What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I've been trying to learn how to draw and stuff.

C

Celene

And I'd really, really like any tips, I'm just, ugh horrible at it right now.

Pencil & paper or drawing software? If it's the case of the former just take your time and visualize (although you might not want to listen to me, since my drawings tend to crap)

If the latter, the answer is Potato Paint Tool SAI. Practice drawing lines on something that can run on even the shoddiest of hardware and has various levels of pen stabilization. Just keep tracing things until you get comfortable with how anatomy is put together.

Also, don't let your kittens chew on the pen tablet USB cords.

Do you have anything to share?

Can't help you improve if we don't know what the base level is.

For instance... if you want to draw cities, you will need to learn how to use perspective.
Want to draw faces, you need to learn where the eyes are and the nose.
Want to draw people in dynamic poses, you need to learn how to work with bodies that move and you need to use frames.

Can't help you improve if we don't know what the base level is.

For instance... if you want to draw cities, you will need to learn how to use perspective.
Want to draw faces, you need to learn where the eyes are and the nose.
Want to draw people in dynamic poses, you need to learn how to work with bodies that move and you need to use frames.
I'm really eager to learn, But I just have no idea where or how to start, I am below beginner, most people drew when they were young, I did not, I could not write even, in highschool I had to use a PC, because my ability to write were so bad.

But I try and just practice, but there's no real way I've found to actively apply any teaching stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, there's an old story I been told about how some famous artist back in the day drew over a thousand pictures of an egg as part of the training process. While you probably don't want to go that hardcore drawing simple objects is a good start...

Well, there's an old story I been told about how some famous artist back in the day drew over a thousand pictures of an egg as part of the training process. While you probably don't want to go that hardcore drawing simple objects is a good start...
I try to do this :) but not enough! I shall double my efforts!

I've been drawing things since middle school as a sort of hobby to help me release stress, and I've gotten in deep trouble with some of my teachers because of it. I've drawn crude starships, battle scenes, cruder vehicles... the list goes on. I never had the money to get them fancy tablets and software... so I'm stuck with grid-paper and what not.

Let me tell you, it isn't easy even as a hobby...

I've been drawing things since middle school as a sort of hobby to help me release stress, and I've gotten in deep trouble with some of my teachers because of it. I've drawn crude starships, battle scenes, cruder vehicles... the list goes on. I never had the money to get them fancy tablets and software... so I'm stuck with grid-paper and what not.

Let me tell you, it isn't easy even as a hobby...
oh yes, I'm well aware, but it's also not easy entirely lacking any creative outlet!

*just a slight reminder that gmax is completely free 3D modeling software, but of course that's different from drawing*

oh yes, I'm well aware, but it's also not easy entirely lacking any creative outlet!
Just get some paper and pencils to sate it until you get the money for better stuff... while it hasn't exactly improved mine, it kept my skills around at least.

Just get some paper and pencils to sate it until you get the money for better stuff... while it hasn't exactly improved mine, it kept my skills around at least.
Actually I have a drawing tablet I used, I got it because long term it's actually easier for me to use.

Back
Top Bottom