try and do even more shady shit.

I think it is absolutely clear by now that the Reps are only focus on winning at all costs and fuck principles?

It has been proven after all that principles lose elections and the system rewards the unprincipled turds.

I think it is absolutely clear by now that the Reps are only focus on winning at all costs and fuck principles?

It has been proven after all that principles lose elections and the system rewards the unprincipled turds.
Which takes me back to the point of why anyone would debase themselves so much as to treat the Republican party with respectable opposition instead of just exposing them as lying turds.

The media does this to make every election a nail-biter close race, but if they really want the clicks they should get on board the reporting of corruption instead of hiding it to make the election seem like a match of equals. Trumpy goes on camera high as fuck and rambling incoherently, and the news talks about his lying policy talking points instead of "Oh, fuck. Look at this mentally unstable piece of shit!" (paraphrased). As much as the "lying MSM" label pisses me off, it is also abundantly clear that they pick and choose what to report on in the face of abundantly clear reality and drive people to the polarized internet agencies.

I half-seriously expect Trump to name a horse governor to please the Brony demographic while learning the lyre as Biden plays with matches.

Nah.

Let's be frank here. Americans of all stripes hate the idea of government, just for different reasons. Americans are pretty ungovernable, except when it comes to bombing perceived enemies, which seems to be a national pastime, or fucking over the poor.

Nah.

Let's be frank here. Americans of all stripes hate the idea of government, just for different reasons. Americans are pretty ungovernable, except when it comes to bombing perceived enemies, which seems to be a national pastime, or fucking over the poor.
I disagree. They are extremely governable nowadays, much moreso than most other countries with a democratic system, for they hate the idea of government so much they won't do anything about it even to change perceived injustices, and will refuse to invest themselves in political life seriously if becomes a hassle. The street is no longer a power there.

Back
Top Bottom