What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

Chatokay

Self-proclaimed FiC official absinthe provider :)
Alright, first a request. Let try to stay civil here, I mean if us French can be with the Brits, then surely you can be as well, right ? It's a very hard time for them, at least for those who didn't ask to be pulled in this situation, so no need to needlessly add on it.
So comments are fine of course, as informative links and posts, but try to keep the joke at a minimum, thank you, and if you do always add something of value as well, thank you.
This being said:
The Democratic Unionist party has threatened to pull the plug on Theresa May's government, warning it is not bluffing when it says it will not accept a border in the Irish Sea.

Nigel Dodds, the leader of the DUP in the House of Commons, said the party would vote against May if she returned from Brussels with a deal that involved new checks on goods coming into Northern Ireland from Britain.

"We will vote against it. We will vote for our red lines," he told the Guardian.
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...eu-hits-out-irresponsible-uk-northern-ireland
I don't really know what to say, or to think. I would have think of of two bad choices (in your opinion, I personally think there is only one bad choice here), you should choose the lesser. But it seems that the DUP isn't, that they prefer a situation that could lead to unrest.

Frankly, I'm a bit sad for our Irish cousins here, because they will be the ones paying the price of Downing Street's arrogance and short-sightedness. It won't be HM's government or Brussels being fucked over, but completely unrelated people near the border in Ireland who'll get fucked just because some MPs and a PM tried to be smarter than they are while failing to realize the 19th century is over and Britannia does not rule the waves anymore.

Frankly, I'm a bit sad for our Irish cousins here, because they will be the ones paying the price of Downing Street's arrogance and short-sightedness. It won't be HM's government or Brussels being fucked over, but completely unrelated people near the border in Ireland who'll get fucked just because some MPs and a PM tried to be smarter than they are while failing to realize the 19th century is over and Britannia does not rule the waves anymore.
Eh, those within Britain's halls of power still think that their geopolitical bullshit is still viable when it wasn't after Napoleon took a stroll across Europe and Germany outpaced it in the economic, industrial, and scientific fields with the military close behind in 1900.

Unless Britain becomes the same pancake that Germany became in WW2, this sort of thinking is probably going to stay until the end of time.

Actually, this and another thread make me wonder something. To our British posters, @Horton and others, how is 19th-20th century portrayed in public education in UK?

There can't be a hard brexit without restarting the Troubles while at the same time causing a split in Parliament that will complicate the British response to that.

There can't be a soft brexit without the brexit supporters not getting anything they actually wanted and thus destroying the Tories for the forseeable future.

Those are the choices. They both end with Tories out of power. One ends with a lot of dead people.

There can't be a hard brexit without restarting the Troubles while at the same time causing a split in Parliament that will complicate the British response to that.

There can't be a soft brexit without the brexit supporters not getting anything they actually wanted and thus destroying the Tories for the forseeable future.

Those are the choices. They both end with Tories out of power. One ends with a lot of dead people.
Hence my concern about DUP's priorities. Especially considering their stance on the Good Friday Agreement, an agreement they voted against in 98.

Soft Brexit is not going to happen. It only takes a few governments to say NO And a deal is scuppered.

I would like to quote FATAL but that sort of roll would not describe the magnitude of 1st April 2019
And the clock is ticking. All hope is not lost yet of course, but when you see comments like this…
Asked how red her red lines are, the DUP leader replied: "The red line is blood red, it's very red."
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...cept-brexit-border-in-irish-sea-37379988.html
I can't help but to think that alas the date of the 1st April 2019 will indeed be relevant.

Britian should go full nationalist and give their military a nice tune up. Britian should seek to once agian be the mighty power it once was. The British Empire will return!
Anything of value to add ?

Britian should go full nationalist and give their military a nice tune up. Britian should seek to once agian be the mighty power it once was. The British Empire will return!
Perhaps they should return to their roots and sell some opioids to the Chinese again... maybe they'll even get Hong Kong back soon with those ancient and honorable tactics again...

OK, people. I might be the quintessential Frog here, but could we not make it a Brit-whacking circle-jerk here? Many people in UK did not vote for this shit and are going to suffer for no reason because of it.
And not just them. If the Troubles get going there's gonna be death on both sides of the border.

OK, people. I might be the quintessential Frog here, but could we not make it a Brit-whacking circle-jerk here? Many people in UK did not vote for this shit and are going to suffer for no reason because of it.
Yep, let me quote myself

Alright, first a request. Let try to stay civil here, I mean if us French can be with the Brits, then surely you can be as well, right ? It's a very hard time for them, at least for those who didn't ask to be pulled in this situation, so no need to needlessly add on it.
So comments are fine of course, as informative links and posts, but try to keep the joke at a minimum, thank you, and if you do always add something of value as well, thank you.
Seriously people, this is not some sport even, where all you risk to lose is a trophy, or a place in a league, but something that will durably impact the lives of millions of people. So while some jokes might be ok, in order to somewhat lighten the mood, I urge you to not fall to blatant disrespect, thank you.

Perhaps they should return to their roots and sell some opioids to the Chinese again... maybe they'll even get Hong Kong back soon with those ancient and honorable tactics again...
Indeed. China has gotten uppity as of late, and its time they be reminded their place. Taking British drugs, and groveling at the feet of THE GLORIOUS BRITISH EMPIRE. FOR IMPERIALISM!!!!

