What's new
Frozen in Carbonite

Welcome to FiC! Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UK Politics The Brexit thread (or All -not- quiet on the western front)

I think at this point, BoJo is certain to put forward every means necessary to paralyze the government such that it will simply over the finish line by sheer inertia.

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland will be out of the European Union whether anyone likes it or not.

Charbroiled seems like an understatement I think.

russeninberlinkl9ax.jpg
It's funny that you used that image, because BoJo had an excellent and very inspiring article in The Telegraph on June 30: We will prove Vladimir Putin wrong by leaving the EU by October 31
Well, that didn't go as planned either. Those pesky Russians... :ROFLMAO:

Any choice highlights for people that do not have a desire to register at the Telegraph?
I wasn't joking when I wrote that the article is excellent and very inspiring, and I agree with a lot of it - it's mostly an enumeration of the various positive qualities of British society, and I do agree with those. For example:
The economic blessings of that modern British culture are obvious. We lead the world in cutting-edge technologies of all kinds – from bioscience to batteries. We have the world's greatest universities, with an unrivalled record in producing original research – and never forget that one in seven of the world's kings, queens, presidents and prime ministers were educated in this country, to say nothing of the Emperor of Japan.
We are the home of innovation and creativity; and there are two basic advantages we have, the fundamental guarantors and guardians of this sense of social freedom. There is democracy, and there is the rule of law. Each depends on the other. Each is vital. Each confers a basic and crucial equality on every person in the country.
What's there not to agree with? And I also like this:
The country that possesses these essential building blocks of liberalism will succeed; the country without them will – eventually – face disaster. To put it simply, if your property can be arbitrarily confiscated by the wife of the president, or by his son-in-law, then you won't start a business in that country and you won't invest. If you can lose a contract unfairly to some politician's chum, then you won't bother to put your money there. And if there is no way that politician can be democratically removed, then corruption will increase, and inefficiency will increase, and the people will suffer, and poverty will grow.
But the big highlight is that BoJo, in his infinite arrogance, decided that he'll mix his incredibly difficult (and practically impossible) task with another one - proving Putin wrong. And now it's almost certain that he has failed (he won't manage a better deal until Oct 31, and he won't pull UK out of EU against the Parliament's express wishes, he's not that crazy), and with it comes the failure of proving Putin wrong. I mean, why did he have to mix those two things? Now he looks doubly stupid and weak, basically losing in a fight he himself has declared.

Oh my, britain may own a better fleet than the russkies, but they surely got scorched.
That is not correct. They have a better aircraft carrier and a couple more modern destroyers, in everything else they're seriously outclassed.

Last edited:
So they outclass russia en virtually all the metrics that matter? Sounds like a better fleet then. ;)

So they outclass russia en virtually all the metrics that matter? Sounds like a better fleet then. ;)
I'm sure most Brits would agree with you ;)

At this point Wales is going to leave the UK
It depends if the EU decides to sink the lifeboats as it were; if it does... well... 'fun' times to be had.

Also, this is going to be the textbook case of one branch of government completely subverting the others (the House of Lords and the House of Windsor hadn't had any real power in decades, minimum).

It depends if the EU decides to sink the lifeboats as it were; if it does... well... 'fun' times to be had.

Also, this is going to be the textbook case of one branch of government completely subverting the others (the House of Lords and the House of Windsor hadn't had any real power in decades, minimum).
If we poor foolish Americans start talking about how to go about fixing that issue it will surely summon the Duck lord of Gul

Last edited:
If we poor foolish Americans start talking about how to go about fixing that issues it will surely summon the Duck lord of Gul
However, the current situation is likely going to be a textbook example. The House of Commons has basically turned the House of Lords and the House of Windsor into ceremonial positions at this point, almost completely defanged them. Oh, and the Duck Lord of Gul has already been summoned mate... because the US has a somewhat better (as in 'one branch hasn't subverted the others almost completely' better) and basically writes everything down.

So, Mr Farage is offering BoJo to form an alliance and that he will get Johnson a 100+ majority in parliament.

Or, in other words.

"I can give you a 100+ majority"
-The man that backstabbed and obliterated his former party out of the European Parliament.

That's going to fair incredibly well!

So, Mr Farage is offering BoJo to form an alliance and that he will get Johnson a 100+ majority in parliament.

Or, in other words.

"I can give you a 100+ majority"
-The man that backstabbed and obliterated his former party out of the European Parliament.

That's going to fair incredibly well!
On the other hand, you can bet on Boris' unashamed opportunism, because he thinks he can outmanouver Farage. The resulting bitchfight/meltdown will be epic ...

On the other hand, you can bet on Boris' unashamed opportunism, because he thinks he can outmanouver Farage. The resulting bitchfight/meltdown will be epic ...
the real joy here is the fact that they both are going to be thrown to the wolves by their masters once the rich get their No deal Brexit and the uk's people get beaten back down stairs

the real joy here is the fact that they both are going to be thrown to the wolves by their masters once the rich get their No deal Brexit and the uk's people get beaten back down stairs
I dunno.. even if he gets kicked out of parliament, unless the UK finally gets serious about financial misdeeds, it's likely they and their ilk will run off scot free after having profited from the mess with a variety of options and derivatives.

Both are the kind of slimy creatures, who'd run to the nearest country with a non-extradition treaty the moment things will heat up a bit, and then spend the rest of their life yammering to anyone in earshot about how Brexit would have been done much much better had they had the free rein they wanted.

One can only hope they don't end up like Robert Knight or John Blunt.

I look away for three weeks and Britain is collapsing.
No, it's the inability of the House of Windsor and House of Lords in keeping their powers... more or less. The House of Commons basically stripped practically any possible countermeasure to the current situation. Add to the various sins of the colonial days and the fact that Europe can't be divide and conquered by Britain anymore...

Back
Top Bottom