What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

It's funny. One year ago a successful businesman went on a trip with me and thought the entire brexit thing was bollocks and he'd be fine if he stayed in blighty.

As of last week he is on track to become a Spanish citizen.
There's people asking for dual citizenship all over Europe. I know 35 of them, and that's just my "inner" circle. Spanish, Belgian, French, Irish, German, Italian... A lot of people are trying to find a plan B.

Especially those working for various EU institutions.

Their pursuit for the sun saw them charbroiled. But the brits are not going to end in a nice spot.
Charbroiled seems like an understatement I think.

russeninberlinkl9ax.jpg

And, unsurprisingly, BoJo lost his majority.

London (CNN)Boris Johnson's surprise decision to suspend the British parliament in the runup to the next Brexit deadline appears to have had its desired effect.
Opponents of the British Prime Minister's tactics were left scrambling on Thursday for a response to the move, which limited their options to prevent Britain leaving the European Union without a deal on October 31 if Johnson were determined to pursue that route.
Opposition leaders released a joint statement via Twitter on Thursday night, announcing they will work together to stop Johnson's "smash and grab on democracy."

So I just heard that one of the parties on the rise is in fact the Brexit party. Someone please tell me this is akin to that UKIP thing where they get 10% everywhere but no seats because of the British First past the post thing.

Reactions: EiC
So I just heard that one of the parties on the rise is in fact the Brexit party. Someone please tell me this is akin to that UKIP thing where they get 10% everywhere but no seats because of the British First past the post thing.
Well, it's Nigel Farage's party now... the only problem is that they will cause the Tory party to shift further right.

Reactions: EiC
And the labour goes and shots down his chances of pulling a Theresa May.

Shadow Brexit Secretary Sir Keir Starmer told BBC Radio 4's Today that Labour wanted a general election but "on its terms not Boris Johnson's terms".

He said the party did not "trust" the PM to hold the election before the Brexit deadline - as he has insisted he will - suggesting Downing Street had "lied" last month when it denied reports that it planned to suspend Parliament.

"We are not shy of a general election but we are not going to be trapped into abandoning control of Parliament or be taken in what Boris Johnson says because we don't trust him."

Under the Fixed Term Parliaments Act, a prime minister must have the backing of at least two-thirds of the UK's 650 MPs before a general election can be called outside of the fixed five-year terms.

And the ride continues for poor BoJo as everyone fucks him over.

Brilliant plan to prorogue parliament and try to get MPs to hate your guts enough to force a general election so you can dodge responsibility for the future crash-out.

"Mmmm... no, we won't be doing that. Oh, and we still refuse the terms of the deal that won't be changing, so you will either get another - impossible to attain as all good will has been expended - worthless extension or you will be breaking this new law. What? Did you have a response? I couldn't hear you over the sound of the jet taking me on the vacation you just sent me on. Toodles!"

By brilliant I means stupid. It was a stupid plan. I was using sarcasm when I called it brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom