What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poland invades the Czech Republic (an "oops!" later uttered)

Lerticus

Senile Old Coot
☭ Communism ☭
A spokesperson for the Czech Foreign Ministry confirmed to NPR on Saturday that "Polish soldiers mistakenly deterred our citizens from entering a church on the Czech territory in close vicinity of the Czech-Polish borders."

Czech officials say the incident happened in late May near a small village known as Pelhřimovy, just across the border from Poland. They added that their diplomats immediately notified their Polish counterparts, and that Polish soldiers are "no longer" present at the site, which Czech nationals can again visit as they wish.
"It was corrected immediately and the case was resolved — also by the Czech side," a spokesperson explained to CNN.
Czechs "resolved" the matter, but how long until the power-mad right-wing government of Poland try again!?

Have you never been to a border?
There are big black lines, visible from space. Do you really not know about how maps are made? 🧐

Ah right. And the ground on each side of the black line is a different colour, of course.

Seriously, wouldn't there be a fence or something?
(Except in places where the border is not clearly defined because neither country cares too much about the inhospitable land that separates them.)

Look on Google Maps at the border between the USA and Canada for an example.

Ah right. And the ground on each side of the black line is a different colour, of course.

(Except in places where the border is not clearly defined because neither country cares too much about the inhospitable land that separates them.)

Why would there even be fences? Schengen space, mate, there's freedom of circulation, without border checks inside the EU.

ummmmmmm, both are in the EU. Why should there be a border in that sense be between them at all?

ummmmmmm, both are in the EU. Why should there be a border in that sense be between them at all?

I was under the impression that the members of the EU were still different countries. Otherwise - what's all this talk of Polish soldiers and Czech territory?

I was under the impression that the members of the EU were still different countries. Otherwise - what's all this talk of Polish soldiers and Czech territory?
well, technically, sorta, complicated. The members of the EU are all part of a supranational Confederation of sorts. Border checks and the fences and all that stuff aren´t a thing for most of the EU. At most you see a sign with a france/germany/ poland in an EU sign to show which state you currently entered gettyimages-498335702-1024x1024.jpg

for the soldier thing i´d imagine if a company of texan national guard ended up taking camp in an new mexican city that would also rise some eyebrows

Different countries, but no borders between them in the sense of borders being an obstacle for people or goods. Borders are more the limit between different legal systems in Europe, which are still sharing an increasingly large common part.

for the soldier thing i´d imagine if a company of texan national guard ended up taking camp in an new mexican city that would also rise some eyebrows
They'll shoot at each other. 😶

-------

Things like that happens relatively often within the Schengen area. But it's not a problem, really.

Reactions: Kol
I'm more worried about the buffoon in chief and his antics there.

Poland has repeatedly offered Earth and Water as the saying goes for US troops to be stationed there.

It would of been a solid move had it been from anyone else.

Trump is probably doing it out of vogue tho./

Reactions: Kol
Back
Top Bottom