What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SciFi...what first attracted you?

Senmut

Author
Simple. Most of us here are fans of one SciFi genre or another. Many of multiple types. What first attracted you to SciFi to begin with? What sustains your interest/attarction therein?

As I recall, I just grabbed a random book from my mother's library, Invaders from Rigel. It's a pretty bad one in many ways, but I was a little kid and the flaws went over my head. It got me so interested in sci fi that I picked the next novel that looked interesting, also mostly at random; Creatures of Light and Darkness. A much better book, but much more challenging for Kid Me; Invaders I read in a day or so, Creatures turned into a project that I puzzled through off and on all summer, and forgot the start before I finished. I still enjoyed it enough that I still almost exclusively sci fi and fantasy.

Well.

If we are talking SF in general, I will have to place the blame firmly on Saturday/Sunday morning.

Local channels back then after a pretty spectacular toon zone with things like Transformers, they would air classic SF movies and series fom the 60's and 70's, like BattleStar Galactica, the original version and Flash Gordon.

I loved them. No I fucking adored them.

If we are talking books then all I can say is that I was a bookworm through and through from age 9? 10?

I would read anything I could get my fucking hands on. ANYTHING.

Fantasy and Science fiction became my bread and butter, immensely assisted by the fact that during that era I could still find dozens of cheap, soft bound SF books from another era.

Isaak Asimov, the Barsoom series,various Raypunk novels, the fucking Proffesor X Blade series, probably the prime Isekai series before Japanese even knew of the term, I devoured everything

Sounds like a rich field of interest, here.
Anyone else?

Anyone that started out with things like GI Joe, the Spiral Zone, Transformers, or the myrial of Japanese Giant Robot toons or things like Captain Harlock can't seriously claim they do not like SF.

And that is as far as we older folks are concerned

What would you say sustains your interest, as an adult? Any particular aspect, a certain sub-genre, or just the whole ball of anti-matter?

Fond memories mostly.

I mean sure I have devoured hundreds of SF books as an adult but the last... 5? years I slowed down and stopped.

I mean I was excited by thing like the Picard series or a couple of other series and pure SF movies but never actually got around to actually see them.

Same with books.

The urge simply is no longer there.

Similar for me. I read less that once I did, and I find most SF put out these days not worth crossing the street to see for free. But there are a few, and we'll always have the good stuff that got us started.

I was in kindergarten when I saw Star Wars.

As 4-year-old flashing lights and fancy spaceships going *whoosh* was a big attraction.
almost 40 years later I have to be honest and the above-mentioned things are still the biggest selling point.

Jokes aside, the freedom the writers have in putting the characters in outlandish worlds and situations is what keeps me interested.
Plus it is a vast expanse of content. From things like Philip K. Dick Stanisław Lem, Strugatcy brothers, to the lower brow things like Terminator and Time Cop. Sci-Fi has something interesting in it.
It has everything from comedy to horror.

I think it started with Star Wars, Flash Gordon though at that time I was more exposed into sword and sorcery and fantasy. Then I got my first library card at...was it 7 or 8? Thereabout-ish anyway and it just took off.

Like @Eliar I discovered the classic writers like Asimov, Dick, Howard and Burrough, though I visited Amtor with Carson Napier first before Barsoom.

Back
Top Bottom