What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ridley Scott's Napoleon

Mr Wumbo

Author
pgjyi5valpra1.jpg

The historical epic from Ridley Scott (no slouch when it comes to directing lavish looks at the past and explorations of the warrior way) will open in cinemas exclusively on Nov. 22 before streaming globally on Apple TV+ on an undetermined date. Sony Pictures will partner with Apple on the theatrical rollout. "Napoleon" stars Joaquin Phoenix as the French emperor and military leader.

Phoenix previously teamed with Scott on 2000's mega-hit "Gladiator," so there's a track record there. But this film won't be all Waterloo, all the time. In addition to epic battles, "Napoleon" will also look at the visionary commander's volatile relationship with his wife, Josephine, who is played by Vanessa Kirby. Apple also released a first look image (above) from the film featuring Phoenix on horseback, saber unsheathed.

The fact that Waterloo, Napoleon's defeat and Wellington's glory, is the only part of the movie that have any semblance of deliberate attempt to create historical accuracy says everything.
To further underline this, every line spoken by Wellington consists entirely of him condemning and cursing Napoleon as a vile evil men that must be punished for glory of the British Empire humanity.

The movie literally ends with a death toll of all the combined coalition wars that all but insinuates that it's all Boney's fault.

To further underline this, every line spoken by Wellington consists entirely of him condemning and cursing Napoleon as a vile evil men that must be punished for glory of the British Empire humanity.

The movie literally ends with a death toll of all the combined coalition wars that all but insinuates that it's all Boney's fault.
It's not well-received by either the critics or the public, according to Rotten Tomatoes:

Man if Ridley had promoted this as an alternate history in the vein of Inglorious Basterds it could've worked, but what a monumental fuck up, and I say that as someone with a genuine soft spot for him who genuinely enjoys his sci-fi and earlier stuff.

Man if Ridley had promoted this as an alternate history in the vein of Inglorious Basterds it could've worked, but what a monumental fuck up, and I say that as someone with a genuine soft spot for him who genuinely enjoys his sci-fi and earlier stuff.
They also literally made Napoleon into a fucking Dynasty Warrior character with him jumping into battles in Toulon, Borodino, and Waterloon on slashing and stabbing motherfuckers. They should've ended the movie with him dueling Wellington while they're at it.

People are surprised this is shit ? Christ, the trailer indicated as such. Come on even the choice for the music for it... And it's Ridley Scott. The guy has been make garbage for long time now.

Last edited:
People are surprised this is shit ? Christ, the trailer indicated as such. Come on even the choice for the music for it... And it's Ridley Scott. The guy has been make garbage for long time now.
He did make The Martian, which is probably my favourite movie of the 2010s. As for the rest? Well, I didn't even watch the trailer nor the movie.

I also like Alien: Covenant, because: XENOMORPHS! YAAAAAASSSSS
Although the Xenomorph was primarily created by H.R. Giger and Dan O'Bannon...

well no accounting for personal taste glad you liked it
I did like his addendum on the xenomorph being able to regenerate from near-death, like a lot of extremophile organisms here on earth, although I'm not entirely sure that is his original idea as in the novelization of Alien it is also able to regenerate from otherwise mortal injuries...

Fuck it I need a new avatar for this

Back
Top Bottom