What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's Play The XCOM Files

Update 1.1 - December 1996

DSKdev

DECEMBER 1996
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS LOG #1

It's taken a few weeks for me to settle in this claustrophobic basement of a headquarters. I am keeping this log to document the history of our organization.​
QzYocDJ.png

Shg4Yc6.png

IXF1rjz.png
My name is [TEXT REDACTED], Director of Operations of X-COM Global Investigation Bureau. A UN funded project to investigate and, ideally, eliminate the recent spike in cultist organizations.​
rBUwtkC.png
Our base of operations is located underneath a shell biotech firm on the East Coast. With our funding we can barely keep the lights on in here, let alone live comfortably, but it's the price of secrecy.​
The...unprofessional nature of our chief staff only confirms my suspicions. Putting me in charge of a semi-independent investigation agency to keep me quiet and pretend like they care, while keeping a tight leash around my neck. I completely see through what they're doing. They've been trying to silence me at every turn.

Ever since Omaha.​
Our Intelligence Officer seems to agree as well, and has formed a strategy to confront our superiors to get our hands on more clearance. I only hope we can prove our legitimacy.​
Until we secure some more trust with the council we're gonna have to move using public transport.​
I've ordered equipment for our agents. While it'll take some time to arrive, it should come in by the end of the month.​
Our finest diplomats are working on securing better logistics and more ad equipment. Our Chief Medical Officer is working on securing better Trauma Kits for our agents.​
Our equipment arrives in the afternoon coming down the access lift in wooden boxes. Unfortunately, we lack technology to acquire crowbars.​
IgW7FWi.png
The month ends with an unfavorable report.​

Last edited:
Update 2.1 - January 1997
JANUARY 1997
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS LOG #2
s4k7Zmr.png

IsKegQx.png
Happy New Year! In other news, a new shipment of ammo and supplies arrived in the afternoon.​
zbafVpx.png

uRAlNdP.png

iDS3mMS.png

FnTuC83.png
We've found some reports of strange armed individuals in Kigali. Alpha Team is being deployed, consisting of Iman Gourdazi and Arsentanbek Moidunov. Meanwhile some fresh recruits arrive in the morning.​
mrFvSzS.png

d0PWiAR.png

XWY2pEo.png
The team arrives at 2 in the afternoon. They are armed with a standard issue Glock 18, Taser Pistol, Electro Club, and Trauma Kit. A larger emergency field surgeon kit is inside the car.​
Abqh7Tx.png

XoNX8MI.png

DZ28s4A.png

np6knVu.png
Moidunov spots two cultists off the bat, both armed with FN Baby Brownings and Daggers. The two agents are reverse drive by shot at but none hit before they can get into cover.​
IBocZqT.png

FL3yNmG.png
The two agents move deeper into cover. Moidunov moves out to peek and spots them moving.​
yAceTcy.png

rcPqDAX.png
Gurodazi spots them moving into the building. Now we can make a move.​
GXn3KHq.png

oqpZLvd.png
They move out and pile up on the door.​

Last edited:
Update 2.2 - January 1997
eaGw9Lp.png

iUPTKeB.png
The two operatives move into the building.​
YQ23GXv.png

9gyQItE.png
...and are swiftly ambushed. In a split second, Moidunov grabs onto the cultist's hand and steers the gun away, but gets winged by the first one.​
9gyQItE.png

9M3WJzW.png

TXuqhxw.png
Moidunov bashes the cultist over the head with a stun baton, while Goudarzi disables him with a taser. Gourdazi moves in to detain the second one, but misses with his taser.​
HaHIXV2.png

Y7Mgg5L.png
The cultist opens fire, shooting Gourdazi two times in the chest. Hopped up on adrenaline and out of ammo, Gourdazi rushes at him and beats the cultist with a stun baton. Gourdazi begins to feel light headed, and before he can collapse, Moidunov finishes the job.​
Y7Mgg5L.png

BcSL2tq.png

dp4FmN0.png
Case Closed.
We turn over the equipment and a cultist to the Council for a cash bounty. We keep one cultist for interrogation. How we got him past air security is questionable.​
34wB2aU.png

UUT60h5.png
For their bravery, the duo are promoted to Senior Agents, although they'll be in medbay for weeks, and Gourdazi is on life support.

