What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peacemaker

Peacemaker was a great character and Cena did a good job playing him.

I guess studios finally cottoned on to making superhero movies; start with the C and D listers. That way nobody cares how the project is made. Cool.

I got up to ep7.

I don't get this show.

For as long I can remember I enjoyed DC series. Animated and life action.
Now it looks like DC is trying to be the antidote to Marvel, but they are not. They are just Marvel with curse words added.
They are as much cookie-cutter as anything Marvel makes. Safe and predictable.

I wouldn't call it predictable per say. But it is kind of average at everything.

I got up to ep7.

I don't get this show.

For as long I can remember I enjoyed DC series. Animated and life action.
Now it looks like DC is trying to be the antidote to Marvel, but they are not. They are just Marvel with curse words added.
They are as much cookie-cutter as anything Marvel makes. Safe and predictable.
Given how much popular culture themes are minced, there is almost no way to create something new.
Unless you go all in, but then you will be buried under mountain of legal actions.

Having slept on it I now think, I sort of get the point of this show.

It is made for the same audience Batman the Animated series was. It is for the same fan base. The people that were teenagers in the 1990s who are now in their forties.
The thing is I don't believe DC and HBO gave enough credit to their viewers.

Last edited:
Having slept on it I now think, I sort of get the point of this show.

It is made for the same audience Batman the Animated series was. It is for the same fan base. The people that were teenagers in the 1990s who are now in their forties.
The thing is I don't believe DC and HBO gave enough credit to their viewers.

Like Matrix and idea of using humans as power source (in conjunction with cold fusion but still . . .) not the original idea of organic neural nets. Or Altered Carbon story being rewritten to suit not only audience but also political climate.

Like Matrix and idea of using humans as power source (in conjunction with cold fusion but still . . .) not the original idea of organic neural nets. Or Altered Carbon story being rewritten to suit not only audience but also political climate.
What are you talking about???

EDIT:
Given how much popular culture themes are minced, there is almost no way to create something new.
Unless you go all in, but then you will be buried under mountain of legal actions.
And that also didn't make sense,for me, in the context of this thread.

It is made for the same audience Batman the Animated series was. It is for the same fan base.

You mean the one from the 90's ? I remember that... Superbly written, told and well animated. I got the feeling it was more aimed at adults rather then 12 year old kids. I wish they made stuff like that again along with classic Warner, Disney and old school Tom and Jerry cartoons.

You mean the one from the 90's ? I remember that... Superbly written, told and well animated. I got the feeling it was more aimed at adults rather then 12 year old kids. I wish they made stuff like that again along with classic Warner, Disney and old school Tom and Jerry cartoons.
Yes, that one.
I was a kid when it aired and didn't rewatch it since. But I would say it was aimed at intelligent people but at the same time did not alienate the younger audience.
Walt Disney said something about making a show for a wide audience is the recipe for success. I tend to agree. That is how fairy tales of old were structured. The wolf did kill the grandmother in the red riding hood.
Those stories had mature themes. The talking animals are just disguised people to make the whole thing more approachable for the children.

However, I would be hesitant to say older cartoons were better. Nostalgia may be talking here. There was a boatload of crap in those older shows as well. 90% of the stuff we liked as kids is embarrassing to watch as adults.

However, I would be hesitant to say older cartoons were better. Nostalgia may be talking here. There was a boatload of crap in those older shows as well. 90% of the stuff we liked as kids is embarrassing to watch as adults.

Don't know if I agree. Golden age cartoons 1930's to early 50's I find to hold up. Beside felix the cat which has always been rubbish whatever the era. It's the post Golden age. Start of mass produced Hanna barber and Chuck Jones stuff I find frankly pretty bad. Then of course the 80's and 90's which I for the most agree to be embarrassing to watch as adults or hell even as a teenager. But on the other if you see what kids have today ? You kind of have to agree 80 and 90's stuff wasn't at least this bad.

Don't know if I agree. Golden age cartoons 1930's to early 50's I find to hold up. Beside felix the cat which has always been rubbish whatever the era. It's the post Golden age. Start of mass produced Hanna barber and Chuck Jones stuff I find frankly pretty bad. Then of course the 80's and 90's which I for the most agree to be embarrassing to watch as adults or hell even as a teenager. But on the other if you see what kids have today ? You kind of have to agree 80 and 90's stuff wasn't at least this bad.
I don't know.
Golden age from the 1930s to 1950's we get Loony Toons and Disney. But there is also woody the woodpecker, and other less than good shows.
The mass produced Hanna Barbera era also has good ones in, or at least I think Topcat was good. And there Wacky Races came from that era. But that is also the age of Japanese Anime. Maya the Bee for example.
In the 1980's as a kid, I enjoyed Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, I would have no problem introducing that show to a younger viewer. or the Smurfs. 1990s; we got Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, and Cow and Chicken. Or that French show, "cat and the cockroaches". 2000's well it is hard to argue that My Little Pony was good. And now, well in the 2010s, people say good things about Gravity Falls.
My point is that good shows get re-runs. But in each era, there was just as much crap as there is today.

