What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

Well, and the fact that she appeared to be not right in the head. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, or so it has been said, but Brexit has been:

May: Hey, how about this deal!
Parliament: No.
May: OK! Uh, how about the same deal?
Parliament: No!
May: Fine, fine! I will just go back for a different deal. Uh, they said no, so how about the same deal again?
Parliament: Bugger off!
May: Yes. I see. Well, what if I offer to hold a second referendum, but make that contingent on approving the same deal?
Parliament: Go to hell, you crazy old bat!
May: Hmmm... maybe I could offer to resign, but only if you give me what I want?

Her entire philosophy has been to ignore all the claims that the proposal will never be accepted in its current form, and instead she has offered the same bad thing along side various promises that she thinks will sweeten the deal. Except that refusing her offers means that they can still get all those things, but without accepting what they view as a bad deal.

Asking for the same thing over and over again has made May a complete laughing stock. There is no recovery from that.
they would not accept reality,
Brexit=UK gets fucked,
what Parliament want is UK gets rich and the EU pays for it
May accepted a task that could not be done and she was stupid to try and stupider to keep on trying

they would not accept reality,
Brexit=UK gets fucked,
what Parliament want is UK gets rich and the EU pays for it
May accepted a task that could not be done and she was stupid to try and stupider to keep on trying
She could have at least avoided some of the personal backlash by straight out telling parliament that there is only the one deal, the EU will not renegotiate, and when they are ready to accept the deal they can come to the table. Lay out the options to either cancel Brexit or crash out, but make it clear that they cannot just pretend that the deal will change in the future. Lay the responsibility on them.

Instead she came back like a beggar asking for the exact same thing, but looking more and more desperate, and her political career is pretty much over because of that desperation.

She could have at least avoided some of the personal backlash by straight out telling parliament that there is only the one deal, the EU will not renegotiate, and when they are ready to accept the deal they can come to the table. Lay out the options to either cancel Brexit or crash out, but make it clear that they cannot just pretend that the deal will change in the future. Lay the responsibility on them.

Instead she came back like a beggar asking for the exact same thing, but looking more and more desperate, and her political career is pretty much over because of that desperation.
that would be the right thing to do but would require a PM to tell the UK they can't just skate the fact the Empire had fallen anymore

Well, and the fact that she appeared to be not right in the head.
Is anyone?

Way I see it there's roughly 3 ways forward, her deal with minute changes here and there. Hard Brexit. Or integration of Britian into the EU as a full member, because I doubt that the EU will stand for more British demands for special treatment. There's also what I consider option 3.5, muddle forward in the current situation ad nauseam and then pick one of the above three. Right now it's waiting for Pairlament to become so sick of the impasse they choose one or until the EU is sick of the impasse they boot Britain.

Is anyone?

Way I see it there's roughly 3 ways forward, her deal with minute changes here and there. Hard Brexit. Or integration of Britian into the EU as a full member, because I doubt that the EU will stand for more British demands for special treatment. There's also what I consider option 3.5, muddle forward in the current situation ad nauseam and then pick one of the above three. Right now it's waiting for Pairlament to become so sick of the impasse they choose one or until the EU is sick of the impasse they boot Britain.
Parliament need EU to boot them to stay in power

I've been somewhat suspecting that May was bribed selected to be sacrificial scapegoat for this mess, which is why her resignation at this point was slightly surprising to me.

I've been somewhat suspecting that May was bribed selected to be sacrificial scapegoat for this mess, which is why her resignation at this point was slightly surprising to me.
to what end? parliament forcing the EU to boot them?

to what end? parliament forcing the EU to boot them?
To the end of the individual MPs having someone to point to say that they personally aren't responsible for the the incompetent handling of the negotiations, which is more important than having successful negotiations.
But that is more a stray suspicion in an attempt to extract more rationality from the situation than it perhaps has in reality.

To the end of the individual MPs having someone to point to say that they personally aren't responsible for the the incompetent handling of the negotiations, which is more important than having successful negotiations.
But that is more a stray suspicion in an attempt to extract more rationality from the situation than it perhaps has in reality.
they never had a negotiating position, they've chosen to be a third world failed state so their rich can short the country and live like kings over seas, as for what the pms are playing at, for my money get the EU to boot them so those who stay can keep blaming the EU for everything in perpetuity like the Wiemar did the French

Last edited:
The EU saw it coming a mile away and managed to put the ball squarely on the UKs field.

"So you want more time? Ok, do the Euro election properly and then take all the time you want to sort out the mess."

At this point I am fairly certain that the mess will not be over by the next Euro Election :V

61189150_2249736355117386_968994907454701568_n.jpg

Another thing that I've been hearing is that most of the parties that got seats are actually riding on a Hard Brexit (maybe even a punitive one, given how stupid Britain is acting... you really shouldn't have defanged your monarch that much...) so they can profit off of it.

Yeah, that's a thing.

odds are Johnson gets put out front as the next scapegoat as the party trundles on towards the Brexit cliff so the upper-class get to live kings as the country burns and the peasants hurt

Yeah, time to quarantine the bloody island itself. The place have gone mad!
But, but... our beloved furry leader... 😱
Maybe the Tories are just trolling us... 🤡 Yep, that's what I've decided to believe. This is not real at all. RBMK reactors don't explode and BoJo cannot become a leader of anything bigger than a red bus.

Question. How bad would it be for Britain to pull out and finally go on its own?

Go straight to North Korea level? Mass starvations and rioting in the streets? Or would it simply be an economic downturn?

Possibly Eastern Europe level, before the fall of the Wall.

Back
Top Bottom