Indeed. China has gotten uppity as of late, and its time they be reminded their place. Taking British drugs, and groveling at the feet of THE GLORIOUS BRITISH EMPIRE. FOR IMPERIALISM!!!!
Seriously, stop it.

Im actually not joking. I legit want Britian to be imperealist again.
Which is quite a derail from this thread, so if you could make your own, thank you.

Why can't you try be a funny troll instead of just a stupid one?
I know from well informed sources that he is now unable to reply in this thread.

Actually, this and another thread make me wonder something. To our British posters, @Horton and others, how is 19th-20th century portrayed in public education in UK?
I actually asked a RL English friend about it, and here what she wrote me.
my experience is that it fails children. i went to many schools unlike most children my father was in the forces so we moved yearly when in the uk and three yearly when abroad. Service schools are of a higher standard than civilian schools so i was lucky that from 13 - 15 i was at a service school. But we were forced to return home early due to outbreak of war where we were living. We returned to the uk and i had to attend a civilian school. Because civilian schools and service schools at that time ran two different systems i was assessed by civilian standards and because i had not taken or passed an exam called the 11 plus i was told i had to go to a lesser school and was not able to continue my studies for some of the exams i was sitting. i could only take lesser exams because the school i was at did not put children through for anything higher. i rebelled and played truant a lot the last year did not see the point in working for the exams i was sitting. Nowadays that would not happen the 11 plus no longer exists and schools range from low to high levels and children can rise or drop to their ability.

so i guess my conclusion is that things have slowly been improving over the years

when my children went to school they looked out for the clever and the not so clever children and had special needs teachers for both levels one to stop intelligent children from getting bored and ensuring they were educated with peers of the same age which was Heckle*. One to look out for children that struggled with learning keeping them in class instead of holding them back they removed the stigma of special needs teachers by having them for both extremes

both Heckle and Jeckle* had a special needs teacher for differing reasons

i recall when matthew was at junior school his teacher put him bottom of the class as his natural level. i knew he was better than that but i was seen as an interfering parent creating problems for my son by pushing him to hard to succeed. However against there wishes i gave him lessons at home and within weeks he was top of the class. i did try to explain to the teacher and head of school that he had been diagnosed as being of above average intelligence by a child pschologist but they did not want to listen to me

schools tend not to help children that are average spending time on those clever ones that will raise the stats of the school

a lot of the time intelligence is overlooked as unintelligent because the child acts out from boredom

as well as the need to fit in

does this help?

if it helps from what i can work schools now are finally at the same level service schools were back when i was 15

they of course will also have improved since then

i know when Heckle and Jeckle were in school we took on the roman catholic religion so they could go to a catholic school which offered the best education at that time in civilian schools

J.
* Names changed to respect the anonymity of the persons.

And a small disclaimer from my source:
ahh ok, yes you can quote me but bear in mind that my experiences are those of the minority most will not have seen the things i did

and being in the eu was not responsible for the improvement in the education system
if it can help you.

France prepares for a no-deal Brexit, to give UK citizens reciprocal rights

With less than six months to go until the UK leaves the EU, time is running out for a final agreement in the way Britain leaves the block — and France is readying itself for a worst-case outcome.
On Wednesday, France's European Affairs minister, Nathalie Loiseau, put forward a bill that would give the government decree powers to try to reduce the impact of Brexit.
https://www.euronews.com/2018/10/04...-brexit-to-give-uk-citizens-reciprocal-rights

More informations here : https://www.thelocal.fr/20181004/br...-of-reciprocal-rights-worries-brits-in-france

At first glance the words of France's Europe Minister Nathalie Loiseau on Wednesday were reassuring to the estimated 150,000 Britons living in France.

[…]

While no one really thought French authorities would be herding British residents towards the Channel ports on March 30th if there was a no-deal Brexit, the minister's words will still have come as some relief to the thousands who have been living in a state of anxiety since the referendum result.

But the precisions given is of course quite important.

"We want to reach the best situation possible with a view to - and that is quite normal - working in a spirit of parallelism and reciprocity between the status we'll give UK residents in France and the status given to EU citizens in the UK," Loiseau told reporters on Wednesday.
Key word here is reciprocity, if the UK doesn't reply in kind, this won't happen, which is totally understandable.

A positive view on Brexit, finally!

https://www.politico.eu/article/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-brexit/
Yes, Brexit might be economically and diplomatically damaging in the short term, whatever the outcome of the Withdrawal Agreement. But in the long term, the U.K. will win the Brexit battle.

[...]

The country's acceptance of social and class inequalities, the total deregulation of the labor market, its pool of cheap labor, the weakening of trade unions and the reduced scope of its welfare state may be anathema to most Europeans. But together they will offer an advantage to a nation that has always been Darwinian and believed in the survival of the fittest.

[...]

The U.K., free from economic nationalism, has not hesitated to sell the finest jewels in its industrial crown to the highest bidder. What other country would have given up entire parts of its nuclear industry to the Chinese in this way?
It really seems the author is NOT trolling but actually believes their words.

Back
Top Bottom