Church of Dagon...what's next? Fish people?​

Last edited:
Update 2.3 - January 1997
r3C94uf.png

pZ2bjFO.png

mgU2dwo.png
Two days later we received reports of cultists in Volgograd. Bravo Team was deployed, consisting of Stejepan ?uricic (The computer logs don't support Cyrillic, it's become somewhat of a in joke among the agents), and Patrick Fitzgerald.​
ECfIiiD.png

EAXKFTv.png

d008M7q.png

pLKQuke.png

Bma7oOA.png

UFtZJ9h.png
We find our first cultist, holding a baseball bat. Fitzgerald, in a panic, shoots him dead.​
m44UUfT.png

pOUIRhC.png
The two agents hole themselves up in one of the buildings and switch to non lethal.​
sAKFmjC.png

sAKFmjC.png

Yk2Vcwa.png
Fitzgerald moves out to find another cultist, this one armed with a Serrated Knife and Skorpion SMG. They move back in for cover.​
mGPbvSk.png
The cultist is chased into a building. Once spotted, he rushes to stab ?uricic, only to be parried and stunned.​
7FYGaYX.png

3KqTlXh.png
Case Closed.
The captured cultist revealed himself to be a part of the Red Dawn, a Russian gang. Why they choose to arm their goons with baseball bats, we may never know.​

Update 2.4 - January 1997
eram6Hi.png
A few more storage lockers have been built into the base, which should contain more evidence.​
fmSawr5.png

WaDmxgW.png
We've received intel reports of Crop Circles in a field near a reported UFO case. Alpha Team is sent to investigate, consisting of Fua Un-Nooh and Joerg Zimmerman.​
ygUmLDi.png

Euxtwop.png

9qfzrOT.png

vGoVOkS.png

R4TP4X4.png
After getting out of the car, Zimmerman has eyes on two farmers, one of them armed with a Mossberg 500. The team moves for cover behind the house.​
oY4cFIe.png

qQkbJ6E.png
Un-Nooh moves out of cover and at the Pitchfork wielding farmer with his Taser. With the farmer still standing Zimmerman moves in and fires at the farmer, knocking him unconscious.​
kUf9iH1.png
The second farmer is detained.​
mZA7s4T.png

vlzOV3P.png
Case Closed.
A strange blue slime was found in the center of the crop circle.
Lovecraft Fanboys, Russian Gangsters, now Crazy Farmers?​

Last edited:
Update 2.5 - January 1997
UXmQtNg.png

XSP3Sl7.png
A week later the technicians finished building more living quarters. The council got mad at us for the crop circles. What were we supposed to do? Replant the crops?​
eWIKRMV.png

dZcqRSt.png
Another week passes and we've detected strange mauling victims in Greenland. Bravo Team is sent to investigate, consisting of Ines Leroy and Lani Waiohenga.​
EwUj7yA.png
Another strange mauling incident is detected in Indira Point. Alpha Team is sent in to investigate.​
Cm4Zqfv.png

8DudmNz.png

cZPvpCF.png

liPyINd.png

tDYOdoM.png

I1e9AHL.png
Bravo Team arrives in Greenland.

They move out and spot a strange ape-like creature.​
fBDHYTs.png
Soon more close in. Bravo Team backs off to the car.​
haAWTGZ.png

o7IPJ12.png

9CPStUK.png

MCxnyF3.png
One tries to go for Ines, but she blocks the punch with her shotgun, then equips her taser and fires twice. Lani picks up the massive hulk and drags it into the car. She communicates through the microphone that they're bringing back one and leaving.​
cAC4sOg.png

J2IIxbI.png
Before Agent Waiohenga can get into the car, she is knocked over the head by one of the Mongorns, as Ines hits the ignition and drives away.

Case Closed. First Blood.
We met our first Cryptid if you can believe it, even secured a live subject. But it did not come without a cost.​

Huh, a cultist version of X-COM? You've got my attention, this looks like a decent reskin of the game, and I couldn't help but silently name the first two agents Reno and Rude, considering the look of these nice Men In Black.

Huh, a cultist version of X-COM? You've got my attention, this looks like a decent reskin of the game, and I couldn't help but silently name the first two agents Reno and Rude, considering the look of these nice Men In Black.
You can find it on the first page of a google search but here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=4595.0
Don't look past page 1 there are mega spoilers!