I don't know.
Golden age from the 1930s to 1950's we get Loony Toons and Disney. But there is also woody the woodpecker, and other less than good shows.

Sure, but overall it's still quality to it. Even the shoestring budget stuff like Popeye.

The mass produced Hanna Barbera era also has good ones in, or at least I think Topcat was good. And there Wacky Races came from that era.

Of the Hanna-Barbera stable... The Flintstones is the only one I can watch as a adult and the only one I liked as a kid/teenager.. At least the first few seasons. It goes downhill after that. TopCat ? ..Eghh. Was more of a fan of Catch the pigeon then Wacky races. Besides that most of the Hanna Barbera stable was utter shit at least in my opinion. Well, birdman I kind of strangely liked. and revisiting now I still do but that's mostly due to Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law.

But that is also the age of Japanese Anime. Maya the Bee for example.

Didn't watch much of that. It wasn't really on Dutch TV. Besides some nonsensical Gundam show, Dragon ball, Sailor moon, Samurai pizza cats, and Teknoman , perhaps some others. From those I watched only samurai pizza cats and Teknoman and didn't go ought of my way to do so either.

It's in my 20's that i kind of started to watch more Japanese animation partially thanks to a friend who had a collection. But I'm not generally impressed. Votoms the original main series. And the side OVA. " The last of the red shoulders." Is what charmed me. Mellowlink is also fine. Area 88 OVA and few other. Heck I even like the Original Mobile Suit Gundam before they replaced the staff with aliens who can't write dialogue for shit or characters for that matter. To be honest that's something every Japanese animation suffers from.

Oh, yes! And speed racer. Holly hell is that cartoon unintentionally funny.

In the 1980's as a kid, I enjoyed Disney's Adventures of the Gummi Bears, I would have no problem introducing that show to a younger viewer. or the Smurfs. 1990s; we got Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, and Cow and Chicken. Or that French show, "cat and the cockroaches". 2000's well it is hard to argue that My Little Pony was good. And now, well in the 2010s, people say good things about Gravity Falls.
My point is that good shows get re-runs. But in each era, there was just as much crap as there is today.

Well, Dutch TV in the 90's during day time had plenty of uncovered tits and asses on TV as @Damar can vouch for. Wrestling and actual contact sports. Dutch caravan and backwards racing. A lot of serials like Cheers, Wings, Colombo, Honeymooners and other shows. And plenty of fucking movies. As a kid/teenager perhaps and probably I found that more appealing.

That's not to say I didn't watch cartoons. Smurfs and Pokémon I remember watching along with some weird cartoon with a black person with a flying locomotive. But most of that was mostly because I was up at 6 in the morning and nothing else was on besides the news and original Star trek. Which I came to like.

I don't remember anything really appealing to me animation wise in the 90's besides Batman and The Tick. Both cartoons frankly still hold up to this day. And the only thing I remember about Dexter and Cow and Chicken was that it was the only thing kept one of my female friends little brother busy. While I was exploring his sister.

Last edited:
I genuinely didn't expect Gunn to have had the clout in DC to have
Aquaman and Flash(plus obviously not Cavil!Superman and Gadot!Wonder Woman) meet Peacemaker and have Arthur say 'Fuck you Barry!' over the fish fucking rumour
Economos was the MVP.

That wasn't Gadot though was it ?

Also, is it me or is Cena actually surprisingly decent actor ? Aint no Roddy Piper but compared to say the Rock or other wrestlers from the past and now ?

Last edited:
James Gunn has made some of the most entertaining and, in my opinion, best DC movieverse content in many years.

Even when there are just discussions on moralization it doesn't drag like basically every other non-animated DC project. I like that.

Good James. You fulfilled your end of the deal - I laughed - so I will give you your pets back.

Watched it. I guess I enjoyed it, I think. Would not recomend it to a friend.

I didnt liked the whole invasion of the body snatchers angle. The butterfies cant eat our food. Ok what does the cow eat. The motives were wishy washy for everyone involved. Character development, I dont think there was even any.
No one drove the situation. Things just happened to the characters.
The show was full of contrivences.

And next to the other offerings from DC... yeah both live action and animated this thing does not stand out.
The acting was good.
Cinematography acceptable.
The music was style over funcion.
The writing subpar, and sometime down right nonsensical.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom