What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salbazier's Random Blather About Salbazier's Media Consumption

FInish binging on Nogi Wakaba Wa Yuusha de Aru, manga version.

Read on some Spice & Wolf novels. Still about halfway left.

FInish binging on Konosuba up to the latest stuff, sans some side stories

Looking at clips of old tokusatsu shows, while it actually quite easy to tell its fakeness, at the same time it was amazing the effort they expend in making it as believable as possible. In the scene linked above, Janperson and Gun Gibson are giving double jump kick to Bilgoldy (from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokusou_Robo_Janperson). This could easily lead to injury or too much of fake-looking scene. But the suit actors still managed to cut it very close but safely. Looking very closely the kicks don't actually hit, they aimed at slightly above Bilgoldy's shoulders and slighly to the side of the head. But Janperson's and Gun Gibson's suit actor aimed it very close, and Bilgoldy's actor, as soon as the feet come to almost touching to his helm, immediately reacted as if there's actual impact. Followed with quick back movement on Bilgoldy's part and and a bit of SFX, it can be quite hard to tell that there wasn't actual hit. Especially for viewers caught up in the flow*. Excellent fight choreography there.

*though the side effect of being caught up in the flow, is that you can miss appreciation for moments like this. I certainly didn't have such contemplation like this when I watched the series in childhood. And it need repeated watch of this music video clip to realize the beauty of this scene. Which make it even more amazing in retrospect. So much effort spend for but a fleeting moment of excitement in the audience. Come to think of it, that's not a uncommon thing in cinematography.

ou know what I want to see more in these Sci Fi shows? German officers. We've seen the gambit from Russians (hell, in Babylon 5 the Second in Command -Susan Ivanova- is a Russian Jew, and if you know your Russian history... that is usually a death sentence) to Americans to British to Frenchmen, yet I haven't seen a single German officer. The Prussian Efficiency mixed with the PARTY HARD of the southern German states. The sort of man who would not only love opera but also HEAVY METAL, that sort of thing.
"We are the Swede. Representation is demanded beep boop."
"We are Swiss." *awkward silence disturbed only by precision mechanical watch ticking*
*Brazilian enters through door and dances across the room to exit though the other door*

And, well, aboriginal peoples could use some more love beyond "we am of the land, fear our magic".

Frankly, most places are real low on representation. Even the white representation tends to focus on only Britain, Germany, France, Russia, and a bit of Italy. There may be a Spaniard in there somewhere. Like, when was the last time you saw a Portuguese in SF? Hungarian? Croatian? Vampire Romanian? And that's just the one continent where you can easily pull from the gigantic acting pool of white people.

"We are the Swede. Representation is demanded beep boop."
"We are Swiss." *awkward silence disturbed only by precision mechanical watch ticking*
*Brazilian enters through door and dances across the room to exit though the other door*

And, well, aboriginal peoples could use some more love beyond "we am of the land, fear our magic".

Frankly, most places are real low on representation. Even the white representation tends to focus on only Britain, Germany, France, Russia, and a bit of Italy. There may be a Spaniard in there somewhere. Like, when was the last time you saw a Portuguese in SF? Hungarian? Croatian? Vampire Romanian? And that's just the one continent where you can easily pull from the gigantic acting pool of white people.

I wish there were more Balkans in Sci-fi and I only slightly say that because the entire Balkan Region could be renamed "our accents are Daddy AF" and nobody would argue.

I want to see more Indonesian representation myself.

Hell, nevermind Indonesian. I can't remember of seeing South East Asian representation or reference in any western SF. Well, okay, come to think of it, there's Starship Tropper's Rico. He's Fiflipino in the novel if I remember correctly.

Jakarta mentioned once in Code Geass and there's a space colony named after Bangkok's another name in Gundam 00.

That's about it that I can remember.

When 'Asian' got represented it always East Asian, sometimes Indian.

Hell, nevermind Indonesian. I can't remember of seeing South East Asian representation or reference in any western SF. Well, okay, come to think of it, there's Starship Tropper's Rico. He's Fiflipino in the novel if I remember correctly.

Jakarta mentioned once in Code Geass and there's a space colony named after Bangkok's another name in Gundam 00.

Amen. Southeast Asia have over 600 million people and we can't even get more than an occasional mention? Boo...

Here's to a future SF writer from SEA breaking into the mainstream.

Currently reading Seikai no Monshou/Crest of the Stars. The story is good, but the translation is indeed rather bad like some people said

Currently reading Seikai no Monshou/Crest of the Stars. The story is good, but the translation is indeed rather bad like some people said
does Indonesia have its own anime?

Depends what you call an anime.

If anime is specifically a Japanese animation done in certain style and following a certain tropes, then Indonesia can't have its own anime because they aren't Japanese and it's actually creators' nationality what matters.

Depends what you call an anime.

If anime is specifically a Japanese animation done in certain style and following a certain tropes, then Indonesia can't have its own anime because they aren't Japanese and it's actually creators' nationality what matters.

Well, there's always Upin & Ipin. :p

Haha in a deiselpunk/fantasy setting I'm working on one of the great power is an expy of the Mataram empire. Although I still struggle to came up with a name so I just calls them "The Equatorial Federation", federation because it's an EU esque alliance made up of SEA countries.

Also Dayak catgirls.

There's a tokukatsu show, Bima Satria Garuda, made in partnership with the makers of Kamer Rider series.

Well, there's always Upin & Ipin. :p
Seriously though that show have some suprisingly good writing.

Been reading The Beast Arises series of WH40k novels since few days ago. Good stuff.

Back
Top Bottom