Update 2.6 - January 1997
IAFOO8L.png

DWFo93G.png
While Alpha Team was heading to Indira Point, we detected another strange life form.
We also received negative press from some of our opponents on the council for a Strange Life Form we dismissed.​
Sc4WKq0.png

J3ZkeTZ.png

9yN2A5z.png

y5kdwHF.png

6DLkKcW.png

Y4nmNrm.png
Alpha Team lands in Indira Point. Off the bat Fuo Un-Nooh spots the creature, a large porcupine-like creature. Both team members pile up on a fence.​
ghvbyIv.png

7n3eF0T.png
Suddenly, a projectile whizes by Fuo's head, killing Joerg Zimmerman. The gore-cubine rushes Fuo, grabbing onto him and biting him. He escapes to the car and drives off.​
WCIWEKA.png

h1maNpG.png

DaYY6Zr.png
Case was not Resolved.
I lost an experienced agent and got another injured.​

Update 2.7 - January 1997
eAwY1WK.png

7BcnOqv.png
Another base exit was constructed, allowing another team to be formed. I will hold off on that until I get better Logistics.

Bravo Team, consisting of the OG team (Stejan and Patrick) is sent to investigate a Strange Life Form in Mongolia.​
IQancuP.png

bfUQkqN.png

PtRQVej.png

Jb9gfum.png
Stjepan spots a strange wolf-man hybrid.​
1ISKLVJ.png

JOuyAWV.png
Before they can move in, it kills a civilian. It's bloodlust forces it to rush the duo, killing Stjepan, only to be filled with buckshot by Fitzgerald.​
iUVoWtJ.png

Swprtt4.png

Xotaw1S.png
Case Closed.
Another death to add to the growing number of casualties. Not only that, but a growing number of Strange Life Form cases. As of yet, we do not know where this recent phenomena originates from. It should be our top priority to discern this.

They will be avenged.​

Update 2.8 - January 1997
UPbZWN6.png

ZJad0jv.png
We've gotten reports of cultist operations in Port Moresby. Bravo Team is deployed, consisting of Sofia Giordano and Arstanbek Moidunov. On the way we got reports of a Strange Life Form that we weren't able to track.​
gsBRMje.png

miCxfBY.png
The Chief Medical Officer submitted a report in the afternoon about research into medicine. While she hasn't made any substantial contacts yet, she assures me that it will pay off.​
nNySmA0.png

hFGp461.png
In the meantime we get reports of a Strange Life Form in Mongolia, and the new green recruits arrive.​
KgDafLi.png

SDxwh0B.png

xbJO95r.png

p34hW61.png
Moidunov piles up on the door, while Giordano piles up on the window, ready to breach.​
Q1GgBmg.png

86iD63m.png

QikTKJz.png
A cultist turns a corner armed with a Serrated Knife and a Colt Government. He is quickly detained by Giordano.​
PqjFrTR.png

RiWUSzz.png

tHVqFQO.png
Arslanbek spots an Ax-wielding cultist. Giordano moves into the building.​
CGp1XDG.png

H8hgcVe.png
The cultist is ambushed from behind and detained.​
Z12ngtw.png

UXKzSYI.png
Case Closed.
This new cult members claim to be a part of something called "EXALT," they're a bit twitchy, murmuring something about Cyclones...​

Update 2.9 - January 1997
EyFk7Sy.png
Alpha Team reaches a second cult apprehension, consisting of Thulani Mphela and Ines Leroy.​
5pKi7gL.png

IQHTem6.png

QdiQdWL.png

oVseBO9.png

EDI4jin.png
We find a cultist wearing a martial arts suit, with a Tonfa in one hand and Throwing Knives in the other. Alpha Team moves to cover.​
U77nMwp.png
Alpha Team moves up.​
x4SMK9X.png

POFGfKw.png

Kjdi5hz.png
Ines, still jumpy from the Greenland mission, shoots a cultist dead in his tracks.

They move out and spot the first cultist.​
Qobibh8.png

WjHAzX5.png
He tanks both tasers and manages to get a few throwing knives into Thulani's chest. Before he can run, Ines bashes him with a stun baton.​
sjWy7ky.png

8ui3x9Z.png
Case Closed.
These cultists seem to be part of an organization called the Black Lotus. They're blabbering nonsense about a "Holy Avatar."

