What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendation Thread.

Justified, went blind into it. The beginning of the first episode is somewhat misleading on where the show is set and the type of show you expect.
And overall its one of those shows that takes a season and a half to figure out what it wants to be. Non the less the progressive development of characters and you will get so many good ones. And the well written dialog will alone keep you watching especially when it hits mid half of season 2 and go's on to season 3 when the story switches to a long story arc basicly.

The only thing that becomes a little repetitive is the "secondary" big bad villains of the seasons.

The cast is also good. And Timothy Olyphant besides being a good actor also has a knack that's rare to pretty much have chemistry with pretty much whoever he's on screen with. Hell, most of the cast you could tell enjoyed being in this series..

I recommend it.

Mr Inbetween a TV series derived/continuation of a very low budget Australian "cultfilm" from a 2005 called the "The Magician". The TV show is about a live of a hit man, his friends, family and "business." It's in a genre of black comedy, crime/drama.

How is this different from say "killing Eve " or HBO's "Barry" ? Well, It isn't over the top stupid ...premises and or writing wise for one! The characters are not absurdly clownish for the sake of comedy or written as highly capable and incompetent at the same time contradictory for whatever reason....

The show is really surprising well written dialogue and story arc wise delivering actual comedy and at the same time is fairly grounded, bar one scene. Not to mention well acted and executed especially for it's budget and a cast that has barely any acting experience for the most part.

Really well done for such a small and fairly "amateur" production.

The only minus is some of the story featuring his brother in the overarching story is kind of predictable. And there is also a episode that you can guess from the begging to the end.

Overall though I highly recommend this show.

Last edited:
Anyway, watched the new "All Quite On The Western Front" last night.

Uses barely anything from the book bar names. Lacking a back story for the main characters or really any story development for that matter especially in establishment the broader situation the characters are in.
The battle scenes are also badly done never mind other scenes as it's pretty clear that zero actual historians where on the set. Cinematography wise, it tries ....but ultimately does nothing new. either. Add the Hans Zimmer "Dunkirk" inspired soundtrack and you have pretty much a empty and utterly pointless movie with a shit film score.

How the fuck this is getting positive reviews I don't understand.

Last edited:
???

Why would they remake this one?
How about remake "08/15" that movie adaptation sucked!
Plus I am partial to Hans Helmut Kirst over Remarque. Maybe something was lost in translation but that was a slong and I never read it till the end.
And I am not buying the original. The only two books in German in my house are the Bible and the owner's manual to a Trabant 601.

As for recommendations:

The Wrath of Man directed by Guy Ritchie.
A fun if violent outing. Also, I very much enjoy the dialogue in Ritchie's movies. He makes Americans sound eloquent, and not abrasive.

The Wrath of Man directed by Guy Ritchie.
A fun if violent outing. Also, I very much enjoy the dialogue in Ritchie's movies. He makes Americans sound eloquent, and not abrasive.

Saw it a while ago. Indeed decent flic.

Anyway started watching stranger things. Besides being a hipster take on the 80s. And Winona Ryder having less acting ability then a rock. And looks of one. The stereotypical clichéd written characters from adults to children. And feeling like a rejected story for Outer Limits episodes or Stephen King book.

It's kinda watchable all though mostly because it's something different

Saw it a while ago. Indeed decent flic.

Anyway started watching stranger things. Besides being a hipster take on the 80s. And Winona Ryder having less acting ability then a rock. And looks of one. The stereotypical clichéd written characters from adults to children. And feeling like a rejected story for Outer Limits episodes or Stephen King book.

It's kinda watchable all though mostly because it's something different
Stranger Things is ok, if you only watch the first season. They run out of steam after that.
Some series are only good for one season. Others grow more interesting as they progress. Stranger things is the former not the latter.

As for recommendations:

Star Trek Lower Decks.

It is an animated series and a comedy at that.
ScifiDebris called it a love letter to Star Trek and I tend to agree.
I like this show but wish it was more ambitious. It is tailored to Trak fans and not a wider audience like other ST shows were.

Poirot TV series. 1989.

Whatched it a lot in my youth. Christ, I forgot how good this was. Upp until season/series 8. It's just a well written and splended show episoded by episode mostly. And even the later seasons/series at least up till the elevent seasoon. it's still a good show. The cast is just perfect. The production values and attention to detail are also fucking stunning, especially if you compare it to some BBC dram/detective period series of the same decade.

Christopher Gunning provided score. Is also supurb.

Blue Eye Samurai
Created by Michael Green and Amber Noizumi
Starring Maya Erskine, George Takei, Masi Oka

This is a Netflix original animated show.
The summary is that it is a story of a one-person vengeance set in XVII century Japan.

You know there are movies and shows that just hit you hard. Pieces of fiction that just scream at you that they are above the average level.
Blue Eye Samurai is that sort of a show.

Come to think of it, the show is not groundbreaking in any one aspect. But it is certainly greater than the sum of its parts.
Superbly written, well choreographed, expertly animated. The pacing is great, and the story engaging.

I am at a loss for words to describe this show. It certainly belongs in a museum. It should be evaluated in film schools.

The Outlaws 2017, The Roundup 2022, The Roundup: No Way Out.

You like early 90's Hong Kong crime action films with a touche of comedy ? You'll like this.

Back
Top Bottom