Things just seem to get crazier and crazier...​

Update 2.95 - January 1997
BDnvQNK.png
Bravo Team arrives at the site.​
d7EpWR6.png

6A4hozY.png

4rLrznU.png

gtusVuS.png
Right off the bat she spots a humanoid creature, pale and hunched over drooling green slime. It looks like...a zombie?​
7Egrt4M.png
The two back off and give it a warning as it shambles away.​
Cwdkrmy.png
A bullet whizzes by, shot from one of the local hunters. The zombie continues to shamble towards the hunter.​
zXAaY6S.png

0QYwSrR.png
The team moves up with tasers in hand to subdue the zombie.
They meet up with one of the locals, neither of them speak the language but they can understand that he's relieved that help has arrived.​
bhbkGC7.png

sygUoKq.png

ZqRsx34.png

rMBqi91.png
They face it down, and kill it.​
XNeq7Mp.png

jH02AC6.png
Case Closed.
We found a zombie...first The Wolf Man now Afternoon of the Living Dead?​
8LqX63Z.png

YIV22z5.png
We received a Land Survey from the council. It requires an engineer. A loophole in the pay system means staff can get paid the full month check as long as they're hired before the month's over.​
EhZiM42.png
The month ends with a good report.​

Last edited:
Update 3.1 - February 1997
FEBRUARY 1997
DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS LOG #3
5O4kDd7.png

SRFpWwq.png

ZVbSzYC.png

70wF8dA.png
To replace our fallen agent, I'm hiring another agent, as well as an engineer to unbox the Land Survey.

While I am...certainly unhappy with the Accountant's rudeness, I have to commend him for allowing us to secure better logistics. Now we can transport 4 agents to a mission, at the cost of extremely reduced travel time.

I've reassigned a scientist to perform an autopsy on those...zombie men we found on the last mission.​
NDBKrQY.png

W2Cy0KD.png
We picked up a report of an "exobiological contamination" in Greenland. That place seems to be a hotspot for strange life forms.​
ibPqofv.png

dURwWSi.png

xIdnJDt.png

PuFUKyR.png
Engineer and new Agent arrived at the break of dawn. I immediately assigned him to perform a land survey.

A couple council salvagers broke into the apartment of a so-called "paranormalist," discovering ten vials of blood plasma containing an unidentified organic compound. A strange bat corpse and feline man hybrid were found in his refrigerator.​
bArwt5U.png

ZzCjvY0.png

rXk14u8.png

pVKq7mA.png

47Fnuz6.png

8f7tXYj.png

ELrIHLh.png
Transcript of EXOBIO-001 (Operation: Icy Fury)
T+0:01 (Mission Control): Cierra-One to base do you copy? Have you arrived safely in the AO?
Pause
T+0:01 (Mission Control): Cierra-One? Do you copy?
T+0:02 (Ines Leroy, C1): It's...
T+0:02 (Mission Control): Cierra-One?
T+0:03 (Ines Leroy, C1): ...an Abomination​

Last edited:
Update 3.2 - February 1997
The mission took a fairly long time, mostly consisting of searching around in the dark. I'll just provide the highlights.​
xzeyjHs.png

fsD8nbH.png

zzbEwJX.png

fPoBfN5.png
The team sets up in a firing line and kills the first abomination. These things, whatever they are, are susceptible to guns.​
PNmDlXx.png

QVXSQVM.png
Ines shoots the second Abomination twice, disabling it.​
VpKhrqz.png

bFGoxPR.png

fW0SwvO.png
Steck and Munkhbold chase an Abomination deeper into the Arctic abyss.

Leroy and Giordano find a second Abomination and kill it.​
KaWv6AR.png

hwNrPMD.png

o3Uq2dw.png

asnkF77.png
The second Abomination is chased deeper and deeper. Munkhbold deals the final blow.​
KkMgTYf.png

ibDZt9B.png
Leroy's team moves back to the van and spots a fifth. It's swiftly dealt with by a local hunter.​
gcmkV4r.png

x3UEAKn.png
Leroy's team spots the sixth and final Abomination, finishing it off.​
IJTEGiw.png

hRfpCa3.png

CsRliSm.png
Case Closed.
Some friends of the council are willing to pay a pretty penny for any of the Abomination corpses. I disagree, we need as many as we can to study. These Abominations defy the very laws of physics. Our chief medical officer laments that it may very well be of...extraterrestrial origin.​

Update 3.3 - February 1997
From now on I'm only going to show kills. Walking around for an hour isn't exactly important history.​
nzfOPiO.png
Bravo Team arrives in Mongolia.​
LCn7m0R.png

utBx0ZA.png

THC9z73.png

iJ2q6c3.png
The team gets out of the car and spots a werewolf. They both immediately open fire.​
dhCy02h.png

qbQqKnd.png

aIiHQKN.png

hnnfmq5.png

1wicEiS.png
They spot another werewolf, a fresh body beside it.​
qNbOvlH.png

tvaxo1c.png
Case Closed.​
2dHenZn.png

72CIoTm.png

XSN2wNB.png

Lub8g34.png

Bpzc6FR.png

X0dknXP.png

D507pFB.png

GViJfAu.png

A scientist is assigned to interrogate one of the EXALT members. They seem the most sane...somehow.
We detect another Dagon incursion in Madrid. While Cierra Team is heading there, the intelligence officer finishes some projects.

A land survey is unboxed as well.​

Update 3.4 - February 1997
ryxHLig.png
Cierra Team lands in Madrid.​
H5147Hx.png

GMY8QO0.png

1O4VH3J.png

Mibhzc9.png

8wbjBsv.png
A cultist is spotted off the bat.​
LXibvC7.png

E1a0S0T.png
Munkhbold gets shot by a cultist from the left. That cultist is quickly detained-for-life.​
vzP9BMq.png
Steck double taps that cultist, killing him.​
fAshyif.png

Gx3GOKL.png

YUVLJPe.png
Case Closed.​
mGpZp0T.png

d7bgfN0.png

vGbqxKu.png

I put a scientist to research crowbar acquisition for cover missions. Finally, we can open boxes without the Intelligence Officer's nails…
k0l3kYX.png
We acquired clearance non-standard weapons. Including crowbars.​

Update 3.5 - February 1997
SBR418z.png

zex1GZ8.png
The crowbars finally arrived at the base. The council berated us again for leaving a few crop circles unplanted.​
qbEIMmo.png

JyuFzRp.png

vACHDkK.png

Dvqk5f9.png
The interrogation with the EXALT Infiltrator finished. I assigned the other scientist to the Zombie autopsy.​
fQvdK11.png

NdU4pan.png

C2Ie4jF.png
...let me get this straight. These scientists have been working for a month, to secure LEATHER JACKETS?! I put them on researching some ACTUAL protective gear.​
mtjeBnE.png
We got reports of Black Lotus on Solomon Island.​
cwGkfuR.png
Body cam footage got corrupted. But both suspects were killed, no agents were killed, but Fuo was injured.​
rmMlB2x.png

aIbRsF2.png

VTAvXHw.png
Zombie Autopsy finished. The results are...disturbing to say the least. Whether this was a biological weapon or a natural phenomena is yet to be determined.

We have a scientist begin writing up a summary report of our findings so far. This will get us more clearance with the UN.​
Jms3Wsc.png

v7Mcr3d.png
Cierra Team deployed.​

tTr8kIR.png

rwY22vx.png

1pvGEub.png
Cierra Team moves out of the van.

The Homicidal Maniac is spotted with an Uzi and Machete.​
x06mAmK.png

bY7RnWG.png
The team moves out, Leroy gets shot with an Uzi.​
dqh1cCq.png
The agents pile up on the door, ready to breach.​
4U0toY4.png
The cultist moves down the stairs, only to be met with a barrage of CO2 and Taser Fire.​
YG5vKmE.png

OcVQsGU.png
Case Closed.
The homicidal maniac was detained, and the council rewarded us greatly for saving those civilians.​
prKGIU2.png
The month ends with a great report.​

So what exactly is the endgame for this mod? 'w'

So what exactly is the endgame for this mod? 'w'
rufus no look
You bag a cultist. He spills the beans on a cult base. You go to the cult base and bag a higher ranked cultists. Do this until you destroy the organization. Do that 4 times
Invasion happens 1999. Thankfully you have enough clearnce by then to get ospreys and migs. Eventually you research alien tech and normal XCOM ensues.
You torture enough aliens and space neonazis for them to spill the beans on an alien lunar colony. You launch a sattelite or sommin and raid the moon colony.
You raid the moon colony and get data that the aliens' REAL base is on mars. You launch the Avenger blah blah blah

okay so I might as well share this highlight

I got a mission called "anti monster police operation"
basically a bunch of police officers are fighting cryptid so you gotta help
lmao there are like 20 officers fighting these abnormally large and aggressive beetles.

I'm in the beginning of 1998, and I gotta say this mod is very enjoyable, showing the humble beginnings of X-COM and its MiB/WiB killing cryptids and cultists by the dozen. Tech-wise, I'm starting to get helicopters, Humvees and the initial black ops weapons, which fit very well with my current playstyle of insane gunslingers wielding Magnum revolvers and Desert Eagle semi-autos akimbo. Interestingly, the amount of human opponents make wounds much more likely, whereas ayyyyy guns tend to be instakill in the original game.

Back
Top Bottom